Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    deltago said:

ANY report released by anyone should be taken with the entire shaker of salt.

Fixed it for you
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Funny.
  • artificial_sunlightartificial_sunlight Member Posts: 601
    We are still in the dark. There are rumors that the Dutch government knew it was not safe to fly over the Ukraine, even at 10km hight.
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Politics, wow.

As for the OP I can say that even though it's fun to bash Abbot (the current Australian PM) and even though I'm not a supporter of his by a long shot he is still an intelligent, driven politician that wants the best for his country (IMO).

Unfortunately, Abbot is a product of Australian politics in general where to get into power you have to appeal to the uneducated as well as the educated due to our compulsory voting system.

For starters, the White Australia Policy was one of the pillars on which our country was founded and the last remnants of it were only squashed in the 80s (iirc) and it is still an issue which sees the creation of new political parties usually originating from North Queensland every decade or so.

Furthermore, on the educated side of the fence, the fundamental outcome of any policy that acknowledges climate change is a big cut in profits and job security for many of our primary industries and the workers and business owners who operate them.

I guess what I'm trying to say that Abbot isn't the problem (who is a rhode scholar among other things) but rather a lack of political acuity among the unwashed masses (who I'm a part of) and the short sighted structure of democracy. What is really needed is for politics and economics to be taught in high school to all students and a globally enforced solution to climate change (as local governments are ill equipped to deal with it).

The above probably applies to many countries.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yes. While I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, democracy is in a way founded upon the fallacy that everyone' opinion is equally valid. Even people who don't understand a thing about current issues may still vote.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    My problem with democracy (at least as it's practised in the UK) is that it encourages politicians to only make short-term plans i.e. planning and implementing policies that will keep them in power come the net election, which at the most will only be four years away.

A classic example of this is the Baby Boom. During my lifetime I have watched this bulge of overpopulation work it's way through the various structures of society, detrimentally affecting schooling, entry level jobs, first time buyers house prices, management positions, retirement age and now pensions and elderly healthcare. Most of this could have been avoided if our politicians had thought beyond the next election.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934

Yes. While I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, democracy is in a way founded upon the fallacy that everyone' opinion is equally valid. Even people who don't understand a thing about current issues may still vote.

What makes it worse is the fact that you don't necessarily get to vote for competent representatives either.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    dunbar said:

My problem with democracy (at least as it's practised in the UK) is that it encourages politicians to only make short-term plans i.e. planning and implementing policies that will keep them in power come the net election, which at the most will only be four years away.

A classic example of this is the Baby Boom. During my lifetime I have watched this bulge of overpopulation work it's way through the various structures of society, detrimentally affecting schooling, entry level jobs, first time buyers house prices, management positions, retirement age and now pensions and elderly healthcare. Most of this could have been avoided if our politicians had thought beyond the next election.

Also if a party makes a hard decision and for example cut funding to something, public opinion sways against them and the opposite party then reverses that decision when they get in thereby screwing any chance of a long term sensible policy.

One current example of this is the cuts that are being made by the conservatives, nobody likes NHS funding being cut BUT the deficit is a real problem and will bite us on the arse if we ignore it. Unfortunately the conservatives are now seen as the bogeymen who are trying to destroy the NHS and there's a great chance that they'll be voted out and Labour will come in and "save" the NHS by borrowing some more money to pay for it (putting us back where we were in the first place).

I don't like the conservatives but they do currently seem like the most rational of the parties. God forbid if that brainless twerp Ed Milliband gets in, I'm not averse to the labour party but he makes me worry, hopefully they'll kick him out and get someone more competent as their contender for PM.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I think the best thing to happen in UK politics for a long time is the rise of UKIP, not because of their 'love them or hate them' policies but because their sudden arrival on the scene has really put the cat amongst the pigeons/brain dead zombies of Westminster.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Some little tid bits from Aus! The first, is on a slightly lighter note.

'All hail the Lizard King' has become something of Tony Abbott's motto from the people off late, this is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODbghYb7xBM

Also, this wonderful speech, to an empty Senate by West Australian Greens senator Scott Ludlam is one of my favourite things in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqrfiEV8Gs

Also, for @elminster‌. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7K1sQooJOQ
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    I can't watch at the moment. What's the video?
    He calls canada "Canadia" but quickly corrects himself.

It is a slight slip. I dont mind when politicians do these types of gaffes because, you know at that moment they are not just rehashing a political spin given to them by some advisor no one has heard of, but speaking their mind and giving an honest opinion to the question.

For the opposition to grasp at this fumble instead of the message he delivered tells they had no real political ammunition to rebuttal what he said. They let the issue slide focusing on personal competence to political competence.

It is nothing like candidate George W. Bush congratulating Jean Poutine for his election win.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    Oh the opposition hardly noticed they were to busy tearing him apart for his illegal detention of refugees and children, forced relocations to PNG, the dismantling of our public health care system, the destruction of our public broadcaster and the demolition of the welfare system. They were quite bust at the time. . .
    Destruction of he public broadcaster.... if only Canadia could be so lucky!
    deltago said:

Destruction of he public broadcaster.... if only Canadia could be so lucky!

Yea but how would our national identity thrive/survive without ready access to Schitt's Creek? :p
    CrevsDaak said:

EVERYBODY! Let's go and kill public prosecutors as if they were going to reveal information about a complot involving the Government!

Oh wait... They've already did that on Argentina... And it was the Government, too :|

You get an insightful. Just pretend the eye is crying.

Western "political corruption" is insignificant compared to what other countries do and it is good to be reminded of that.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    CrevsDaak said:

EVERYBODY! Let's go and kill public prosecutors as if they were going to reveal information about a complot involving the Government!

Oh wait... They've already did that on Argentina... And it was the Government, too :|

@CrevsDaak‌ what was that thing with top gear? Was that actually a big thing or was it just marketing and TV drama? Did you even hear about it? (Has anyone else heard about it?)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @meagloth‌ that was some time ago (it was serious (I mean, the people was offended and they attacked him... Not a serious political thing in any way) but not relevant in any, since nobody died xD), besides it's nothing compared with what happened now (a public prosecutor was going to present accusations about the president and part of her party of idiots because of an alliance with some terrorist from Iran and because of covering some attacks on the AMIA and other things by part of some crazies from Iran, but he got killed by agents of the government).
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited January 2015
    deltago said:

Western "political corruption" is insignificant compared to what other countries do and it is good to be reminded of that.

I'm sorry sir, but here we've got the most corrupt court in the whole world. The thing is that since we aren't as poor as other countries (and we aren't on a civil war nor with such a stupid Dictator like in Venezuela) everybody thinks our government works (but it doesn't. Unless by ``works'' you mean spawning proles and burning resources, besides lying even when they tell you the time).
    edited January 2015
    I watched the episode and they drove for huge distances through Argentina and no one took offence and then someone had obviously prepared a lynching party at the end. It's a shame that a small percentage of people decided to make such a large thing of it.
    iKrivetko said:

meagloth said:

CrevsDaak said:

@CrevsDaak‌ what was that thing with top gear? Was that actually a big thing or was it just marketing and TV drama? Did you even hear about it? (Has anyone else heard about it?)
    One of their cars had a license plate that read H982 FKL and a (huge) bunch of idiots decided to find that offensive.
    I know. I was just wondering if it was as bad as the show made it out to be(top gear isn't exactly a reputable news source) and if it had actually made the news anywhere other than top-gear related sites
    CrevsDaak said:

@meagloth‌ that was some time ago

I figured, but the episode just came out now.

meagloth said:

I know. I was just wondering if it was as bad as the show made it out to be(top gear isn't exactly a reputable news source) and if it had actually made the news anywhere other than top-gear related sites

It was all over the BBC when It happened, partially because top gear is a BBC show but probably because "Argentinian hatred" (small minorities) is slightly relevant after the war.
    I hadn't heard anything of it here in 'murica, but that's just me.
    On an unrelated note my government is claiming Canada is not in a combat role in Iraq, even though Canadian special forces are directing our own airstrikes against ISIL (while at the same time being in the position to be shot at by mortar and machine gun fire).

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/01/21/what-is-combat-and-what-isnt-harper-governments-ridiculous-definition-comes-under-fire/

So there is some interesting doublespeak for you.
    edited January 2015
    CrevsDaak said:

@meagloth‌ that was some time ago (it was serious (I mean, the people was offended and they attacked him... Not a serious political thing in any way) but not relevant in any, since nobody died xD), besides it's nothing compared with what happened now (a public prosecutor was going to present accusations about the president and part of her party of idiots because of an alliance with some terrorist from Iran and because of covering some attacks on the AMIA and other things by part of some crazies from Iran, but he got killed by agents of the government).

Apparently your government is claiming it was the protesters who killed him. Which to me seems about as likely as a zombified Elvis killing him.
This discussion has been closed.