Skip to content

[MOD] -Scales of Balance- a post-hac tweak mod

Comments

• MercilecMercilec Member Posts: 55
    when u say the game starts, right the moment i take control of my pregenerated chars?....
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MercilecMercilec Member Posts: 55
    edited August 2018
    @ThacoBell
    I really apologise. You are 100% right, i should have read the README more carefully.

@subtledoctor
    OK, all good.
    Its not a bug. Its just as @ThacoBell mentioned. Kensai in M&G indeed starts with those 3 weapon prof and it doesnt matter what u choose!!
    Anyway, i read your README, you mention it there.
    Apologies.
  • KrampusKlausKrampusKlaus Member Posts: 2
    First time playing Baldur's Gate, went head first into adding mods.

I was excited about using the Stat Bonus Overhaul, but I've noticed that it does not seem to be applying the intelligence based bonus spells to multiclassed mages, only to pure mages. I saw that one user on this forum experienced that it was just NPC casters getting the bonus, but not PCs, but that is not the case for me. It was suggested that the bonus spells should kick in after leveling up, I did not experience this. I also confirmed that this is only for mages, clerics (PC, NPC, pure or multi) get bonus spells just fine. Tested as follows:

PC Mage/Cleric: does not receive bonus mage spells for high INT. Leveling up does not change this, nor does resetting xp to 0 and adding it back "level up". She does receives bonus cleric spells for high WIS.

NPC pure Mage Neera: gets bonus mage spells for high INT.

NPC multiclass Khalid (I modded him from pure fighter using EE Keeper): No bonus spells. Leveling up doesn't fix this.

PC pure Mage: gets bonus mage spells on char creation.

Did you intend this to only work for single class mages? If not, which files control who gets the bonus? Is it one of the .2da files or something that one would need more than a txt editor to tinker with?

Do you know what other mod components might conflict with this? I also have installed components from:
    - Spell Revisions v4
    - BG1 NPC Project
    - BG1 Unfinished Business
    - More Style for Mages
    - Song and Silence (omitted the new bard spell progression)
    - Tome and Blood (ability score bonuses added...whoops, maybe it's this?)
    - Might and Guile
    - SCS
    - Pathfinder hit dice
    - 3.5 con bonus
    - 3.5 thac0
    - CD Tweaks

Thank you for your dedication to this mod, I'm really thankful for this active and vibrant modding community.
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    edited August 2018
    The 3.5 con bonus and 3.5 thac0 may conflict since "Scales of Balance" will directly affect attributes. The nice thing is that SoB is modular in that you may pick and choose what you wish installed.
    Post edited by UOLegacy on
    Okay. Thanks for the correction. Looking back, I can see that now.
  • ReddbaneReddbane Member Posts: 222
    edited August 2018
    @subtledoctor
    After being away for awhile I decided to return to one of my earlier ideas: adding bonus spells (for Wizards only) based upon their Intelligence stat, based upon 3rd edition rules. I remember you said you were able to achieve this with your SoB in a roundabout way by a script. I wonder If I could dismember some of your work to create a similar effect? I just thought you could tell which files in SoB are used (script and otherwise) to create your "Bonus spells for Intelligence" effect, so I could begin examining and tinkering with them myself.

Thanks for your time.
    Post edited by Reddbane on
    Reddbane said:

@subtledoctor
    After being away for awhile I decided to return to one of my earlier ideas: adding bonus spells (for Wizards only) based upon their Intelligence stat, based upon 3rd edition rules. I remember you said you were able to achieve this with your SoA in a roundabout way by a script. I wonder If I could dismember some of your work to create a similar effect? I just thought you could tell which files in SOA are used (script and otherwise) to create your "Bonus spells for Intelligence" effect, so I could begin examining and tinkering with them myself.

Thanks for your time.

A great idea. Intellectually exclusive spells certainly inspire mages to increase their INT. I wonder, would these spells be temporarily available with a potion such as a "Potion of Mind Focusing or Genius"?
  • KrampusKlausKrampusKlaus Member Posts: 2

Actually the Stat Bonuses component does not touch CON - hit dice and CON bonuses have their own component. So you can use the SBO with another CON mod.

The 3.5 thac0 mod, I don't know what that is so I can't say for sure.

Thanks for the responses all,

I reinstalled and omitted the thac0 mod, just manually edited the thac0 tables

But I've noticed that I don't think that any of the stat bonuses are working properly, well at least not those included in any of the .2da files.

For example, dex bonus to melee attacks not working, and I don't think that the wisdom bonus to xp growth is working either

So I think it might be something with the script on my end? What files control the new stat bonuses you implemented?

Thanks!
    edited August 2018

Actually the Stat Bonuses component does not touch CON - hit dice and CON bonuses have their own component. So you can use the SBO with another CON mod.

For example, dex bonus to melee attacks not working, and I don't think that the wisdom bonus to xp growth is working either

So I think it might be something with the script on my end? What files control the new stat bonuses you implemented?

Thanks!

In SoB, I do know that you need to keep your DEX at 16+ in order to utilize the THAC0 bonus. Higher DEX should yield a few more negations toward zero.

Also, since SoB subtracts dexterity from heavier armors, a warrior wearing say splint mail with a -4 DEX penalty would lose (at least) one towards their THAC0 depending on their original dexterity.
    UOLegacy said:

Reddbane said:

@subtledoctor
    After being away for awhile I decided to return to one of my earlier ideas: adding bonus spells (for Wizards only) based upon their Intelligence stat, based upon 3rd edition rules. I remember you said you were able to achieve this with your SoA in a roundabout way by a script. I wonder If I could dismember some of your work to create a similar effect? I just thought you could tell which files in SOA are used (script and otherwise) to create your "Bonus spells for Intelligence" effect, so I could begin examining and tinkering with them myself.

Thanks for your time.

A great idea. Intellectually exclusive spells certainly inspire mages to increase their INT. I wonder, would these spells be temporarily available with a potion such as a "Potion of Mind Focusing or Genius"?
    (SOA, is a typo, I meant Scales of Balance, SOB.)

I don't know, it all really depends on what SOB's original method was capable of; he is, as far as I know, the only one who was able to add bonus spells for intelligence--I just wanted to examining the file she used to do it, but I don't know which one's they are.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited August 2018
    @subtledoctor
    Could You still point me to the relevant files in Scales of Balance, I should like to see them myself?
    Given the projected difficulty of "Intelligence Checks", another idea has come to me. It is not ideal, but it would probably be better than nothing, at least for my mod. That is to say, leaving the work of the "intelligence check" to the player: a kind of honor system. What I have in mind is an innate ability (likely with 1 use per day) to be granted to all wizards, which, when used, opens up a dialogue screen that asks the player what their current base intelligence is, then said choice gives them their extra spells slots through the proper opcode effects (in the manner that items grant such bonuses). Moreover, each time the you use the "Ability" all previous effects granted by any of the choices are removed, to prevent multiple uses from stacking, and to allow for possible permanent Ability Score boosts.

I know a player could technically "cheat" with this system, but anyone downloading the mod in the first place obviously wanted more immersion--so that cheats would be beside the point.

With that said then I might also be able to use the same system similar bonus spells to Shaman, Bards, and Sorcerers, only by asking the player what their Charisma is.
    edited August 2018
  • SteelReserveSteelReserve Member Posts: 10
    @subtledoctor - Is Aesthetics and Enchantment Tweaks fully compatible with Item Revisions?
    edited August 2018
  • SteelReserveSteelReserve Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2018
    Awesome! Thanks for the response! Finally got the perfect setup! SoB really smooths out a huge chunk of the things I didn't like about BG like wonky stat bonuses. Also thanks for the extensive readmes for all of your mods. It helped me weed out anything that might conflict with the rad stuff your mods do (and consequently make a much better thought out mod install order).

Is there anywhere to follow your work on the whole so I don't miss any updates or new content?
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    Is component 160 compatible with the Spell Revisions mod?
  • JobertoJoberto Member Posts: 1
    Love this mod. Find it hard to play BGEE without it.

One thing I noticed: Functional weapon tweaks changing dagger damage also changes Longtooth (originally 1d6+2) and Xan's Moonblade (1d8+3) to 1d5+x damage. I just use Nearinfinity to change it back, but was this intentional?
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Do stat bonus overhaul apply also on npcs?
    edited August 2018
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    Question: What is the current status on light/medium/heavy weapons distinction, when regarding dual-wielding ?

According to SoB readme, only daggers count as light. But according to in game description of dual-wielding, short swords and ninja-to also count as light.

Also for some inexplicable reason, all bastard swords on our IWD install were given long sword proficiency, instead of two-handed proficiency.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @subtledoctor I thought short swords and maybe one other weapon counted as small as well?
    edited August 2018
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    I do use tweaks anthology, but not this particular component.

I agree with that concept, it was just confusing to my friend if he should believe the readme, or the ingame description. I do understand that constant in game text editing is pita ;-).
  • SerphentasSerphentas Member Posts: 2
    @subtledoctor I have questions here. :)

I have long been an user for the SOB mod since most of the tweaks are just awesome. (especially MRO!)

Right now, I'm preparing another playthrough with DnD 3.5 rule change mod.

Understanding that most of the tweaks are going to have conflicts, MRO tweak is still something I don't

want to give up.

I have come up with some ideas to make MRO work.

1. Disable the portion to overhaul wizard slayer and monk magic resistance

2. Manually (through DLTCEP) add save bonus

However, some questions still remain.

As dnd 3.5 mod make some changes to the spells, will the "changing spells to bypass MR" portion still

work as intended?

I'm assuming all monks NPCs will still have their MR set to zero with "changing creatures with MR" portion?

Are there any other possible conflicts with MRO installed?

Thanks!!