Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2017
    Why is there like 3 pages about Hillary. She's not doing anything other than selling a book. Completely irrelevant.

Talk about Trump spending 111 days of his first year at a Trump property. Profiteering off the Presidency, cutting his own taxes bigly at the expense of the middle class and then not releasing his tax returns is way more of a problem than selling a book
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    @vanatos an honest question, if you will indulge an infrequent poster. How do you account for the 3 million more votes Hillary received in the general? Was Hillary just able to hoodwink 3 million more people than Trump was able to hoodwink? And what is your opinion on the electoral college? Does it have a place in our modern democracy?

I’ve followed this thread from day one, but can’t recall if you discussed these items. Forgive me if I’m asking for old info.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2017

"This is what changed, @vanatos. You didn't used to write like this."

I find myself agreeing with @semiticgod here (believe it or not). I used to like reading your posts @vanatos but when you were contributing months ago you were posting your own snippets and many of them were good reads. Trump doesn't need you to defend him. He's a big boy. I'd like to see more of those old posts and less trying to make up for lost time.

I'm not knocking you personally (I actually like having you on the forum) so please don't take this the wrong way...
    bleusteel said:

@vanatos an honest question, if you will indulge an infrequent poster. How do you account for the 3 million more votes Hillary received in the general? Was Hillary just able to hoodwink 3 million more people than Trump was able to hoodwink? And what is your opinion on the electoral college? Does it have a place in our modern democracy?

I’ve followed this thread from day one, but can’t recall if you discussed these items. Forgive me if I’m asking for old info.

It's been a while but I believe he posited the rigged election with illegal votes angle. Correct me if I am wrong.

I found this article very interesting
    https://theintercept.com/2017/12/20/republican-attacks-on-robert-mueller-are-absurd-but-the-gop-has-been-lawless-for-decades/

It describes tactics the GOP has used to justify lawless behavior for decades with specific examples and quotes from political figures.

The current accusations of Mueller are ridiculous but are consistent with tactics that the right has been engaged in for decades. In GOP hyperbole the only impartial justice figures are Republicans. So any Democrat or independent is attacked as totally biased! Then there are several examples cited from Watergate to Reagan where Conservative lawmen let their own go or covered up criminal activity for them. Sound familiar?

Mueller is a Republican but conservative media is already conditioned by years of attacks to accept criticism of anyone investigating the GOP.

Unfortunately Democrats have meekly allowed this narrative to continue to today.

It is ironic the GW Bush feared he would win the popular vote but lose the electoral college. And Republican politicians at the time were outraged preemptively spinning the story. Ray LaHood, a Republican member of the House from Illinois, declared that it “would be an outrage” if Gore assumed office if he lost the popular vote. Chris Matthews also felt strongly, saying that “knowing him as we do, [Gore] may have no problem taking the presidential oath after losing the popular vote to George W. Bush.” Isn't it strange we heard no such positions from the GOP in 2016.

Clinton’s impeachment was overseen by Newt Gingrich and Dennis Hastert, an enthusiastic adulterer and child molester, respectively occurred after four years of investigation. While the Whitewater investigation was over after nine years. Today we have Conservatives having a melt down for the one year of investigation into Trump.

bleusteel said:

It's been a while but I believe he posited the rigged election with illegal votes angle. Correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, that would be disappointing. From a non-partisan perspective, such a massive amount of voter fraud should be concerning to everyone and warrant at least a small investigation. I assume since no investigation happened that there was no evidence of voter fraud.

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    Imagine winning an election and declaring the results fraudulent.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @bleusteel: Pretty much. Trump's claim of millions of fraudulent votes was just him refusing to admit defeat, even on a legally insignificant issue like the popular vote. In-person voter fraud is vanishingly rare--I believe the single or double digits for 2016 (mostly for Trump, not that it matters with such a small number). Most people aren't willing to commit an easily detectable felony in broad daylight just to cast one vote. The more common voter fraud is done by mail, and even that's very rare.

There was an abortive effort to investigate for voter fraud but the states, both red and blue, largely refused, not wanting to entrust the federal government with voter data that's historically been held by the states.
    edited December 2017
    bleusteel said:

bleusteel said:

Oh, that would be disappointing. From a non-partisan perspective, such a massive amount of voter fraud should be concerning to everyone and warrant at least a small investigation. I assume since no investigation happened that there was no evidence of voter fraud.

I think I'm detecting a little tongue in cheek here. ;)

Trump should have said what I would have said, "Oh well, I won with the cards I was dealt." If he had tried to win the popular vote he probably would've lost the election. Instead he didn't bother trying to win over anybody on the coasts. Smug Hillary took the consolation prize. Maybe it'll sell a few books for her...
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

Trump preemptively called the election rigged before he ended up winning. He did so from the stage at a Presidential Debate. He was quite literally implying the election was only valid if he won. Which is very much the same line of thinking as "only Republicans can make Supreme Court picks".

You're right - I totally forgot about that.
    Balrog99 said:

bleusteel said:

bleusteel said:

I think I'm detecting a little tongue in cheek here. ;)

Trump should have said what I would have said, "Oh well, I won with the cards I was dealt." If he had tried to win the popular vote he probably would've lost the election. Instead he didn't bother trying to win over anybody on the coasts. Smug Hillary took the consolation prize. Maybe it'll sell a few books for her...
    Maybe a little :-)

I think you would be smug too if nearly every single poll said you were going to win. It’s not like she was manufacturing her numbers. She definitely took areas of the country for granted and it cost her. C’est la vie.

Trump preemptively called the election rigged before he ended up winning. He did so from the stage at a Presidential Debate. He was quite literally implying the election was only valid if he won. Which is very much the same line of thinking as "only Republicans can make Supreme Court picks".

You're right - I totally forgot about that.
    So many crazy things come out of his mouth, it's easy to get them all jumbled together and forget which conspiracy or boast or insult came in what order.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177

Donald Trump has always been loathsome. The reason it became a bigger issue (his character) is because a US Presidential race is the biggest magnifying glass on Earth, aside from the one put on the actual President.

Donald Trump is a con-man. He and his father were fined for refusing to rent to African-Americans in the '70s. He is straight-up guilty of housing discrimination. He has been stiffing construction contractors for decades, as a matter of business practice because he knew he had more legal resources than they did. He is almost certainly not just sexist, but a misogynist.

Obama, from a character stand-point, was everything the right CLAIMED they wanted during the Clinton years. A loving, faithful husband and father. Almost always polite, calm, gregarious and funny. People, even after a year will look at the pictures or video of the Obamas in the White House, and lament what was lost and where we are now. They KNEW they had to be 5x better at these functions of state and the (somewhat) superficial optics of the office because of the burden of being the first African-American family to live in that building. They were, again, everything the right-wing has been preaching about what the black nuclear family should be for decades. And they were hated for it anyway. And they replaced them with the Romanovs. An Administration that is nothing but a nepotistic grift.

Beyond that, a poll came out the other day that showed Hillary Clinton's approval rating at 36%. And my immediate reaction was......approval of WHAT?? The way she plays Lego with her granddaughter?? Where she takes walks?? She doesn't have a job or position that can be approved or disapproved of, unless you disapprove of the very idea that she continues to exist. If someone asked me what my thoughts on Michael Dukakis or Mitt Romney was in a poll, I'd respond "what the hell are you talking about"?? And this is nothing but a reflection of the fact that the right-wing media has been covering the LOSER of the Presidential Election for an entire year afterwards as if she actually won. Because, more than any other politician I have ever seen, Donald Trump can only exist as a successful entity if he has a domestic political foil. He is defined by being a hate conductor.

I was thinking about your point about Hillary's approval rating... and it almost makes more sense if we were talking about an iconic character such as Batman or Sherlock Holmes. One tendency of some narratives about political figures seems to be to construct them in a way so that one agrees or disagrees with their ethos, rather than analyse their actual record. Iconic characters aren't noted for changing much after all (and those which do fade away...). This strategy chimes quite well with tl;dr culture! By defining himself in a zero sum universe against Clinton Trump secures a decent rump base... and I do know intelligent and personable people who voted for Trump (and to Leave the EU for that matter). Their reason - I hate the Clintons (and Cameron for that matter). Of course this won't work on most people most of the time...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    What a stupid reason for giving your vote.
    edited December 2017

What a stupid reason for giving your vote.

Equally as stupid picking Hillary as a candidate. Literally the only person who could have lost to Trump. Sorry, NOT the party of geniuses any more than the Republicans. You may not like how or why people vote the way they do, but next time stick your damned fingers in the air, instead of your heads in the sand before you choose a candidate. Liberal arrogance caused our current situation just as much as white middle class angst.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited December 2017
    there is nothing intelligent about casting a protest vote and voting out of hate. that is, by definition, a behavior not guided by intellect, but by impulse. it's registers somewhere close to "boooo"
    bob_veng said:

there is nothing intelligent about casting a protest vote and voting out of hate. that is, by definition, a behavior not guided by intellect, but by impulse. it's registers somewhere close to "boooo"

It's just as valid a reason as any other. Sorry... If I voted for Trump because I loved the part in his hair or his leathery orange skin drives me wild those are also valid reasons to vote for him. Unless you're suggesting we do a poll test to make sure people are voting for the right reasons I'd get off that high horse. I actually am quite intelligent and voted AGAINST Hillary. Valid reason as far am I'm concerned. The hardest part for you folks on the left in this forum to understand is the fact that I'd do it again if she ran in 2020.

I'm not an anomaly either. You're not going to win with reasoned arguments, or fear mongering about climate change, or shaming people into thinking they're homophobes or racists. Pick a candidate who makes people feel good about themselves and this country and you'll have a winner. Obama won with hope and change. Hillary lost on hopeless and the same...
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,177
    As an aside while Republicans struggle to deal with allegations of Russian collusion... the same is also true of Leavers in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/moscow-clash-exposes-tory-dilemma-over-russian-meddling-claims

At present the Conservatives argue that Russian interference only matters if it is succesful.... :/ . So whilst losing an election as a result of foreign interference is bad, for the winners dealing with a flawed 'will of the people' can also be somewhat problematic in the long term. (Referendum is a bit different to an election of course.) Foreign interference like this takes advantage of existing weak points in democratic systems and their outcomes, underming them without offering a viable alternative model.
    Mantis37 said:

As an aside while Republicans struggle to deal with allegations of Russian collusion... the same is also true of Leavers in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/22/moscow-clash-exposes-tory-dilemma-over-russian-meddling-claims

At present the Conservatives argue that Russian interference only matters if it is succesful.... :/ . So whilst losing an election as a result of foreign interference is bad, for the winners dealing with a flawed 'will of the people' can also be somewhat problematic in the long term. (Referendum is a bit different to an election of course.) Foreign interference like this takes advantage of existing weak points in democratic systems and their outcomes, underming them without offering a viable alternative model.

The part of the article where it mentions the echo chambers people surround themselves with was particularly disturbing to me. It's dead on when the author asserts that this makes targeted propaganda easy to disseminate. That's one reason I like this thread. I can shout out my views to the world and unless @WarChiefZeke or @vanatos are around I don't get echoes, I get crickets. That doesn't bother me because I like learning how other people think and why they think that way. I'm probably weird, or maybe I'm storing all that info away in the back of my mind so I can use it to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! >:)
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited December 2017
    bob_veng said:

For 'protest' votes it depends upon the context. In a country where there are more than two parties running for election, protest votes (i.e. votes for a third party) can sometimes take an overall majority away from the winning party and maybe get them to rethink their policies accordingly.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited December 2017
    Balrog99 said:

bob_veng said:

It's just as valid a reason as any other. Sorry... If I voted for Trump because I loved the part in his hair or his leathery orange skin drives me wild those are also valid reasons to vote for him. Unless you're suggesting we do a poll test to make sure people are voting for the right reasons I'd get off that high horse. I actually am quite intelligent and voted AGAINST Hillary. Valid reason as far am I'm concerned. The hardest part for you folks on the left in this forum to understand is the fact that I'd do it again if she ran in 2020.

I'm not an anomaly either. You're not going to win with reasoned arguments, or fear mongering about climate change, or shaming people into thinking they're homophobes or racists. Pick a candidate who makes people feel good about themselves and this country and you'll have a winner. Obama won with hope and change. Hillary lost on hopeless and the same...
    you are strawmanning. i don't care about any of the things you are saying here, lke "valid reason", whether you are "an anomaly" etc; i don't even know what that means. i have said that impuse and reaction-based behavior is not a sign of intellect.

to be "an intelligent person" is one thing, but to act intelligently in a concrete situation, a specific context, is something completely different.

the whole construction that you are employing - justifying voting for trump by saying that "intelligent people" also voted for trump and particularly implying that their behavior - protest vote, or 'voting against' signifies greater intelligence relative to other trump voters who were enthralled by his persona is fallacious in every possible sense.

- intelligent people can fall prey to charismatic authority
    - the fact that some intelligent people voted for trump doesn't mean precisely anything in terms of whether it was better to vote trump or clinton
    - intelligent people, when they act intelligently, act, not react
    - intelligent people, when they act intelligently, tend to project outcomes and will not accept any random consequence ("i'll just vote for this guy because i hate that guy" - NOT intelligent)
    bob_veng said:

Balrog99 said:

bob_veng said:

you are strawmanning. i don't care about any of the things you are saying here, lke "valid reason", whether you are "an anomaly" etc; i don't even know what that means. i have said that impuse and reaction-based behavior is not a sign of intellect.

to be "an intelligent person" is one thing, but to act intelligently in a concrete situation, a specific context, is something completely different.

the whole construction that you are employing - justifying voting for trump by saying that "intelligent people" also voted for trump and particularly implying that their behavior - protest vote, or 'voting against' signifies greater intelligence relative to other trump voters who were enthralled by his persona is fallacious in every possible sense.

- intelligent people can fall prey to charismatic authority
    - the fact that some intelligent people voted for trump doesn't mean precisely anything in terms of whether it was better to vote trump or clinton
    - intelligent people, when they act intelligently, act, not react
    - intelligent people, when they act intelligently, tend to project outcomes and will not accept any random consequence ("i'll just vote for this guy because i hate that guy" - NOT intelligent)
    So you're saying that only intelligent people voted for Hillary? No wonder she lost...
    You're not getting the point.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Telling people that their reasons for voting are "stupid" is the same as calling them "stupid." Personal attacks are against the Site Rules.
    @semiticgod It isn't the same, though ;) Furthermore, it wasn't it wasn't @Mantis37 's reason, it was someone he knows.
    edited December 2017
    Balrog99 said:

You're not going to win with reasoned arguments, or fear mongering about climate change, or shaming people into thinking they're homophobes or racists. Pick a candidate who makes people feel good about themselves and this country and you'll have a winner. Obama won with hope and change. Hillary lost on hopeless and the same...

Interesting perspective. To me, the right wins and their main selling points are based on fear mongering. To me, they blame immigrants for taking your jobs! And tell ya every Muslim is a terrorist! And there's a war on Christmas!

Obama did win on hope and change. Then the GOP was out there in the streets (or on Fox News anyway) saying he was a Kenyan Muslim out to take away your guns. More fear mongering...

The left tries to sell a positive message of an inclusive future. It doesn't always resonate especially in hard times. I guess they do fear monger some against Republicans desires to take away their freedoms (voting, gay rights under attack).

But anyway I see the Right as Conservatives they are either conserving what they already have or trying to go backwards to 30, 100, or two hundred years ago on policy. I don't think anyone can say with a straight face that Trump is selling a positive message, it's all negative. Immigrants are taking your jobs, only I can stop then. North Korea only I can do it. Muslims only me. Etc.

Democratic policy under Obama and Clinton to a degree was a positive message with Corporate friendly policy throwing the people a few bones every now and then. They be like "hey everyone, Republican Healthcare!" and then bail out Wall Street.
This discussion has been closed.