Skip to content

Images of females in armour designed for protection, not seduction!

Comments

• kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    edited August 2014
    @vladpen The blub under her pic on DA says
    Part of my Saint Seiya Tribute B/W portraits ; Asgard priestess, Hilda Polaris

You can get more info on this series here

.... and yes - this pic is bloody gorgeous! Sadly I have no idea who the model is.
    Post edited by kiwidoc on
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @kiwidoc - this thread started fantastic. But then things like this
    started appearing.

Now I am inclined to believe this is just a part of your dastardly plan to slowly shift the whole theme of the thread to more and more skimpier outfits only to finally rival @LadyRhian‌ and her "Unrealistic Fantasy Art" thread.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Boy, that is one shiny leg! She must have sweated hard.
    edited August 2014
    @Southpaw and @LadyRhian the shiny bits are field dressing - you can just see the straight edges. It's much clearer on the ginormous version, but silly me I lost that link :(

The bottom line is (no pun is intended) the armor has to cover the vulnerable places - the torso, the groin (femoral blood vessels and nerves), the buttocks (more large blood vessels and nerve plexus). It is unfeasible to expect light armor to protect the armpit and the neck, and any way her helmet probably will protect her head. It is also reasonably common for light armor to leave large areas if not all of the limbs uncovered.

So as far as I can see this still qualifies as armor that doesn't leave vulnerable areas stupidly uncovered for the sake of a "sexy" image or just to meet expectations, and there isn't any gratuitous bared skin - so even if it shows her legs the pic would meet the criteria of the thread.

Face it guys, if this was a bloke wearing light armor that bared his legs nobody would bat an eyelid. We are all just a little ... hmm ... can't find the word ... paranoid isn't right, and neither is slightly over zealous ... oh hell, what ever you call it that's why I set myself such a well defined set of rules to apply. We are trying to avoid the double standard in one direction, but we don't want to create a double standard in the opposite direction :)

I actually do like this pic. I love the way she's not at all phased by showing her legs. She's just striding through dirty, sweaty and probably smelly, and she doesn't give a damn. She is aware the men are looking at her - and her only response is a mental "F*** off assholes" that shows in her expression and her body language. She's a woman who is facing the sort of sexist leering so many women do face, and she just deals with it! Can you see the women in the background cheering her on - lady you ROCK!
    Another image of Brienne, not from the TV series but from the books.

Art By Eric Faure-Brac aka Princetuor

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Southpaw‌
    @LadyRhian‌
    She looks to me like she's some kind of pilot, and not a frontline infantry fighter, anyway, so she doesn't need much in the way of armor if she drives one of those big mechs in the background. Granted, she could use a full-body jumpsuit, but still.
    @Schneidend I think you are probably right. In one of those beats your head and upper torso are probably most exposed - hence the helmet and the thicker armor.
    edited August 2014
    Okay. I have some more for you… From all sorts of places/eras.

image by Marchell-Finch (Steampunk)
    image by AvatarRutger
    image by Kimonas
    image by akitku
    image also by akitku
    image by gambargin (love the attitude in this pic!)
    image by ThomasRome (Doesn't she look BADASS?)
    image by Nemhainn
    image also by Gambargin
    image by NEWATLAS7
    image by Rocktopus64
    image by Mr-Marcus-81
    image by Jodeee
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    LadyRhian said:

I would use this as a BG portrait, it's so good. Colour or no.
    @Elrandir Gambargin is good. She's based on a Condottiere. All of Gambargain's stuff is based on real-life fighters and what they wore.
    @Elrandir and @LadyRhian I like Gambargain's stuff a lot as well. It's really interesting to see so many different kinds of armor, but all them used for real at one time or another.
    That Jodee painting really ROCKS! It's a wonferul blend of both western and Medieval, but nothing jars, it's utterly believable.
    @Kiwidoc I thought so, too. It kind of reminds me of the VanHelsing movie for some reason. And also Alucard from the Anime Hellsing.

Here's another pic with the same kind of vibe, thanks to the hat:
    image by SilasAleks
    kiwidoc said:

Sweet Jesus! Is there a Running Man video game in the works? Is this concept art for it?
    @Schneidend I think this was an artschool project - update the running man costumes

Jodie Muir

I know the second pic was already posted by LadyRhian but I'm just keeping all my ducks in a row ;)
    Some nice pictures from a Sci-Fi perspective, or with gunpowder weapons. And a few regular fantasy ones, too.

image by AyyaSap (she's a combat medic/nurse)
    image by danylov
    image by crow-god
    image by butterfrog
    image by StefanoMarinetti
    image by CELENG
    image by DiegoGisbertLlorens
    image by DaRoz
    image by Jorsch
    image by SaraForlenza
    image> by AnthonyFoti
    image by SBraithwaite
    imagealso by Jorsch
    Gotta love those sci-fantasy pix. But methinks I see just a tiny bit of cleavage sneaking in there - I think unzipped armor is ok, so long as they aren't actually charging into battle that way :)
    I love Crow gods work, but he boody well frustrated me no end. It took ages to discover Cheng Xu and Crow god were the same person. I see so many images it's almost impossible to realise why one or two might look familiar. I wish artists wouldn't do that - have galleries with totally different names and nothing to indicate they have an alter ego!
    edited August 2014
    kiwidoc said:
    Ah, I love Diablo III. Your character covers up more and more as the game progresses. Even the female Barbarian stops wearing hide rags that show off her (admittedly glorious) abs, instead donning full plate that could make an iron golem blush. The Demon Hunter, the class pictured here, however, has several boot models where she's wearing armored high heels, though. That's irksome.
    @Schneidend this version of the demonhunter isn't official - it was an entry into the Deviant Art competition. Wading through the various entries shows everything from the leather fetish bikini to the full coverup, to metal breastplate over leather. I think it's a good sign that most of the highly rated entries showed complex but fully covering armor. Sure there is an over abundance of sticky-out fin like extras, and loads too many spikes - but in most cases no keyhole cutouts, no cleavage and no bare bellies or butts. YAY some progress is being made.
This discussion has been closed.