Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Anduin said:

And if you do support Birmingham City football club... We feel sorry for your poor, poor mother who must feel so ashamed...

Not saying that Arsenal supporters belong to an inferior tribe or anything like that... BUT Aston Villa still has more European Cups than them

whistles innocently and looks away
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Not to worry @decado‌ ! I'm sure we can work out some reason to hate each other for. This is Britain after all... Are you from the north or the south? (a good dividing line always splits people up...
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Heindrich said:

It never ceases to amaze and annoy me how pervasive and divisive national/cultural identities are.

As @Anduin‌ mentioned, I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with being proud of and celebrating your national/cultural identity. As somebody exposed to both western and eastern culture, I sometimes feel that western (British) culture is too individualistic and does not value or respect good traditions or an awareness of the merits of society.

Patriotism is not a bad thing if it means we care more for our country and countrymen, and work together to build a better society for all, rather than selfishly seek to maximise one's own benefits from society, or totally rejecting it.

Of course Patriotism is often framed in the context of an inferior or evil "other". This is when ignorance, intolerance and prejudice corrupts a positive ideal into something perverse and poisonous.

I think it breeds ignorance, intolerance and prejudice and leads inevitably from the positives. But it's too big a discussion for me on a Saturday, sorry. Maybe someone can be my Biff the Understudy.
    Do you know the Aston Villa result today @Booinyoureyes ? Or are you just being extra insightful?
    edited September 2014
    Anduin said:

Do you know the Aston Villa result today @Booinyoureyes ? Or are you just being extra insightful?

@Anduin‌ Yeah, I knew the result :( At least you are still the best club in Birmingham!

Not to venture too far off-topic, but I think Aston Villa is the funniest team in the Premiership. They are always supposed to get relegated, but then somehow go and beat the best teams in the league and stay up. They beat freaking Arsenal, City and Chelsea last season and they have already beaten Liverpool this year... away! I love how Gary Neville once described them on MNF: "Villa have some daft players, they could do something stupid in big games like score three goals on the counter attack". Hilarious description XD

edit: They better not do anything stupid next Saturday >:s
    Tis true. Aston Villa famously won the old first division twice and the UEFA super cup using the same 14 players in 1984(ish... going on memory here) Since then they have tried to do the same with smallest squad possible. They cause huge upsets sometimes. But most of the time the squad are knackered or injured. Not a bad start from rhis year though @booinyoureyes :)
    Not just the Super Cup but the actual European Cup too! Also, yeah, great start! Liverpool though... sorry @Heindrich‌. They lost again. Atletico had a bad match today as well.

perhaps we should start a football thread...
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    Anduin said:

And if you do support Birmingham City football club... We feel sorry for your poor, poor mother who must feel so ashamed...

ouch
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Daunt said:

deltago said:

Being Canadian, I am glad that Scotland voted No for thwir referendum, however, if I ws fromhe UK,

You claim you're Canadian, but the Welsh in you is leaking out.
    No. It's my gosh darnit phone. It hates me.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Bah you silly Euros, that game you play with the round white ball is called soccer. We Americans play football.

Which is really a stupid name for it. The only time a foot touches the ball is for field goals or kick offs.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    CaloNord said:

Their are new laws and sweeping new powers for police to fight terrorism, I'm becoming a little concerned.

Some of the powers seem like things we already have in Canada, though you can be sure that whatever new powers they are given will never be rolled back.

"Under the tough legislation, which Prime Minister Tony Abbott said would be introduced into parliament this week, it would be a crime for an Australian citizen to travel to any area overseas once the government has declared it off limits."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/22/us-australia-security-idUSKCN0HH0M320140922

Supposedly there are exceptions, but this just comes across as being a catch all approach that is bound to cause further problems down the line for individuals who weren't supporting ISIS or helping out in Syria from a military standpoint. It comes across as the government deciding that you are guilty simply for being somewhere (rather than being part of a particular terrorist group).

Though to be honest I'd be more concerned about this.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/consumer-security/new-laws-could-give-asio-a-warrant-for-the-entire-internet-jail-journalists-and-whistleblowers-20140923-10kzjz.html
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Democracy is founded upon freedom of speech and freedom of expression. Is it okay to sacrifice the fundamental tenants of our way of life in order to preserve it?
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    CaloNord said:

Democracy is founded upon freedom of speech and freedom of expression. Is it okay to sacrifice the fundamental tenants of our way of life in order to preserve it?

If it were absolutely necessary that some fundamental tenants such as freedom of speech and expression or rights to privacy be sacrificed or compromised in order to preserve the society, then it would absolutely need to be considered. The problem is when people are threatened with the loss of their "way of life" (meaning democracy with individual liberties) by the powers that be in order to expand the influence of those in power. I don't believe for a second that the NSA's extreme, ongoing violations of the Fourth Amendment rights of U.S. citizens is a necessity to the survival of the United States.

In the event that a fundamental tenant may need to be compromised in some way in order for a state to survive, in particular a democratic state, then a very transparent, public conversation should be had concerning the necessity and exact nature of the compromise. Is it really necessary? Is it worth it? What compromise will be made. How long will the compromise persist (it should never be permanent if it is a means to deal with a temporary issue, yet it always seems to end up being permanent, hmm)?

Those in government positions in a democracy are meant to be civil servants, but in many cases they have been allowed to become a wealthy, powerful elite set apart from the public rather than an extension of the will of the public. The article linked by @elminster which seems that it could give the Australian intelligence service carte blanche to monitor the internet at large certainly should be worrying.
    CaloNord said:

Yes. If your speech or expression hinders another's ability to speak or express freely.
    deltago said:

CaloNord said:

Yes. If your speech or expression hinders another's ability to speak or express freely.
    I'd like to see an example of how this could possibly be so.
    deltago said:

CaloNord said:

I'd like to see an example of how this could possibly be so.
    Public beheadings are the first thing that comes to mind because of Calonord's post. It is an expression of ones distaste for another's life style.

Threatening another into fear of not being able to speak is another vague one I can mention before having to go back to work.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited November 2014
    Holy shit.
    School is closed after the ferguson announcement. I don't know if much of the international community is following this, but it's a bigger deal now than it ever was. Schools closed, and a highway was briefly shut down by peaceful protesters last night, not to mention at least 25 buildings on fire(nowhere near me).
    Post edited by meagloth on
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Yikes, sounds pretty bad. I hope the riots don't last long.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    meagloth said:

Holy shit.
    School is closed after the ferguson announcement. I don't know if much of the international community is following this, but it's a bigger deal now than it ever was. Schools closed, and a highway was briefly shut down by peaceful protesters last night, not to mention at least 25 buildings on fire(nowhere near me).

Dislike :(
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    There's often talk in the Britain about how the US should limit gun availability both to civilians and to police. Guns are for highly trained police(wo)men that are only allowed firearms when authorised by a senior officer or when on duty at certain high risk sites.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    CaloNord said:

That's called liberalism and it has nothing to do with democracy.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,734
    Bloomberg say that oil’s decline is proving to be the worst since the collapse of the financial system in 2008 and threatening to have the same global impact of falling prices three decades ago that led to the Mexican debt crisis and the end of the Soviet Union.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-30/oil-at-40-possible-as-market-transforms-caracas-to-iran.html

And I have to say that among Russian people it's fealt this way: our currency is collapsing with literally every day...

Today I can buy 1 EUR for 64.5 roubles while exactly the same time last year (only a year ago) I could buy 1 EUR for 44.5 roubles ... If the oil's price will be less than 50 USD it would mean the end of Russia. Literally.
This discussion has been closed.