Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    A lot of people have proposed that election day should be a national holiday.

I think the day after should be a national holiday. That way I could get smashed and not have to go to work tomorrow.
    procco said:

Global markets are already taking a nose dive. Good job, America. This is shameful.

The global markets should wait until something is actually decided.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    My God....I am literally stunned. I have been killing it on a big project for work but I stopped this evening and I do not even know what to say about how sad I am right now. I am very sorry.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Republicans refused to operate the government then ran on a ticket of "hey look the government's not working!" and it got them votes.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It is over. Donald Trump will be our president next year.

The Republican Party will control the House, the Senate, the Supreme Court, and the Presidency. All three branches of government.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    I really feel sorry for Americans right now. You guys will have four years of... this thing. How horrifying.
    We might still hold Michigan, but Trump's taking Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

The only bright spot I can think of is, at least it's not Cruz.
    edited November 2016

It is over. Donald Trump will be our president next year.

The Republican Party will control the House, the Senate, the Supreme Court, and the Presidency. All three branches of government.

It's going to be interesting to see how that works out. In a lot of ways, he ran against the Republican party, too. When he's president, will he support the Republican agenda, or will he push his own? Will the Congress support him if he does?

Also, the 'Pubs won't have the 60 votes needed to override "filibusters". Will the Dems use that to lock up Trump's Supreme Court nominations. After all, McConnell said the Senate wouldn't approve any of Clinton's nominees no matter who she nominated.

Well, I still have to go to work tomorrow, and I've drunk as much rum as I can without my body punishing me for it. I guess I'll watch the speeches tomorrow. I'm sure Trump will be smugly gracious, but I kind of wish he'd do a Sideshow Bob laugh.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited November 2016
    Hopefully this can be a footnote in a history book in 20 yrs we can point to this day as the day America finally got it's head out of it's butt due to seeing how bad things will be with this guy and an all red senate and house.

Either that this became the day we headed towards being a banana republic type democracy. And this will be the day that things got way worse and discrimination, sexism, racism become even more acceptable and normalized.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    So it's Donnie for prezzie then
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486

Hopefully this can be a footnote in a history book in 20 yrs we can point to this day as the day America finally got it's head out of it's butt due to seeing how bad things will be with this guy and an all red senate and house.

That is what I expect out of this.
    I would be very surprised if trump would or could follow through on his promises for the low-middle income people.
    After 4 years they all remember fondly the years under Obama (he fulfilled a lot of his promises, despite being blocked by the republicans whenever possible ) and its another turn for the democrats - with a fresh candidate.

The Black Mirror episode I watched yesterday was eerily fitting for the current election:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Waldo_Moment

@Yamcha Black Mirror is so good. You get a like.
    edited November 2016
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Welp. I could fall into existential despair, or I could drink and giggle in schadenfreude about the collapse of the American empire, and reflect that at the very least the next few years of US politics will not be boring.

Good thing I bought some gin today!

I feel bad for Hillary, though. I really like her, even if I disagree with her on an awful lot of political points.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,437
    Trump's acceptance speech was very gracious to his opponent - no mention of lock her up: "Hillary has worked very hard and very hard over a very long period of time and we owe her a major debt of gratitude for her service to this country. Now it is time for America to bind the wounds of division."

Maybe he really believes (given his background in 'reality' television) that everything he's said in the past will just be forgotten now. Even if he does believe that though I suspect that many of his supporters won't be keen to go along with that and there's going to be 'interesting times' ahead ...
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    Huh. On the plus side, I doubt he'll nuke me, because first he'd have to find Africa on a map :D
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Yeah, Poles did something like that to themselves last year. Look how this turned out. Our goverment is just a laugh now. And the things they say and do are... I hope you guys won't have to endure such idiocy for couple of years. Maybe the things Trump said during campaign was just to get more votes. Maybe his advisors steer him on the right(ish) track. A lot of maybes actually.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,744
    This year, as a foreigner, I've been surprised two times.

First, Brexit, now, Trump. I really don't know how it's felt inside USA, but for me it's unexpected and strange at least. I really think this is a wrong decision. To get two strange decisions during one year in two of the most powerful countries... Maybe it shows the current world needs logocracy, not democracy.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    edited November 2016
    Now I just hope that France will not be stupid enough to shoot down Russian aircrafts in Syria just because François Hollande wants to play the tough guy before the 2017 elections.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited November 2016
    In the light of the Brexit and Trump decisions I think the forces at work here are a combination of fear and anger - largely fear of Neo-liberalism (too much change too soon) and anger at globalisation (shifting the dynamic of the job market), and the "great unwashed" are rejecting both.

What concerns me are the many comments I read which essentially are saying that the electorate are too stupid to know what they're voting for. The logical conclusion to this line of thought will be the disenfranchisement of those deemed "too stupid" to vote.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

procco said:

Global markets are already taking a nose dive. Good job, America. This is shameful.

agreed. We didn't learn anything from Brexit, Rob Ford, or Berlusconi for examples but then Americans can't see past it's own nose on most things.
    Rob Ford just had personal demons that were made very public.

He did a lot to get the city of Toronto's spending over control and was made a villain by liberal elites.
    Shandyr said:

In my eyes, populists have to win once in a while.

As long as they are not in charge they can promise just anything. And a lot of people do believe those promises. The populists have never to prove that they can actually keep the promises they make because they're not in charge.

That's why once in a while a populist must win too.

If Donald Trump had lost, people could have still argued for years that he could have and would have made everything so much better. Now we shall see.

Hey this sounds like Justin Trudeau, whose supporters are already starting to literally turn on him a year after becoming PM of Canada.

~

The Democrats now have 4 years to get the right type of Candidate in place. (if Trump doesn't start a nuclear war before then with Putin).

Trustworthy, I think, should be their top priority.
This discussion has been closed.