Skip to content

[MOD] -Scales of Balance- a post-hac tweak mod

Comments

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

- YARAS is rebalanced. I found out that the SCS tolerance for DR and enemy targeting is not nearly as tight as I thought, so happily, I can now give higher DR for better armors, which should create better balance in armor choice

Heheh.

Actually, my real end goal for armor is to start with Scales of Balance to add the extra cast time while wearing armor, THEN throw in my modded FP&PS for all the fiddling with armor stats, with greatly decreased chance for arcane spell failure compared to other mods that implement it. It looks like I modded FP&PS to have half its original spell failure chance (highest is 20% for Splint/Plate Mail).

The rationale is that spell failure isn't QUITE as likely, but it'll take longer to do the gestures right.
  • Hi @subtledoctor ,
    first of all, I love your mod - I especially like your approach with the weapon profiency overhaul. However, I have a question: is it intended that fighters do not receive extra APR upon reaching level 7? My main char is a trueclass fighter, with 3 pips in maces, and when he got to lvl7 he still had 2 APR...Same with Khalid for axes. As far as the documentation says, it should be 2,5 APR (1 base + 1 from 3 pips + 0,5 from 7th level fighter). I checked the wspatck.2da file in my override folder, and it shows the same values for each row, regardless of level, which is - I think - not the usual behavior (attached you can find my wspatck.2da file renamed to .zip, as the forum does not allow 2da files; and also my Weidu log)
    Also, is there an easy way to fix the bug mentioned by Sizz, that "bastards swords do not count as of the "Greatsword" category but as "Longswords" "?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • FuryoftheStarsFuryoftheStars Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2018

Also, is there an easy way to fix the bug mentioned by Sizz, that "bastards swords do not count as of the "Greatsword" category but as "Longswords" "?

Not sure about this. Under some circumstances bastard swords are meant to be lumped in with long swords.
    This was something else I had noticed and was going to ask about. Can you expand on what "some circumstances" are?

I was also curious about the decision to make it so sorcerers, mages, etc do not receive any additional proficiency points beyond what they get at start. What was the reasoning behind this? Especially with the Tome and Blood mod that adds the Magus kit (which comes across to me as an attempt to make a fighter/sorcerer, but that may not have been your intent), this kind of gimps that kit, imo.
  • marcusaureliusmarcusaurelius Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2018
    Anyone knows if there is a fix for the shaman character creation bug? I cannot create a shaman character in Icewind Dale EE, I get to the weapon proficiency section and I cannot distribuite any point into any weapon, I can bypass this section but still I cannot create a character even if I bypass it, the button is greyed out.
    Scales of Balance is the only mod I have installed by the way.
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry it's taken me so long to reply back.

This was something else I had noticed and was going to ask about. Can you expand on what "some circumstances" are?

Honestly don't fully remember. The idea is to lump things together; bastard swords are more or less identical to long swords in the game (one-handed, kind of slow, up to 8 base damage, and they use the exact same animation) so why do they call for a different proficiency? So I may have just decided to make them fully identical. I think?

Certainly if you install CDTweaks "2-handed bastard swords" then this component should allow you to use them either way: as long swords if you wield them in one hand, and as 2-handed swords if you wield them in two hands.

Ok. I just know that all of the current documentation and descriptions that I can see all mention that the Bastard Sword is lumped into the Greatsword proficiency. If it really is Longsword, then it'd be nice to have these updated. It's not that I think it necessarily should be one or the other, it's just knowing which it is so I can plan and play accordingly.

That said, I can comment that, based on my understanding of things, the Bastard sword is double-edged, whereas the longsword isn't. This could be the reasoning behind the different proficiencies.

And yeah, I did see that feature of CDTweaks and actually have it installed, too.

Well, I can't account for every mod kit out there, especially ones like the Magus that doesn't quite know what it is trying to be. It is silly, lore-wise, to think that a full-time wizard is going to advance their weapon skills. And realistically they have such limited weapon choice that it doesn't really matter. So why even bother with the pretense? "This class does not bother with weapon skill, it can do frackin' magic to murder peeps." (Does this somewhat gimp the Fighter->Mage dual-class? Yes... and that is very much intended.)

Btw Tome & Blood has an actual fighter/sorcerer now, if that's what you want to play. Of course it can't cast in armor... so I guess that's the trade-off:
    - Magus = can tank in plate mail but not great with weapons
    - fighter/sorcerer = great at fighting but uses robes and magical defenses

(EDIT - now that I think about it, we should probably just make the Magus a fighter/sorcerer kit...)

More realistically, I'm not against making some allowances for the Magus. But it requires particular compatibility code (some of which is already there, for instance in YARAS) and I don't have a ton of free time for that. It sounds like the Magus may change soon anyway, so I'll probably wait 'til the next shake-up of TnB before I commit myself to spending time on it.

No, I don't expect you to account for all the mod kits out there. I was merely asking about the ones you're involved in.

Yes, the fighter/sorcerer is the kind of gameplay I was looking for. The armor bit doesn't bother me. I'm playing through as a fighter/mage right now and not wearing any armor. Is this multiclass in an unreleased version or just named something different that I'm not realizing? I don't see it as an option in the currently installed 0.8.28 of Tome and Blood.

And yeah, I don't expect a multiclass like fighter / mage or a kit that's supposed to simulate something like this to be as good as having both at full power. I expect that the class/kit will represent the character having to split their attention between the two, whether this is represented by decreased access to skills and abilities, much higher XP requirements making progression harder/slower, or some combination there of. Ideally I'd love to see something where you could actually pick and choose where the character focuses, but I realize that this probably isn't possible in this game engine.
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    The multiclass sorcerers get installed will the the spell select dialogue option

The multiclass sorcerers get installed will the the spell select dialogue option

Can that be separated out? I don't like the spell selection dialog.
    edited November 2018
    Oh, ok. Makes sense to keep those together, then. Thanks.

EDIT: @subtledoctor, I'm still not seeing the fighter/sorcerer option anywhere. I even tried doing a complete uninstall of all mods (and had Steam verify all the files), then installed only Tome and Blood with all packages, including the spell select dialog.
    Post edited by FuryoftheStars on
  • Not sure about this. Under some circumstances bastard swords are meant to be lumped in with long swords.

I see. And if I wanted to do have bastard swords and 2-handed swords together, how could I do that? (I really liked the concept written in the readme). If I understand it right, this cannot be done simply by editing some 2da files, but I would need to update all the *.itm files...

I checked your code for 121_WPO_categories.tpa, and I realized I know nothing about BG modding...but I tried to gather some info together from here and there. I found the part which merges the long swords and bastard swords, and I had the thought maybe it could be modified...

Based on WEAPROF.2DA:
    BASTARDSWORD = 89
    LONGSWORD = 90
    TWOHANDEDSWORD = 93

My simple assumptions: in the code, I only would need to replace the 90 values with 93...like this:
    //MERGE BASTARD SWORDS > 2-HAND SWORDS______________________________________________ // COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm~ ~override~ PATCH_IF (SOURCE_SIZE > 0x71) BEGIN READ_BYTE 0x31 prof READ_BYTE 0x18 handed READ_BYTE 0x1b spell_weapon PATCH_IF prof = 89 BEGIN PATCH_IF ((~%spell_weapon%~ BOR ~0b11111110~) = ~0b11111110~) BEGIN // if undispellable flag not set PATCH_IF ((~%handed%~ BOR ~0b11111101~) = ~0b11111101~) BEGIN // if 2-handed flag not set WRITE_BYTE 0x31 93 /* PATCH_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~d5_fnp_usability.d5~ BEGIN WRITE_SHORT 0x1c 20 END */ END PATCH_IF ((~%handed%~ BOR ~0b11111101~) = ~0b11111111~) BEGIN // if 2-handed flag IS set WRITE_BYTE 0x31 93 /* PATCH_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~d5_fnp_usability.d5~ BEGIN WRITE_SHORT 0x1c 57 END */ END END END END BUT_ONLY COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~^.+\.cre$~ ~override~ LPF CLONE_EFFECT INT_VAR silent = 1 multi_match = 1 match_opcode = 233 match_parameter2 = 89 parameter2 = 93 END LPF ALTER_EFFECT INT_VAR silent = 1 match_opcode = 233 match_parameter2 = 89 parameter2 = 93 END BUT_ONLY COPY_EXISTING ~weapprof.2da~ ~override~ COUNT_2DA_COLS cols FOR (col = 4; col < cols; col += 1) BEGIN READ_2DA_ENTRY 12 col cols twohanded READ_2DA_ENTRY 8 col cols bastard PATCH_IF (%bastard% > %twohanded%) BEGIN SET_2DA_ENTRY 12 col cols %bastard% END SET_2DA_ENTRY 8 col cols ~0~ END //__________________________________________________________________________________

Is my assupmtion correct? Still, if I would modify it, how do I run this code? Would it conflict because the bastard swords are already merged to longswords? Is there a way to revert if I find out that I screwed up?
    marcusaurelius
    edited November 2018

That said, I can comment that, based on my understanding of things, the Bastard sword is double-edged, whereas the longsword isn't. This could be the reasoning behind the different proficiencies.

And yeah, I did see that feature of CDTweaks and actually have it installed, too.

Eh, my recollection from 2E PnP is that a "long sword" is a 36" double-edged blade, while a "bastard sword" is a ~42" double-edged blade. A ~36" single-edged blade would be something like a falchion or a broadsword or a sabre. Of course these are all utterly fictional representations of weapons, RL weapons had quite different dimensions, names, and uses.
    Oh, ok. I was just going by the in-game descriptions. I was assuming that based on them making the point to say the Bastard sword was double edged whereas they said nothing of the sort in long swords that they were merely treating long swords as single.

Anyway that's your issue right there: you have CDTweaks "2-handed bastard swords installed. That component lets you change bastard swords into 1-handed or 2-handed weapons. SoB detects that mod and simply sets the proficiency to match how you are using the weapon: longsword proficiency if you are using it like a long sword, and greatsword proficiency if you are using it like a 2-handed sword. This maeks bastard swords uniquely versatile, in that you can have one character specced for long swords and one character specced for greatswords, and either one of them can use e.g. Foebane, depending on which would be more advantageous.

So in other words, simply use the item ability to change the bastard sword to 2-handed use, and voila! it will be using the greatsword proficiency.

Ahh, ok! That makes sense. :) Didn't realize you had something in there to detect the presence of that specific modification. :P

As for my edit for still not being able to find the Fighter/ Sorcerer in TnB, should I move over to that thread and post that there?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just now found it. It's a kit of fighter / mage. Didn't realize that. :P
  • marcusaureliusmarcusaurelius Member Posts: 2

Anyone knows if there is a fix for the shaman character creation bug? I cannot create a shaman character in Icewind Dale EE,

What?? Thought I squashed that bug. Leftover cruft from when IWDEE did not contain the Shaman class. I'll take a look, should be a very easy fix. In the meantime, open PROFS.2da and PROSFMAX.2da in a text editor, copy and paste a duplicate of the last row, and change the first word from MONK to SHAMAN in the new row.
    PROFS.2da

2DA V1.0
    FIRST_LEVEL RATE
    MAGE 3 50
    FIGHTER 5 3
    CLERIC 5 5
    THIEF 5 4
    BARD 5 4
    PALADIN 5 3
    DRUID 5 5
    RANGER 5 3
    FIGHTER_MAGE 5 3
    FIGHTER_CLERIC 5 3
    FIGHTER_THIEF 5 3
    FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF 5 3
    MAGE_THIEF 5 4
    CLERIC_MAGE 5 5
    CLERIC_THIEF 5 4
    FIGHTER_DRUID 5 3
    FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC 5 3
    CLERIC_RANGER 5 3
    SORCERER 3 50
    MONK 3 4
    SHAMAN 3 5

PROFSMAX.2DA:

2DA V1.0
    FIRST_LEVEL OTHER_LEVELS 3 6 9
    MAGE 1 1 2 3 4
    FIGHTER 1 4 2 3 4
    CLERIC 1 3 2 3 4
    THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    BARD 1 3 2 3 4
    PALADIN 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_MAGE 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_CLERIC 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    DRUID 1 3 2 3 4
    RANGER 1 3 2 3 4
    MAGE_THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    CLERIC_MAGE 1 3 2 3 4
    CLERIC_THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_DRUID 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC 1 3 2 3 4
    CLERIC_RANGER 1 3 2 3 4
    SORCERER 1 1 2 3 4
    MONK 1 3 2 3 4
    SHAMAN 1 3 2 3 4

I'm not sure what you mean with change monk to shaman, should I invert the two? I should put the Monk last in place of the shaman and viceversa? and then save and exit? that would fix the bug?
  • erianneerianne Member Posts: 13

Anyone knows if there is a fix for the shaman character creation bug? I cannot create a shaman character in Icewind Dale EE,

What?? Thought I squashed that bug. Leftover cruft from when IWDEE did not contain the Shaman class. I'll take a look, should be a very easy fix. In the meantime, open PROFS.2da and PROSFMAX.2da in a text editor, copy and paste a duplicate of the last row, and change the first word from MONK to SHAMAN in the new row.
    PROFS.2da

2DA V1.0
    FIRST_LEVEL RATE
    MAGE 3 50
    FIGHTER 5 3
    CLERIC 5 5
    THIEF 5 4
    BARD 5 4
    PALADIN 5 3
    DRUID 5 5
    RANGER 5 3
    FIGHTER_MAGE 5 3
    FIGHTER_CLERIC 5 3
    FIGHTER_THIEF 5 3
    FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF 5 3
    MAGE_THIEF 5 4
    CLERIC_MAGE 5 5
    CLERIC_THIEF 5 4
    FIGHTER_DRUID 5 3
    FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC 5 3
    CLERIC_RANGER 5 3
    SORCERER 3 50
    MONK 3 4
    SHAMAN 3 5

PROFSMAX.2DA:

2DA V1.0
    FIRST_LEVEL OTHER_LEVELS 3 6 9
    MAGE 1 1 2 3 4
    FIGHTER 1 4 2 3 4
    CLERIC 1 3 2 3 4
    THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    BARD 1 3 2 3 4
    PALADIN 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_MAGE 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_CLERIC 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    DRUID 1 3 2 3 4
    RANGER 1 3 2 3 4
    MAGE_THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    CLERIC_MAGE 1 3 2 3 4
    CLERIC_THIEF 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_DRUID 1 3 2 3 4
    FIGHTER_MAGE_CLERIC 1 3 2 3 4
    CLERIC_RANGER 1 3 2 3 4
    SORCERER 1 1 2 3 4
    MONK 1 3 2 3 4
    SHAMAN 1 3 2 3 4

I'm not sure what you mean with change monk to shaman, should I invert the two? I should put the Monk last in place of the shaman and viceversa? and then save and exit? that would fix the bug?
    Very simple:

In 122_WPO_proficiency.tpa, you use
    //PROF BONUSES______________________________________________________________________
    //
    COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/wspat3.2da~ ~override/wspatck.2da~

COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/wspecial2.2da~ ~override/wspecial.2da~

COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/thac0.2da~ ~override~
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~iwdee tob bgt~ BEGIN
    COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/profsmax_i.2da~ ~override/profsmax.2da~
    END
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgee bg2ee eet~ BEGIN
    COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/profsmax.2da~ ~override~
    END

COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/profs.2da~ ~override~

COPY ~scales_of_balance/misc/d5_numat.spl~ ~override~

But it should be:
    //PROF BONUSES______________________________________________________________________
    //
    COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/wspat3.2da~ ~override/wspatck.2da~

COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/wspecial2.2da~ ~override/wspecial.2da~

COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/thac0.2da~ ~override~
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~tob bgt~ BEGIN
    COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/profsmax_i.2da~ ~override/profsmax.2da~
    END
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgee bg2ee eet iwdee~ BEGIN
    COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/profsmax.2da~ ~override~
    END

COPY ~scales_of_balance/profs/profs.2da~ ~override~

COPY ~scales_of_balance/misc/d5_numat.spl~ ~override~

Just mixing classic tob and bgt with iwdee, so using wrong profsmax.2da.
  • MythalarMythalar Member Posts: 68
    Hey !

A question more out of curiosity than a game breaking bug:

I use SoB with all components and have an issue with the stats overhaul since when I up one stat (with a book in BG1 EE), all bonuses vanish.
    The spell slots remain (but perhaps only as long as I don't level up - did not test that) but the various saves bonus not (and i can't see them anymore with EEkeeper).

That's not so much an issue because I just copy/paste them from another save, but then again I have to set the effects to "Instant/Permanent" with EEkeeper for them to not vanish again.

Really cannot guess why...
    So out of curiosity, what's the reason to create those effects with a set duration and not permanent?

Mod list and install order:
    - IR
    - SR
    - IwDification
    - Tome & Blood (without stats component)
    - Faiths & Powers
    - Tweaks Anthology (without stats component)
    - Scales of Balance
    - SCS

But then again thanks for the mod 'o'
    StummvonBordwehrMythalar
  • erianneerianne Member Posts: 13

@erianne but in the post you quoted it appears that his profsmax.2da is correct, so the problem would seem to lie elsewhere.

I had the same problem. Could not get weapon-profiencies for SHAMAN. Moving iwdee from the line with BGT and TOB to BGEE BG2EE EET makes it. Have not checked profsmax.2da before and after...

• MythalarMythalar Member Posts: 68

@Mythalar using timing mode 1 or 9 WILL cause bugs. There is sn ongoing effect that evaluates your stats every 6 seconds and applies the appropriate bonuses - THAT effect has timing mode 9. If your stats change all you need to do for your bonuses to update is 1) go to the main game screen and unpause the game; and 2) wait a few seconds.

Ok now I see where was the issue, I tested some kits just by giving them to the same character with EEkeeper, and the automatic "Give kit abilities" thing gave it an effect that removes the constant stats check...

All good here then, thank you 'o'
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Can i modify this mod just merge the long and short bows ? If yes, how i do that ? Because i dont need the orher weapon merges.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    @subtledoctor I just did a test install on otherwise clean BG:EE of SoB v. 5.14.

I tested the stat bonus overhaul - specifically the Intelligence stats and extra spells. I made two pure mages - one with 12 Intelligence and one with 18 and both had two starting spells, despite the description saying an extra level 1 spell should be given with 13 Intelligence.
    Lemminkainen
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @subtledoctor

May I ask you some clarification about your spell evasion? In particular about this part:

"Then the function creates another 324 effect in Fireball, before the 177 effect. This 324 effect protects against that .EFF..."

As far as I know, opcode #324/318 cannot protect against .EFFs (only against SPLs or ITMs.....)
    Am I missing something?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    _Luke_
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    @subtledoctor

I didn't know it, good to know...... So, it doesn't matter if the various D5EVXX resources don't exist, the important thing is that their name coincides with that of the EFF, right?
    StummvonBordwehr_Luke_ThacoBell
  • LamiarLamiar Member Posts: 136
    @subtledoctor dear sir, i'm again want to play, again stuck with mods, incompatibilies and other usual stuff. :smile: i'm even learn that if you want to play in this game with mods, it is much better to have developer skills. :smiley:

May be i'm already noticed this once, but not sure... So, i'm have arcane casting speed penalty from armor, lets say it is plate armor for stronger penalty. Then i'm cast something like Chill Touch (doesnt matter exactly which spell, basically any which replace weapon and do touch-based effect). Then i'm touch enemy - and what happens? Happens weird stuff - caster begin cast associated? touch spell (even casting animation starts). Surely this makes those spells even more crappy than before, because instead of apply effect over already touched creature you more like will get interruption and/or loose action.

My notice is not about "please fix", but want to hear you thoughts why this may happens and how this can be solved?

I feel that in past years this was fine (may be very wrong), so it is possible what issue comes from updated stuff, but I believe what we may have casting speed penalty and have properly working this spells.

PS: In current run i'm somewhere after nashkel mines, and I like new fighting styles, may be except two handed. But i actually doesnt use two-handed weapons (swords), they are very weak few first levels, thanks for 10 weapon speed (so with 1APR you wait until end of round and see how enemies are hit you, and at first levels fast weapons arguably better). Unfortunately i'm abandon run. Found what can't live without FnP, full party with 2 multi clerics and 2 multi druids feels too similar even when i specialize them personally. So will restart... but need resolve some issues with FnP, like wrong targeting / etc. Also want my Bladesinger and Spellfilcher back, but this less annoying, than clerics. Initially I thinked about use NPC, installed, come to Jaheira and... hit in FnP wrong spells, duplicates, etc. Also Imoen freakingly disrupt me with their banters. No, custom party is my love. Love few NPC but in later time... NPC btw, usually has much greater stats... but my customs usually has max-not min stats. Now trying balance around 78 pts builds. :smile:

PPS: I'm back to idea to make total rebalancing mod... has few ideas around damage/hp/stats. Far different from DnD in some points, but i want/need perform normal play before to actually refresh feelings and knowledge. :smile:

Thanks for all of your hard work. Whenever i come to games with mages and/or melee - i always back to BG. Lot of interesting spells, combinations, buffs, metamagic. :)