Skip to content

the clock is no longer ticking. It has ceased to tick

1234568»

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    cmk24 said:

Lemernis said:

I'm sure Beamdog is glad that this contractual term has been met. It frees them up to do more DLC for the EEs, hopefully.

Don't forget that their next contractual obligation is BG2:EE on Android...
    And to cook me dinner. It's already 2 AM of the next day and I am still waiting. I already set off a counter and I am hoping for my dinner to be ready in some minutes.
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    cmk24 said:

Lemernis said:

I'm sure Beamdog is glad that this contractual term has been met. It frees them up to do more DLC for the EEs, hopefully.

Don't forget that their next contractual obligation is BG2:EE on Android...
    *Slaps forehead* I forgot about that.

I just pray to God that this won't take long.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    bengoshi said:

For i.e., this is what a representative of Kindle says: "Every book we’ve run a Kindle Countdown Deal with so far has seen an increase in sales and some have seen huge increases in sales from the no-marketing Kindle Countdown Deals. On average, we saw a 905% increase in sales (how many books were sold) and a 246% increase in net income (how much money the author made) per hour. In every single Kindle Countdown Deal we’ve run so far, each book saw an increase in number of sales and in revenue. The smallest increase in sales was 153% and the smallest increase in revenue per hour was 33%. Results after the promotion have been incredible as well. As a result of the dramatically improved sales momentum, many books which were not on bestseller lists jumped on the bestsellers lists while other books that were already bestsellers climbed significantly higher on the charts. This lead to continued strong sales at regular prices after the KCD ended. The average increase in sales and net income during the week after the KCD promotion was 73%!"

So, this Baldur's Gate coundown timer was "in the trend" with modern sales, nothing wrong with this method of introducing a new product. Instead, I find it good that Beamdog tries to find new ways of working with customers. And no matter that some people now are "sad" at the result of a countdown, you can't deny it was fun and exciting during these 3 days.

http://www.webinse.com/blog/ecommerce/create-agiotage-and-sell-more/

http://www.tckpublishing.com/kindle-countdown-deals-show-huge-increase-in-book-sales-for-authors/

http://waynesharer.com/4648/increase-sales-conversions-next-2-minutes/

Eh, unless I'm missing something, Kindle Countdown Deals are something completely different. They're just limited time sales, and have nothing to do with a new product being released. It's like a Steam sale: they create a sense of urgency because of the limited duration of the discount, which prompts people to buy out of a sort of fear that they'll miss out on the deal. Also there's just the general idea that most people like thinking they got a good deal on something.

Neither of those aspects pertain to the BG:EE android countdown/release.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    bengoshi said:

As a note, I'd like to mention that nowadays every company is trying to increase their sales using every possible method. It's the base thing in the marketing.

One of these methods is agiotage. The main purpose of this method is to arouse the desire to purchase – I would even say to create a passion for purchasing. Undoubtedly an emotional aspect is prevalent in this strategy.

A company can set a countdown clock on the site and\or create a mysterious advertisement for its product. A manufacturer has to create reason for discussion: something shocking, something attractive for the buyers. This trick is widespread amongst advanced technological companies. It works superbly.

For i.e., this is what a representative of Kindle says: "Every book we’ve run a Kindle Countdown Deal with so far has seen an increase in sales and some have seen huge increases in sales from the no-marketing Kindle Countdown Deals. On average, we saw a 905% increase in sales (how many books were sold) and a 246% increase in net income (how much money the author made) per hour. In every single Kindle Countdown Deal we’ve run so far, each book saw an increase in number of sales and in revenue. The smallest increase in sales was 153% and the smallest increase in revenue per hour was 33%. Results after the promotion have been incredible as well. As a result of the dramatically improved sales momentum, many books which were not on bestseller lists jumped on the bestsellers lists while other books that were already bestsellers climbed significantly higher on the charts. This lead to continued strong sales at regular prices after the KCD ended. The average increase in sales and net income during the week after the KCD promotion was 73%!"

So, this Baldur's Gate coundown timer was "in the trend" with modern sales, nothing wrong with this method of introducing a new product. Instead, I find it good that Beamdog tries to find new ways of working with customers. And no matter that some people now are "sad" at the result of a countdown, you can't deny it was fun and exciting during these 3 days.

http://www.webinse.com/blog/ecommerce/create-agiotage-and-sell-more/

http://www.tckpublishing.com/kindle-countdown-deals-show-huge-increase-in-book-sales-for-authors/

http://waynesharer.com/4648/increase-sales-conversions-next-2-minutes/

while you are right that this is a valid and proven marketing strategy, it is important to note that a 'Successful' marketing strategy is one that is appropriately targeted to the target market without alienating other segments of that market.

I was relatively confident that this was the Android launch. I own an android tablet and will probably purchase. However, I did feel somewhat of a let-down when I saw the actual reveal. That disappointment can in some instances turn into a loss of both sales and consumer confidence.

Sex sells. Having a billboard of a scantily clad woman holding some product will raise awareness and sales of that product. Putting it next to a church in a Mormon community probably isn't the best marketing tactic.

All I am saying is that if you build hype, if the ultimate reveal is not equivalent to the hype, this can erode consumer confidence not only in the product, but also the company.