Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• vanatosvanatos Member Posts: 876
    edited March 2017
    More than half a million women and girls in the U.S. are at risk of undergoing FGM in the U.S. or abroad, or have already undergone the procedure, including 166,173 under the age of 18, according to the Population Reference Bureau (PRB). Immigration to the U.S. from African and Middle Eastern countries—where the practice of FGM is a deeply entrenched cultural tradition—is the sole factor for the rise in numbers, says Mark Mather, a demographer at PRB who led the data analysis. There has not been an increase in the practice happening in the U.S. itself, he says.

According to the latest numbers, nearly one in five girls at risk for FGM in the U.S. are from Egypt, which tops Somalia as the most at-risk country.

http://europe.newsweek.com/fgm-rates-have-doubled-us-2004-304773?rm=eu

The media doesn't show nearly a fraction of the problems in our society.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited March 2017
    Wow NY and California are European now? I must have missed some huge news /s
    edited March 2017
    Probably missed my earlier post.

"Young girls are being sent to Britain for the abusive removal of their genitalia by migrant families across Europe because the country is regarded as a soft touch on the ritual, an investigation has found."
    -http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/migrants-from-europe-bringing-girls-to-tolerant-britain-for-genital-mutilation-7965148.html

We could play this game where i keep posting this stuff from European countries.
    @vanatos You can post however many links you want, you've already proven yourself wrong. What you said is
    vanatos said:

Do Muslims face anything in europe over Female Gentical Mutilation ? No.

The article you just linked says

"[...] the penalties are tough in France – more than 100 people have been convicted there, serving prison sentences of up to 13 years [...]"

So they do "face anything in Europe". You were wrong. Just say "sorry, my bad" and move on.
    edited March 2017
    I'll answer your facetious answer with another article.

NEW YORK, 5 February 2016 – At least 200 million girls and women alive today have undergone female genital mutilation in 30 countries, according to a new statistical report published ahead of the United Nations’ International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation.

Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting: A Global Concern notes that half of the girls and women who have been cut live in three countries - Egypt, Ethiopia and Indonesia - and refers to smaller studies and anecdotal accounts that provide evidence FGM is a global human rights issue affecting girls and women in every region of the world.

https://www.unicef.org/media/media_90033.html

btw, your first reply to me was asking for evidence of this acceptance in Muslim communities in Europe to which i took the effort to post not only Islamic textual support but these articles, Even as you reply rudely to every post i made.

Keep that in mind.
    @vanatos Actually, I mentioned neither acceptance nor Muslim communities. You're imaging things. I asked for evidence specifically for your claim that Muslims face nothing for mutilation, i.e. are allowed to do it.
    edited March 2017
    If your concern was so honest, I imagine you'd be thankful in someone taking the time to post articles for you, instead of accusing me of being a 'Trumpist' whatever that means.

According to Sussex Police, FGM is a crime that is "hugely under-reported" at the moment.
    http://www.figo.org/news/fgm-hugely-under-reported-0013922

My post was about Muslim communities facing less backlash for things as a counter-point they are always facing exaggerated backlash, as many issues are deemed culturally sensitive.
    @vanatos Sure, thank you for posting articles. However, they do not prove your claim. On the contrary. They indicate that the mutilation is illegal and has been punished in Europe, whereas you said they do not face anything for genital mutilation. You could man up and admit you misspoke, or you can keep posting links...

@vanatos Sure, thank you for posting articles. However, they do not prove your claim. On the contrary. They indicate that the mutilation is illegal and has been punished in Europe, whereas you said they do not face anything for genital mutilation. You could man up and admit you misspoke, or you can keep posting links...

Sure, apologize for being rude to me through this entire exchange.
    I'm sorry if I offended you.
    edited March 2017
    Apology accepted.

My post was about Muslim communities facing less backlash for things as a counter-point they are always facing exaggerated backlash, as many issues are deemed culturally sensitive.

The last point of FGM was an exaggeration in exasperation as it is well reported that FGM is more often then not kept hidden from authorities by the victims community and it is under-reported by authorities as well.

If that caused confusion for you, I will endeavor to post with less candidness in the future to you.
    @vanatos It didn't confuse me at all, rather it was the lack of candidness - as in, it was outrageously untrue - that was the problem. Ridiculous exaggeration does not help to make a serious point. Had you said "FGM is more often then not kept hidden from authorities by the victims community and it is under-reported by authorities as well" earlier I would have applauded your candidness and agreed this is a problem. But Muslims not facing anything for FGM is not a problem, it's not even a thing.
    edited March 2017

@vanatos It didn't confuse me at all

Thanks for admitting you engaged in pointless argumentation when you understood the context in the first place.
    And has your conduct in this thread been without exaggeration the entire time? dispense with the hypocrisy.
    @vanatos Probably not, but that's not even relevant. I was simply pointing out an obviously untrue claim.
    edited March 2017

@vanatos Probably not, but that's not even relevant. I was simply pointing out an obviously untrue claim.

Except you admitted you understood the context to which it wasn't untrue, so evidently not only were you rude but obsessed about disproving something you accepted as candid exasperated statement.
    @vanatos I don't understand. It is untrue. Even you said it was an exaggeration.
    If you don't understand, Then it's surprising you've engaged in the same behavior in the thread.
    You'll need to explain to yourself then.
    Nice ninja edit there after I already replied
    edited March 2017
    @FinneousPJ I don't understand.

Dutch elections: Turkish minister claims 'holy wars will soon begin in Europe' after Geert Wilders beaten
    Minister claims there is no difference between liberal politicians and 'fascist' far-right leader

-http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-elections-netherlands-geert-wilders-freedom-party-turkey-fascist-no-difference-rallies-islam-a7632571.html

Turkey is really dead set on being antagonistic.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    vanatos said:

@FinneousPJ I don't understand.

Dutch elections: Turkish minister claims 'holy wars will soon begin in Europe' after Geert Wilders beaten
    Minister claims there is no difference between liberal politicians and 'fascist' far-right leader

-http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/dutch-elections-netherlands-geert-wilders-freedom-party-turkey-fascist-no-difference-rallies-islam-a7632571.html

Turkey is really dead set on being antagonistic.

Maybe Michael Flynn is back working for Erdogan again since his stint serving under an American strongman didn't work out......
    That would be funny.

It's regrettable how lame the Son's of Ataturk have been with Erdrogen, sad to see since Ataturk explicitly charged the army to maintain a secular society.

Not that i'm advocating military takeover, but they could have been more active in raising awareness in Turkey.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    A bit more on Fukushima, the Japanese government have been found to be liable for it due to their collusion with the nuclear power industry and failure to regulate properly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/17/japanese-government-liable-negligence-fukushima-daiichi-nuclear-disaster
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    vanatos said:

That would be funny.

It's regrettable how lame the Son's of Ataturk have been with Erdrogen, sad to see since Ataturk explicitly charged the army to maintain a secular society.

Not that i'm advocating military takeover, but they could have been more active in raising awareness in Turkey.

Ironically, the failure of the military takeover - an undemocratic act - also marked the beginning of end of Turkey as a democracy (or what ever left of it at that time).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    One could frame an argument like this about a worse problem than female genital mutilation in the USA:

There's a wave of christians in the USA that are not vaccinating their children. This has led directly to deaths of hundreds of children. This terrorism of children must be denounced by other members of their religion immediately.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "As I've mentioned before, the Bundy Boys basically committed open sedition on national television for over a month. They used arms to take over Federal land that was the property of the citizens of the United States and threatened to kill law enforcement officers in both Oregon and Nevada (where they actually took up sniper positions against Federal agents). How often (outside liberals on the internet) were these yahoos ever referred to as terrorists?? Despite every one of these guys being a Christian, it was never blamed on their religion. Major Christian groups were not called upon to issue press releases denouncing their actions."

As a Christian, I can confidently tell you that most of us do not consider these people Christian. Calling yourself something does not make it true.
    Trumpists are pretty indoctrinated as well. The whole "everything is fake news except what I say" and everyone who has a different view is the enemy.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited March 2017

Trumpists are pretty indoctrinated as well. The whole "everything is fake news except what I say" and everyone who has a different view is the enemy.

The lies he has told are staggering at this point. There is no modern comparison to what is going on. He lies about the crime rate in this country on an almost daily basis. He made up an accusation that his predecessor wiretapped his building to swing an election. He said 3 million people voted illegally (every single one of them for his opponent). He claimed that the crowds at his swearing in were larger than they were in the face of PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE. He claim there was a terrorist attack in Sweden that didn't take place. He blamed Delta airlines for the chaos caused by his first travel ban executive order. He blamed his Generals for his failed Yemen raid. He said Obama released 122 prisoners from Guantanamo when nearly ALL of them were released by Bush.

He has never taken responsibility for a single mistake in his life, and never, ever will. Harry Truman coined "the buck stops here". With Trump, the buck can stop anywhere BUT with him. Arnold, Meryl Steep, Chuck Schumer, the Democratic Minority in Congress, the media, Obama, Paul Ryan, his staff, the intelligence community, people who voted against him, his own wife (after the plagiarism during the RNC). Donald Trump will literally run through every single one of the 318 million people living in the United States before he would accept blame or responsibility for anything, and if he ran out of those, he'd move on to Canada and Mexico.

He has no policies beyond "what we have now sucks, and I'm gonna destroy it and make it great". He doesn't have a clue how the government actually functions. Here is him today REFUSING TO SHAKE HANDS with the leader of Germany who is HIS GUEST!!! He won't even acknowledge she is there. The misogyny dripping from this video is just palpable. This man has no use for women he can't view as a sexual object, ESPECIALLY one who is powerful. Donald Trump is, above all else, a repulsive excuse for a human being. He's everything in life any decent parent would teach their child not to be.

Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    So Trump's there insulting Germany after his staff repeated a fox news lie and insulted the UK yesterday by saying the UK had been spying for Obama on Trump.

Another day another traditional ally thrown under the bus.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    He looks like he is pouting.

What are they suppose to be talking about?
This discussion has been closed.