Skip to content

neeeeeeed more kits

I guess there are no plans for adding new kits? The current ones have become dull and the majority of them are used in nwn 1-2 making them redundant.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    What Tresset said.

But, @fish0331‌ , don't be said.

The 1.3 patch will adress the problem with kit mods installation. So, you'll be able to get new kits from mods. For those mods, check http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/15380/bg-ee-mods-and-modding-tutorials-quick-links/p1.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Since they've added a sorcerer kit and a monk kit, they could add a Barbarian Kit.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    DJKajuru said:

Since they've added a sorcerer kit and a monk kit, they could add a Barbarian Kit.

The Barbarian class is coded as a Fighter kit, so no.
  • CaloNordCaloNord Member Posts: 1,809
    I dunno, mods will provide all you need soon enough. I found with NWN2 that after my first play through I had so much choice I had a hard time settling on a character and class that I could play long term. Don't know if that's just me... :P
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    CrevsDaak said:

DJKajuru said:

The Barbarian class is coded as a Fighter kit, so no.
    So add another barbarian kit coded as a fighter kit. =P
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I usually do that because my first couple characters were garbage/I make bad gameplay choices. Its very esdy in BG to make characters a newbie cannot win with. KOTOR wasnt as bad for this, but is a cakewalk if you build a deliberately powergamey character, so in easy RPGs, I only build 1 or 2 technically garbage characters. I'll always remember my morally gray scoundrel Duelist blaster using Revan... because I had to use thermal detonators to kill Malak. *sheepish*
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    @DreadKhan - ha ha. yeah, I have spent far to many hours lately playing Dark Souls. I get so far and then decide that I don't like the makeup or balance of the character I created. Or I get my nethers handed to me by some YOB who likes griefing lower levels and decide I will try something else.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Tresset said:

Current focus is on fixing existing content and not on adding new content.

Good, that's as it should be.

And if, at some later stage, the team reverts to content creation, then yet more kits is probably not the most useful enhancement: we've already got loads of kits to try. The only class where I can see any justification for yet more variations would be to enable Clerics of two or three more gods (for which appropriate temples already exist in-game), every other class has already got ample variety.
  • fish0331fish0331 Member Posts: 197
    edited June 2014
    ^ bullshit. Most of the kits are used in nwn 1-2. Nothing new to try there...
  • SpungiSpungi Member Posts: 219
    That doesn't mean there ain't loads of kits... Just that you don't like the ones you're presented with.
    Create your own kit:)
    Dee said:

It's not just you. Any time I play an RPG (any RPG, whether it's Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age or The Old Republic) I usually spend about ten hours just going through the first hour of the game as different characters to see which one I like best.

Oh my god. Dragon age game me hell. I had to restart about 6 times to see every origin story then it's like, it's different for females... IT'S DIFFERENT FOR FEMALES! A dozen restarts later... Maybe a mage would be more fun... because I don't like the way my rouges hair sits on the side of his face. Besides, he runs funny and magic is where it's at everyone knows that.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    TJ_Hooker said:

fish0331 said:

Based on the lists of classes over at Gamebanshee, the follow kits don't apper in NWN 1&2:

Blade
    Jester
    Skald
    Priest of Helm/Lathander/Talos
    Avenger
    Totemic Druid
    Berserker
    Kensai
    Wizard Slayer
    Wild Mage
    Cavalier
    Inquisitor
    Undead Hunter
    Bounty Hunter
    Swashbuckler
    Dark Moon/Sun Soul Monk

Also, NWN plays completely different from BG. I don't see how having played a kit in NWN would really affect how interesting it would be to play the same kit in BG.
    Swashbuckler is in NWN2 (its a class)
    I dunno, I still think non-good Rangers should nab a kit. But might have to deal with mods... not that I've never used them, just not often.
    DreadKhan said:

I dunno, I still think non-good Rangers should nab a kit.

The original devs were Aragorn fanboys and therefore decreed that Rangers were always Good-aligned. I reckon that definition of "what it means to be a Ranger" probably now counts as part of the "original content", so Overhaul aren't supposed to monkey with it.

Of course a modder could develop a non-Good Ranger kit, but I doubt it'll ever be official content.
    fish0331 said:

^BS to you too. This is BG, not NWN. It's irrelevant what kits are (or in the case of half of them, actually aren't) in NWN. Not only are these different games which play differently, but also many of the old BG players and very probably most of the new-generation BG players have never played NWN 1/2. Quite likely many of the new players have never even heard of NWN, and new-generation players are bound to be the main target for Beamdog's marketing.

Hardcore long-term players are naturally a big presence here in this forum, but don't kid yourself that this forum is remotely a representative sample of the overall market. Overhaul have to spend their development resources where there's going to be some general appeal, and "people who have played so much NWN that they're bored-in-advance with any BG feature which resembles any NWN feature" is a minuscule segment of the marketplace who aren't worth taking into account in resource allocations.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    fish0331 said:

^ bullshit.

@fish0331‌ Please try to keep the foul language to a minimum. Also keep in mind that, if you disagree with someone, you need to do so respectfully.
    Umm, yes, of course you're quite right, @Dee. It's late where I am, I'm tired and mis-remembered the history. Thanks for the correction.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    No worries, @Gallowglass‌ - I just wanted to clarify that the Blackguard kit was not a precedent, in the event that people might be thinking it was.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    I played the hell out of nwn 1 and 2, and I don't think the kits (prestige classes) from there are boring at all in BG. They're different games, different stories, and based off of different rules systems.

That said, I would love some more kits. I do think BG:EE(2) already has all the most fun kits from nwn, though, and would like to see something different. I wonder if it'd possible to have multi-class kits, like the old bladesinger. Probably would get stupid overpowered, but there might be some other more balanced an interesting kits that could work.

New races could be something else that could be fun. Who hasn't wanted to play a Tiefling in BG2?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited June 2014
    laaaaammmeee
    Thieves, "paladins", fighters and even those damn sorcerers get a new kit
    Monks got two. Plus... a bear kit!
    what about us? (bards)
    Time to sing the Ballad of Infinite Sorrow :(
    Post edited by booinyoureyes on
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    edited June 2014
    I like the idea of properly enabling multi-class kits. I think it was somehow possible to mod it in vanilla BG2, but I don't remember if it worked well.
    Dee said:

DreadKhan said:

I dunno, I still think non-good Rangers should nab a kit.

The original devs were Aragorn fanboys and therefore decreed that Rangers were always Good-aligned. I reckon that definition of "what it means to be a Ranger" probably now counts as part of the "original content", so Overhaul aren't supposed to monkey with it.

Of course a modder could develop a non-Good Ranger kit, but I doubt it'll ever be official content.
    It's less the original developers and more the original rules from PnP. Rangers in AD&D could only be good-aligned, and there was no "anti-ranger" to justify bending that rule like there is for paladins.
    I dont have all the 2nd edition kit books, so I'll take your word for it.

Incidently, BG2 has kits/classes strictly inspired by 3rd edition, and BGEE does too. *whistles nonchalantly*
    I asked that in the sub-races discussion to and I'm still curious, does that push the licensing rules?
    edited June 2014

fish0331 said:

^BS to you too. This is BG, not NWN. It's irrelevant what kits are (or in the case of half of them, actually aren't) in NWN. Not only are these different games which play differently, but also many of the old BG players and very probably most of the new-generation BG players have never played NWN 1/2. Quite likely many of the new players have never even heard of NWN, and new-generation players are bound to be the main target for Beamdog's marketing.

Hardcore long-term players are naturally a big presence here in this forum, but don't kid yourself that this forum is remotely a representative sample of the overall market. Overhaul have to spend their development resources where there's going to be some general appeal, and "people who have played so much NWN that they're bored-in-advance with any BG feature which resembles any NWN feature" is a minuscule segment of the marketplace who aren't worth taking into account in resource allocations.
    Just sayin, it would have been nice to see some kits that have never been used in nwn 1-2 before considering all the resources available for this setting. Why assassin, shadowdancer, RDD, etc. again? Why not bladesinger or something never used before in either game? A shadowdancer in bg plays similar to that of a cookie-cutter shadowdancer in nwn. HIPS and melee...same flavor but different wrapper.

Post edited by fish0331 on
    edited June 2014
    Personally for me, the addition of the some of the kits was not as satisfying as it could have been. As someone that has played BG--->NWN--->NWN2--->then back to BG again a RDD, shadowdancer, etc. is not as exciting.
    Post edited by fish0331 on
    @fish0331‌ you are fully aware that BG2 is older than nwn, right?? The added in kits for EE are inspired from core 3.0 prestige classes, ie same source as nwn. You are coming off a bit wonky imo, complaining thst DnD products use the same source material. They are SUPPOSED to be similar.

I'm not sure I can understand your problem, playing BG2 is a very different experience from nwn.