Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited November 2017

@smeagolheart makes an excellent point, and it's something I'd nearly entirely forgotten over the last 10 months. One of the first things Trump and the Republicans did was rollback the Obama Administration regulation that would have flagged people in the national database who were receiving Social Security benefits because of severe mental illness, or those who couldn't even handle their own finances. It wouldn't have done much, maybe added 75,000 names to the list. Who knows who may have ended up on it and if it would have saved a life. But it might have. Those with mental health problems so severe that they can't work and need a caretaker much of the time need all the help we can provide them. But what they probably don't need is a frickin' gun. The #1 reason being that any lapse in a necessary medication to control their illness could possibly create a bad situation. People get prescribed all sorts of necessary and unnecessary drugs in this country. But oftentimes the shit really hits the fan when people STOP taking these drugs suddenly.

That's actually an interesting point. Should people be forced to take drugs? The reason why mentally ill folks stop taking them is due to the side-affects. They feel like they're continually in a stupor is what I hear time and time again. It's even worse if they're bi-polar. The manic phase is addictive and basically a long-term rush. They remember the rush and forget about the inevitable depression that follows. It's human nature. Other than having a full time caregiver that makes them take their drugs (and checks to make sure they've swallowed them) what recourse is there?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited November 2017
    Balrog99 said:

@smeagolheart makes an excellent point, and it's something I'd nearly entirely forgotten over the last 10 months. One of the first things Trump and the Republicans did was rollback the Obama Administration regulation that would have flagged people in the national database who were receiving Social Security benefits because of severe mental illness, or those who couldn't even handle their own finances. It wouldn't have done much, maybe added 75,000 names to the list. Who knows who may have ended up on it and if it would have saved a life. But it might have. Those with mental health problems so severe that they can't work and need a caretaker much of the time need all the help we can provide them. But what they probably don't need is a frickin' gun. The #1 reason being that any lapse in a necessary medication to control their illness could possibly create a bad situation. People get prescribed all sorts of necessary and unnecessary drugs in this country. But oftentimes the shit really hits the fan when people STOP taking these drugs suddenly.

That's actually an interesting point. Should people be forced to take drugs? The reason why mentally ill folks stop taking them is due to the side-affects. They feel like they're continually in a stupor is what I hear time and time again. It's even worse if they're bi-polar. The manic phase is addictive and basically a long-term rush. They remember the rush and forget about the inevitable depression that follows. It's human nature. Other than having a full time caregiver that makes them take their drugs (and checks to make sure they've swallowed them) what recourse is there?
    Well, my dad is bi-polar (and was a major drug-addict/alcoholic when he was younger). And yes, he definitely had problems with numerous drugs while treating it (specifically Lithium). But that was far better than when he was hiding cough medicine from my mom in his bedroom dresser. He was able to sustain a successful teaching career (to to a certain point in his life) by becoming obsessed and addicted to exercise instead for most of my childhood. But when my parents got divorced his life pretty much fell apart, and despite holding a Masters degree in Education and having a special-ed license, he has spent the last 15 years on disability. Exercise wasn't the only thing that he was clearly addicted to when I was younger, there was a 5-year period where he was totally obsessed with Macintosh computer technology. I benefited from this from a gaming perspective, but his bedroom was basically a computer lab that had no discernible purpose to our lives. All in all, I'm grateful my dad was on medication, and I damn sure wouldn't want him to own a gun.

The fact that my dad had so many problems with this is the reason that despite bouts of depression and anxiety in my own life, I simply have refused to go down the path of prescription drugs. I have no doubt a doctor would prescribe me Zoloft in a second if I went in, but then where would that lead?? Anxiety always comes from one of three things for me: financial trouble, expensive car repairs, or relationship uncertainty.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited November 2017
    @Balrog99: Yup. That's exactly why so few bipolar people take their meds. I'm bipolar and I've never felt the need to go off them (I've been stable for a decade and I plan on keeping it that way), but a lot of bipolar folks think their meds are keeping them down, stop taking them, and dive right into mania and then depression. It's one of the reasons why so many homeless people are bipolar (mental health problems and substance abuse are the primary causes of homelessness). When I was working at the homeless shelter, the majority of the population was dealing with either mental illness or addictions.

My job was teaching people computer skills and helping them write resumes and apply for jobs. You might not think about it this way, but merely being able to send an email is a very precious skill, and not being addicted to drugs is a major factor in your quality of life.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297

@Ammar , which country are you from? I am interested in figuring out whether gun legislation impacted overall violent crime. If it did thats a good case.

Germany. Not helpful for your question, since we sort of always had it (in modern times anyway).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    ThacoBell said:

That did not answer my question :)

It answered your question quite nicely. The numbers of the Vegas attack CAN be replicated by a truck. Not acknowledging it doesn't make it less true.
    That wasn't the question, though!
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    Sigh...another mass shooting blamed on mental health and not a crappy old written bit of text. Kinda wish it happened in Trumps immediate family(not killed) just to see what his stance would be then.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

I'm not really a big fan of the fact that we run modern society based on a document written well over 250 years ago, but......

It's not really so bad.

Christians are supposed to base it on a document that's 1700 years old, after all. Which in turn has oral roots that go back 4000 years.

English law goes back almost a thousand years.

Re: the standing American peacetime army

Pretty much. America's peacetime military is WAY beyond anything the Founding Fathers could have dreamed of. Much like America itself. More than 300 million people?!

I have to laugh at people who state that they feel they need their guns to repel the U.S. army. There is no amount of firearms a private citizen could own that could repulse the U.S. army.

It can be any reason that people snap - though it's usually spouse problems, divorce, finances or other stresses and people that are normally responsible can snap. It doesn't even have to happen quickly - look at yourself five, ten years ago - are you the same person?

Actually, I'd like to think I'm better. My hobbies are still the same, but I have goals now. Shame I'm about 15 years late on deciding what to do with my life, but except for about a 5 year period from 2010-2014, I couldn't have lived a different life.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    a lot of people deteriorate socially, psychologically etc. a great deal in that span of time, and no one is there to give them support and tell them that they've gone off the rails. if there was a well-regulated militia system, they would have to report for duty (drills) on a bi-/tri-/quadrennial basis and the military authority would re-vet them each time for continued reserve service and thus gun ownership. only the most normal appearing individuals in the community would be eligible and it would be a privilege (carrying some practical benefits too) and an honor
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited November 2017
    Only a sociopath would join a militia - but if your plan is to give all the idiots guns, send them away together to some remote camp, and wait for them to kill each other, then I like your thinking.
    edited November 2017
    @Quickblade

"I have to laugh at people who state that they feel they need their guns to repel the U.S. army. There is no amount of firearms a private citizen could own that could repulse the U.S. army."

I agree. My bad bought a SKS and has friends that actually talk about going to California to fight the Chinese when they invade. No amount of telling him that he's full of shit can convince him that in a real war they wouldn't have a chance in Hell. Not to mention the fact that China doesn't even have a fleet to carry their army over. Apparently the Anti-Christ is going to give them the ability to walk on water or something. Don't bother trying to be logical around zealots. My dad is a great guy otherwise though and he's all talk. I think most of those kind of folks are. That's the saving grace...
    edited November 2017
    Balrog99 said:
    "I have to laugh at people who state that they feel they need their guns to repel the U.S. army. There is no amount of firearms a private citizen could own that could repulse the U.S. army."

I agree. My bad bought a SKS and has friends that actually talk about going to California to fight the Chinese when they invade. No amount of telling him that he's full of shit can convince him that in a real war they wouldn't have a chance in Hell. Not to mention the fact that China doesn't even have a fleet to carry their army over. Apparently the Anti-Christ is going to give them the ability to walk on water or something. Don't bother trying to be logical around zealots. My dad is a great guy otherwise though and he's all talk. I think most of those kind of folks are. That's the saving grace...

What, you mean they'd actually DEFEND CALIFORNIA?

I always figured they'd just wait in Nevada and Arizona, the way the right talks about how useless and feckless it is.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I like the idea that anything not designed explicitly for single shot hunting (ie rifles that would be legal in Canada) be kept in a secure location with a shooting range. You could buy a repeating rifle or machine pistol, but unless there is some serious emergency like an invasion (Ha!), they wouldn't be out in public.

Right to own even more powerful guns could be passed, since you know people will not be able to abuse the privilege of firearm ownership. This could be combined with a militia requirement.
    Fardragon said:

Only a sociopath would join a militia - but if your plan is to give all the idiots guns, send them away together to some remote camp, and wait for them to kill each other, then I like your thinking.

Militia stands for freedom, huh? Free and dumb! ;)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Well, it figures, just as I mentioned before. I just saw the AF did not report the TX shooters domestic abuse issues.
    This is just plain slack.

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    There was a church shooting in Fort Worth back in 1999, after which many churches started quietly asking its members who were current or former military or police officers to come to church armed and sit near the entrances. Gun-free zones are dangerous and present inviting targets to those wishing to cause harm.

Normally, when a gun-wielding maniac is on the loose you want the police to show up and deal with it. It is unwise to place too much faith in the police, however, a fact to which the young woman mentioned in this article will attest.

A small group of protesters had a die-in on Capitol Hill to urge lawmakers to pass more restrictive gun control laws. Seriously? A die-in is about as effective as "thoughts and prayers".
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I advise everyone to stand up before they follow this link, because otherwise you'll fall out of your chair. I think we've finally found the smoking gun that will end the Trump administration.
    CamDawg said:

I advise everyone to stand up before they follow this link, because otherwise you'll fall out of your chair. I think we've finally found the smoking gun that will end the Trump administration.

Wow, you're right. All the Chick-fil-A folks are going to desert him for sure! That'll leave him defenseless against the onslaught...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    CamDawg said:

I actually see nothing wrong with that. The Big Mac or whatever is probably cheaper than what a five star chef can cook up so0o0, why waste their time.
    edited November 2017
    That isn't really the point of the article. The first part of the story is just there to provide context about who Schiller was, which was a bag man for Trump who does his dirty work. The McDonald's part is there to establish that he is a loyal stooge. The actual meat of the article is about him testifying before the House Committee.

We have learned an obese 71-year old man is gourging on fast food and fried apple pie in the middle of the night though, so maybe it IS what will take down the Trump Administration. Think Elvis on the toilet.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

Since the Texas shooting was a mental illness issue and not a gun issue, according to Trump, we probably should see a chart of mental illness massacres in Australia too.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I think blaming violence on mental illness is in general a lazy non-answer.

I think blaming violence on mental illness is in general a lazy non-answer.

Yeah that's the point. Next thing you know Mexico will be calling for a border wall on their Northern border to keep mass shooters out.
    edited November 2017
    Democrats win all 3 major races tonight. VA and NJ Governor races, NYC Mayor, and, in addition, the first transgender State legislator in VA beat a openly anti-trans opponent. Gillespie, the Republican candidate in VA, ran an explicitly Trump-like campaign, focusing on Confederate monuments and gang violence. Democrats are pissed, and they are voting, even in doomed races like the GA-06 earlier in the year.
    edited November 2017

Democrats win all 3 major races tonight. VA and NJ Governor races, NYC Mayor, and, in addition, the first transgender State legislator in VA beat a openly anti-trans opponent. Gillespie, the Republican candidate in VA, ran an explicitly Trump-like campaign, focusing on Confederate monuments and gang violence. Democrats are pissed, and they are voting, even in doomed races like the GA-06 earlier in the year.

They musta got tired of winning, Trump said this would happen if he was elected.

In VA, I've seen reports of voter suppression. Students at college being told they can't vote at the district at the school, only in their home district. On a Tuesday during the school week.

And some "pranksters" hoped to cause confusion. On Twitter a account was active for a couple hours telling Democrats to stay home and vote by text.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    Medicaid expansion in Maine is almost a lock at this point. And in something no one predicted, the VA Legislature may flip to the Dems, which would mean a pretty big EXPANSION of Obamacare.
    edited November 2017
    As I type this, Donald Trump is speaking before the South Korean Assembly, and he is pimping his golf club, and also, as far as I can tell, gave away the general location of one of our stealth submarines.

As I type this, Donald Trump is speaking before the South Korean Assembly, and he is pimping his golf club, and also, as far as I can tell, gave away the general location of one of our stealth submarines.

He also gave the "it's your fault not me" claiming that they lost in NJ and in VA because they didn't embrace him enough. Not Trumpyy enough.
    edited November 2017

Not that anything can do anything about it. You're expecting some hot sub-on-sub action?

(Yes, I've been looking for an excuse to post that somewhere, ANYWHERE, for ages).
    edited November 2017

He also gave the "it's your fault not me" claiming that they lost in NJ and in VA because they didn't embrace him enough. Not Trumpyy enough.
    The key takeaway is the down ballot races in Virginia. Republicans in seemingly safe districts got trounced. There is only one way for average citizens to fight back against Trump, and that involves voting for anyone with a (D) next to their name. Turnout was high. This is the kind of stuff that was happening in 2009, a year before the Republicans took back the House.

And now we can also look at the GA-06 loss in hindsight. This is the election which caused a hard drive of vote data to be WIPED when it was going to be presented in a court case. We may never know who actually won that race.

The biggest actual news tonight is that Maine became the first state to expand Medicaid under Obamacare by popular vote, doing an end-around on certifiable nutcase Governor Paul LaPage. IF the Virginia Legislature shifts (it's close) that would also mean another likely state being added to the pool that had previously been out of it. Beyond that, despite massive efforts at sabotage by the current Administration and straight up denial or misappropriation of funds allocated to get the word out about open-enrollment, RECORD numbers of people are participating in open-enrollment. Tonight and next year are going to be about the GOP attempting to take healthcare away from millions upon millions of people. That is the issue. And if it is, they are in big trouble.

Democrats even picked up two seats in the Georgia State House that were so Republican that they went uncontested last election. Again, look down-ballot, these non-Presidential election waves always give off massive signs under the surface in the odd-year election that precedes them.

At the very least, nearly 100,000 more people in Maine are going to get health insurance because of tonight. Don't let anyone ever tell you politics doesn't matter. It does matter. And keep in mind this all happened in the climate of a media narrative that assumed Democrats were in disarray because of a Donna Brazile article in Politico. Tom Perez, at least in the short-term, is vindicated for tonight. He is clearly focusing on contesting things from the local level up. This sums up the night:

The bigger problem Republicans might have is that tonight PROVED Democrats can do this in 2018. It's been very pessimistic and doom and gloom, even for most of the past week (where some seemed to think they were going to blow the VA race). That wasn't even close to being correct. Republicans can't take back their votes on repealing the Affordable Care Act, and Trump can't erase the fact that some portions of his voters are going to see that there is no wall and Obamacare is not only still alive, but EXPANDING after tonight. The polling average for the VA Governor race had Northam winning by 3%. He is going to win by almost 10%. Again, something clearly taking place that isn't measurable in the polling, just like with Trump in the Rust Belt States a year ago. There are MORE than enough Republican House districts that Hillary lost by 5% or less to flip the House. The Senate is another matter, as the hill is much steeper, but even that can now be put on the table as something that is worth shooting for. I also suppose it helps that EVERY other election in this country besides the Presidency actually declares a winner by who gets the most votes. What a novel concept.

Democrats are also about to get a pick-up in the Washington State Senate, which will give them full-control of the State Government. Trump will still play very strong in deep, deep red parts of the country. The problem is that everywhere else is not only fleeing him, but actively coming out to put a check on his power. The GOP answer for the next month?? Tax cuts for billionaires. Should play well. The biggest loser tonight?? Chris Christie, who is leaving the NJ Governorship as possibly the most unpopular State Executive since the beginning of polling, at a whopping 14% approval.

In case no one noticed, I live for Election Night analysis. I'll take the first Tuesday in November over the Super Bowl any day.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    So, that thing about Samurai warriors in Japan? Was Trump thinking the Japanese could use arrows to take down missiles from NK??
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited November 2017

There is only on way for average citizens to fight back against Trump, and that involves voting for anyone with a (D) next to their name. Turnout was high. This is the kind of stuff that was happening in 2009, a year before the Republicans took back the House.

I told you Trump was going to be a one-termer and this is the first indication of that. That is why no one should push to impeach him, just let him prattle on send out his endless stream of brainless tweets. At this rate, Republicans may lose the House in 2018 but they will still keep the Senate.

Truly off-year elections, though, generally have absolutely abysmal turnout rates, usually about 15% to 20%. I voted (there were some State resolutions on the ballot along with a handful of city ordinance intiatives). Did the rest of you vote (where applicable)?

@Quickblade *sigh* Tv Tropes. Now I am going to be lost for an hour or two chuckling over things and following link after link in that maze. No worries, though.
This discussion has been closed.