Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[MOD] -Scales of Balance- a post-hac tweak mod

Comments

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,336
    ... hm, but if that's true then the text problems you reported earlier shouldn't have happened. My code literally says
    ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~tob~ OR GAME_IS ~bg2ee~ THEN BEGIN
    SET_STRING 24201 ~ blah blah~
    END
    And I checked all the strings in a vanilla TOB install.

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,063
    Just an FYI @subtledoctor: BG2:EE does not suffer from the same 2-kit limit as BG:EE did. This was fixed I think in it's 1.2.xxx patch. Currently have 20 extra kits and is functioning fine.

• WithgilWithgil Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2014
    You are right the moon knight is not supposed to get the CHA bonus. :) but you asked what i meant with "does not work".
    Mmmh I think it would be weird if he would not be an inqisitor. Paladins get their powers from their god so if he serves Helm how should he get the powers of a Paragon of Torm.

• DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 201
    edited September 2014
    So, though you had warned against doing so, I activated the mod so I can install everything at once, just to see if other kits are alright. As far as I can see, everything works fine, kits all have their descriptions, I was even able to go so far as to create a new game with a kensai, and choose his weapon focus, which then updated his class to "Kensai (weapon focus)." I could gain levels with no problem. I grabbed Minsc, he had his Barbarian Ranger kit, and I was able to level him up and set his proficiency no problem. Here are the only issues that appear to still exist:

Mage Hunter is not correctly displaying Kit Name, or Kit description.
    Swashbuckler is not correctly displaying Kit Name, or Kit description.
    Jongluer is not correctly displaying Kit Name, or Kit description. Furthermore, when selecting a Bard, the list is as follows: Bard, Bard, Jester, Skald, messed up Jongluer, Loresinger. Selecting that second Bard button just highlights the first Bard option for a true class.
    Imoen is made a Thief dualed to Illusionist, but her thief class is inactive at Level 0 with -1 XP. Trying to level her crashed the game. I removed that part of your mod, so she would be just thief -> mage, she was still dualled to Illusionist and still had the -0 XP.

Hopefully there is some similarity between those 3 kits that help you identify why they are the only ones with a problem. As for Imoen, maybe setting a dual character to lvl 1 with your proficiency changes doesn't play well?

Is there anyone else who can install this mod onto BG2EE and see what happens? Maybe it is just me.

I also have the bard bard problem --> second bard option does nothing (BG1EE)

edited September 2014
    EDIT: SO here is the deal. I did a fresh install of BG2EE again, and then installed your mod, with all parts active. NO MORE BUGS (mostly)! Everything appears just as it should, all kit descriptions are there and everything. Is is possible that, by only allowing some but not all of your kits to be installed, it messed a few up? Honestly I don't know, but I can say that your mod is working and currently compatible with BG2EE, as said earlier no need to wait for 1.3 to have all those extra kits!

However the Imoen bug still exists if wanting her to be an illusionist, so just change it so she doesn't get set to 0 Xp, cause it breaks the theif levels. The two bard buttons are also still there, as well as a weird message that appears when people who are not reset to level 1 join your party, something along the lines of "Actually ignore this one. On to the next rogue."

So hopefully in the end this all worked out well? Sorry if I caused much of a ruckus.

Post edited by Dawglicious on
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 950
    This is a relatively small request and you may disregard it at your leisure, but, would you consider making the "full" names of the cleric kits actually be "Priest of Deity" (i.e. Silkwhisper of Sune, Moon Knight of Selune, etc.)? You can then of course keep the short name as just the name of the kit, dropping the deity.

Doing some minor testing and checking out some of the kits:

-Lycanthropic Druids never earn HLAs, so they are never able to gain that final Werewolf form, as well as any other HLAs obviously.

-Currently it seems having Imoen level at all in Chateau Irenicus causes a crash, did that version of her not level before? I'm wondering if you just never earn enough XP normally to be worried about leveling her up. It seems odd, no other NPC has suffered from this leveling issue so far but her.

edited September 2014
    kjeron said:

Just an FYI @subtledoctor: BG2:EE does not suffer from the same 2-kit limit as BG:EE did. This was fixed I think in it's 1.2.xxx patch. Currently have 20 extra kits and is functioning fine.

Okay, awesome. all kits will be enabled for 0.8.2. But I'm not releasing it until I squash as many bugs as possible.

Unless anyone has any objections, prepare for Ajantis the Inquisitor. In the immortal words of Samuel L. Jackson, "hold on to your butts."

The Imoen thing was a very very last-minute addition, I might know what the problem is but I might just remove it also.

The "On to the next rogue" thing is crazy, I've literally never seen that expression in any dialogue from any mod or bug or malfunction. Cool.

Post edited by subtledoctor on
    The Kivan and Deheriana Mod is finally ready for BG2EE.
    http://www.gibberlings3.net/kivan/
    Would be great if you could include that one too.
    Kivan has the archer kit and you can choose the kit for Deheriana:
    Enchanter, Diviner, Wild Mage or Cleric/Mage/Tief

edited September 2014
    All following issues were found on both GoG version and BGEE2 version, unless specified otherwise.

Barbarian Ranger still has access to his spell book. Also, when leveling Minsc when he has the Barbarian Ranger kit applied, he does not automatically have the appropriate proficiency points given; when leveled he has NO proficiency points and whatever I place his two points into gets wiped away, similar to when making a new character at the start of SoA.

I think this may have to do with the NPCs who are set up to join at level 0 and then be leveled. When I get Nalia, she starts as a level 0 loresinger with the following proficiency points in place: *short sword, *scimitar/katana, **daggers/darts, *club, *quarterstaff, *crossbow, *bows, *sling, *two weapon style. When I level her, she gains two points, and let's say I place one in sling, and one on crossbow. When I finish the leveling, she is missing the additional * in crossbow, but has gained *long sword, *war hammer, *flail, and *mace.

I think this leveling them from 0 thing is just being wonky. One workaround I have found so far is to set current XP to 0, level them, and then set it up to what it should be and level them again.

Also it appears that Cernd can no longer use his own unique equipment. Also suffers from the proficiency issue.

BG2EE ONLY: Cernd has a string error and cannot complete dialogue upon first meeting him if Minsc is in the party (this was all tested in Irenicus' dungeon via summon commands, so I don't know if this issue would persist when playing normally, but I could go through all the dialogue about trademeet and such, then have him join, as long as minsc was not with me).

Monitor of Mystra's bonus wizard spells all have incorrect descriptions except for Chromatic Orb. Could this be because it expects Identify to be there, but it currently is not added because you were having issues with it working properly?

• FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 379
    edited September 2014
    Druids only get proficiencies in Club, Sling, Knives and Polearms in my game. No Staff, Scimitar, Darts.

BTW I wanted a mod like this for about 10ish years and have talked about very similar changes as the ones you've made in other topics on the forum. So cheers.

edited September 2014
    Another bug:
    Branwen should be a Gloryblood of Tempus, at the moment she has the class Thief.
    As per EE Keeper the kit is correct (Gloryblood) but the base class is thief instead of cleric.

When leveling a mage or a sorcerer the game crashes (BG1EE).
    Had Tome and Blood installed, deinstalled it and created a new character, but that didnt help.
    And Tome and Blood doesnt work with the profiency aspect of the mod (as expected but shouldnt the old system be used for the sorcerer? The monk still can put points into the profiencies)
    The kits from blood and tome also dont work.
    For example EE Keeper shows the kit Eldritch Sorcerer as follows:
    class: sorcerer
    kit: monitor (which is a cleric kit from the scales of balance mod)
    Will deinstall all my mods and only install scales of balance.

Still cant level mages and sorcerers (did repair baldurs gate via the beamdog client = all mods deleted).
    When I create a new character (mage + kits and sorcerer) and try to load him/her into EE Keeper I get this error message (with installed mage and cantrip component and without it):
    Some spells assigned to this character were not found in the database, if you save this character this spells will not be saved
    Cannot find: SPWI116, SPWI112

When loading a freshly created sorcerer into the keeper I get the same message but it cant find this spells:
    SPWI108, SPWI113.

Tought scales of balance doesnt touch the sorcerer?

Post edited by Withgil on

would you consider making the "full" names of the cleric kits actually be "Priest of Deity" (i.e. Silkwhisper of Sune, Moon Knight of Selune, etc.)?

That's how I originally had it, but here's the problem I ran into: the paladin component treats paladins as sort of variant priests of deities; just priests in different sects and with a particular moral code, and therefore with different abilities (manifesting mechanically as being in the warrior class - just as being a priest of Milil results in abilities that manifest as being in the bard class). But the trueclass paladin kit name is used by the game for both in the list of kits and the list of classes. "Paladin of Tyr" doesn't look right in the main class list. So after removing the "of Tyr," the paladin kit choice screen looked like this:
    Paladin
    Paragon of Torm
    Inquisitor of Helm
    Necrobane of Kelemvor

That looks wonky. So I removed all of the deity names from the list, but figured they are in the text on the right so it's easy enough to see what each one it before choosing.

Then the question became, if paladins are this way, why are clerics different? So I did the same thing to teh clerics. BUT "clerics should be different" is a perfectly valid answer, and if people think the cleric kit list should show the "...of [deity]" I can add it back in, it's a very easy change.

edited September 2014
    Addressing everything else:

Bard
    Bard

... short answer, is actually intended. Long answer: that second button is for the Blade kit, which is unavailable and thus gives you the trueclass bard (which is why clicking the second button highlights the first). I wanted to eliminate the Blade; I originally planned to *change* it into the Jongleur which would truly do so. But then I figured, better to leave the kit there, hidden, for people who may want access to it via Shadowkeeper and to have as an option for Haer'Dalis. (He now defaults to being a "Blade Dancer," which is just the old Blade kit, because he is extra-planar and a special unique snowflake. Though personally I think his personality makes him more suited to the Skald kit.) Anyway the vagaries of the character generation UI make it difficult or impossible to remove that button without causing massive bugs and incompatibility with other mods. So I left it as Bard Bard. (Players of OG TOB will see that the Elven Archer kit shows the same behavior, appearing as Ranger Ranger for non-elves, because the non-EE engine is even more difficult to work with.)

Imoen, I think simply telling the engine "make her a mage/thief!" was lazy and doesn't work when she is human and coded to dual-class. There is a flag that sets whether a character can dual vs. multi. (Ever try to make a human multiclass in shadowkeeper? It doesn't work, but you CAN do it in NI if you find this flag - which is tough because it's not marked as such.) If I can find and manipulate that flag this component might work. I want to try because I think Imoen should have some kind of unique characteristics because... well because spoilers but play BG2 and see. I'll probably remove it for now and keep trying, and maybe add it back in 0.9 or 1.0.

Druid HLAs: weird. BG2:EE must do something different with HLAs because I think this is working on OG BG2, both with and without Refinements. I'll investigate. The HLA .2da files are structured in ways that make them annoying to deal with, but I'll look for a way to implement this in a more robust fashion.

Branwen is a thief: due to a typo/oversight/laziness. Will fix.

Druid proficiencies: Darts are folded into knives/daggers, and I intended to remove scimitars, because it is absolutely bats#!t crazy that Bioware gave druids access to scimitars, it makes no sense whatsoever, and I actually consider removing this a "fix" more than a tweak. I know some people think Jaheira can't be Jaheira if she isn't dual-wielding scimitars, but come on.... At the very least I don't think druids should get *free* proficiency with scimitars (which now includes katanas and basically means "eastern/exotic bladed weapons"). I'll fix this so they can use their next proficiency point, at level 5 or 6, to put in scimitars.

But not getting staffs is a big problem, I will fix that.

Monitor's spell descriptions: I was lazy, I totally should have predicted that this would be screwed up. Easy fix.

Leveling up mages and sorcerers: The wizard component only gives sorcerers a +1 penalty to casting speed. If that opcode is broken is could be problematic, but I didn't think it was broken, and that component has been that way since v0.3 and nobody has mentioned anything. (Of course it's possible nobody was using it!) Also I ctrl-F searched my mod for spwi108, spwi112, spwi113, spwi116 and they do not appear anywhere. So I have no idea what could be causing this.

Wonky Cernd: the only way Cernd was modified at all by this mod is to drop him to level zero for proficiencies. Which clearly is causing all sort of unanticipated problems. For the proficiency component I might try to drop everyone to level 1, and manually (sigh, grunt work) add base proficiencies. Or, worst-case scenario, everyone will stay as they are and I'll just add proficiencies for their current level. (That's how Anomen, unchanged Imoen, and unchanged Nalia are coded now... do they work okay?)

The re-kitting component, though, kind of relies on getting all the level 1 kit effects, so I'll have to think harder about how to fix that.

I think this leveling them from 0 thing is just being wonky. ... [It's] similar to when making a new character at the start of SoA. ... One workaround I have found so far is to set current XP to 0, level them, and then set it up to what it should be and level them again.

Right, that makes perfect sense. It worked in my tests in BG1:EE but I wasn't leveling them up as much. There are slightly immersion-breaking methods I could use to get around this: say, giving everyone 1 XP to get to level 1, then having them use an innate ability that bumps them up to the proper XP level. Not perfect, but under the circumstances... (And let's be clear, everyone playing non-EE versions should be using Level 1 NPCs, which does all this much better. In fact maybe I should make the rekitting component EE-only, like the APR component.)

edited September 2014
    Oh yeah and:

Proficiency component doesn't work with other kit mods: no it indeed does not. I may have to manually add compatibility on a case-by-case basis, which would be a major undertaking given all of the mods floating around right now.

Or, I could try to design a weidu macro that checks kitlist.2da for any mod kits, finds out the base class of each, finds the CLAB file for each, and dynamically loops through appending a particular text file to each CLAB. If anyone feels like they might be able to help with such a script, feel free to let me know, because at the moment it is completely beyond my abilities.

In the meantime if anyone wants to manually do this in your game, here's how:

Look in /SoB/profs/ and you will see, among lots of other things,
    Pfight.txt
    Prange.txt
    Ppalad.txt
    Pcleri.txt
    Pdruid.txt
    Pthief.txt
    Pbard.txt
    Pwizar.txt

Add the text of the appropriate file (depending on the kit's base class) at the bottom of the CLAB file of the mod kit, and they will get the same base proficiencies at level 1.

edited September 2014
    Reinstalled BG1EE and installed scales of balances only (without cantrips and mage modification).
    I dont get the spell error anymore when loading the save game with EE Keeper. *sigh* one should always reinstall Baldurs Gate after messing with mods.
    But still cant level the mage or sorcerer.
    Profiencies of mod kits are a minor problem, they can be added via EE Keeper.

edited September 2014
    Oh, I think that problem is less to do with reinstalling BG itself, and more to do with loading savegames in EEKeeper. Uninstalling mods via Weidu should put the game back in a pristine state - this I HAVE tested, extensively. (Easy to check, just peek in the override folder and see if there are any files there.)

But savegames take on all sorts of data and never let it go, and it will corrupt things if you change/add/subtract mods and try to use an old savegame.

Rule of thumb: every time you change mods, wipe out all savegames and start fresh. It's not the mods' fault, it's the structure of the savegame files.

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,488
    Regarding human multiclass (for imoen), you have to tweak a 2da. "clsrcreq.2da" I believe

edited September 2014
    FYI NPCs such as unchanged Anomen (not set to level 0) work just fine, he has his proficiency points and what have you.

I rechecked the Lycanthropic Druid on GoG version of BG2, and he is still not receiving HLAs. It is just the Lycanthropic kit tough, other Druids get HLAs just fine (something to do with the unique Werewolf HLA perhaps?)

edited September 2014
    "Right, that makes perfect sense. It worked in my tests in BG1:EE but I wasn't leveling them up as much. There are slightly immersion-breaking methods I could use to get around this: say, giving everyone 1 XP to get to level 1, then having them use an innate ability that bumps them up to the proper XP level. Not perfect, but under the circumstances... (And let's be clear, everyone playing non-EE versions should be using Level 1 NPCs, which does all this much better. In fact maybe I should make the rekitting component EE-only, like the APR component.)"

This doesn't sound that awful as long as it works as intended.

edited September 2014
    So, because I changed course and tried to go the "level zero NPCs" route, I never found out how to integrate BG2:EE NPCs the secondary way. I guess Dorn is the only warrior who can specialize, so I think he's the only I have to worry about. Can someone find out for these files:
    - dorn8.cre
    - dorn9.cre
    - dorn10.cre
    - dorn12.cre
    - dorn14.cre

...which proficiencies he has more than 1 star in?

I rechecked the Lycanthropic Druid on GoG version of BG2, and he is still not receiving HLAs. It is just the Lycanthropic kit tough, other Druids get HLAs just fine (something to do with the unique Werewolf HLA perhaps?)

No, I suspect I know what the problem is. Can you (or anyone else) look at LUABBR.2da in unmodded BG2:EE and tell me what the values are for the druid kits? And also what line numbers they appear at?

E.g. I expect it should be
    1 2DA V1.0
    2 *
    4 MAGE
    5 FIGHTER
    6 CLERIC
    45 TOTEMIC_DRUID
    46 SHAPESHIFTER
    47 BEAST_FRIEND

Please let me know if it is different.

edited September 2014
    The values in LUABBR.2da match up with an unmodded BG2EE to what you posted.

Dorn8 has **Crossbow, **Two handed swords, and **Two handed ws
    Dorn 9 has the same as 8, but one * in Bastard Swords.
    Dorn 10 has the same as 9
    Dorn 12 has the same as 10 but with ** in Bastard Swords
    Dorn 14 seems to be at the same level as Dorn 12, but with extra XP for leveling him up.

I am curious, and I didn't see it outlined fully anywhere, but what exactly are the changes you made to stat bonuses? For instance, I noticed 18 dex only grants -3 AC now. Could you give a table outlining the bonuses for each stat at each point?

FrozenCells
    edited September 2014
    I moved back the 4th AC bonus to make 19 DEX more special, previously it was underwhelming for being superhuman.

I just updated the initial readme post in this thread with the revised stat values. Or you can just take a look at the 2da files in /SoB/misc/

Dawglicious
    @Dee or any other @moderators:

Can you please delete the attached files from the first post in this thread? After Monday's forum update deleting files no longer works. I don't want to gum up your servers/bandwidth with my obsolete files, and I don't want players to download versions of my mod that don't work. (I'm going to move this mod over to Github.)

edited September 2014
    Okay I'm pushing out beta 0.8.2 which hopefully fixes most of the bugs described recently. Get it here:
    https://github.com/subtledoctor/Scales-of-Balance/tree/master/v08

Okay I'm pushing out beta 0.8.2 which hopefully fixes most of the bugs described recently. Get it here:

Guessing you ran into some issue and had to pull the link. Anyway thanks for posting that info on the stats, I like how you balanced it.

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,136

The re-kitting component, though, kind of relies on getting all the level 1 kit effects, so I'll have to think harder about how to fix that.

That not true. You can use the BCS action AddKit(O:Object*,S:Kit*) to do that for you in the game :)