Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited September 2014
    Is it legally binding? There seem to be conflicting sources on this, like the UK Prime Minister says he will consider it to be binding but I don't know what the actual law says on the matter.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    The Scottish Referendum is legally binding. I am not a lawyer, but in agreeing to hold the referendum, the UK accepted the possibility of Scottish Independence. Modern Britain appears to be remarkably faithful to its public announcements of support for liberty and self-determination, even when it's national interest is severely threatened as is the case with potential Scottish secession.

If there is a Yes vote, Scotland will leave the Union and will become an independent nation. What is not clear is how this will be implemented and the negotiations leading up to actual independence will take many months, if not years. The SNP want a declaration of independence by early 2016, but that's probably optimistic given the plethora of sensitive and core interests that need to be settled by the Westminster and Edinburgh governments.
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540

Rouble you Russian people

fixed that for you

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited September 2014
    As an Englishman I would like to see each country within the UK retain it's own distinct cultural identity but I can't see how everyone going their own separate ways benefits the UK as a whole. My biggest fear is that a 'yes' vote (for Scottish independence) will be seen as a vote against the English as a race rather than a vote against Westminster itself, which is widely disliked throughout all of the UK.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Just as the Amish have problems deciding where exactly to draw a line under advances in technology (which according to Bill Bryson has caused splits). The UK at the moment doesn't seem sure of which period we should have stopped being separate kingdoms. I suspect the true cause lies with alienation and a sense of abandonment that is a natural product of our London-centric country.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JairyannaJairyanna Member Posts: 209
    dunbar said:

I still feel like I've stumbled into an exam room having done no revision.

Exactly how I feel too. And it's not just the media that are involved in the deluge of iffy information, but the campaigners themselves. Every single debate that's been broadcast has had at least one time when one side made a statement that the opposition vehemently declared to be "not true!", "lies!", "out to deceive the people of Scotland". It's impossible to be prepared for the exam when all your resources contradict one another.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    edited September 2014
    Sorry guys, I've been so busy the last few days I haven't had time to read and contribute to my own creation! @JessicaKrystal‌ found this though, she thought you might get a laugh. Especially if your Australian. :)

http://www.abbottsimulator.com/

I'll be free before to long, I hope to read some of this awesome stuff real soon! :D
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    I'm a foreigner but all this story inevitably indeed reminds me of William Wallace

When I think about those past times, I feel that Scotland needs to be independent.

But when I think about what GB is today, I feel it should stay unchanged. One of the best ecomics in the world, good traditions, oil/gas and energy rich...

Anyway, no matter what the result will be, I agree with the Sun here:

• MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    edited September 2014
    Full as history is, of English violence. Some three hundred years after Edward I (Hammer of the Scots), Scotland and England were unified under a Scottish king. We have the same line of royals today, so regardless on whether we want them or not (the royals, that is), Scotland doesn't escape English Monarchy by the referendum.

Its likely that choosing to pitch the referendum on the 700th anniversary of Bannockburn plays to some historical nationalism.. though I haven't actually heard anyone make mention of much history in the debate and I don't think they should. Its the current neglect of the North and exclusivity of the South that is the issue.

@Anduin for actual facts about history.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited September 2014
    I can tell you very clear that we have no politicians anymore. These people who call themself politicians are realy and i mean it Puppets of the banking and big corporations scam cabal and they only care (the ones in power) about money and fame in their own circle. Thats all. We are all scewed with these people. And the horrible conditions of the youth in the southern european countrys are not an accident. If you take greek an as example. The elite did a coup in that land. The bankers directly made a coup in the parliament via the EU.

You can say that greek is now a slave nation to the bankers to 100 %. And the other european countrys are very close to the edge too. You just have to see who is where involved in the upper echolon and how laws of the EU comes into place. The democracy of the nations within the EU have no say anymore. The politicians you vote in have no say, they can delay some things but in the end the non democratic thing called the EU dictates from top to bottom.
    edited September 2014
    Anduin said:

And I think they will be again as the Euro is the only currency they will be able to use.

From the sounds of things I doubt the EU will let them use the Euro (in the sense of letting them join the EU). I mean they probably could just declare the Euro to be their official currency but that would be about their only option there.
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2014
    I wonder who would pay for Hadrians wall mkII

id rather they stayed as an Englishman with a strong Scottish ancestry id rather we all stuck togethor. If they choose to go good luck to them though. One thing that would infuriate me though is a currency union, I mean how cheeky is that. Its like breaking up with some one only to find out they've taken all your best things.
    edited September 2014
    I support the independance vote of Scottland. Its not just economy. But screw the damn queen of german heritage... yes. They are germans, so am I. And if british people would admit the reality of their "monarchy" which most do not how could they support a nazi backing bloodline ? i never understood that and it´s time to say good bye to these frauds and elite pervs and robbers!

And i also support novorussija! 100%
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Scotland will keep the current monarchy regardless of today's outcome. Fairly sure Queen Liz was never a nazi sympathiser (although some of Prince Philips relatives were suspect).

@element. Funny you mention Hadrian's Wall as it's been proposed an independent Scotland would loosen its border to attract more immigration. However this could easily be used as a back door into England so borders would probably be actually enforced fairly rigorously.
    Prince Phillip was in the SS and so where the dutch Prince Bernard. Dont wash these dirty people clean just because they hijacked the throne and now call themself British.
    Prince Philips brother was in the SS which is unsurprising considering four of his sisters married German Princes.

He is Prince Consort which means he has no power according to the constitution (although the Queen has elevated him). He is not King of England.

I support the independance vote of Scottland. Its not just economy. But screw the damn queen of german heritage... yes. They are germans, so am I. And if british people would admit the reality of their "monarchy" which most do not how could they support a nazi backing bloodline ? i never understood that and it´s time to say good bye to these frauds and elite pervs and robbers!

And i also support novorussija! 100%

I kind of doubt there are that any people in Scotland that don't have a bit of saxon in them at this point. Maybe some island folks, but we're talking many, many, many generations of people since the saxons arrived in the lowland scotland. So its pretty silly to be complaining about the monarchy because they have German ancestry.
    decado said:

Prince Philips brother-in-law was in the SS

Corrected.
    @elminster thanks, that is of course what I meant to say. Philip doesn't even have any brothers.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

I don't have much to say about the referendum, but I do find it absolutely hilarious that UKIP (UK Independence Party) is opposed to Scottish independence.

That has to be the funniest part of this whole ordeal.

Oddly. They are for keeping nations together. The EU is for crumbling countries into smaller and smaller blocks so that no one country has overall power... Until that is Germany doubled its size...
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    So apparently its 54% no, 46% yes.

The UK is OK.

This discussion has been closed.