Skip to content

The Roleplaying Challenge (Tomb of Horrors)

Comments

• Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I thought there were two pits? The one you nearly fell in and the other one.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    DM says six, counting the one triggered by the rod in the wall.
    That's a lot of pits. Okay, I check each one to see if I can work out how they are triggered or if there is a way of opening them.
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    T-there were two.....one is open, the other was just before it (right DM?). I....I can show you where i *sensed* it.....if you want. *Not sure Alora has detected any of the traps or if it was just from my spell*

OOC @Permidion_Stark I've been wracking my brain all night and i don't remember an Alora npc from either game???? Can you fill me in, it's driving me crazy.
    Stepping on them seems to work Juuuuuuust fine. They open with a bang (not as loud as that first one... the top on that one was especially thick), but each is filled with razor-sharp stakes tipped with that ugly greenish poison.
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    Well some people call Tiax crazy, but "Two pits along the way will be found to lead
    to a fortuitous fall, so check the wall."

*begins to count on his fingers*

*Tiax is looking for a third trap*
    Oooh! That's not nice. I guess I was wrong about fortuitous pits. They sound very non-fortuitous to me. I'm going back to the archway. Has anyone got a spell that can see through the mist to what is on the other side?
    OOC it said to check the wall for the two pits, two of them are different then the rest in some way, we've found one of them so far, i guess the other one will also have something near the wall.

Also, according to the riddle, two lefts and enter the tomb and spell your souls doom. I'm guessing that at the forks in the path, the left path will lead us to our target. I'm not sure how to rp this with aerie though. sorry for the numerous ooc comments.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    "You!"

Noon could not come any sooner, Garrick decided. Last night's reveler's turned into this morning's brawlers, and he'd found himself rudely evicted from his time on the stoop of The Frollicking Goblin. That eviction had resulted in two very unfortunate things: first, his lyre had four broken strings, making it unsuitable for music until repaired. The second was worse: his handsome, striking face was marred by bruising to the forehead and around the nose (to say nothing of the blood (his) on fine silk garments). Truly, a minstrel was never appreciated in his home town... or this town, for that matter.

"What can I do for you, good sir?" Trying to use the shadows of a porch to had clearly been a failure.

"Your companions ran up quite a tab," the tavern's doorman explained. "Said you'd be good for it," he added. Normally, 'credit' was refused, but the adventurers seemed a capable and (for the most part) honorable lot.

"I say!" Perhaps this was a test, Garrick reasoned. After all, the adventuring party would surely wish some proof that Garrick would have their backs - this might surely be a way of showing his good faith and, of course, would be generously repaid in kind. While Garrick was running short of coin, he had no doubt that the intrepid party would soon be knee deep in gold going -and gems, to boot!- and therefore able to make recompense. "Give and spend, and the gods will send, my good man," he said, counting out his money.

Shrugging his shoulders, the doorman felt better that this had been a legitimate transaction and that the party had not taken advantage of this buffoon. "Tell them to send me a comely lass with a bountiful bosom, and leave it at that."

"Perhaps they shall, my good friend," Garrick piped up, his spirits renewed. "Perhaps they shall..." After all, the party had at least one who would qualify as comely and, therefore, would find herself smitten by Garrick's charms...
    I..I could cast zone of sweet air to clear the mists? *She looks to Alora questioningly*
    @Bjjorick

OOC: Alora can be found in the Hall of Wonders, the big temple-like building in SW Baldur's Gate. If you talk to her she asks you to be a lookout while she steals something. And she is as sweet as cherry pie.
    @permidion_Stark ahhh, i always have a set party by that point, and i usually don't lose chars, but i'll pick her up next time i'm there. Thanks for letting me know though :)
    OOC: the tales of Garrick remind me of "Tales of the Black Freighter" during the Watchmen. It break ups the scenes quite nicely hehe.
    Here's the map so far. 6 is the face, 5 is the arch.

Map_fragment
    @ladyRhian I want to take a close look at the face (not too close, but close from behind minsc :) ) and just find out if i notice anything/usual/odd/moving/etc.
    Well, the blackness beyond the mouth is really dark. Like a globe of darkness was cast there permanently.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    OOC - I wanted to tap into his trust of strangers mentioned in the lore, although I'm not sure he acts Chaotic Neutral. Unless he behaves as a means to desired ends...
    I want to check along the walls again to see if there is anything I missed. The lever we pulled, could it be pulled back the other way?
    edited August 2012
    @ladyrhian cantrips? like a flare cantrip maybe? i know they're not in bg/bg2 so maybe not allowed?

@reedmilfam lol, geez, pray tell, who is the comely lass that has smitten thee?
    I think the mouth is the Tormentor mentioned in the poem. It doesn't sound like a good way to go to me. I think we have to touch the red stone and each sacrifice a magic ring to get through the misty arch.

Where's Edwin gone? We need him here to think about stuff.
    Nope. (DM'y stuff here: Darkness is the opposite of the Light spell (1st level) so a Continual Light spell (3rd Level) opposite spell would be a Continual Darkness spell. But the darkness is just about that level, here, and obviously, it's been here darn near forever, so...)
    But....but the poem said to avoid green, and seek out the color of night.......the darkness here seems to be where it was leading us? *Upon saying it, she suddenly starts to doubt her own words, worried to be a burdeon upon those in here.*
    Would dispel magic get rid of a Globe of Darkness? If it is a Globe of Darkness. (It's probably just where Kivan is hiding, I mutter to myself)
    @ladyrhian if my detect traps is still in effect, i want to slowly approach the mask and see if i can make out anything else. I will get within maybe a foot of it, but prepared to do a quick retreat behind the inert minsc if anything starts to happen.
    (woot, survived the lag attack)
    OOC: Please bear in mind I am crazy.

Tiax thinks the little one should climb inside... He is sure it will bring great fortune to the party. Tiax would do it but he has to rule, very very busy you see.
    Here's another pic of the face and the arch... minus the colors on walls, floor and ceiling, and the colored arch stones...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ToH_Gallery/backcover.jpg
    *Before Alora even contemplates his decision, Tiax loads up his sling shot and fires into the mouth of the devil and laughs maniacally*
    *waits to see what happens to tiax's bullet and consider's climbing into the mouth hole*
    Plip! The stone flies into the mouth and disappears. There is no sound of it hitting, nor do you even hear it clatter- whatever space lies beyond must be unusually large, to be sure!
    *turns to the others* If you will.....give me a rope, I think.....i think i know what awaits on the other side. She runs her fingers over her necklace, trying to still her heart, but thinking that the last disgrace she could bear would be to fall to her death......*

OOC: Aerie does have ummm 16 int and 16 wis :)