Skip to content

[MOD] -Scales of Balance- a post-hac tweak mod

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2014
    Leveling a mage is still crashing the game. In fact, trying to create a mage is crashing the game when I click the "Skills" button during character creation. Do you think there is an issue with the fact that your proficiency redesign has them never gaining proficiency points again? I noticed Withgil had posted about this bug in BGEE as well on page 7, that leveling mages was crashing his game.

Lycanthropic Druids still do not gain their HLAs.

Tested both of these issues on OG BG2 and BG2EE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Awesome, thanks. One other thing I just caught is that, when making a mage, I am given points in Club, Quarterstaff, Sling, and Crossbow? I am guessing the Crossbow point should actually be in daggers/darts yea?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Guessing you ran into some issue and had to pull the link.

Yeah nothing beats posting, then testing. !! Found a bunch more bugs, squashed everything good, now the link is up again.
    CrevsDaak said:

That not true. You can use the BCS action AddKit(O:Object*,S:Kit*) to do that for you in the game :)

Yeah but to do that don't I need some kind of invisible monster (annoying) or area-based script (hurts compatibility with other mods)? At the moment I'm just re-creating the level 1 abilities via ADD_CRE_EFFECT... hopefully it is robust. I need to test and make sure the Skald and Loresinger bard songs are being modified properly, those are the most drastic issues (those and paladin abilities, but I checked the "Ajantis is an Inquisitor" component and I seem to have successfully approximated the level 1 Inquisitor abilities.
    You can use the npc cre's script for that. Many have an empty field that could be used for an extra script (it might not be the first script to trigger, but well).
  • SereverusSereverus Member Posts: 70
    i'm simply amazed that any of these things can be done.
    edited September 2014
    Perhaps just revert his HLAs back to the original Shapeshifter ones and allow him to naturally gain the super strong shape change at level 20? He would still be unable to cast spells while transformed, making his HLAs less useful since he still wouldn't be able to cast them while not in human form. Plus if someone is using a Lycanthropic Druid, they are most likely going to have chosen the Wolfwere HLA anyway.
    edited September 2014
    edited September 2014
  • WithgilWithgil Member Posts: 39
    Found a small bug: the forest runner cant wear splint mail as he should, only leather armor.
    Full plate armor doesnt fit a nimble forest fighter, must be horrible to fight in a forest with it.
    Splint and chain mail is ok they weigh not much and your still agile.
    edited September 2014
    I would go with the restriction (splint mail). In BG1 there are not many light armors but for me the roleplaying is more important than the power gaming.
    On the other hand who uses chain or splint mail at the moment. I would say nobody (except barbarians), kits that are not armor restricted take the full plate and the rest wear leather armor.
    And Minsc should "always" get your new barbarian ranger kit :)

EDIT: Viconia has to wear chain or splint too because of low strenght.
    edited October 2014
    Splint or lighter sounds fine, there are a decent amount of strong armors they could still wear into BG2 (Shadow Dragon armor springs to mind) so I do not think it would be a huge loss. The only issue I can see is, due to the Forest runner losing charm animal and spellcasting, why wouldn't I just chose a true class fighter? (rp aside) Maybe something to spice this class up? Not really sure what though... perhaps some natural resistance to the elements that grows as they level or something, since they are constantly moving through the wild avoiding the tyrannical authority that is hunting them? Or better stealth abilities than the other rangers?

Perhaps consider giving a few classes the ability to become more than proficient in clubs? Not only does it hurt the usability of clubs overall (why would I sacrifice extra attacks per round?), but certain classes get pretty gimped. For instance, the Beastmaster can use Club, Spear, Quarterstaff, and Sling, and Bows. The ONLY one handed weapon option is club, which he can never become more than proficient in.

In regards to Druid HLA system, yea you are right it wouldn't really be balanced. Maybe have him gain that last form naturally at 20, but have access to less spells per level than a normal Druid? This way even though he can get those HLAs, he wouldn't be able to cast many at once, depending on how restrictive you make it.

Lastly the bug with Cernd being unable to equip his own unique equipment is still there.
    Post edited by Dawglicious on
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

Underneath the hood, this is more a technical issue than an RP issue. Kit-based item usability is very popular, but very imprecise. Off the top of my head barbarians are restricted to splint mail or lighter; so I could have the Forest Runner glom onto that usability flag. But then Forest Runners would b subject to *all* barbarian item restrictions. Montolio's Cloak is ranger-only? Now Forest Runners can't use it.

So, for best results, such restrictions should really stay within the base class. For a ranger kit that means either 1) no armor restrictions at all; 2) restrictions shared with the Stalker; or 3) restrictions shared with the Beastmaster. At the moment, the Forest Runner is coded for 2)

Let me throw out a radical idea, however: shouldn't *all* Rangers be restricted to splint or lighter? The very nature of the class is such that they don't walk around in shiny suits of full plate. I think I could implement a splint mail restriction for trueclass rangers; and then the Forest Runner would share it. But that would have SERIOUS consequences, especially for Minsc.

Thoughts?

I restrict all rangers to splint.

You can restrict him to just barbarian armors, not all barbi usability. I have the code at home. Will post it later.
  • SereverusSereverus Member Posts: 70
    this is becoming more fascinating everyday, I look forward to giving it a whirl once it is finished, I would not be very helpful in testing, unless something very plainly wrong was happening. (i.e. Game crashes at startup thingies)
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Okay, sorry for the delay. My ranger is...complicated. However, I have removed heavy armor for clerics as well. You just need to make the necessary tweaks to change this to the ranger (or stalker slot). If you're not sure what to do, let me know.

//Removes heavy armors for all clerics. Adopted from Weidu tutorial by CamDawg
    COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm~ ~override~ //copies all item files
    PATCH_IF (~%SOURCE_SIZE%~ > ~0x71~) BEGIN // avoid crashing on empty items (Note: This'll be in the cleric section too... seems useful)
    READ_BYTE ~0x29~ ~barb~ //reads the byte containing the barbarian usability flag
    PATCH_IF ((~%barb%~ BAND ~0b01000000~) = ~0b01000000~) BEGIN // if it is unusable by barbarians
    READ_BYTE ~0x1E~ ~cleric~ //reads the byte containing cleric usability flag
    READ_SHORT ~0x1C~ ~type~ //reads the byte containing item type
    PATCH_IF (~%type%~ = ~2~) BEGIN // armor only
    WRITE_BYTE ~0x1e~ (~%cleric%~ BOR ~0b10000000~) // makes heavy armors unusable by clerics
    END
    END
    END
    BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
    edited October 2014
    edited October 2014
    I think there is a small problem with dual classing when you choose the second class you get no profincies. Is this intended?
  • StevevdlStevevdl Member Posts: 73
    Withgil said:

I think there is a small problem with dual classing when you choose the second class you get no profincies. Is this intended?

That is intended, you start getting weapon proficiencies again when you pass your first class level
    edited October 2014
  • FunkaveFunkave Member Posts: 31
    Hi, is is intentional that the Skald cannot place two pips anymore in any weapon? Because on the other side the Jongleur can, however it shouldn't be more fighting oriented than the skald. However I can see that now one has more attacks and higher armor, the other more damage plus the song.
    edited October 2014
    edited October 2014
    Tested the skald proficiency problem. With all the components installed, I am able to put 2 further pipes into most one handed weapons (excluding bastards swords and katanas).
    EDIT installed the bard component of the IWDification mod. Works without a problem.
    edited October 2014
    You've done a really great job with this mod :) Tested some classes and kits and played a party till level 6 (BG1EE) today. Except the dual classing bug I noticed no further problems so far.
    EDIT: the Inquisitor kit description says you get dispell magic and true sight every 4 levels which isnt correct.
    Description should state that you get oracle. Not a big problem though.
    edited October 2014