Skip to content

20 Constitution

chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
So I know that once you have 20 con, you start to regenerate hp. However, is this only for warrior classes? Or if, say, my dwarf thief has 20 con, will he regenerate as well?

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Only warriors benefit from a Con higher than 16.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I'm not too sure - I know only Fighters benefit from the high HP gains of 16+ Con but I couldn't say for sure that regen is a fighter only benefit. Something worth checking in game.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,344
    edited November 2012
    Post edited by Shin on
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    As far as I know, regeneration from high constitution is gained by all classes. Fighter classes get more health above 16 constitution, while other classes don't. Furthermore, a constitution superior than 16 will ensure better saving throws for the "shorties" (dwarves, halflings and gnomes), fighters or non-fighters.

Dwarven thieves with 20 constitution should DEFINITELY regenerate then :)
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208

As far as I know, regeneration from high constitution is gained by all classes. Fighter classes get more health above 16 constitution, while other classes don't. Furthermore, a constitution superior than 16 will ensure better saving throws for the "shorties" (dwarves, halflings and gnomes), fighters or non-fighters.

Dwarven thieves with 20 constitution should DEFINITELY regenerate then :)

This is exactly what I was hoping for. When rolling my dwarf thief it was hard to force myself to go above 16 con, but then I thought of the regeneration plus the shorty saving throws (here http://www.playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#.22Shorty.22_Saving_Throws if anyone wants to read themselves) and I realized a dwarf with 20 con might be very much worth it. Thanks for the info guys.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Xavioria said:

So basically you're telling me that Kagain regenerates health...
    Wtf have I been doing with my life?

He sure does, did you never notice that even at end game if you leave an area with him on virtually no HP that by the time you arrive at your destination that he is fully recovered (waylaying aside). Same with sleep, a single nights sleep is enough to fully replenish all of his HP.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308

Xavioria said:

Not being an awesome evil PC, apparently. ;P
    Well, I'm always good/neutral but still try to use as many NPCs as possible. Kagain always tours a bit with me.

Though I wonder if Overhaul will incorporate the 'Give Kagain a legal constitution of 19' tweak/fix I remember from my megamod installations.
    @Tanthalas

Well, it does sound more like a tweak than a fix.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Aliteri

Its basically deemed a special character trait, just like Coran's illegal DEX, Minsc's illegal Ranger requirements or Aerie's illegal Cleric/Mage multi-class.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,063
    Aerie is not actually illegal, her race is just not included in the game.
    I don't think Avariel get any special multi-class choices in comparison with other elves, but its not like I know everything about this subject, so I may be wrong.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    It's a classic case of "NPC gets goodies that PCs do not." But since the NPCs are awesome I do not mind one bit.

IMO, there is nothing illegal about Coran's or Kagain's statistics. The player character can easily find such stat books and use them...I thus don't find it hard to believe NPCs would too!
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Besides what are the bonuses from those "illegal" 20 stats? 5 bonus to all thieving skills and 1 HP regeneration every turn, no? That's... well, not plenty XD
    http://www.worldofazolin.com/wiki/index.php?title=Avariel
    "Common multiclass combinations include fighter/cleric, cleric/ranger, and cleric/wizard."
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Thats why the Keeper programs existed...to create Charname with "Character traits" ;)

Besides what are the bonuses from those "illegal" 20 stats? 5 bonus to all thieving skills and 1 HP regeneration every turn, no? That's... well, not plenty XD

Don't forget the huge bonus Anomen gets out of his illegally low wisdom!

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    edited August 2012
    holy shit, i've been playing BG1/2 since they came out and never knew that >19 CON gave regen. Is this in BG1 as well? What is the HP/min, and does it scale with CON?

EDIT: for those interested, found the answer:

A Con of 20 regenerates 1 hp/turn.
    A Con of 21 regenerates 2 hp/turn.
    A Con of 22 regenerates 3 hp/turn.
    A Con of 23 regenerates 4 hp/turn.
    A Con of 24 regenerates 5 hp/turn.
    A Con of 25 regenerates 6 hp/turn.

of course: 1 turn = 10 rounds, 1 round = 6 sec (at 30 FPS, set via config). Anyone know if the 'round' time changes if you change the FPS? I assume it does, since the game plays 'faster'.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    edited August 2012
    "Avariel can become fighters (not rangers or paladins), mages, and clerics, as well as
    the multiclass combinations available to these three. There are no recorded instances of
    avariel rogues."

Quoted straight from the avariel section in Accessory 2131 "Complete Book of Elves"
    edited August 2012

Thats why the Keeper programs existed...to create Charname with "Character traits" ;)

And before that we had the infinite stat rolling initiative.

• immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Aliteri said:

And before that we had the infinite stat rolling initiative.

And before that we talked to our friend the Dm, described the character we wanted to play/create and they either allowed it or disallowed it :) We created whole new races in our games :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2012
    Xavioria said:

Yup. It's okay, lots of people overlook that and tell me he's a crappy fighter. I'm like ... sure thing buddy hahaha

Hey I'll agree Coran's 20 Dex isn't that helpful but Kagain's 20 Con is incredibly useful. 15 HP per level up, and then he regenerates all his health upon traveling and sleeping. Awesome.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    Yeah Kagain can be useful. If you have magic items (like Gauntlets of Ogre Power, or Bracers of Dexterity, or even a Strength spell) he has the potential to be amazing. I think the real reasons Kagain never caught on were:
    1. He's in an obscure place. The best NPCs are placed in locations almost impossible to miss.
    2. His 'quest' was confusing and hard for players to complete.
    3. His voice set just wasn't that funny.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    Kagain always sounded more like droopy to me, and I love his portrait. The only reason why he didn't stay in my party for very long is because I always end the game with the same people. I think the next time around, I'm definitely going to pick him up.
    Silence said:

Well, the quest was pretty easy to complete (zone to the area above Beregost, lol), the confusing part was how it ended so suddenly without you actually doing anything.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Silence said:

Yeah Kagain can be useful. If you have magic items (like Gauntlets of Ogre Power, or Bracers of Dexterity, or even a Strength spell) he has the potential to be amazing. I think the real reasons Kagain never caught on were:
    1. He's in an obscure place. The best NPCs are placed in locations almost impossible to miss.
    3. His voice set just wasn't that funny.

1. I totally agree that was a big problem for him. A lot of people wouldn't really find him. I found him once by pure chance and happened to memorize the location first time around so I was good. I didn't know about Skie or Alora until very recently, so there you go.
    2. Not hard, but very confusing I'll agree.
    3. To each their own there. Take me, I think Minsc is completely unfunny, others find him downright hilarious. Kagain, I find him slightly amusing. But his voice actor does not annoy me one bit, so even once the funniness has worn off it's all good. He sounds very chill which is a nice change of pace from some others.