Skip to content

Dungeons & Dragons Legends of Baldur's Gate

Comments

• LordRumfishLordRumfish Member Posts: 937
    Wiggles said:

A preview of Issue 1 is now online!
    Read it here!

I had a non-color 'pamphlet' of this same scene given to me at GenCon this year from WotC. Looks alright, as long as it's not expensive and some reviews are decent I'll take a look. I mean, it can't possibly be worse than the 'books'...
    Let us never speak of any supposed "books" on the subject again.
  • LisaralinLisaralin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 258
    Am I the only one who's a bit disappointed that Minsc seems to be the only character from the game to appear in the comics?
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Yes. It was pretty clear from the beginning that was going to be the case, I think. Well, "clear" is a bit too much, I guess, but you could tell from the marketing. But I guess there might still be smaller cameos as they go along. Hoe many issues are they going for anyway?
    @Lisaralin I agree. I mean, I like Minsc, but I'd like to see Xan or Coran again, or even some smaller cameos along the way. There are plenty of elves, half-elves and dwarves that may still be alive, or some others with a bit of clever writing (think of spells like Sequester that create temporal stasis, for example; yes, I'm saying I want Xzar frozen in carbonite, or resurrected a hundred years after his death). Either way, I'm going to take a leap of faith and try it.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Maybe Xzar found a scroll of Stasis Clone? ;)

But seriously @Lisaralin‌ Minsc (and Boo, but as Irenicus found out the very, very hard way one does not simply seperate Minsc from Boo!) is the charismatic megafauna of the Baldur's Gate IP, so he's the natural choice.
  • LisaralinLisaralin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 258
    Yes, I like Minsc, I like him very much, and I agree he's the natural choice. But... why do they have to choose only one character from the game? I would like to see as many of thems as possible :)
    I had to hand you an insightful for that one, sir. Well done.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    @LordRumfish‌:
    As far as I know, all Greycloaks died in 1372 DR. Given that the story probably takes place post 1484 DR, Xan wouldn't be around anymore. And I hardly doubt they will use timetravel for him as well.

Realistically speaking, the cameo with the highest possibility would be Coran, given that he is also featured in Murder in Baldur's Gate.

Also, I got an idea for how exactly Minsc got there:
    The elven girl mentiones in the preview, that her brother was captured. Since she is some sort of spellcaster (my guess would be sorceress or wild mage), she probably used her magic to bring Minsc to the future to help her in her rescue her brother. I am going to assume, that the girl is still rather young, even for an elf, so she probably grew up with stories about Minsc's heroic escapades.

History probably portrayed him far more sane than he actually was and he became the girl's and maybe her brother's idol. She manages to summon Minsc and Boo and the adventure sets off.
    @Buttercheese Well, two points here: first, I like Xan so he should be around, dangit. Second, you're thinking like a historian and not a writer. If comics prove anything, it's that exceptions always exist. Bring in a world that allows for magic, and you've got a recipe for characters being resurrected hundreds of years later, or (for instance) Xan's soul being retrieved at the moment of the moonblade's destruction. Trust me, a completely canon reason can be invented, and sadly, many extreme stretches that ignore the canon are completely possible depending on who is writing the story.

That doesn't mean it will happen, or even that it is a good idea. I'm just saying, as soon as you throw out a phrase like "all of X were killed" a comic author (or TV show writer, or screenplay writer, or...) will bring in the last one of their kind from a forgotten time using some reasoning which ranges from brilliant to sketchy. Anyway... I'm done playing devil's advocate now. We have room to include new characters and move away from the originals.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Personally I think bringing back too many characters would have risked making the comic very tacky and cheapened the whole premise. Not that I don't know that the comic isn't tacky and cheap anyway, I haven't read it, but they need to stretch things enough to move Minsc there.
    Here is some lineart of issue 1 by Max Dunbar:
    Also, according to the image's description, the release date is October 15th.
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    edited October 2014
    Descendant of Neera. Calling it. I knew that hair colour was there for a reason.
    I wonder who the (grand)father is o.o
    My shipping senses are tingling!

Also, does that mean the EE characters are canon now???

I highly request that the novels get properly rewritten, it would be really nice to know what is and what isn't now :I
  • ElrandirElrandir Member Posts: 1,664
    I'm pretty sure everyone wants to just forget about the novels. Even the people who made them.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,736
    edited October 2014
    Niiiiice ~
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I wonder if there is any relation between Neera and Delina - either from a creative viewpoint or from an in-character perspective.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Calmar said:

I wonder if there is any relation between Neera and Delina - either from a creative viewpoint or from an in-character perspective.

Interesting thought, maybe some decendents show up? Not unreasonable way to blend in some old characters. Like Jan's mute daughter
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,736
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    The comic series released the first issue, starring Minsc and Boo and Neera Delina

I love how it references the EE's in a funny way. Before the release people like myself and @Buttercheese‌ were wondering if the white-haired elven mage was Neera or not. I mean... she not only has white hair but is actually a wild mage as well. Apparently she is a different character, according to the following two pages

Overall, the comic was decent enough entertainment, but certainly didn't blow me away. The first issue was basically Neera running away from gargoyles (not the cartoon from the 90s) while Minsc (and Boo) came to the rescue. I'm not sure yet how well the writer caught Minsc's "voice", but it was believable enough. The art, however, was pretty decent. I will say, Boo did look rather cute and is clearly the star of the show (plus eye-candy).

Anyone else check this out yet, or plan on doing so?
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    So it's worth $3.99 USD according to http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=24182

For those that do have it, is it worth it?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    @Wiggles‌ wait until three or four issues come out and I'll get back to you. It is hard to tell how it will be from one issue.
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744
    Wiggles said:

So it's worth $3.99 USD

Just an FYI: while many comics published by the "Big Two" (Marvel and DC Comics) plus one (Image) sell for $2.99 an issue, the $3.99 per issue price tag is pretty much standard for smaller companies, of which LoBG's publisher, IDW, is one. IDW single issues are $3.99 across the board.

From the audience side, whether this or any book is worth it or not is entirely in the eye (and pocketbook) of the beholder. I enjoyed the first issue (got to read a copy for free), but for a variety of personal reasons, I prefer collected editions, so I'll probably wait until there's a trade paperback version and pick that up. I buy nearly all my comics that way, much to the chagrin of several creator friends in the industry. Why to their chagrin, you ask? Read on...

*IF* you like the idea of there being further Baldur's Gate and especially Minsc-related comics, you really need to pick up the individual issues as they are released (ideally you'll have asked your local comic shop to reserve you a copy--that way you aren't taking one off the shelf that someone else might buy). Due to the way the comics industry works, sales numbers for collected editions are rarely factored in to publisher calculations when it comes to keeping a title going past the initial storyline. If the fans aren't there picking up the first five issues, there simply will not be a #6-10. It's a ****ed up situation, but that's the way it tends to work, or not work, as the case may be. Long-term thinking isn't a comics industry habit at the best of times, and these are far from the best of times for the North American comic market.

PS: Please do not buy any comic intending for it to be an "investment". Odds are its monetary value will never increase beyond the cover price and the speculator mentality is one that does long-term damage to the comics industry. The only good reasons to buy a comic are because you think you'll like it or you want to support the people behind it.
  • WigglesWiggles Member Posts: 571
    edited October 2014

Just an FYI: while many comics published by the "Big Two" (Marvel and DC Comics) plus one (Image) sell for $2.99 an issue, the $3.99 per issue price tag is pretty much standard for smaller companies, of which LoBG's publisher, IDW, is one. IDW single issues are $3.99 across the board.

I did not know this. I've never bought a comic book since I've had the pleasure of reading the ones my Dad collected. I just looked up the price cause I was curious. (I take that back, I did buy my Dad the Kingdom Come graphic novel for Christmas years ago)

Due to the way the comics industry works, sales numbers for collected editions are rarely factored in to publisher calculations when it comes to keeping a title going past the initial storyline. If the fans aren't there picking up the first five issues, there simply will not be a #6-10. It's a ****ed up situation, but that's the way it tends to work, or not work, as the case may be. Long-term thinking isn't a comics industry habit at the best of times, and these are far from the best of times for the North American comic market.

This is a terrible business strategy. I understand that you should "get out while the getting is good", but why such a small number of issues? That could be why the comic book business is struggling. Thanks for the info.