Skip to content

Sooo, Bigby?

Are any of his fists and hands any good?
(Pondering overlooked spells for my future sorcerer, but seems like long shot... perhaps, even for a straight single class mage.)

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    IIRC, lvl 8 version is better than lvl 9 one, which is surprisingly weak. (it has to compete with timestop and hlas for slots!) If only they bypassed magic resistance by default, they could have been usable.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Want To Buy: Bigby's Petting Hand
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Honestly I think if you are looking for a spell that causes a status effect I would take power word, blind over it.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Ygramul said:

@jackjack‌
    LOL. (No, really, actual LOL.)

How 'bout...

Bigby's Talk-To-The Hand
    Evocation (7th level) - duration: 1 turn.
    Target must save vs spells at (-4) or all his subsequent spells directed at caster are directed at the Hand instead and wasted.
    If target's charisma is greater than the caster he gets another save each round (i.e. reargue his case).

Bigby's Z-Snap. One of my managers at a call center taught me that. He was pretty cool.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Bigby's Interposing and Forceful Hand would be nice as level 5 and 6 spells.

Interposing Hand gives an enemy a +10 THAC0 penalty for 1 round/level, so I bet it would be useful throughout ToB and against dragons with lowered magic resistance.

Forceful Hand knocks down a target for 1 round/level if they fail a strength check against the hand. Back in NWN, it was one of the most powerful PvP spells ever because it simply incapacitated an opponent, rendering them helpless. But the ideal targets for this spell would likely resist it. Mages would have spell protections already up and strong meleers would probably succeed against the strength check (1d20 + 14 vs target's 1d20 + STR bonus + size modifier).
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    edited May 2014
    More useful might be "Bigby's Hand-with-a-Bloody-Great-Sword-in-it". I don't recall ever using either of Bigby's spells, I always have more important uses for valuable level 8 and 9 spell slots.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Bigby's Sport Utility Collection:

.... includes:

Bigby's Unbalancing Back Hand

Bigby's Five Point Palm
    (an HLA spell, of course, as it is overpowered.)
  • FinaLfrontFinaLfront Member Posts: 260
    Bigby's Golf Clap
    Incantation

For when you want to patronize someone and for them to know it.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    Bigby's Palm Tree

It's a summon!
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    molloy said:

Bigby's Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

It's some kind of paralysation, especially hurtful for monks.

I would argue that warriors would be more susceptible to this occupational disease.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    bbear said:

I would argue that warriors would be more susceptible to this occupational disease.

Nah ... NPCs never seem to suffer from it at all, but the player is always at risk of it, whichever Class he plays!

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Bigby's Coffee (https://www.biggby.com/)

This spell creates a giant cup with coffee. The initial gulp gives cheerfulness; the person has to make a save vs. milk with a -4 penalty to avoid being smeared. After that, another save with a -2 penalty can be made. In case of another failure, the victim enjoys the finest coffee in the world.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    Ygramul said:

Are any of his fists and hands any good?

obvious answer being yes, until his arm gets tired
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    edited May 2014
    How about Bigby's B!#ch Slap? 2nd level spell that stuns victim who fails to save versus foot in mouth for 2 rounds.

And the little known versions of his Foot spells, such as Bigby's Foot in @$$, which was only ever successfully cast by someone of the name Red Foreman. And Bigby's Big Toe, a first level spell that doesn't actually DO anything. Who knew?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I'm just sitting here laughing my ass off at this thread. I got nothin' on this.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    The Bigby's hands were actually pretty darn good in NWN. Most of them had really good effects and they were really hard to resist. (Unless of course your target was immune to mind spells or had a decent damage reduction, in which case they were kinda "meh'.)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited May 2014
    Tresset said:

The Bigby's hands were actually pretty darn good in NWN. Most of them had really good effects and they were really hard to resist.

As hard to resist as Safana?

Sure baby I'll protect you ... What's that? Flesh golems? Allllll good babe no worries
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    What about:

Bigby's Purple Nurple

Bigby's Atomic Wedgie

Bigby's Noogie

They all have the same mechanical effect, a -2 luck penalty, and obviously stack. Can only be cast by characters with the Athelete kit. :p
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    As a man also on the LIE every morning I'll second Bigby's Middle Finger.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Bigby's Rock, Paper, Scissor.

Duration: 1d4 + caster level rounds.

Randomly chooses either rock, paper or scissor to counter an enemies casters next spell.

Rock will negate any damage spell (scissors cut)
    Paper will negate any buff spell (such as stoneskin)
    Scissor will negate any area of effect spell cast (paper covers)
    The enemy caster will also be stunned for 1 round.

However, if the Bigby hand is defeated, the enemies caster spell will have an increased caster level of 1d4.

A same type spell (rock on a buff; paper on a AoE; scissor on a DMG) has no effect.