Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430
    @argent77 @hook71 thank you for your responses.

It appears to be a permissions issue, Im still trying to sort out.

Similar to @Luke93 I'm unable to add specific file folder access, and I'm not receiving the prompt when the program is opened or installed.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    I'm using the latest java 8 from https://adoptopenjdk.net/?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot
    Perhaps older versions aren't prompting correctly? I would try removing old versions of java - https://osxdaily.com/2017/06/16/uninstall-java-mac/ - and then installing the updated version from the link above. Not being able to manually add entries are normal I think since I can only delete entries.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    hook71 wrote: »
    I'm using the latest java 8 from https://adoptopenjdk.net/?variant=openjdk8&jvmVariant=hotspot
    Perhaps older versions aren't prompting correctly? I would try removing old versions of java - https://osxdaily.com/2017/06/16/uninstall-java-mac/ - and then installing the updated version from the link above.

I got Java from the official site, guess I'll try getting it from your URL or via Brew...
    @argent77

[Courtesy of Kjeron] As far as EE games are concerned:
    • op18,p2=6 is missing.
      Also op18, Special field is missing.
    • What about renaming op44,p2=3 to Bull's strength (since we have op15,p2=3 – Cat's Grace)?
      Moreover, for both op15 and op44, when p2=3 and the effect is applied in SPL/ITM (V1 effects), 'Parameter1 – Value' should turn into 'Unused'...
    • I suggest renaming op265 and op309 to "Modify global/local variable" so as to distinguish them from op187, which can only SET variables.
    • V2 effects, Dispel/Resistance attribute is missing:
      • BIT2
      • BIT31
      Moreover, for both V1 and V2 effects, what about turning the Dispel/Resistance attribute into a bit field? IMHO, it'd be more appropriate...
    • op61: parameter2a – Location should be flagged as unused.
    • op363: should be renamed to "Modal state check". Parameter1 and 2 are unused, only the Special field is used.
    • op336, Parameter2 / op335, Special values should range from '0|None' to '26|Z'.
    • op12, life drain flags: BIT6 & BIT7 are missing.
    • You might want to rename op219 to "Attack & Saving Throw roll penalty"...
    • op243, Parameter2 is unused...
    • op3, Parameter2=2: there's no Blood Rage option (see also IWDEE v2.6 SPPR422 – Blood Rage: it's now using 'p2=1'...)
    • op248, Parameter2=4 (BIT2) is missing... I suggest naming it 'Fist only?'...

For further details (and in case I missed something), please check the IESDP.
    argent77hook71
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Thanks for the info.
    _Luke_ wrote: »
    op18,p2=6 is missing.
    Also op18, Special field is missing.
    Will be added.
    What about renaming op44,p2=3 to Bull's strength (since we have op15,p2=3 – Cat's Grace)?
    That's a good argument. Will be fixed.
    Moreover, for both op15 and op44, when p2=3 and the effect is applied in SPL/ITM (V1 effects), 'Parameter1 – Value' should turn into 'Unused'...
    Will be fixed.
    I suggest renaming op265 and op309 to "Modify global/local variable" so as to distinguish them from op187, which can only SET variables.
    I agree. Will be fixed.
    V2 effects, Dispel/Resistance attribute is missing:
    • BIT2
    • BIT31
    Moreover, for both V1 and V2 effects, what about turning the Dispel/Resistance attribute into a bit field? IMHO, it'd be more appropriate...
    I thought about turning it into a bitfield several times over the last couple of years. I decided against it since it didn't really improve usability back when only the first two bits were used. With two more flags available I'll think about it again.
    op61: parameter2a – Location should be flagged as unused.
    Will be fixed.
    op363: should be renamed to "Modal state check". Parameter1 and 2 are unused, only the Special field is used.
    This is the overly technical name from IESDP. I prefer to use more descriptive names for NI. The current name 'Movement rate check' may not be 100% accurate, but should suffice. I could change it to 'Movement state check' or 'Movement check' though.
    op336, Parameter2 / op335, Special values should range from '0|None' to '26|Z'.
    op336: Will be fixed. op335: Doesn't 'Special' refer to the Type/Eye Group value of op336?
    op12, life drain flags: BIT6 & BIT7 are missing.
    Will be added.
    You might want to rename op219 to "Attack & Saving Throw roll penalty"...
    Yes, saves appear to be affected as well. Will be fixed.
    op243, Parameter2 is unused...
    This is a strange opcode with incompatible parameter types between different game engine revisions. In both variants param2 is unused though; will be fixed.
    op3, Parameter2=2: there's no Blood Rage option (see also IWDEE v2.6 SPPR422 – Blood Rage: it's now using 'p2=1'...)
    Will be fixed.
    op248, Parameter2=4 (BIT2) is missing... I suggest naming it 'Fist only?'...
    Will be fixed.
    hook71
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    argent77 wrote: »
    op336, Parameter2 / op335, Special values should range from '0|None' to '26|Z'.
    op336: Will be fixed. op335: Doesn't 'Special' refer to the Type/Eye Group value of op336?
    Yes, Special(335) corresponds to Eye Group(336,P2), not Sequence(336,P1).
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    edited January 2021
    #243 (0xF3) Item: Drain Item Charges

You can drain charges for a specific item if the resource field is used

#324 (0x144) Protection: Immunity to Resource and Message

The name of the correct resource is displayed instead of the name of the resource the effect instance is located in. It now works as intended in 2.6.

New smart feature: It will attempt to identify the name of the parent spell if this effect is located in a child spell with no name. It does in the following manner: if the effect is used within a spell that has no name but there is a spell in the game who's resname is one character shorter with a valid name, then it will display that name. This feature is used in Sunfire (SPWI523D.spl) to check for thief evasion.

This feature will also attempt to look for an identical resname.itm and display that (identified/unidentified) if the .spl the effect is in doesn't have a name.
    AerakarAciferhook71argent77
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited January 2021
    I am not sure if this is a bug or just my own ineptitude, but whenever I use NI to append an Extended Header to the bottom of a file, be it by copy/paste or by the add button, I get some erroneous "unused bytes?" that appear at the bottom of the file. A real pain, especially since these bytes cannot be deleted in any way I know of using NI (other than restoring a backup). I will give you a Beamdog style repro case to help you solve the problem:

1. Open a spell file (say, spin102.spl) and go to the edit tab.
    2. Select any field so that it is highlighted (the "Signature" field will do).
    3. Click the "Add" button and select "Spell Ability" to add a spell ability.
    4. Save the changes to the resource.
    5. Refresh the Tree and view the resource you just edited.

Observed: Erroneous "Unused Bytes?" appear at the bottom of the file, as seen in the attached screenshot. If the spell is cast in game, the game crashes.

Expected: There should be no erroneous data added to the file which can cause a crash in the game.

Screenshot of issue:
    dbul3xem9u4i.png
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @Tresset
    It's failing to update the "Effects Offset" field when you add an ability header after/below the final one on a spell/item. It doesn't occur when removing ability headers or when adding ability headers before/above the final ability header (or if there are currently 0 ability headers). It was reported back in December on SHS.

Until fixed, add new abilities above/before the existing abilities (by having one of the ability headers selected when pressing "Add...").
    Tresset
    kjeron wrote: »
    @Tresset
    It's failing to update the "Effects Offset" field when you add an ability header after/below the final one on a spell/item. It doesn't occur when removing ability headers or when adding ability headers before/above the final ability header (or if there are currently 0 ability headers). It was reported back in December on SHS.

Until fixed, add new abilities above/before the existing abilities (by having one of the ability headers selected when pressing "Add...").
    This issue is very tricky to fix. I added a workaround for another issue back in May 2020 to ensure that effects offset always points behind the abilities offset, but it seems to have raised just another issue under different circumstances.
    Tresset
  • LogiteksLogiteks Member Posts: 21
    @argent77, are you interested in merging @Bubb's Near Infinity branch with main one? Here are the commits: https://github.com/Bubb13/NearInfinity/commits/EEex
    I've been using this altered NI version extensively without problems. If there are no merge conflicts I think it's worth it (not sure why Bubb has not sent you pull request yet though)

New features and bugfixes sounds exciting but without EEex support I'm forced to stay on the old one.
    I would be happy to include @Bubb's EEex additions. NI already contains TobEx-specific stuff, so EEex support would be welcome. His fork is slightly dated though. I'd rather wait until his fork is up to date with the more recent changes.
    jasteyLogiteks
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    edited January 2021
    @argent77: I'm absolutely terrible at Git, but I've added some newer EEex definitions and somehow managed to update my fork to match yours, (totally mangled my commit history though). Is anything else needed from me for a merge?
    Logiteks
    Bubb wrote: »
    @argent77: I'm absolutely terrible at Git, but I've added some newer EEex definitions and somehow managed to update my fork to match yours, (totally mangled my commit history though). Is anything else needed from me for a merge?

From what I've seen it looks fine. Feel free to create a pull request whenever you're ready.
    LogiteksBubb
    edited January 2021
    [Courtesy of Kjeron]A bunch of things to tweak:
    • V1/V2 Effects, Savetype – BIT24 – Bypass mirror image: This bit is only relevant for opcode #12 and opcode #25 (All other opcodes bypass Mirror Image by default, setting/unsetting this bit is harmless).
    • V1/V2 Effects, Savetype – BIT25 – Ignore difficulty: This bit is specific to opcode #12 only.
    • [SPL Extended Header]: `Bonus to hit`, `Dice size`, `# dice thrown`, `Damage bonus`, `Damage type`, `# charges`, `When drained` should be flagged as "Irrelevant/Unused".
    • [SPL Header]: `Identified name` and `Identified description` should be flagged as "Irrelevant/Unused".
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    argent77
  • LogiteksLogiteks Member Posts: 21
    thanks for the work guys :)
    @argent77, IWD2 is missing item and spells usability labels. Correct ones are listed on iesdp: https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/itm_v2.0.htm#Kit_Usability
    Logiteks wrote: »
    thanks for the work guys :)
    @argent77, IWD2 is missing item and spells usability labels. Correct ones are listed on iesdp: https://gibberlings3.github.io/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/itm_v2.0.htm#Kit_Usability

Yes, kit usability in IWD2 items is incorrect. Will be fixed in the next release.
    LogiteksGusinda
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @argent77 Hi,

I would like to ask you to investigate the possibility to provide self-contained/ static build of NI. I have no other application which requires Java so it would be great to get rid of it.
    edited January 2021
    @argent77
    • op15/44 and p2=3: to be precise Parameter1 is unused only in SPL/ITM Effects.
      • Once applied to a creature, `Parameter1` will store the exact DEX/STR increase granted (so it can be edited through NI, and shouldn't be labeled as "Unused").
      • When you apply these effects in an External EFF file, `Parameter1` in the EFF will determine the exact STR/DEX increase (so it must be set manually, and shouldn't be labeled as "Unused").
    • [SPL Extended Header]: `Bonus to hit`, `Dice size`, `# dice thrown`, `Damage bonus`, `Damage type`, `# charges`, `When drained` should be flagged as "Irrelevant/Unused".
    • [SPL Header]: `Identified name` and `Identified description` should be flagged as "Irrelevant/Unused".
    ALIEN wrote: »
    @argent77 Hi,

I would like to ask you to investigate the possibility to provide self-contained/ static build of NI. I have no other application which requires Java so it would be great to get rid of it.

The .jar file is the "executable" for a Java application. There may be ways to wrap it in a native Windows executable by third party tools, but I'd be wary about these methods since they could introduce malicious code or compatibility issues.

If you're concerned that the Java Runtime installer installs something that might compromise your system then I'd suggest to use OpenJDK instead. It provides simple zip archives without the need to "install" anything.
    _Luke_ wrote: »
    @argent77
    • op15/44 and p2=3: to be precise Parameter1 is unused only in SPL/ITM Effects.
      • Once applied to a creature, `Parameter1` will store the exact DEX/STR increase granted (so it can be edited through NI, and shouldn't be labeled as "Unused").
      • When you apply these effects in an External EFF file, `Parameter1` in the EFF will determine the exact STR/DEX increase (so it must be set manually, and shouldn't be labeled as "Unused").

Thanks, will be fixed in the next release.
    argent77 wrote: »
    @argent77 Hi,

The .jar file is the "executable" for a Java application. There may be ways to wrap it in a native Windows executable by third party tools, but I'd be wary about these methods since they could introduce malicious code or compatibility issues.

If you're concerned that the Java Runtime installer installs something that might compromise your system then I'd suggest to use OpenJDK instead. It provides simple zip archives without the need to "install" anything.

Let me clarify:
    Take a look at jpackage, a new standard tool in Java 14 for packaging self-contained Java applications. Example usage is:
    jpackage --name <name here> --input lib --main-jar NameJar.jar --main-class <main class here> --type app-image

I'm not asking to deprecate .jar builds, I'm only asking to provide additional build using this official tool so players would only have to download NearInfinity.exe and that's it.
    edited January 2021
    Let me clarify:
    Take a look at jpackage, a new standard tool in Java 14 for packaging self-contained Java applications. Example usage is:
    jpackage --name <name here> --input lib --main-jar NameJar.jar --main-class <main class here> --type app-image

I'm not asking to deprecate .jar builds, I'm only asking to provide additional build using this official tool so players would only have to download NearInfinity.exe and that's it.

From what I can see `jpackage` creates some kind of installation package for the NearInfinity.jar which has to be installed before NI can be used. The installer itself contains a Java Runtime image that is installed along with NI which adds another 50 MB to the installer file size and requires about 130 MB additional disk space after installation. Moreover, the binary location is fixed to the installation folder.

I don't really see an advantage except that you don't have to install Java separately. The price for this convenience is a considerably higher installation size, the requirement to run a setup whenever you want to install a new NI version (and possibly the inability to install different versions side by side) and the inability to move or copy the NI binary from its installation folder to some other location (like a game folder).
    @argent77 I'm no expert in when it comes to Java. The msi/installer solution is not what I should propose since I'm aware of the limitations.

I dug deeper and I found this: https://walczak.it/blog/distributing-javafx-desktop-applications-without-requiring-jvm-using-jlink-and-jpackage

The tool is called 'jlink' and it apparently can create a bundled custom JVM which will be placed alongside the application. Then, you can move the whole NI directory where you want. Running NI would be double-click on .bat file for windows.

Can you give it a last try?
    @argent77 I'm no expert in when it comes to Java. The msi/installer solution is not what I should propose since I'm aware of the limitations.

I dug deeper and I found this: https://walczak.it/blog/distributing-javafx-desktop-applications-without-requiring-jvm-using-jlink-and-jpackage

The tool is called 'jlink' and it apparently can create a bundled custom JVM which will be placed alongside the application. Then, you can move the whole NI directory where you want. Running NI would be double-click on .bat file for windows.

Can you give it a last try?

That link describes basically the same just with the addition of `jlink` for optimizing the size of the attached Java Runtime image.

There are wrappers which create Windows executables that can be run directly (e.g. Launch4j), but they are either not maintained anymore or not fully trustworthy. Moreover, these wrappers are likely a good candidate for false alarms from antivirus tools since they contain another executable inside similar to UPX packed executables.

In either case you're always installing a Java Runtime with the application you want to run which eats up a lot of disk space if you want to keep several NI versions around. I don't see a real benefit over installing Java once separately and run JAR files (or only this specific JAR file) afterwards.

The AdoptOpenJDK project can be used to download a pure Java Runtime package with requires much less disk space than the JDK. I'd recommend to use the Java 8 JRE which is the same version NI is build with. It reserves about 95 MB on disk.
    @argent77

You might want to add the following to your to-do list:
    • (opcode #12, Special field) BIT4 (the non-cumulative version of BIT1).
    • This new PRO field at 0x226. However, @Galactygon it seems this field is always 0...? I'm failing to understand if the field at 0x226 is functional or not...
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    edited March 2021
    Whenever the number of rays in a projectile explosion exceeds zero (word at 0x202) then the word at 0x224 (called "cone width") becomes the field "angle between rays" expressed in degrees. That's already known. If there's only one ray then it doesn't matter what the field is set to. If there are multiple rays and the field is set to 0 then those rays spawn and travel on top of each other which means the effects are applied multiple times on creatures in the area of effect of those rays.

The new field (word at 0x226) can be known as "rotate rays CCW CW" which rotates the entire ray group spawned by the explosion. None of the official projectiles use this offset but it's a low-hanging fruit to enable this functionality for modders who can now create complex projectiles.
    Post edited by Galactygon on
    Galactygon wrote: »
    #324 (0x144) Protection: Immunity to Resource and Message

The name of the correct resource is displayed instead of the name of the resource the effect instance is located in. It now works as intended in 2.6.

New smart feature: It will attempt to identify the name of the parent spell if this effect is located in a child spell with no name. It does in the following manner: if the effect is used within a spell that has no name but there is a spell in the game whose resname is one character shorter with a valid name, then it will display that name. This feature is used in Sunfire (SPWI523D.spl) to check for thief evasion.

This feature will also attempt to look for an identical resname.itm and display that (identified/unidentified) if the .spl the effect is in doesn't have a name.

That's great!
    What about adding the possibility to display a custom string if the `Special` field is non-zero? That would be great too...