Skip to content

The more I play this, the more I feel like giving up.

1234568»

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    You might find some of the monsters in ToB to be a bit gimicky. Not that they aren't tough, just that they tend to require something a bit more than brut(al) strength to take out.

What level is your group going into Watcher's keep?
  • InvictusCobraInvictusCobra Member Posts: 108

What level is your group going into Watcher's keep?

My Cavalier and Keldorn are both at level 20, Minsc is at 21, Jaheira is at 15 with Fighter and 14 Druid, Imoen is level 17 and Aerie is at Cleric level 16 and Mage level 14.
  • nosecretnosecret Member Posts: 92

I still have to play ToB, but I think each BG has it's own qualities and flaws, and both are equally good.

With the exception of WK, Cespenar, and the Solar, I apologize in advance.

So I read this out of curiosity:

And now I'm at that Final Seal fight with all those OP monsters. Not funny D: . At this rate, if Demogorgon is more of a pain than this fight I might just say f**k it and return just before the point of no return.... At least I've gotten some sweet loot and XP from this so far.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    That final seal fight is notoriously difficult. I find it tougher; as in much, much tougher than the Demagorgon fight.
    atcDave said:

That final seal fight is notoriously difficult. I find it tougher; as in much, much tougher than the Demagorgon fight.

Demogorgon challenge really comes from the player - if you let it. If you let yourself get distracted, it's really tough. With the right defensive buffs and some focus on what's important, it can be so easy it feels anti-climatic.
    edited August 2014
    Ok, this one is down. Now all that's left is the two others (apparently, I did the hardest one first, good to know that :p). All it took was the 6 Dispels Keldorn had at his disposal, some spells and potions and the desperate wailing of swords to the death.
    And Imoen as bait and a diversion for that Archer.
    Quick question: What's more advisable to kill first: Sendai or Abazigal?
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2014
    Well the hunt for Sendai is tougher at the end and the hunt for Abazigal is tougher at the beginning. Pick your poison...

I enjoyed both but I think I liked the Sendai quest just a wee bit more. There's a hilarious visit from an old BG2 pal that is one of my favorite TOB moments.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Of course Abazigal's lair has the young adventurer sub-contractor encounter; to me, that's the biggest laugh of the entire series.

But really its a coin toss as to which to do first. I think most people find Abazigal tougher, especially at the start as Balrog99 indicated, but depending on your exact party, equipment and tactics, you could feel very differently!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Epic. So how was the saga, @InvictusCobra‌?
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    That's AWESOME. Glad you made it all the way through. Wow, what a ride this thread has had. And to come to this? Just awesome.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    Congratulations InvictusCobra. Very happy that you showed perseverance, and that the community came to your aid.

Overall, I liked it. Did not love the franchise to death, but will not say it's bad. It's a very good one and one that is advised to all RPG players. It had nice pacing, BG1 introduces the story and mechanics, 2 gives you the gear and the power to fight and ToB is basically a boss rush where you can show off all you have learned and earned throughout your journey. ToB could be a bit more fleshed out in terms of the story, as I did not actually feel that the world was being slaughtered while I was taking a nap before a fight XD.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

It is over. The deed is done. The world has been saved and my choice made. What was it you ask?
    Well, I chose to remain as no more than the next man. Immortality might be the desire and goal of some, but my travels made me see that such was not my purpose. Having gained much and never forgetting that which was lost, I chose to stay besides my companions and the two lives I swore to protect more than anything in this Earth. And even if my body should wain and my spirit disappear, I shall remain immortal through the best way: in the hearts of the people and those I hold dear.

WHY DID KELDORN HAVE TO DIE??? D: ;-;
    Your choice was mine for the first completion of ToB - just seemed right, given how charname got into this in the first place.

...ToB is basically a boss rush where you can show off all you have learned and earned throughout your journey. ToB could be a bit more fleshed out in terms of the story, as I did not actually feel that the world was being slaughtered while I was taking a nap before a fight XD.

That was my feel for it as well - hence my apology when you said you'd just started it.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Bahaha welcome to the club! May your well of playthroughs never run dry. I'm always glad to see another person experience the unique joy that is the BG saga.
  • MeanbunnyMeanbunny Member Posts: 107
    edited August 2014
    After reading this thread, I am starting to doubt that it was actually BG1 that OP was loathing. I may be totally off the mark on this one, but I am just going out on a limb here. I think you either were not in a good place in your life at the time, possibly frustrated with something you were dealing with IRL, or something non gaming related.

Why do I say this? Because I have been there. I have been at the point in my life where I was just unhappy and miserable and I was so bitter at the time that I wouldn't want to have fun or enjoy anything. I basically took my feelings out on my surroundings which wasn't fair to the people around me, friends, family etc., much less any games I might of been playing at the time that probably would of been totally different experiences had I been in a better state of mind.

Needless to say, I am glad that you ended up getting something out of the series. I really didn't have much hope for you early on while reading the thread, but seeing that you actually played the game to completion is an achievement. I am glad you gave it a chance.

I have one bit of advice to anyone out there who is playing a game they think they should be enjoying, but for some reason no matter what they do, they are not having fun.

Walk away! Come back later!

Never force yourself into something that you are not enjoying. You may not even realize it at the time, but putting the game away and coming back and trying it again at a later date could make all the difference in the world. It is kind of like that song on the radio you don't like at first, but then it grows on you, or another example is back in the day on one of my first MMORPG's, I would have some races and classes that I just did not like and thought were not fun. Years later they ended up being my favorite race/class combinations for no apparent reason what so ever. I really can't explain it, but it works for me.

Anyway, that is all I have to say. Once again, if I am wrong then don't take this personal. This honestly is just me sharing a life experience I have had in the past and possible reasons for not enjoying something in the beginning.

Grats on completing the game. I hope each playthrough from here on out just gets better and better!