Skip to content

Who is your favorite anime villain?

Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
edited February 2014 in Off-Topic
Everyone likes bad guys, once in a while. Especially bad guys who had been former heroes, have noble goals that choose to pursue through vile deeds, madmen/madwomen, or simply homicidal freaks! Just who is your own favorite anime villain? Mine is the one in my avatar, of course!
  1. Who is your favorite anime villain?35 votes
    1. Obito/Tobi from Naruto.
        2.86%
    2. Ivanovic from Dance in the Vampire Bund.
        0.00%
    3. Aizen from Bleach.
        0.00%
    4. Yagami Light from Death Note.
        0.00%
    5. Griffith from Berserk.
        5.71%
    6. Priscilla from Claymore.
        2.86%
    7. Jellal from Fairy Tail.
        0.00%
    8. Perfect Cell from Dragonball.
        8.57%
    9. Caster Bluebeard from Fate Zero.
        0.00%
    10. Other (please specify and drop a line or two for description).
      80.00%

Comments

• ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Vegeta from Dragonball Z. Who cares about Cell? Vegeta was always the nemesis of Goku.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    that's funny, because cell was actually my favourite villain, he was voice acted very well, and plausibly, actually had a good chance of winning, but of coarse deus ex machine comes in to save the day as always
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    There are many great villians throughout anime history who I'm very fond of: the Stupid Prince from Level E, Kanta Mizuno from Desert Punk, Johann Krauser II from Detroit Metal City and Gokudo Yuccot Kikansky from Gokudo are but a few of them.

However, my all-time favourite is clearly Dark Schneider from Bastard!!. There's just something about this immortal mage whose spells are all named after Heavy Metal, Death Metal or Black Metal bands. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2HkKmsNItk
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Nagato/Pain from Naruto.

What I really liked about that guy was the mystery that was surrounding it. He was the facto leader of Akatsuki (even thought Obito was the one pulling the strings from the shadows), yet his face wasn't really shown for a long time, givining birth to some crazy fan-theories. And when it did, there were still many question about him. As te series progressed, we eventually learned all about him, and he turned out to be a tragic character. While that in itself was nothing new in the series, I could understand his reasons for doing all of what he did and I appreciated the fact that villains have their own "justice": basically, sometimes villains are right, too.

I also like him for his insane power. His partner, Konan, has stated that he never lost a single battle - I believe that was the truth, at least prior to his defeat. There are basically three big testaments to his might: first of all, he killed Jiraiya, while even such Akatsuki members like Kisame and Itachi were avoiding a direct clash with the sannin. Pain has stated, thought, that had Jiraiya knew about his secret, he [Pain] would never win. Second, he attacked and destroyed Konohagakure all by himself, and he fought and defeated many shinobi, including Kakashi. Then, after destroying village and being handicaped as a result, he fought main protagonists and nearly win, despite Naruto loosing control of the Kyuubi. Finally, after being used as a reanimation by Kabuto, it took combined forces of Two Jinchuuriki using power of their tailed beasts and Uchiha Itachi using his Mangekyo Sharingan to beat him head-on. Without Itachi, said two Jinchuuriki would be totally screwed.

Also, he's a dynamic character, and I like that kind of a characters.

I really don't know why Tobi and Cell were included into this pool. Tobi lost all of his "badassiness" after his mask shattered, and Cell is an uninteresting villain without any goals.

I regret that I didn't read enough mangas to pick something better than Pain, but someday I might correct that mistake.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    From Rurouni Kenshin, Shishio Makoto.

I don't think any series has had a villain be as much of an actual threat to the heroes as him...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Don't hate me but…
    Tetsuo Shima from Akira.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    I've got a soft spot for the villains I grew up with as a kid. The Slayers villains--Rezo the Red Priest, Hellmaster, Lord Gaav... Queen Beryl, the Nightmare Circus, Evil!Hotaru from Sailor Moon... Lord Zegato from Magic Knight Rayearth earns many bonus points (not just because he looks very similar to the villain from my own stories... No sir) as well as Eagle and Nova from Magic Knight Rayearth 2. Jenai from El-Hazard is a riot (BWAHAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHA!), and yes @elminster, Team Rocket does count!

I tend to enjoy villains who are either comical in nature, or evil with a backstory. Most of my favorite villains aren't even real villains, the more you learn about them at least. Villains whose perspective I could understand, no matter how wrong they may be.

Another, much darker part of my heart has a serious crush on bishounen villains--the most wicked yet beautiful men who strike fear into the souls of others with just their eyes... Or, at least, villains with really deep voices and really evil intentions. Lookin' at you, Dorn old buddy. You too, Irenicus.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Puppet Master
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited February 2014
    I voted Griffith from the available options (have only seen Berserk and Claymore and Ivanovic is my favorite footballer :p)

However, I actually DO like Griffith a lot, which is why I chose him. However I'd probably say my number one favorite is Johan Liebert from Monster and then Father, Greed, Envy and Kimblee from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

...anyone from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    claymore is amazing and the build up to the final fight is godly, also if you follow the manga which i do there is SO much that involves her that is just mind blowing, the last 5 chapters have blown my mind again and again
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I guess my favorites would have to be Gyokumen Koushou and Dr. Nii Jianyi (who himself used to be the Monk Ukoku Sanzo). This is from the Anime/Manga Gensomaden Saiyuki.

Opening and Closing videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxMxA2N4cqo "For Real"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEziFBBp8ns "Still Time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERmhTkNRxiA "Tightrope"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BldsXeF3vsc "Alone"
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Greed from Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I think my favorite part about him is that he's a posterchild for how one should play an Evil-aligned player-character in D&D, valuing your comrades as tools too much to be unwilling to protect them or to betray them at the drop of a hat. He's not too ambitious for his own good, yet he would gladly rule and own literally everything if he had the opportunity.
    edited February 2014
    LadyRhian said:

I guess my favorites would have to be Gyokumen Koushou and Dr. Nii Jianyi (who himself used to be the Monk Ukoku Sanzo). This is from the Anime/Manga Gensomaden Saiyuki.

Oh wow, so much man-power! o.o I like it! (Art style's pretty too. ^_^ )

*adds to must watch list*

Edit: Thanks for the share, LadyRhian! :D
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Ohhh, such an easy and pleasant way to see which forum members like anime and (or) manga;) Thanks @Demonoid_Limewire for such a thread although I think that in a poll like this the "Other" option will always be a winner. The opinions of people differ a lot, there're many strong personalities in anime and manga...

I like Crocodile from One Piece. I think he's soooo badass with his cigar, hook and sand:

I also like Kisame with Samehada - he's a true samurai indeed

My third favourite is Starjun from Toriko in his JT Robo

• Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    edited February 2014
    elminster said:

Does Jessie, James, and Meooooowth from Team Rocket count?

Yes, Aye, Meow, Nyan! How could i ever forget them? :O
    bengoshi said:

Ohhh, such an easy and pleasant way to see which forum members like anime and (or) manga;) Thanks @Demonoid_Limewire for such a thread although I think that in a poll like this the "Other" option will always be a winner. The opinions of people differ a lot, there're many strong personalities in anime and manga...

Hehe, not only to see which forum members like anime and (or) manga, but to also get myself wonderful ideas for expanding my library and filling my free time with new projects! Thanks to you all for your suggestions! This thread turned out to be a really wonderful one!
  • KingGhidorahKingGhidorah Member Posts: 201
    Vote other.
    Kid Buu from Dragonball .

He isn't some fallen hero who got betrayed, nor is he some unscrupulous tyrant.
    He is evil in its purest form since he essentially has the mindset of a child.
    Children's hearts are pure, but because of Buu's origins his heart is pure evil.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @bengoshi

You and I are of like mind. I too enjoy Crocodile and Kisame quite a bit.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    Knives from Trigun.

Though I guess Legato Bluesummers does more damage in the series, he's only following orders. Knives is just #%@$ing insane.
    Damn, my voted villain has had another change of heart, after preserving his life miraculously again, and became a good guy once again, consciously... Now i cannot edit the poll... :( But i like that! My first anime (manga actually) that the greatest villain becomes good again!
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    Ive only really watched Naruto - and Orochimaru always freaked me out. Intelligent and a total sociopath.

Ive only really watched Naruto - and Orochimaru always freaked me out. Intelligent and a total sociopath.

And don't forget his tongue. *shudders*
    Orochimaru too, begun as a good guy, turned villain and traitor on everybody's ass, died, returned, and now is good again... So neither him does really count as villain, now in the metastory...
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 209
    edited July 2017
    Other: 1st. place, Orochimaru! Though, after reading the above post, I feel so spoiled, but I just knew he would return, somehow... the comic relief of his immortality techique made Naruto:Shippuuden so much more enjoyable/or something to wait for (I am currently stuck at episode 275). Something about Kisame strikes in me the odd "half-orc as an fighter/mage" chord. Naruto does have a different kind of view and feel about illusion spells (genjutsu) and the main necromantic-themed spell, Orochimaru´s Edo Tensei, if applicable, would be ridiculously overpowering in BG.

2nd place. Makoto Shishio, the final boss of Rurouni Kenshin, gets a mention too, and all the semi-bosses before him... it would be so clear as a game campaign.

3rd place, Folken, from Escaflowne, for his somewhat David Bowie-ish appearance.

4th place, Incognito, in his final confrontation with Alucard, from the Hellsing... I´m always a little bit confused about the dog soldiers that must be overcome before Alucard is able to save Integral. And his weapon of choice is an odd one, and his connection to the Judas Priest guy - I´d like to know, if such a thing exists, the Judas Priest guy is just briefly shown in the final episode, looking to the sky where Alucard and Incognito have their final battle.

Poste Scriptum:

5th place // Uchiha Madara - Kaguya Otsusuki for 300 ep / 20 ep battles. Way2Go!
    Post edited by Tarlugn on
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Another necro-post on a 4-year-old thread!

As long as I'm here: Frieza from DBZ really stood out to me as a kid. He was an incredibly imposing figure that just got more and more intimidating (except for the Subway Sandwich Head Frieza, anyway) as time went on, and the end of the fight was spectacular.

That was when I was a kid, though, and DBZ is really slow by today's standards. So I'll go with Wrath from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. He starts out very warm and charming before you see his true powers, and even as he turns against Ed as the series progresses, he has this philosophical, "it's nothing personal" approach to his enemies that makes him seem more intelligent and considered--and therefore more dangerous.

A bit like Thanos complimenting Tony Stark in Infinity Way. A villain seems more intimidating if he shows intellect and contemplation.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Naraku from Inuyasha.

He played so, so, so many people greater and lesser than himself into betraying themselves or others.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Another necro-post on a 4-year-old thread!

@semiticgod Yeah, Spambots do that sometimes...
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Ladd Russo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6BrBs-tEtg

It's one of the few animes I recommend watching dubbed, since it's 1920s American gangsters.