Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2016
    deltago said:

Sanctifer said:

deltago said:

But if a region wants to pass legislation that says "Beef sold in our country must only be fed grain from XXX region," then that is a biased law, as it not only limits beef imports, but can also heavily affect grain imports. A corporation, could take that region to tribunal to either scrap or alter the legislation, or ask for a monetary compensation for effected sales of said product. The company would have to prove how much money they'd be losing due to the passed legislation and really can't pull an unrealistic amount out of thin air.

That's the jiffs of it. Everything else that people are saying, is fear mongering.

Ok, so English isn't my language but I'll try to make myself clear, no animosity :) :

Your example is good, in the way that if a region decides to pass legislation, based on environmental ethics or ideas, that says "short circuit" (not sure how to express that in english, it's the idea that you shouldn't import goods from far away when you can have the same thing from a closer area) have to be privileged because it's a effing environmental scandal to transport things that are already available in the area, they should be able to do it without having to pay all the companies in the world some kind of compensation.

I get that idea, and local agricultural (among other goods) will always be predominant in a given region. It is already cheaper for someone to buy local.

Flooding the market with the same type of products however removes the monopoly that certain businesses have, gives consumers more choices and promotes innovation. All of these lower prices for goods.

A population can always be persuaded to buy local through advertising or government subsidies but the consumer should have the last say in what they are going to purchase, not a government.

Yes, but the very idea of "government subsidies to promote local" could be attacked by big companies for loss of profit with a system so vague as the one in CETA.

Also, lower prices on goods are not the ultimate goal to achieve in a society. Fair prices, social security, less pollution, public health, those should be far more important matters.
    But that's of course a personal point of view, so i can understand the logic behind yours ^^

(And, no, it is not necessarily cheaper already to buy local, by the way, especially not within a free trade space.)
    Post edited by Sanctifer on
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    edited October 2016
    deltago said:

(...) and I believe the Canadian International Trade Minister is right in saying, if you can't do it with us, you're not going to be able to do it with anyone.

Oh, on that, I thought it was kind of unfair of her to play the "Canada is so nice" card :p
    Of course Canada is a great country, of course, as Belgian, I can relate to the canadian social structures and stuff.
    That's not the point.

It's all about companies versus states, private corporations vs people.
    I saw it more as a critic aimed at EU itself, at the fact that EU is more concerned about satisfying lobbies and companies vs caring about european people.
    And nobody said canadian companies were the devil and european companies were super great and let's favor them, that really was not the point : the point was not to use CETA (or TTIP or TAFTA or whatever it's called) as an occasion to give even more power to private companies.
    When they're companies from your own land, your parliament can legislate and make the game fair. Take away that power, and what ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    It's just a question of if you are willing to sign away your freedom in exchange for wealth.

Western National Governments can all lay claim to some degree of democratic accountability. Corporations, however well meaning, have no democratic accountability. Thus, if you believe in Democracy, a decision made by a national government (however unfair) should ALWAYS trump corporate interests. "Legal Challenges" should simply be impossible.

Of course, the real question is "do you believe in Democracy?" China is doing pretty well without even paying lip-service to the idea, and a large proportion of the people are quite happy.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    joluv said:

If you can vote on Tuesday, please do.

Voted yesterday! Now to sandbag and hope the losing side doesn't burn it all down.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    procco said:

joluv said:

If you can vote on Tuesday, please do.

Voted yesterday! Now to sandbag and hope the losing side doesn't burn it all down.
    The sore loser rhetoric is nothing new in American politics. Remember the push for some states to leave the union after Obama won the second time, claiming democracy had failed them?
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Yeah, I had forgotten that. This election feels a lot different than those innocent days of 8 years ago. Certain elements of American society are REALLY stirred up. I choose to believe it's mostly a really vocal but small minority of the electorate.
    We'll all find out on Tuesday.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Eh, America is basically a caricature of what it once was. We will either end up with a psycopathic manchild who doesn't believe there could be any consequences for his actions, or one of the most corrupt politicians in our short history.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited November 2016
    X
    @jjstraka34 They are both equally horrendus, just in different ways. Voting has basically come down to which possibility scares you more and therefore voting for the other person.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I voted a week ago.

Truthfully, it won't matter too much which major candidate wins because at least 80% of all government policies and procedures currently in place at the Federal level will continue to exist in the new administration. We never get "change" from Washington, D. C., only slight shifts in the wind.

What most people don't realize is that the closer to home an election is the more impact it has on you. State Senators, State Representatives, city council members, sheriff, tax assessor, mayor, local judges, other associated county or municipal positions, and so on and so forth--these people often have a direct impact on your daily life.

Trump isn't a fascist; he is a businessman. Loud and obnoxious at times, yes, but not a fascist. At worst, his Administration would be a scaled-up version of his reality TV show--loud and obnoxious. To claim that Hillary is no more corrupt than most other politicians is not a good thing. The sad truth, though, is that politicians are corrupt because we allow them to be. When we don't subject them to recall votes or kick them out of office for being corrupt we are giving our unspoken approval of their poor behavior.

I voted for Johnson. Whoever wins on Tuesday, I can sit back and point at the people who voted for the winner and say, with a clear conscience, "this is your fault".

I voted a week ago.

Truthfully, it won't matter too much which major candidate wins because at least 80% of all government policies and procedures currently in place at the Federal level will continue to exist in the new administration. We never get "change" from Washington, D. C., only slight shifts in the wind.

What most people don't realize is that the closer to home an election is the more impact it has on you. State Senators, State Representatives, city council members, sheriff, tax assessor, mayor, local judges, other associated county or municipal positions, and so on and so forth--these people often have a direct impact on your daily life.

Trump isn't a fascist; he is a businessman. Loud and obnoxious at times, yes, but not a fascist. At worst, his Administration would be a scaled-up version of his reality TV show--loud and obnoxious. To claim that Hillary is no more corrupt than most other politicians is not a good thing. The sad truth, though, is that politicians are corrupt because we allow them to be. When we don't subject them to recall votes or kick them out of office for being corrupt we are giving our unspoken approval of their poor behavior.

I voted for Johnson. Whoever wins on Tuesday, I can sit back and point at the people who voted for the winner and say, with a clear conscience, "this is your fault".

Except if Johnson wins, then it's "oh crap"
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,733
    As a foreigner, I've found this interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/us/elections/polls.html?_r=0

Doesn't it feel like that inside USA?
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

Trump isn't a fascist; he is a businessman. Loud and obnoxious at times, yes, but not a fascist. At worst, his Administration would be a scaled-up version of his reality TV show--loud and obnoxious.

The Washington Post had an interesting assessment by a history professor of how fascist Trump is. His conclusion: "He is semi-fascist: more fascist than any successful American politician yet, and the most dangerous threat to pluralist democracy in this country in more than a century, but — thank our stars — an amateurish imitation of the real thing."

Regarding the worst-case scenario for a Trump administration, I disagree. His campaign could be described as a scaled-up version of his reality TV show, but presidents have the power to do real harm.

Hmmm.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    deltago said:

Except if Johnson wins, then it's "oh crap"

I am willing to take my chances. I don't agree with everything the Libertarian Party supports but I dislike them significantly less than I dislike the two major parties. I am going to let my fellow American citizens in on a little secret, though--there really aren't any significant differences between Republicans and Democrats any more, other than the letter denoting their party affiliation.
    With the people I talk to, I get the impression that there are no Trump or Clinton supporters, rather people that hate Trump or Clinton to the point of voting for the other just to deny a win. Granted this could just be in my area.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Finland: the most purely right, local racist party inclusive government since, well, our worst ever interior minister Horelli wanted to court the favour of the nazis by handing over nine war prisoners cum refugees.

The war prisoner bit was clearly against Geneva convention, the refugee bit against just human decency even at the time.

I am glad to say it was a one-time occurence because it was viewed immoral by the populance of Helsinki and protested against, and Horelli even got bit of punishment for it, but not as much as he should have deserved I think.

("Sana: Luovutetut" for reference)

But our current government does not bother me that much, because by being forced unto actual political responsibility, our racist party will be in the opposition for years to come.

It is easy to promise a lot of things from an irrisponsible opposition - but once in power, it is a matter of actual compromise, and action.

I'd perso like to see Kokoomus in opposition next time around - the most right wing party in Finland that actually subscribes to parliamentary representation in earnest.
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    May the odds be ever in your favour
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    We will learn of the presidential election results by 1:00am at latest. Maybe 9:00 at the earliest.

The fate of the country hangs in the balance...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    *grumble grumble*

florida

*grumble grumble*
This discussion has been closed.