Skip to content

Dungeons & Dragons Legends of Baldur's Gate

Comments

• ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    Let's hope for the best, thought the thought of Baldur's Gate becoming mainstream scares me. A lot :I
    Especially if the fandom becomes like the Dragon Age fandom *shudders*
    edited July 2014
    I am fairly certain that miniature-giant-space-hamster are the size of normal hamsters.
    Besides: Minsc is the only one who claims that Boo actually is a miniature-giant-space-hamester and as we all know, Minsc is a bit coocoo for cocopuffs. For all we know, Boo might actualy be - *le gasp* - just an ordinary hamster.
  • CatoblepasCatoblepas Member Posts: 96

Let's hope for the best, thought the thought of Baldur's Gate becoming mainstream scares me. A lot :I
    Especially if the fandom becomes like the Dragon Age fandom *shudders*

Too late, the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series are littered with BG references, it just seems that WoTC has finally caught (and cashed in) on the popularity of the series. Expect more tie-ins like Murder in Baldur's Gate, cameo's in other games, comics, more books etc. Just look what happened to the KoTOR franchise if you want a template to watch out for.

A great thing if you want a deluge of Baldur's Gate-related content. Personally I don't appreciate supplementary content telling me how I played my game like Murder in Baldur's Gate, The Old Republic, or any number of other supplementary books, comics and other material do....so I tend to look on stuff like this with a healthy bit of horror mixed in with my curiosity.
    edited July 2014
    @scriver:
    At some point, yes. Like, ten years ago or something. The Baldur's Gate fandom is practically non-existant, compared to the Dragon Age and Mass Effect fandoms. Heck, even the Neverwinter Nights fandom is bigger than the Baldur's Gate fandom.

@Catoblepas‌:
    When I am talking about mainstream, I mean "every idiot and their mom know it AND like it". You can hardly say that of Baldur's Gate, otherwise their would be a waaaay bigger output of fanworks (though there has been coming a bit more lately). Usually when I mention BG, everyone goes "Balders what?" or "I heard the name but I have no clue what that is."
    But yeah, the thing with the canon storyline not lining up with what actually happened through ones playthrough... that is a huge problem. You know, it would be cool if games like BG and KOTOR had build in statistics like The walking Dead or The Wolf among us and which ever choices where made the most become canon later on. Though, you obviously can't make everyone happy with that.
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You assume that perfectly noble Calishite merchant swindled Minsc? Tbh, we dont actually know the true nature of Boo, but his behaviour does not seem 100% standard hamster behaviour. While its quite possible Minsc is nuttier than a walnut tree, that doesnt mean he's totally wrong about Boo, who seems clearly beyond the intelligence of a hamster.

I'm aware of the size of giant space hamsters (and their intelligence)... what I dont know is the precise size (...such as it is) of *miniature* Giant Space Hamsters.

BG isnt exactly mainstream... it had stopped being mainstream and moved towards a smaller niche of mostly modders quite awhile back. BGEE is still more of a niche product, but given time, and brand marketing beyond the original games (and enough new content to attract the players who played it when in came out. Both games were pretty popular in their day, if still a bit niche market) to increase visibility/saturation, it could generate enough interest to make the IP rather valuable, ie BG3. Paraphenalia aimed a bit off from the existing core demographic is a great way to expand your demographic. Those of us already on board are already on board, so the goal isnt necessarily 'milk the fans' atm, it could be get some new players curious. Minsc deserves more cha imho, since new players usually adore his schtick, especially as he's fleshed out in BG2.

Too... much... marketing talk. :p This is pure conjecture, but a business like WotC isnt going to spend money without a business plan, and most businesd would prefer to start smaller, and grow 'gradually'. Gradually in this case would ideally be a parabolic progression.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    So where can we preorder this (online) and will we get the alternative cover?
    @Wonderboy2402‌:
    I checked the IDW online store yesterday, it's no where mentioned ...
    I guess the entire thing is still work in progress.
    And even then, I will have to hope that the local comicstore will decide to have the comic shipped in from overseas :'I (I need to go talk to them, so that they will order it when it comes out.)
    @AndrewFoley‌:
    Thank you SO MUCH for the info :'D
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664

Minsc is a bit coocoo for cocopuffs.

You stole my phrase! *gasps* Or rather, you're just the first person I've ever seen besides me to use it.

As for the comic, I don't see why we're upset. BG making a comeback in a new way? Check. The best character in the series coming back? Check. (I mean Boo, not Minsc you fools) The chance of us getting more BG related stuff in future if this sells well? Um... Hopeful check?
  • dementeddemented Member Posts: 388
    I wish Boo was the NPC and Minsc the silent pet on his shoulder.
    kcwise said:

My hope is that Minsc or Boo picked up a fragment of the Spellplague and now randomly teleport through the timelines on the whim of fate, arriving when and where they are needed, but cursed to move on once the mission is over. Kinda like Doctor Who, only its a madman with a hamster instead of a blue box.

This. All of this.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    This is amazing news... I feel like it is destiny that I became one of many Baldur's Gate fans... Although I can't help wondering how Minsc and Boo managed to avoid dying of old age... Then again, in D&D, anything is possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Sergio said:

Minsc's is a god's chosen one, but I can't remember who is the god that protects him. That's why I think he doesn't age as a common mortal.

@BladeDancer‌

The god of miniature giant space hamsters...

Really pleased it is IDW (Interactive Dream Works) doing this. They have done justice to the world of transformers and even extended that universe for the better.

I'm interested because I'm a Baldur's Gate nutcase. Do we need a better reason @Quartz‌ ?
    edited July 2014
    Yeah, IDW's comics are great, I simply adore the My little Pony comics, they even manage to outshine the cartoon in many ways.

Also, I talked to my local comic dealer today, I can subscribe to Legends of Baldur's Gate through them, even though I live in Germany! I will get each new issue a week after release, if not earlier! PRAISE OGHMA!

PS: Subscription is done! Now: Waiting till October :I
    Post edited by Buttercheese on
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Quartz said:

You know, it really sucks to be a Baldur's Gate fan whose (second) least favorite character is Minsc.

Sounds like a simple matter of acquiring some taste, knave.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Anduin said:

I'm interested because I'm a Baldur's Gate nutcase. Do we need a better reason @Quartz‌ ?

When exactly did I say it wasn't cool to be interested? I'm glad you are. Artists need more money and support. I was simply explaining why I wasn't interested because I was asked why I wasn't interested.
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    Sergio said:

Minsc's is a god's chosen one, but I can't remember who is the god that protects him. That's why I think he doesn't age as a common mortal.

@BladeDancer‌

Oh, I didn't know that, thanks.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited July 2014
    @‌Quartz hehe... I was expecting a nope and response about nutcases. Sorry for jiggling the sensitivities.

kcwise said:

My hope is that Minsc or Boo picked up a fragment of the Spellplague and now randomly teleport through the timelines on the whim of fate, arriving when and where they are needed, but cursed to move on once the mission is over. Kinda like Doctor Who, only its a madman with a hamster instead of a blue box.

Quantum leap and Minsc... oh boy...
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Anduin Lol no worries, I wasn't actually upset.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    edited July 2014
    I was deeply disappointed with what they did to the Forgotten Realms in 4E and as far as I can tell, the WotC folks seem to care for the widespread criticism of those changes. I think Greenwood, Salvatore etc. genuinely want to make FR what it used to be.
    I'm willing to give WotC the benefit of doubt. Of course they want to make money (that's what a company is there for), but *them* catering to the nostalgia of fans of the Baldur's Gate series is no more deceitful than Beamdog giving us the games back and earning money in the process.

As far as the concept "Abdel Adrian" is concerned: It shows up in a novel, therefore it is *canon*.
    However, I am fairly convinced that the current game designers use that term solely because effectively Abdel Adrian ≙ Charname - When they write Abdel Adrian today, they mean *Charname*, not the abomination from that non-existent novel. The name is like a formulaic placeholder for Protagonist-of-the-Baldur's-Gate-series.
    Yes, I agree.
    I don't know how much of a say Hasbro have in today's doing of their daughter company, but Hasbro have been shifting their marketing strategies more and more towards "give the people what they are asking for" more and more away from the "let's focus on getting new fans instead of keeping the old ones".
    So yeah, let's hope for the best!
    Though D&D4 kinda went past me, since everyone warned me about it in the first place :'D
    The only thing I know about that is the Neverwinter MMO which I didn't like for a bunch of reasons.
  • BlastbackBlastback Member Posts: 54
    I think this best describes my feelings...