Skip to content

20 Constitution

12346»

Comments

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438

Where do you draw the line of PnP and video game? Some things obviously cannot be put into the game and some things had to be changed. However, something like regeneration is neither restricted by being a video game nor being held back by non-interoperability.

If the rest of the included CON bonuses follow PnP, why is regeneration different?

We're simply taking different lessons from this--they knew the PnP rules, implemented them consistently throughout the table, and then did not follow them for regeneration, despite no technical hurdles to do so. Occam's razor suggests the devs chose different values for regeneration rates. The main reason I ignore PnP rules w.r.t. BG/BG2 is because the original developers ignored PnP rules.

That's not to say this shouldn't be changed, just that the argument that it breaks from PnP carries no weight.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012

because in pnp, during a turn only one minute passes, and a nice 60 turns would be one hours in game... in BG, time goes by much more quickly according to the clock in the corner, so I guess this is why they sped up CON-based regeneration.

Understood, but as you pointed out the time in the game is already accelerated, which accelerates the Turn time in game. Then by accelerating the regen again you're compounding the issue.

Regeneration in game isn't based on Turns or Rounds anyways, it's based on a fixed amount of seconds.

If you set BG to PnP rules for regeneration, that would be 1 HP every 6 real minutes @ 20 Con. and 1HP every real minute @ 25 Con.

In 6 real life minutes (1 HP regen @ 20 CON BG), 6 turns would pass in PnP (1 HP regen @ 20 CON PnP)

So unless I'm doing the math wrong, in BG your HP regens @ 6x the rate that it would in PnP. Is there a good reason for this? If the reason is "because it's a video game" ... then we can apply that rule to everything and make nothing follow the rules which the game was based on.
    CamDawg said:

The main reason I ignore PnP rules w.r.t. BG/BG2 is because the original developers ignored PnP rules.

That's not to say this shouldn't be changed, just that the argument that it breaks from PnP carries no weight.

Then why have rules to begin with, or why not change everything?

If saying that it should be fixed because it breaks PnP has no weight, then saying it's OK to break the rules because developers broke the rules has no weight either, because they are the same concepts with different ends.

You and others spent a lot of time fixing spell bugs in the game. I say, why did you fix them if not for any reason other than they were not properly implemented from the PnP rules? Who's to say said "bugs" were not intentional as your Occam's razor law suggest?

I really cannot respect you're statement that if something in game doesn't follow PnP, that alone is no reason to fix it. Your bugfixes for this game has demonstrated quite the opposite.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on