Skip to content

Top Tier? Mid Tier? Bottom Tier? Level 1-9 Arcane Spells (talking about 10th lvl right now)

123457»

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    If you want to make Wish a little less unpredictable... You'll need a high Wis score... You could always play a Necromancer, you'll sacrifice Illusion school but have as a secondary stat requirement 16 Wis.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I've only ever used imprisonment against that mage in the underdark. My evil PCs have a messed up sense of humor sometimes.
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    I feel like I'm missing something with DB. Any difficult enemies seem to be immune once you get it, and if you want to take out a bunch of weakies why not use something lower down the line?
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    Quest Level:

Top Tier:
    -Improved Alacrity: 5/5. This one makes timestop almost unnecessary. Requires the robe of vecna though to reach its full potential
    -Summon Planetars: 5/5. Amazing summon. They can solo SOA by themselves. Still very useful in TOB but don't expect them to kill everything in sight
    -Summon Dark Planetars: don't know. never used the spell. Don't see why it should get a lesser grade than summon planetar

Mid tier :
    -Dragon's Breath: 3/5 good to slaughter drows. Apart from that, there is much better use of a level 9 slot (because fire damage is so bad)
    -Energy Blade: 2.5/5 very strong MMM. But really for a level 9 spell i don't see the point. As a FM you have anyway 10 attacks per round with crazy damage. For a pure arcane caster, your thaco is crap and you'd better spend your time and slots casting another timestop

Crap tier
    -Comet: why would you memorize that?

Sorcerors picks : all obviously

On level 9-10 spells, here is what i used over the course of the game

summon planetar : all the time on

timestop : every "difficult" fight (mages, bosses)
    improved alacrity : every "difficult" fight(mages, bosses)

Shapechange : roughly 5 times. Mostly to kill very powerful ennemies (WK level 5, draconis,...)
    chain contigency : less than 5 times. Mostly against time stop immune ennemies
    Dragon breath : 4-5 times. Each time there is a lot of non fire resistant ennemies

energy blade : once, just to try and to confirm its useless
    comet : once, by mistake.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    What makes Planetars a shit is that they script attacks enemies instead of waiting tillit casts the spell, so they attack enemies even if they are casting a spell, I think that they need a new script :D
    Dragon's Breath is one of my favorite, there are many Fire immune creatures, but Poison is there for those enemies >:D
  • ZaknafeinBaenreZaknafeinBaenre Member Posts: 349
    mumumomo said:

Against protected ennemies, just use time stop shapeshift. During the time stop you should be able to ear the brains of 2-3 ennemies, no matter how powerful they are.
    And you get to keep the loot.

I have an innate aversion to transforming into an illithid and sticking my tentacles into someone's brains through their nose and ears.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Has anyone summoned a fallen planetar? Does it shoot arrows like the fallen solar in Melissan's battle?
  • vangoatvangoat Member Posts: 212
    I've used fallen planetars. As far as I can tell they're the same except their clerical spells have their alignment switched. Eg. get unholy word instead of holy word and stuff. Which basically makes those spells useless as you aren't fighting good aligned enemies 99.999% of the time

• elementelement Member Posts: 833
    no unfortunately they do not I think that oddly that planetar is a complete one of, which is a shame because its pretty cool

I think like Vangoat says they're basically the same but with slightly worse spells, though its been a while since I played evil(years)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,734
    This thread is my handbook for mages from now on.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    comet is better than dragon's breath because of enemies' fire resistance in tob. both are kinda crap however. abu dalzim is better.

energy blades is very good for cleric/mages and deserves 3/5.

energy blades is of course more useful than both comet and dragon's breath.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2014
    bob_veng said:

comet is better than dragon's breath because of enemies' fire resistance in tob. both are kinda crap however. abu dalzim is better.

energy blades is very good for cleric/mages and deserves 3/5.

energy blades is of course more useful than both comet and dragon's breath.

Umm, how is comet better than dragons breath? Comet too does fire damage IIRC. Dragons breath has both more damage potential and ignores magic resistance. DB wins easily, IMHO.

There was a mod that changed comet to do crushing damage and ignore mr. Now that made the comet a very very powerful tool to use against anything that does not have stoneskin active. (10d10 area effect blunt trauma, no save, no magic resistance)

• CTKnightOwlCTKnightOwl Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2014
    Regarding needing high Wisdom: Potions of Insight are terrific, think of them as a spell component for a Wish spell. I know we've moved on from L7 but when I cast Limited Wish, I don't need an 18 to get my +2 full plate armor (that I can sell for 30gp wtf?) I don't have too much experience with Wish but I do stock up on potions of Insight and don't plan on having less than 18 wisdom when I cast.

Many of my BG1 characters come in with 22 wisdom. You'd think there would be unique options for such godlike wisdom scores
  • CTKnightOwlCTKnightOwl Member Posts: 88
    TheElf said:

I've only ever used imprisonment against that mage in the underdark. My evil PCs have a messed up sense of humor sometimes.

If you mean the one you freed from Imprisonment, that is just cold. (He has some nice treasure too)

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited March 2014
    @lunar
    yeah a long time ago i used a mod that makes it do half crushing and ignore mr. it's been stuck in my head ever since...

edit: i also always maze that guy. one of the most challenging fights that you stumble upon by complete chance, probably the toughest (i'm not counting the liches because you need to nose to encounter them; twisted rune is almost impossible to stumble upon accidentaly)