Skip to content

Are half-elves fertile?

2»

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    In 2nd ed cannon forgotten realms, I dont think gnomes and elves can cross breed, but divinity changes things. He would probably be a divineblooded avariel. :s I dont think he could pass on the gnome portion, which would be interesting ideawise, as I would expect his divinity to be pretty strongly expressed.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @DreadKhan‌: Divinity? (Sorry, I don't know many of the English terms in D&D :/ )
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Interesting discussion, but how about the half-gnome half-elf child you can have with Aerie I wondered this as soon as I heard she romances gnomes.

She does??? I didn't know! I thought the characters in vanilla only romance elfs, humans and half-elves.
    Though it would make sense for her, having a gnomish adoptive-father and being a priestess of a gnomish god.

But yeah, acording to the third edition Forgotten Realms campaign book, gnomes are basically mini-elves, so maybe elves and gnomes are interfertile.
    All the vanilla romances work for halflings. Viconia will NOT romance elves (but she will half-elves), and she will romance half-orcs.

Aerie: Humans, Half-elves, Elves, Halflings, Gnomes
    Jaheira: Humans, Half-elves, Elves, Halflings
    Viconia: Humans, Half-elves, Halflings, Half-orcs
    Anomen: Humans, Half-elves, Elves, Halflings
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Anomen plus halfling equals climbing a mountain. Why? It is there. ;)
  • drakescar9drakescar9 Member Posts: 65
    what do you can a child of a half-orc and elf
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    A half-elf, I'd say.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    Canon says orcs and elves can't mate.
    My house rules say orcs and elves produce a mashedtaters zombie.
    Take your pick.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited October 2016

what do you can a child of a half-orc and elf

A gateway to new possibilities. If that child falls in love with another different race, such as a dwarf for instance, then you have a bonafide Mongrelfolk in all its glory.

On a side note, I remember a particular #Dragon issue ( #307 if memory serves right) that introduced a new kind of half-elf: the Aelfborn. Basically they're insane, sterile and universally hated half-breeds between humans and elves. Kind of like pointy-eared derros, minus the "created by evil an god" background story.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    My take: there is an acute spieces survival concern for wild wild cats (of Europe), and slightly lesser so for wolves, because the domestic variety breeds all to readily across.

Or on other extreme, there is a cat breed that is viewed unethical by some because the specific breed feature requires two binominal regressive genes to surive - so 75% of kittens on average will be stillborn.

Yet when we push it to fables, the tricker-god Loki and ice-giantess Angrboda of Icelandic epic Edda would beget Fenrir or Fenris - the famewolf to Odin.

So temporal or mythical, I think begetting tends to get done. Not always sustainably or justly thou.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Look. With gnomes and halflings... The passage towards interbreeding is much harder to overcome.

Indeed, it can also be the other way around... A distinct lack of width can be quite unsatisfactory in some quarters.

So... I believe, any liason of an overly friendly nature can result in offspring in the Forgotten Realms, because of the magic of love. But the magic can be stronger for girls with a taller man...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2557540/Height-DOES-matters-Women-want-men-taller-make-feel-protected-feminine.html

I mean... Bhaal got around a bit didn't he? Didn't stop him...