Skip to content

Things you have always wondered about

BalladBallad Member Posts: 205
This is kind of the reverse of the Did You Know? -thread. Share any questions you might have about the series, big or small, that have always puzzled you and you've never gotten an answer to. It can range from anything, from the story behind an item or a character, to bigger, speculative questions regarding the plot or lore. And yes, I do realize that a lot of these questions could just be solved by a simple Google search, I think it would be more fun to collect them under this thread, just for the sake of discussion.

Here are are a few things that have always intrigued me
- In one of the houses in the Bridge District, you run into a band of adventurers (one of them is called Valeria, I think.) They are automatically hostile and leave behind no item of lore hinting at their purpose. Who are these people? Are they connected to some quest I do not know of?
- Speaking of the Bridge District, in Reijek Hidesman's basement, you run into a mage called Vellin Dahn who makes a menacing statement about 'commanding your death' and then promptly teleports away, leaving behind a couple of ghasts, a bone golem and three Rune Assassins for you to deal with. Who is this guy? What about the assassins? Could they be connected to the Twisted Rune, as implied by their name? This brings me to my next question
- Apart from being a cool fight and yielding you the best mage item in the game, is there any lore or backstory to the Twisted Rune that I do not know of?

Comments

• simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    edited May 2014
    twisted rune: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Twisted_Rune - shangalar is mentioned in this even.
    it was supposed to be part of a quest i think. maybe it gets done properly in unfinished business?

edit: http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Shangalar_the_Black
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    The Twisted Rune are a secret society in Forgotten Realms lore, IIRC. They might have been part of content that was later cut, but the location and fight kept.

Vellin Dahn appears again, if you know where to find him. There's a riddle hidden in Reijek's shop that might help.

As for the random adventurers, I'm not sure. My money would be on uncompleted questline/cut content though.
    edited May 2014
    because it was an eight hour trip?

edit: if your answer is egg-zactly, i'm going to die laughing
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    How long, exactly, did the Time of Troubles last for Bhaal to have so many kids?
    a month would be enough wouldn't it? but then again, if were only a month it'd be called the month of troubles. (bit different than the troubled time of the month, but i suppose that must've come into play at some point)
    edited May 2014
    Oh so that's how he did it... I just thought I read somewhere in the game that "during the time of troubles he forced..." any you know the rest.
    i didn't exactly swoon when i saw him in the dream sequence so i'd imagine that that's how it went yeah
    So the question I really have is this then: Did he do it before the time of troubles, thus giving Abazigal enough time to reach adulthood and have a son that was also an adult or are those two just a giant plot hole like I always thought they were.
    i looked it up. a 16-25-year old dragon is young, 26-50 juvenile, 51-100 young adult, 101-200 adult, so yes, this does seem to be a bit of a plot hole
    Another thing I have always wondered is who is this "Mr. F" that those two idiots outside the Copper Coronet talk about? You know, that guy who attacks you for being in his way and the dwarf that he has with him.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Wait, a bone golem? There's a bone golem?! I encountered no such thing, and am glad, those things hated me in Icewind Dale. :(

Bhaal could have sired children well before he learned of his fate. Wasn't one child of Zeus' born so he could prevent himself from being killed, or something?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2014
    Tresset said:

So the question I really have is this then: Did he do it before the time of troubles, thus giving Abazigal enough time to reach adulthood and have a son that was also an adult or are those two just a giant plot hole like I always thought they were.

He foresaw that he was going to die during the Time of Troubles. So he made offspring before this happened.
    simples said:

i looked it up. a 16-25-year old dragon is young, 26-50 juvenile, 51-100 young adult, 101-200 adult, so yes, this does seem to be a bit of a plot hole

Not necessarily. I looked in Faith's and Avatar's and online. Besides Bhaal being one of the Dead Three and besides his ascension taking place after the time of Netheril I'm not sure if there is anything that says he couldn't have been a god for a thousand (or more) years prior to the Time of Troubles. The only thing that might have prevented him from siring children was the loss of power as a result of Ravager being killed (that was in 1344 and the Time of Troubles was in 1358). That apparently meant he was "exiled from the realms for a time." Obviously though charname (along with the five) would have been born by that point.

Either way it seems like his backstory is rather limited. At least considering there are pages (as there are with all the other deities) devoted to his avatars/worshipers/spells and that he has a video game series that revolves around the aftermath of his death.
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105
    I always wondered what was up the butts of that group of adventurers in BG1. You meet them in (I think) the basilisk area and they pretty much trash talk you for being low-level...even thought they're, you know, the same level (or possibly lower than) you.
    Flashburn said:

@Tresset‌
    That would be Firkraag. They always show up once you accept his quest.

I usually have to fight them before I even enter the Coronet for the first time... Are you sure?
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    it does not make sense that they are referring to firkraag.
    Firkraag's point is not to kill you, it's to toy with you
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    The Guarded Compund in Athkatla's Temple District has always puzzled me. Who are those powerful and well-equipped adventurers? Do they form part of any faction? What are they doing when you come bursting in?
    Another encounter: Alhoon and his mind flayer cohorts. The quest ends with Alhoon's note, and the conclusion that the Illithids' plans have been thwarted for now.

In BG1: Samuel the Deserter (why did he desert? who/what injured him? what's the link with Gellana Mirrorshade? what happens with him after Gellana takes care of him?), Denak and his red-robed friends, the history that Tarnesh and Branwen share, among others.
  • BalladBallad Member Posts: 205

The Guarded Compund in Athkatla's Temple District has always puzzled me. Who are those powerful and well-equipped adventurers? Do they form part of any faction? What are they doing when you come bursting in?

I think there is a small reference to the Guarded Compound in one of Nalia's quests where you need to collect evidence against Isaea Roenall. You find a sealed scroll that speaks of Isaea having done business with "the Slave Lord outpost located in the Temple District." So they're supposed to be slavers. However, I still think that it explains pitifully little, given they're all named and wield such powerful, unique items.
    Tresset said:

Flashburn said:

@Tresset‌
    That would be Firkraag. They always show up once you accept his quest.

I usually have to fight them before I even enter the Coronet for the first time... Are you sure?
    No, I believe Bregg and Cohrnvale(sp?) are meant to be part of the Buried Alive -quest. They are the goons who were supposed to collect the bounty (Silver Pantaloons) in exchange for Lady Elgea. At least this is what I've always assumed.

Returning to the Bridge district again, does anyone have a clue as to which quest the two nobles (a man and a woman) and their bodyguards are supposed to be part of? They stand near the temple of Helm in the SE part of the district, just north of the kidnappers' house.
  • ZyzzogetonZyzzogeton Member Posts: 526
    Mostly a D&D thing...

Why it's unacceptable for Clerics to slice people open but it's perfectly okay to hit someone with a staff that deals more lethal damage than a large two handed sword. Their gods even bless them with the strength of a giant when doing so.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833

Mostly a D&D thing...

Why it's unacceptable for Clerics to slice people open but it's perfectly okay to hit someone with a staff that deals more lethal damage than a large two handed sword. Their gods even bless them with the strength of a giant when doing so.

that comes from the real world in which priests weren't supposed to shed blood. There way around this was to simply use bludgeoning weapons. I guess that it was brought into D&D for flavour
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I believe Solars are classified as divine poultry. But what about Avariels? Do they count as gamefowl or waterfowl?
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    element said:

Mostly a D&D thing...

that comes from the real world in which priests weren't supposed to shed blood. There way around this was to simply use bludgeoning weapons. I guess that it was brought into D&D for flavour
    I think that came from some mis-read Victorian text, or something. I'm not quite sure, but swear I recall having read somewhere that that whole claim was a load of palookie. Like Vikings being unwashed and smelly, or ALF being an enjoyable show to film.
    Of course, this begs the question of whether potentially liquefying somebody's organs with a forceful blow from a cudgel is more merciful than a quick slash at the blood vessels from a dirk...
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Tresset said:

How long, exactly, did the Time of Troubles last for Bhaal to have so many kids?

Also, what race was he? You can be human, half-elf and half-orc. But why pure elf, dwarf and halfling? Why not half-dwarf or two-thirdsling?

• dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    One thing I always wondered...

In my original, unmodded game from when BGII first game out, there was a mysterious potion on a shelf either in the Temple of Helm or Lathandar, in the Temple District. I can't remember the exact text but it was supposed to only work on Ogre Magi (you couldn't drink it yourself). I've no idea what it was used for and it's disappeared in the EE. If I had to guess it may have been something to do with the Gong quest, since an Ogre Mage appears in that, but was cut to save time.
  • ApocryphaApocrypha Member Posts: 105

Tresset said:

Also, what race was he? You can be human, half-elf and half-orc. But why pure elf, dwarf and halfling? Why not half-dwarf or two-thirdsling?

I always thought Bhaal was impregnating women before the Time of Troubles, or at least did so for you, Imoen and Sarevok, plus the Five. Other wise all of you would be around ten years old.

As for his race, I think he was human when he was mortal. For his race as a deity and all his sleeping around, I assume one of two things: he either shapeshifted into whatever he wanted and sowed his seed the old-fashioned way, or he just used his divine essence to impregnate the women. Like Zeus in the Perseus myth; he never slept with Danae, he appeared to her as golden rain and impregnated her that way. I'm not sure which is more likely, though.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

Tresset said:

I actually looked this up just the other day, when developing my dwarven Skald's story.
    In 2nd edition Half-Dwarves did exist though they were sterile, and in 4th edition they aren't sterile anymore. They're called Muls. So yeah, they could have been included in the game.

Not sure about Half-Halflings (I'd like to call them Quarterlings but that wouldn't be an apt name hehe).