Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    edited February 2017
    Hopefully we will see a surge in the economy similar to 1980's when similar phenomenon was observed.

The next period, 1982-1999 was an economic resurgence created by lower taxes and decreased government regulations. Stocks averaged 15.9% per year and GDP averaged 6.3%
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikepatton/2016/01/27/the-dow-jones-industrial-average-and-gdp-from-1930-to-2015/#36c10ad72306

An increase in investment in America means more jobs.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Trickle Down Economic Works in Theory But Not in Fact

http://www.faireconomy.org/trickle_down_economics_four_reasons
    edited February 2017
    It appears Small Business owner confidance has maintained since Trump took the election.

NFIB's small business optimism index shot up 7.4 points to 105.8, the best reading since December 2004. It was the biggest monthly gain in decades. A net 50% of smaller firms see business conditions improving vs. 12% in November and -7% in October.

"We haven't seen numbers like this in a long time," said NFIB President and CEO Juanita Duggan. "Small business is ready for a breakout, and that can only mean very good things for the U.S. economy."

-http://www.investors.com/news/economy/trump-bump-small-business-optimism-soars-to-12-year-high/

Small business leaders say they’re more enthusiastic about the US economy, according to a new survey from JPMorgan.
    -http://www.businessinsider.com.au/small-business-optimism-on-trump-economy-in-jpmorgan-survey-2017-2?r=US&IR=T
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The economy and the stock market have been strong for several years. Inequality, however, has remained rather high aside from a slight improvement in the last 2 or 3 years. I'm not surprised--I don't think Trump will be great for the economy, but I know better than to think the first month is going to change the trajectory of the economy.

It's too early to judge Trump's economic performance. He's only been in office a month, and none of his executive orders are directly related to the economy. I'd hesitate to say the business community is jazzed up merely by the anticipation of good tax policies; there was actually a brief stock market crash after the election results came in.

I've long felt that a president's performance on the economy won't really be seen until a year after inauguration--businesses, after all, work in months and years, not days and weeks. We'll have a better idea of the Trump administration's impact after another 11 months. By then, Trump's policies will actually have had time to take effect.
    edited February 2017
    Trumps 2-1 regulation removal factor in increasing confidance in America by company executives.
    Confidence among chief executives of U.S.-based companies — and relative to other CEOs around the world — just experienced one of the largest single-quarter gains in history, up by 4.2 points in the quarterly YPO Global Pulse survey. Why? By now it's easy to just say "Trump." Here's an underappreciated part of that business optimism story.

Last week President Donald Trump signed an executive order requiring that for every new federal regulation that's adopted, two old ones must be scrapped. This goes a step further than Canada's One-for-One Rule, implemented in 2012. It managed to save Canadian businesses more than $22 million and 290,000 compliance hours between 2012 and 2014 alone, according to the Government of Canada.

Such a rule has been long overdue in U.S. regulations — or indirect taxation, as I call them — which often stand in the way of growth and create economic friction. The libertarian think tank Competitive Enterprise Institute calculates that the annual cost of regulations amounts to a jaw-dropping $1.9 trillion, a figure that in 2014 exceeded the $1.7 trillion collected in federal income taxes.

In a 2014 survey conducted by PWC's Centre for the Study of Financial Innovation, global financial leaders cited regulatory pressure as the No. 1 impediment to financial growth, followed by political interference. It's still near the top of the list in a more recent update of the survey.

-http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/06/trump-business-regulation-order-returns-billions-of-hours-to-companies.html

Interesting, i didn't know Canada had a similar policy of regulation management.

The findings in business survey's as well as testimonies from business executives all seem to stress the same point that over-regulation is one of the biggest problems for economic and financial growth.

This coincides with my experience.

I do wonder why, if this has been done in other countries, and this issue of over-regulation has been known for so long.

That something hasn't been done like this till now.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    I wonder which regulations will be cut... tax loopholes for elites or environmental legislation? U.S. needs more regulations not less in areas such as data protection.
    Mantis37 said:

I wonder which regulations will be cut... tax loopholes for elites or environmental legislation? U.S. needs more regulations not less in areas such as data protection.

Yes, all eyes are on his speech tonight. Probably his most important one as President.
    Speaking of speeches, the Japanese interpreters for Trump's recent meeting with the Prime Minister of Japan did not translate Trump word for word because they felt that using his words would make them sound stupid. Isn't that funny?

This is also the guy that decried the tragedy of 7/11 and regularly lies and cites fake news. The washington post recently had an article saying that he had not gone one day since election without lying to the American people - be it about small things like crowd size at his innaugaration to other things.

edited February 2017
    Democrat Party hits new low in state legislature.

The Democratic Party will hit a new nadir in state legislative seats after suffering more losses in November’s elections, highlighting the devastation up and down the party across the nation.

When the new year dawns, Republicans will control both chambers of the state legislature and governorships in 24 states. Democrats will hold total control in only five states — Hawaii, California, Oregon, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

State legislatures matter not only because of the laws they can enact, but because of their influence over the redistricting process every ten years. Massive Democratic losses in the 2010 midterms gave Republicans the opportunity to draw congressional district maps in many states before the 2012 elections, effectively locking in a Republican majority in the House of Representatives.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/306736-dems-hit-new-low-in-state-legislatures

The Democrat party needs to rebuild itself quickly otherwise they may be seriously challenged by a third party soon.
    I'm not optimistic about the promise to loosen regulations. The Bush administration famously deregulated the financial industry, and after ~8 years of normal growth, we saw the biggest economic crisis since the Great Depression begin in the last days of Bush's final term. The administration designed a highly expensive bailout plan that included virtually no accountability for the folks who had presided over corporate bankruptcies, and often, companies who received those bailouts spent the money on executive bonuses rather than propping up the actual company.

The Obama administration implemented the Bush administration's plan, leading to a surprisingly fast recovery. But the incident added to the national deficit, slowed down economic growth, and was entirely avoidable.

I don't think deregulation is going to do much good. It didn't the last time the GOP loosened regulations.

Government regulations are the reason I know that my food is safe, that medical practices have to be scientifically proven to work better than placebos, that children cannot be thrust into 8-hour workdays, that nuclear power plants have to take extra precautions to avoid meltdowns, that manufacturers can't pour toxic waste into the water supply, that financial brokers are required to serve the interests of their clients... all of the things that make sure companies are actually strengthening the country and not simply collecting profits.

China runs an economy with extremely loose regulations, and where regulations are enforced by people who have financial ties to the companies they're in charge of regulating. They have high growth, but the air is toxic and lung cancer rates are among the highest in the world. Restaurants use oil from the sewer (yes, oil that is literally scraped from the sewer) to cook food. The water is undrinkable unless you boil it. Innovation is notoriously absent in China because patent protections are toothless and it's cheaper to make low-quality knockoffs than to spend money on research and development. And inequality is higher than the U.S.

Laws and regulations aren't just random rules that people invent for no reason. Which regulations does the Trump administration plan on preserving? Because the last GOP administration did not choose well.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Balrog99 said:

This thread has become a tennis match.
    Deuce!

That is why I am not really here any more--I don't like tennis all that much.

Tom Perez, who was Labor Secretary during Obama's Administration, is the new chair for the DNC after narrowly defeating Keith Ellison. Many Democrats feel that this is yet another sign that things are not changing for their party, viewing Perez as a continuation of insider politics. Democrats who feel that way were hoping for Ellison, who is currently chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus and is the first Muslim elected to Congress. Perez did reach out to that wing of the party though, naming Ellison as Deputy Party Chair as his first official act. It is unclear yet what this may mean for the Democrat Party--probably won't make much difference for 2018 but 2020 is impossible to foretell.

If you think that the United States is nothing but full of division and mistrust between groups, though, you are mistaken. When the mosque in Victoria, Texas got burned--yes, it was arson, according to investigators--another local church offered the use of their facilities to the Muslim congregation...only it wasn't a church but a synagogue. Temple B'Nai Israel handed over the keys so that their fellow Muslim citizens could satisfy their daily prayer requirements (five times each day, in case you were unaware). Now *that* is cooperation.

Moon Duchin, an associate professor of mathematics at Tufts University, is applying the principles of metric geometry to the topic of gerrymandering, widely viewed as the number one problem with politics in the United States. Apparently, one of the problems when addressing gerrymandering is that courts have stated that districts should be "compact" but the definition of "compact" is unclear. How oddly can a district be shaped before it becomes unrepresentative of the people who live inside it? Incidentally, "compact" as a concept from topology doesn't mean what you probably think it means.

Finally, Mack Beggs began the transition from female to male two years ago but according to UIL rules in Texas he must continue to wrestle in the girls' competition because that is the gender listed on his birth certificate. He just won the State Championship but critics are stating that he was cheating because of his regular testosterone injections which are part of his transition. Clearly it would be unfair to strip Mr. Beggs of his title because he participated according to the rules as they exist but the critics are correct in their assessment that he has an advantage over his average opponent. Apparently the UIL needs to update their rules. Disclosure: my daughter knows Mr. Beggs--they have a couple of classes together.

I'm not optimistic about the promise to loosen regulations. The Bush administration famously deregulated the financial industry, and after ~8 years of normal growth, we saw the biggest economic crisis since the Great Depression begin in the last days of Bush's final term. The administration designed a highly expensive bailout plan that included virtually no accountability for the folks who had presided over corporate bankruptcies, and often, companies who received those bailouts spent the money on executive bonuses rather than propping up the actual company.

The Obama administration implemented the Bush administration's plan, leading to a surprisingly fast recovery. But the incident added to the national deficit, slowed down economic growth, and was entirely avoidable.

I don't think deregulation is going to do much good. It didn't the last time the GOP loosened regulations.

Government regulations are the reason I know that my food is safe, that medical practices have to be scientifically proven to work better than placebos, that children cannot be thrust into 8-hour workdays, that nuclear power plants have to take extra precautions to avoid meltdowns, that manufacturers can't pour toxic waste into the water supply, that financial brokers are required to serve the interests of their clients... all of the things that make sure companies are actually strengthening the country and not simply collecting profits.

China runs an economy with extremely loose regulations, and where regulations are enforced by people who have financial ties to the companies they're in charge of regulating. They have high growth, but the air is toxic and lung cancer rates are among the highest in the world. Restaurants use oil from the sewer (yes, oil that is literally scraped from the sewer) to cook food. The water is undrinkable unless you boil it. Innovation is notoriously absent in China because patent protections are toothless and it's cheaper to make low-quality knockoffs than to spend money on research and development. And inequality is higher than the U.S.

Laws and regulations aren't just random rules that people invent for no reason. Which regulations does the Trump administration plan on preserving? Because the last GOP administration did not choose well.

The Trump administration seems to be choosing regulations arbitrarily. The whole "two regulations for every one" gimmick is the definition of arbitrary and capriciously choosing to target regulations not because of any thought or care but because you don't like them. Another form of regulation you didn't mention is airline and auto safety. There are specific regulations for airlines types. For the next four years (or until Trump is impeached), if there is a new regulation needed for a newly discovered problem in aircraft, they won't be able to push out the information without cutting safety regulations. It's really nuts to just say "uh two regulations !", his other executive order at least made more sense about setting up commissions to try to find regulations to cut.

It seems like his plan to make America Great Again means rolling back centuries of progress and aiming to take the USA back to the days of the railroad tycoons, child labor, steel and oil barons. Back in those days, tobacco was healthy, lead pipes and lead paint were great,,and Americans lacked safety and protective regulations.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    vanatos said:

Democrat Party hits new low in state legislature.

The Democratic Party will hit a new nadir in state legislative seats after suffering more losses in November’s elections, highlighting the devastation up and down the party across the nation.

When the new year dawns, Republicans will control both chambers of the state legislature and governorships in 24 states. Democrats will hold total control in only five states — Hawaii, California, Oregon, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

State legislatures matter not only because of the laws they can enact, but because of their influence over the redistricting process every ten years. Massive Democratic losses in the 2010 midterms gave Republicans the opportunity to draw congressional district maps in many states before the 2012 elections, effectively locking in a Republican majority in the House of Representatives.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/306736-dems-hit-new-low-in-state-legislatures

The Democrat party needs to rebuild itself quickly otherwise they may be seriously challenged by a third party soon.

So you can stop blaming the Democratic party any time. Whatever happens next, it's all on the Republicans.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Betsy DeVos put out a statement praising Historically Black Colleges as "pioneers of school choice". What profound ignorance. They only exist in the first place because African-Americans at that time HAD NO OTHER CHOICE.
    edited February 2017

The devil is in the details.

We can't justify choking down businesses to the point they can't survive because of regulations, nor can we justify making things more dangerous because we want to get rid of them.

If we don't make things more practical for the average american then no one wins.

Regulations wouldn't have done much for the financial industry, the banks collapsed during the Great depression too.

Bubbles are in fact a function of the nature of being debt-driven economy, really the only effective way to mitigate disaster is to have the right people involved in overseeing the thing in various different groups.

The Federal Reserve does need to be more strongly separated from Banks and audited however.
    I think it's about time someone pointed out that DOZENS of bomb threats are being called into Jewish Community Centers and schools every single day now, in addition to another Jewish cemetery being vandalized every 24 hours. Trump may have won the Presidency with his rhetoric about "the other", but at the cost of unleashing demons that can't be put back in the bottle.
    edited February 2017

I think it's about time someone pointed out that DOZENS of bomb threats are being called into Jewish Community Centers and schools every single day now, in addition to another Jewish cemetery being vandalized every 24 hours. Trump may have won the Presidency with his rhetoric about "the other", but at the cost of unleashing demons that can't be put back in the bottle.

Trump can hardly be blamed for that, unless your claiming Trump himself is anti-semitic.

Which is amusing since his son-in-law is Jewish as well as his daughter converting.

Jewish hate-crime is astronomically higher then any other religious group, this is actually one of the most under-reported phenomenons and has been happening since forever, straight through all past Presidents.

I used to look into this stuff like 5-10 years ago, and i remember the FBI statistics that jewish hate crime accounted for something like almost 70% of reported religious motivated hate-crimes in FBI statistics.

If Trump is guilty in some fashion, every other President would be guilty as well.
    edited February 2017
    I don't have to claim he is anti-semitic to lay the blame on him at all. His top advisor is, and Bannon is steering the ship. Why the omission of Jews from the Holocaust statement?? Why did Trump take legitimate questions about a rise in hate crimes against Jewish establishments as a personal attack (when they were nothing of the sort)?? And that is all besides the point. Having a bigot in the Presidency gives license to the dark recesses of the American psyche to act out. Which they are. And let's not pretend the Neo-Nazi movement in this country isn't estatic and emboldened by Trump's election. Their own words prove this.
    edited February 2017

I don't have to claim he is anti-semitic to lay the blame on him at all. His top advisor is, and Bannon is steering the ship. Why the omission of Jews from the Holocaust statement?? Why did Trump take legitimate questions about a rise in hate crimes against Jewish establishments as a personal attack (when they were nothing of the sort)?? And that is all besides the point. Having a bigot in the Presidency gives license to the dark recesses of the American psyche to act out. Which they are.

Because it is arbitrary and is just another hallmark of the media being so obsessed over Trump they are laying the blame for every little thing in America at his feet.

This kind of 'game' the media is playing displays a shocking level of disregard for actually caring about the average american, because they are so obsessed in their hatred of Trump they aren't interested in looking at the real causes of issues as they affect Americans.

If we have to go into some great ridiculous detail of point-by-point analysis of Trump and his Jewish Relations.

1.He has a Jewish son-in-law and his daughter converted.
    2. Stephen Miller, his policy crafter and inner-circle is Jewish
    3. Steven Mnuchin is Jewish, evidently they have a 10+ year close relationship
    4. Lots more in his inner-circle are Jewish
    2.He spoke at AIPAC to a Jewish audience to strong applause.
    3.He has repeatedly affirmed strong commitment to Israel.

Particularly disgusting allegations, since he actually has a Jewish son-in-law and he is one of his closest advisors which the media made a point of telling us repeatedly during the election.

Of course the media just happened to have forgotten this one incredibly pertinent point, it just kind of slipped their mind he has a Jewish son in law, his daughter converted to Judaism, and he is one of his closest advisors.

If anything, Trump should be far more scrutinized on the basis of favoring Jews because has a Jewish son in-law and he advises him closely, in other words he has a quasi-familial tie.

This doesn't fit the narrative of the media however.

It is hilariously amusing to listen to this charge, Have you seen his inner-circle? There is quite alot of Jewish people there.

The media also happened to have forgotten Stephen Miller.

The media also happened to have forgotten Steven Mnuchin

And this is just the more visible members.

Rofl, Trumps inner-circle has so many Jewish people that its hilarious to even hear this charge play out, I expected more charges that he was some slave to Jewish puppet-masters then anything else.
    Post edited by vanatos on
    And like clockwork, Trump today told a gathering of State Attorneys General that some of these Jewish hate crimes may be false flag operations. Why in the hell is he taking this personally??
    edited February 2017
    I imagine having a Jewish son-in-law, Jewish daughter and jewish grand-children might make him sensitive to superfluous charges of anti-antisemitism.

I do wonder at the mentality of the media disregarding his family Jewish members in order to attack him as anti-Semitic.

It seem's these people have little ounce of self-restraint to make such charges.
    vanatos said:

I imagine having a Jewish son-in-law, Jewish daughter and jewish grand-children might make him sensitive to superfluous charges of anti-antisemitism.

I do wonder at the mentality of the media disregarding his family Jewish members in order to attack him as anti-Semitic.

It seem's these people have little ounce of decency to make such charges.

The media never did what you are suggesting. They asked about anti-semitic hate crime rise and Trump immediately made every question about himself.
    edited February 2017

The media never did what you are suggesting. They asked about anti-semitic hate crime rise and Trump immediately made every question about himself.

You'll have to clarify what you mean since Trump didn't talk about himself in the screenshot you provided.

From your screenshot however i see 'He did say at the top it was reprehensible'.

This Shapiro states he was confused about Trumps later statements after that, Is the lack of understanding what Trump meant, grounds for antisemitism?

And the media has been implying Trump has been antisemitic for quite awhile, its one of the more transparent attacks against him.

CNN panel outright states this for days on end.
    vanatos said:

I expected more charges that he was some slave to Jewish puppet-masters then anything else.

You're right! He must be a slave to those sexy Jewish puppet-masters!

In all seriousness, I don't believe Trump himself is really anti-Semitic. Aside from a comment way back in the day saying the only people he wanted handling his money were little guys in yarmulkes (as opposed to black accountants), I've heard him say nothing particularly anti-Semitic. I think the spike in anti-Semitic acts is because anti-Semites have gotten the impression that he is one of them, and feel they are in control now, where they were not before.

Both Trump's supporters and his opponents project views onto him.

Personally, I think it's understandable. He's been known to change his position over the course of a single day; it's often been unclear what his views really are.
    edited February 2017

Both Trump's supporters and his opponents project views onto him.

A truer statement has never been said.

Amusingly, you could say Trump opponents imagine him to be Hitler more then actual Nazi's rofl.
    vanatos said:

A truer statement has never been said.

I'm so smart. Everybody likes me.

*gives everyone a warm hug*
    Wilbur Ross has just been sworn in.

The surprising thing is the vote, 72-29.

This is encouraging news that were moving towards bipartisan collaboration now to work together across political groups.

The stupid stonewalling bipartisan nature of American politics has hindered progress alot for past administrations.
    Trump is very clearly saying that he thinks some of the bomb threats and cemetery vandalism is either being committed by Jews themselves or by people trying to make him look bad. And again, the question isn't whether Trump is Anti-semitic. The question is why he takes legitimate questions about a spike in Jewish hate crime as a direct personal attack on him, even when they aren't remotely framed that way. Listen to the one at his latest presser. The reporter goes OUT OF HIS WAY to say he doesn't think Trump is anti-semitic, and he STILL takes it that way. It's bizaree behavior at a minimum.
    I wouldn't say Trump is anti-Semitic. Racist? Yes, anti-Semitic not outwardly.

The thing is he's steering the ship. His attacks on immigrants, Muslims, women, and his (at best) ignorance about "the blacks" has clearly emboldened racists with their own agendas of anti-Semitism.

Perhaps they see the things that Trump has done and heard the dog whistles and think they won't be punished because they think that in Trump's America, this behavior is fine. Trump's regime are the ones that took white supremacists off the countering violent extremism program. He is usually silent or the last one to say anything about terrorism and violence committed by white people.
This discussion has been closed.