Skip to content

[MOD] -Scales of Balance- a post-hac tweak mod

Comments

• DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    Would you like us to mention any description issues we come across, such as the Inquisitor mentioned above? Or are you going to do a final sweep of all of that anyway before version 1 releases?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited October 2014
    The Inquisitor kit appears correct in my install of BG2EE.

Things that need correcting: This seems to be contained to the true class choices, such as a plain Fighter. His description lists him as being able to "achieve Grandmaster (5 slots) with any weapon type." Firstly he can obviously only get to 4 slots with the rebalance, but secondly he can't actually Grandmaster in all weapon types now (you may want to list what weapons he can get to four slots in just to help players during character creation). The Cleric and Thief both also list that they can become only proficient (1 slot) in any weapon they can use, which is again incorrect as they can now place 2 slots.

One other change that would be nice is, that when placing a proficiency slot, it remains showing your new proficiency slot table. Currently it has yours visible, until I add a point into a weapon, upon which it switches back to the outdated slot table. Not a huge issue but a little annoying.
    Post edited by Dawglicious on
  • WithgilWithgil Member Posts: 39
    Sorry for the missinformation about the Inquisitor kit, when creating a new character and playing with him the description is ok.
    Only Ajantis has a false kit description.
    He is not an Inquisitor of Helm, but only an Inquisitor.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited October 2014
    @subtledoctor If your still having trouble figuring out the Shapeshifter HLA problem:
    It's nothing your changing. The unused LUXXX files don't work in Vanilla either - they are not set up properly. The columns Minimum level and Maximum level are for multi-class characters.
    Set Minimum to "1" and Maximum to "99" and it will work fine.
    Post edited by kjeron on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2014
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited October 2014
    That's exactly right. That is unfortunate that fixing it is so complicated though.
    edited October 2014
    Also, just so you know, the true class fighter can put up to three points in Club. I assume this is a mistake.

I still believe a few other classes should be able to put more points into club, such as Druids and maybe a couple of the Ranger Kits. I understand your reasoning behind the one point only club rule, and in BG1 it doesn't hurt the usability of clubs too greatly. However by BG2, clubs become really bad as more points are placed into other weapon types.

I was curious, do you plan on trying to get your mod to work with IWDEE when it releases? What you have done here would be fantastic for that game. Obviously more kits is awesome when you make your party yourself, but more importantly your proficiency overall would benefit game play greatly. BG2 split weapons into too many specific groups, so that there were many weapons you would never end up using. IWD, having even more loot which is also randomized, would suffer even more. This mod would help with that quite a bit.
    edited October 2014
    When I try to install sob I get following error. (version 0.9.2)
    edited October 2014
    And thats why I am a network technician and not a programmer :).
    edited October 2014
    Installing the Coran Sharpshooter part for BG2EE doesn't work because of the following: ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~D5_PROFS.2da~ THEN BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~O#coran.creE~ ~override~
    ~O#cor25.cre~ ~override~

That "E" needs to be removed.

- Not sure if you are backburning it, but Cernd's weapons are still not useable by Cernd (He is my go to for checking out Lycanthropic Druid).

Lycanthropic Druid has some issues still:
    - When choosing HLAs, the Transformation option has no Icon, and there are two of them that I can choose (seem to be the same, allowing me 2 transformations a day). I only really found it by clicking around the screen in frustration since it wouldn't let me continue until I picked all available HLAs.

- When leveling and placing proficiency points, some of the options just eat the choice, such as placing a point into daggers/darts (Haven't noticed this with other classes or with true class druid). The point is used, but not added to that weapon type, and I cannot remove it to get the point back.

- The transformations seem wonky. So the wolf is fine, the dire wolf is fine, and the werewolf is fine. However, the level 13 transformation that is gained is stronger than the HLA version. The level 13 ability puts me at -10 AC, with something like 21 strength and 20 dex. The HLA version is significantly weaker. Were these two accidentally switched?
    edited October 2014
    Haha indeed it may be, this kit always seemed to be the hardest to balance. The original game made them a terrible option but many of the fix packs and such made them too good. Which is a shame because I always found Cernd as a character to be rather amusing.

"As the trees are buffeted and snapped in the face of the gale, I shall be as the bamboo and flex."
    edited October 2014
    edited October 2014
    Couldnt install the 0.9.3 shapeshifting component.
    I get following error.
    edited October 2014
    edited October 2014

I could not replicate the proficiency thing with the disappearing star. If you can be more specific about 1) what mods/components you're using, and 2) what game you're playing and what level-up screen you saw it in, I'll try to recreate it.

I was trying all of this out on BG2EE, no mods but yours. On a GoG install of BG2 I could not replicate this problem.

It is in the normal level up screen, just from leveling him when he first joins. I have been able to replicate this with the main character, here is how:

- Create a character, say a Fighter.
    - Put both of my starting proficiency points into, let's do Long Sword.
    - Start game. Level up.
    - Place proficiency points into anything BUT Long Sword, good to go.
    - Place points into Long Sword, hey where did my point go?

Perhaps while you have the game resetting the proficiency points depending on class, something is remembering that the points are there? Cernd can place and take a point into anything he does not have points set into. For some reason though, Minsc can place and remove points just fine. I don't remember this being an issue previously, did you change something somewhat recently that could possibly cause this?

Something I just realized as well, from testing this on a GoG install; in BG2EE, the shapeshifter werewolf forms are NOT receiving CON bonuses. Also the level 13 greater werewolf has lower con than the level 6 werewolf form. In the GoG install they are gaining CON bonuses just fine. Is there anything I can look into to see why this is happening? This could also mean other forms aren't getting a CON bonus either. What should I be seeing from forms gained by say the Avenger? I don't mind testing them all out in BG2EE. (EDIT: Tested Avenger, none of the forms gain CON bonuses. If they aren't supposed to than good, but otherwise not good)

I'm going to try all this gain from a fresh install of BG2EE and your mod, see if maybe that helps.

Just to be clear, is this with the proficiency component installed?

- If not, then I have no idea because that's the only part of my mod that edits proficiencies.

- If so, then at level 1 you wouldn't assign any points to a fighter, it would say zero and you just click through. The initial proficiencies should up on the next CharGen screen. Then you can CLUA yourself to level 6 and you should have two points to spend, which you should be able to apply in top of the initial proficiencies.

Re: CON bonuses: I don't understand. Do you mean PC's CON doesn't change when shapeshifting? I know in the OG the polymorph spell effect gives the caster the STR, DEX, and CON scores of the CRE he polymorph a into, but does not change INT, WIS, or CHA. It's possible that EE changes this behavior.

In regards to proficiency: Yes I am using your proficiency component.

- In BG2EE, if I create a new character, I can set proficiency points. Your mod then resets them to the base points. (I know you recommend starting a BGEE game to avoid proficiency loss, but stay with me on this because it is the only way I have replicated the Cernd bug).

Say I made a fighter and placed the points into Long Sword at BG2EE character creation, so at this point I have ONLY two points in Long Sword and nothing else. I start the game, have the Irenicus sequence play out. Imoen wakes me, I now have control. At this point your mod has overridden my proficiency points to the base a fighter starts with (including setting Long Sword to 1 pip). I CLUA myself a bunch of levels. I hit level up and can now place proficiency points. At this point I can place and remove points from any weapon or weapon style properly EXCEPT Long Sword. If I place points into Long Sword, it still remains at 1 pip but takes the proficiency point away from me. Since it never adds it to Long Sword in the first place, I cannot remove it, hence I have just lost a point.

I have had that proficiency bug affect Cernd and Jaheira as well.

As for the CON bonuses, yes I mean the PC's CON remains at it's base. Only the STR and DEX change.
    edited October 2014
    edited October 2014
    Sadly you are correct about the CON change for BG2EE. What was the reasoning for removing this? Makes things like the Werewolf shapeshifts way worse since you lose the regeneration...

I just noticed that I cannot apply the Swashbuckler to Yoshimo or the Mage Hunter to Valygar. For Yoshimo I get:

ERROR: cannot convert %D5_SWASH% or %%D5_SWASH%% to an integer
    ERROR: [YOSHI7.CRE] -> [override] Patching Failed

For Valygar I get:
    ERROR: [VALYG8.CRE] -> [override] Patching Failed

Since I couldn't remember having this bug before, I rolled back to older versions. This proficiency bug does not occur until 9.1, 9.0 and earlier worked fine. You may be correct about that dual-classing fix being the culprit.

I had missed that post from you earlier, so I checked it now. True classes suffer this bug, but kits do not, as you suspected.

To verify, version 9.1 and beyond had a fix applied to allow proficiency selection when dualling correct? I dualled from a Thief to a Cleric, and was not given any points to allocate, it just had 0 and I had to hit done.

Assuming everything is working fine on BGEE, perhaps just waiting until 1.3 is out for BG2EE like you had planned before is best. If BGEE 1.3 has your mod working fine, it wouldn't surprise me if BG2EE's patch ends up making them structurally similar.
    It is the "Delay/Permanent"(4) timing that is causing the Proficiency points to be appear to be wasted.
    EE-233 transforms this timing mode into "Instant/Permanent until Death"(1) when it is applied, after its delay.
    The natural proficiency selection uses timing mode "Instant/Permanent"(9).
    Both effects remain separate on the character file.

Now, this opcode does not stack, and the one applied last will override what is displayed and used.

By selecting profs at creation before your mod does its thing, they have an earlier timestamp, and get overridden by your mod. However, those proficiency points spent are actually applied, and the character will have an "Instant/Permanent"(9) effect added or replaced for that proficiency. The game uses whatever the active Proficiency amount is, and applies the effect at one pip higher.

When your mod does its thing first, the natural proficiency selection effect will have a later timestamp, and override your mod as soon as they put a pip into each proficiency. The proficiency effect added by your mod stays around though, and is what persists through Dual-Classing until your original class reactivates.

The same/opposite behavior can be seen with equipment that grants proficiency while equipped, it will not be used if the character already has proficiency with the weapon, higher or lower, but can also break the system if you dual-class while it is equipped.

This happens in both BG:EE and BG2:EE, the opportunity just doesn't happen with BG:EE in your mod.

If this issue is only EE specific, and if you are applying ALL first level proficiencies through these clab-spells, I might have a way around this behavior, but I'm not sure what behavior you want with the dual-classing.

Try this:
    Add an AP_spell to the Clab at level 1, it can be the same for every class.
    It's only effect is Opcode 321, Remove Effect by Resource, Timing mode 0, duration 1, and leave the Resource field empty/none(0).
    This is what the old bugged Luck spell was doing that removed characters proficiencies, since they are applied to the character without a parent resource. BGII:EE's character creation process will apply this effect during creation, leading them to waste any points they are given similar to what happens now when they level up - except that it will not leave an effect on the character, when they select proficiencies after your mod has given them out, it should function as intended.
    You are still losing the points gained from these starting levels though, for that you would have to drop them to level one.

Note - the only other effects I have found that also lack a parent resource are the effects that denote that a character has taken an HLA, used to restrict the Deva/Planetar, or limit the amount taken. As long as you don't use a permanent timing mode or apply it after level 1, it will not interfere with them.
    edited October 2014
    Ah, okay. I thought you wanted them to keep the base proficiencies from their first class when they dual-classed.

Your delayed cast spell solution should work.

The reason it doesn't work with a straight "Instant/Permanent" is because, despite all that makes since, the proficiencies from the CLAB are being applied BEFORE the characters Original Class becomes inactive. So they get repressed along the characters actual "original class" proficiencies they had before dual-classing.

I'm not making sense of that.
    edited October 2014