Skip to content

[How to] Making kit mods for the EE!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    Not entirely sure why I've been summoned to this thread @subtledoctor ... Care to elaborate?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @subtledoctor: I don't think I'm confusing the two. The usability flag was 2000; the KITIDS entry at the far right was 4000 something.

I didn't actually make mage kits before; the Red Soul and Green Soul kits were just effects applied via a custom potion. The kits didn't scale with level, so it didn't need to be a proper kit. The Alchemist, however, does, since it has much more complex stuff going on, including unique HLAs.

In the meantime, I've tweaked the kit to simply be a generalist mage (usability flag 0000, KITIDS entry 4000 something), and nerfed the kit by increasing some prices and weakening one of its best items. I may have to do more, but the inability to cast Abjuration spells isn't so meaningful when the Alchemist already has so few spell slots.
  • dbianco87dbianco87 Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2017
    My CLAB file doesn't seem to do anything. I added a bunch of spells to my kit. Weidu seems to recognize the file and installs it without a hitch, but my character doesn't get any spells from it. I start a new game, no spells, I level him up no spells. Any idea what could cause this?

Note: The spells are all innates. I looked at the character file in keeper and there's no sign of even a single one of the spells on the character.

BTW, the kit used in the sample on the first page is from the Undead Hunter Paladin kit, not inquisitor.

Edit: For debugging purposes, I made an exact copy of another clab file and plugged it in. Had the same exact problem.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @dbianco87 if you want help with debugging it, I'll gladly do it, but you'll have to post it. I can only assume you've used AP instead of GA, or didn't create the spells correctly, or the spells are not in the game.
  • dbianco87dbianco87 Member Posts: 21
    CrevsDaak said:

@dbianco87 if you want help with debugging it, I'll gladly do it, but you'll have to post it. I can only assume you've used AP instead of GA, or didn't create the spells correctly, or the spells are not in the game.

I very much appreciate the response. The kit I'm making is part of an NPC mod, I'll try to get a distributable version together this weekend as this issue is holding me up and I could use the help.

I am fairly certain however that my CLAB file is correct, and understand when to use GA and AP. I even replaced it with other, official kits' clab files, and the results were the same: The character got none of the abilities associated with those kits either. Also, I've tested the custom spells in game, while a few of them still need work all of them are at the very least castable and most work as intended.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Is there something specific you need to do to make the kit show up on the select screen? My paladin kit installs fine but doesn't show up. No other kit mods installed.

.tp2 info below

BACKUP ~RubyRoseKnight/backup~
    AUTHOR ~WarChiefZeke @ beamdog forums~ // contact address displayed if installation fails

BEGIN ~Ruby Rose Knight~

ADD_KIT ~Ruby Rose Knight~

// appended to CLASWEAP.2da
    ~Ruby Rose Knight 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 1~

// appended column-wise to WEAPPROF.2da
    ~Ruby Rose Knight 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0~

// appended to ABCLASRQ.2da
    ~Ruby Rose Knight 12 10 9 0 13 17~

// appended to ABCLSMOD.2da
    ~Ruby Rose Knight 0 0 0 0 0 0~

// appended to ABDCDSRQ.2da
    ~Ruby Rose Knight 17 0 0 0 0 17~

// appended to ABDCSCRQ.2da
    ~Ruby Rose Knight 15 0 0 0 0 15~

// appended to ALIGNMNT.2da
    ~Ruby Rose Knight 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0~

// appended to DUALCLAS.2da
    ~Ruby Rose Knight 0 0 0 0 0 0~

// 2da file?

~RubyRoseKnight/CLABRUBRO.2da~

// KITABLE.2da who can use kit

~K_P_D K_P_H K_P_E K_P_G K_P_HE K_P_HL K_P_HO~

// restrictions

~0x00000010 6~

// HLA table

~Pa0~

// TOB Starting Equip
    ~CHAN09 * HELM07 BAG20 RING06 RING31 * BOOT01 AMUL19 BRAC16 BELT06 AROW11,40 BULL03,40 BOLT06,40 POTN52,5 POTN4,2 POTN14,5 HAM07 SW1H27 STAF08~

SAY ~Ruby Rose Knight~
    SAY ~Ruby Rose Knight~
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    First, CLABRUBRO.2da should only contains 8 characters, not 9.

Second, where is the LAF fl#add_kit_ee part, mandatory for EE games?
    Thanks, thats probably definitely the issue, I will know more tommorow when I have an off-work day and time to test it.

Thanks again for the timely response.
    For the record, that worked. It installed correctly and works as intended. Thanks.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2017
    Forget it, worked it out.
    edited July 2017
    @CrevsDaak @subtledoctor @Aquadrizzt @Grammarsalad

Can you guys give me a hand?

I triple checked de tp2 by now and can't find what the hell I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!
    elminster said:

Actually I do have a question. Is there any way to make kits gender restricted?

Seems like there's a way, but IDK if it is true:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27810
    Errr...

Guys, another help?
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    edited July 2017
    Raduziel said:

elminster said:

Actually I do have a question. Is there any way to make kits gender restricted?

Seems like there's a way, but IDK if it is true:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27810
    Sorry, I forgot to respond at G3. Done. :*
    Yes it works both for BG2, BGT and BG2:EE.

Edit: If you need more explanations than those provided in the mentioned thread, just ask so I release the whole code.
    Post edited by Gwendolyne on
    My kit's name won't appear on the character sheet. Can someone help me?

Here's the tp2:

BACKUP "Undead Predator/Backup"
    AUTHOR Raduziel
    VERSION "v1.0"

BEGIN "Undead Predator kit for Rangers"
    INCLUDE "Undead Predator\Lib\fl#add_kit_ee.tpa"

ADD_KIT ~RZ#POU~
    ~RZ#POU 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 2 2 2 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0~
    ~RZ#POU 13 13 14 3 16 3~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 0 0 -2~
    ~RZ#POU 99 99 99 99 99 99~
    ~RZ#POU 15 17 0 0 15 0~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0~
    ~RZ#POU 0 0 0 0 0 0~
    ~Undead Predator\Tables\RZ#POU.2da~
    ~K_R_H K_R_D K_R_G K_R_E K_R_HE K_R_HL K_R_HO~
    ~0x00010000 12~
    ~RZ#POU~
    ~LEAT19 BLUN25 HELM16 * RING27 RING31 CLCK02 BOOT01 AMUL27 BRAC10 * * * * * * * SW1H31 AX1H10 *~
    SAY ~undead predator~
    SAY ~Undead predator~
    SAY ~UNDEAD PREDATOR: This ranger devotes its life to hunting and destroying the undead and helping those who have fallen victim to them. They are nomads wandering through the darkest corners of the land fighting these profane creatures. Their hard training comes at a cost: they do not have the same affinity with nature as other rangers and rarely create bonds with the people around them.

Advantages:

- +10% to Hide in Shadows and Move Silently
    - +3 to Hit and Damage against Undeads
    - -2 AC Bonus against Undeads
    - Starts with a +1 bonus to its save against Paralyzation, Poison or Death Magic. Another one is given at levels 5, 10, 15, and 20.
    - Casts Cure Disease, Lesser Restoration, Negative Plane Protection, Remove Fear, and Remove Paralysis. Gains a use for each spell at level 2 and another every 4 levels up to three uses at level 10.
    - At level 15 gains the Deceive Undead ability
    - At level 20 becomes immune to Disease, Fear, Level/Ability Drain, and Paralyze

DECEIVE UNDEAD:

The Undead Predator is capable of turn himself undetectable by the undead. While this ability is activated every undead will completely ignore the Predator no matter what it does. The effect can be used once per day and lasts for 10 Rounds.

Disadvantages:

- Besides Weapon Styles, may only allocate proficiency slots in Crossbow, Spears, Maces, Hammers, Longswords, and Axes
    - All spell-like abilities are single-target and require touch
    - Alignment restricted to Neutral Good
    - Requires at least 16 Wisdom
    - Can't wear metal armor
    - -2 Charisma penalty
    - Cannot Dual Class
    - Can't cast spells
    - No Charm Animal
    ~

LAF fl#add_kit_ee
    INT_VAR
    briefdesc = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~Undead Predator: This ranger is focused in hunting and destroying undeads.~)
    fallen = 1
    fallen_notice = RESOLVE_STR_REF (~Lost Class: Undead Predator~)
    STR_VAR
    kit_name = ~RZ#POU~
    hpclass = ~HPRZ#POU~

END

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#SPCD.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 ~Cure Disease~
    SAY NAME2 ~Cure Disease~

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#SPDU.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 ~Deceive Undead~
    SAY NAME2 ~Deceive Undead~

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#SPLR.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 ~Lesser Restoration~
    SAY NAME2 ~Lesser Restoration~

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#SPNPP.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 ~Negative Plane Protection~
    SAY NAME2 ~Negative Plane Protection~

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#SPRF.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 ~Remove Fear~
    SAY NAME2 ~Remove Fear~

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#SPRP.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 ~Remove Paralysis~
    SAY NAME2 ~Remove Paralysis~

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#DSIM.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 #-1
    SAY NAME2 #-1

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#STBN.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 #-1
    SAY NAME2 #-1

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#SVBN.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 #-1
    SAY NAME2 #-1

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#ACUD.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 #-1
    SAY NAME2 #-1

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#REFE.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 #-1
    SAY NAME2 #-1

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#NGPR.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 #-1
    SAY NAME2 #-1

COPY "Undead Predator/Spl/RZ#FRAC.spl" override
    SAY NAME1 #-1
    SAY NAME2 #-1

COPY "Undead Predator/Tables/HPRZ#POU.2DA" override
    "Undead Predator/Tables/LURZ#POU.2DA" override

And I want to thank @subtledoctor for the awesome "NAME1" teaching. Helped me fix a problem.
    edited July 2017
    Ok, huge problem now:

Everytime I uninstall my kit I break my installation. Like all the strings gets messed up.

No strange behavior with strings are observed testing the mod. I'm using a fresh install (vanilla BGEE + Modmerge + Undead Predator only). The only others alterings are the XP Cap (removed using the Simple XP Cap Removal from this forum) and enabling CluaConsole.

I'm almost giving up, but want to see if anyone here can help me.

Every single mod file is attached in the .zip DON'T INSTALL IT because it may mess your game. Unless you want to install to see what mess I'm talking about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    edited July 2017
    1) Will modify now, thanks!

2) No idea, I was just following @CrevsDaak 's steps

3) Ditto
    Post edited by Raduziel on
    edited July 2017
    @subtledoctor

Did as you instructed and, good news, the kit's name and data now appears in the character sheet!

Bad news: uninstall it still breaks the game (as you can see below... those photos are after I uninstalled and reinstalled the kit).

And sorry about the long wait for a feedback, I literally fell asleep over the notebook.

I'm attaching the kit with all the alterings you suggested.

Thanks!!!

@Raduziel how did you uninstall and reinstall? Normally via WeiDU? And if you're using SoD, I'm pretty sure you have to install it over SoD, not BG:EE.

2) Are those RESOLVE_STR_REF's necessary? I use tra references so I don't know if that's correct.

They're necessary because you need to add the string to the tlk before passing the string reference to the function. I'm not sure how the interaction with .tra references is, but if you're not using a .tra you definitely need it.
    edited July 2017
    @CrevsDaak

1) Normally via WeiDU.

2) What do you mean? I'm installing it like I always installed any mod - can you explain like I was five?

3) I've removed the RESOLVE_STR_REF's and it made my kit appear on the character sheet (before it the class was displayed as pure-class Ranger). The messy bug I reported was happening prior that change, by the way.

And this problem occurs only in BGEE-SoD. I was able to Instal/Uninstall it normally in IWDEE and BG2EE.

I'm attaching the files of what was supposed to be the final version (if not for this horrifying game-breaking damned foul bug).
    Raduziel said:

2) What do you mean? I'm installing it like I always installed any mod - can you explain like I was five?

Like uninstalling via WeiDU instead of deleting override or any other sorts of treachery that might cause bugs. Check that you're installing it over SoD, not BG:EE tho.
    Raduziel said:

3) I've removed the RESOLVE_STR_REF's and it made my kit appear on the character sheet (before it the class was displayed as pure-class Ranger). The messy bug I reported was happening prior that change, by the way.

No clue about that then. Maybe Wisp changed how it works and I never noticed. Or I just never noticed how it initially worked, no clue. I'll look into it and fix the OP.
    Raduziel said:

And this problem occurs only in BGEE-SoD. I was able to Instal/Uninstall it normally in IWDEE and BG2EE.

Check these two things:
    1) If Modmerge is properly installed.
    2) If you're installing the mod over SoD and not BG:EE.
    I think that should fix it (I think, haven't been around for too long I guess).
    edited July 2017
    @CrevsDaak

Installed BGEE (clean install, fresh from Steam).

Created new BGEE (and only BGEE) game. Saved.

Downloaded modmerge-win32.zip from here

Runned modmerge.exe

Copied the mod folder, tp2 and .exe to Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder (the one inside steamapps).

Runned modsetup.exe and installed.

Runned the game, tested some things with the kit - no issue, not a minor one.

Runned modsetup.exe and uninstalled.

Runned BGEE.

Completly Chaos.

--------------------------

The install/uninstall process is exactly the same that I always do with several mods. I really don't know what you're saying by "installing over SoD and not BGEE". Didn't even know it was possible.

Can you give me a step by step or point where I'm being stupid at the steps above?

Thanks!

PS: Every game (IWDEE, BGEE-SoD, BG2EE) are Steam versions.
    edited July 2017
    @CrevsDaak @subtledoctor @Grammarsalad and all the other helpful souls who are trying to help:

Did a try with a pure BGEE (without SoD) install and the bug happened the exact same way. So it's not a modmerge issue.

Can someone try to reproduce this bug? Maybe it's something wrong with my computer that oddly enough affects only BGEE and only this mod, but who knows, I'm desperate enough to try this long shot.
    SOLVED, HELL YEAH!!!!

The very first line of the tp2 was BACKUP "UndeadPredator/Backup"

I've looked at other mods tp2 and every single one of them used BACKUP ~ModName/Backup~

So I've changed it and now it is working like a charm.

@CrevsDaak , your guide is telling to use " instead of ~.

Thank you all very much! Specially Crevs, @subtledoctor , @Grammarsalad and @Aquadrizzt