Skip to content

20 Constitution

Comments

• SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Sounds like you have your answer:
    Halfling Assassin
    Elven Stalker

Halfling Assassin hooking up with Dorn sounds adorable.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566

Halfling Assassin hooking up with Dorn sounds adorable.

A tiny halfing sociopath with a huge half orc sociopath.
    The images! I need to wash my brain with soap!
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I would go with a Elven Assassin. Trust me, you use them tomes and you're like ... 19 Strength, 18 Constitution, 20 Dexterity. It's pretty sexy. So you're formidable in melee combat with a 19 Strength and your 20 Dexterity means your Elf will be absolutely beast with bows, even as a "lowly" thief.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I vote halflings. You won't feel like you'd be doing yourself a disservice by using weapons other than longswords, you'll end up with the same strength eventually through strength belts/gloves (meaning you can start with 15 even and not really feel the effects of having a lower strength), and you get halfling saving throws and bonuses to thievery.

If you were doing a fighter/thief, then maybe I'd say go with the elf.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    I'm looking at the BGEE manual and see 20 constitution listed but with no reference to HP regen. Before bugging it, I want to verify with you, in BG2 do all characters regen with 20+ constitution or is it just specially coded in game for npc's that have it?
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited November 2012
    @bigdogchris
    I can confirm having characters with 20 CON that regenerated in the same manner Kagain does - perhaps it was removed for BGEE?
    It was not mentioned even in the originals though, that I remember. I think it should be added :)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    Do you want me to add it to the manual list?
    edited November 2012
    elminster said:

I have a bug list on page 6 in your thread that mentions it, as well several other things.

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited November 2012

elminster said:

I have a bug list on page 6 in your thread that mentions it, as well several other things.

Ohh ok sorry I hadn't gotten around to that posting yet.
    edited November 2012
    @decado

Do you know anything about characters gaining +1 saving throw vs poison for having 20+ con? Is it in BG2?
    @bigdogchris
    Not as far as I can tell. I just tested and a level 1 fighter has a save of 14 vs Poison. I shadowkeepered his CON to 20 and it's still set to 14. I also levelled him up just in case it was a bonus which is recalculated at level up and that made no difference, still 14.

There is no info in the character sheet to suggest +1 vs poison. It may be a hidden bonus but it's not one I can see.
    OK thanks, I did mention the HP regen thing in the manual bug forum. hopefully it gets added. Thanks!
    edited November 2012
    @decado

Is the HP regen for 20+ Constitution Fighter only? Is it per round or per turn? (I think in game and PnP are different).

We are working on manual corrections atm so we're trying to take note of these types of things.
    I believe all classes can get this.

I think it is 1 per turn, this equates to 1 HP per real time minute. I'll need to check this when I'm at home though.
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    agris said:

holy shit, i've been playing BG1/2 since they came out and never knew that >19 CON gave regen. Is this in BG1 as well? What is the HP/min, and does it scale with CON?

EDIT: for those interested, found the answer:

A Con of 20 regenerates 1 hp/turn.
    A Con of 21 regenerates 2 hp/turn.
    A Con of 22 regenerates 3 hp/turn.
    A Con of 23 regenerates 4 hp/turn.
    A Con of 24 regenerates 5 hp/turn.
    A Con of 25 regenerates 6 hp/turn.

of course: 1 turn = 10 rounds, 1 round = 6 sec (at 30 FPS, set via config). Anyone know if the 'round' time changes if you change the FPS? I assume it does, since the game plays 'faster'.

i think you got it backwards... with 20 CON, you regenerate 1 hp/6 turns. with 21, 1 hp/5 turn, with 22 1 hp/4 turn, etc, up to 25, where you finally get 1 hp/turn.

agris said:

holy shit, i've been playing BG1/2 since they came out and never knew that >19 CON gave regen. Is this in BG1 as well? What is the HP/min, and does it scale with CON?

of course: 1 turn = 10 rounds, 1 round = 6 sec (at 30 FPS, set via config). Anyone know if the 'round' time changes if you change the FPS? I assume it does, since the game plays 'faster'.

i think you got it backwards... with 20 CON, you regenerate 1 hp/6 turns. with 21, 1 hp/5 turn, with 22 1 hp/4 turn, etc, up to 25, where you finally get 1 hp/turn.
    Is that PnP or in game?

agris said:

Is that PnP or in game?

in game. Kagain regenerates really goddamn slow, you'll probably only see any kind of major effect when resting or traveling between areas - 1 hp/turn would be ridiculously op.
  • AlexDeLargeAlexDeLarge Member Posts: 273
    There's some relatively clueless people in here, namely the ones who seem to be convinced Minsc is a better fighter/tank than Korgan. WHAT? Korgan shits on Minsc in every conceivable way. In fact he is the best fighter in the entire saga, better than Sarevok even, thanks to his godly berserk ability (which doesn't turn him against your own party, unlike the functional retard ranger), super constitution and his amazing weapon proficiencies (axe of the unyielding + crom faeyr = absolute devastation). If you build him properly, he will have 25 str, 18 dex, 19 or 20 con by the end. Plus he is a dwarf and gets all the shawty bonuses.

And regarding the power of good vs evil npc's, evil ones win it by a huge margin, especially in BG2.

Edwin is the best mage in the game, much stronger than even a min max mainchar mage could be (probably only a perfect Sorceror comes close).

Viconia is a cleric with max wisdom, dexterity, and a whooping 65 magic res (you can get it up to 100 if you wear the Human Flesh and some other items). Because of this godly magic res that makes her virtually untouchable by spells, she plays a key role in the hard fights to dispel all the debuffs that your enemies use on your party.

Korgan i've already mentioned, and i think everyone knows the power of Sarevok.
    edited November 2012
    @DinsdalePiranha
    I just confirmed in the 2nd Edition Manual
    20 Con = 1HP\6 turns
    25 Con = 1HP\1 turn

What about in Baldur's Gate?

Please see my below post.
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
    edited November 2012
    Alright, i just found this quote from @CamDawg on Boards o' Magick. Maybe he can update us.
    Yes, regeneration starts at 20 constitution. hpconbon.2da controls the rate, but it's a bit unclear as to what the quoted rate actually translates to. I believe at 20 you regenerate 1hp/60 seconds, at 21 it's 1hp/50 seconds, etc. up to 1 hp/10 seconds at 25.
    If that is true, no wonder we're all confused. BG uses its own system ...

2DA V1.0
    OTHER WARRIOR MIN_ROLL REGENERATION_RATE
    1 -3 -3 1 0
    2 -2 -2 1 0
    3 -2 -2 1 0
    4 -1 -1 1 0
    5 -1 -1 1 0
    6 -1 -1 1 0
    7 0 0 1 0
    8 0 0 1 0
    9 0 0 1 0
    10 0 0 1 0
    11 0 0 1 0
    12 0 0 1 0
    13 0 0 1 0
    14 0 0 1 0
    15 1 1 1 0
    16 2 2 1 0
    17 2 3 1 0
    18 2 4 1 0
    19 2 5 1 0
    20 2 5 2 60
    21 2 6 3 50
    22 2 6 3 40
    23 2 6 4 30
    24 2 7 4 20
    25 2 7 4 10
    From another site

VANILLA NUMBERS:
    All values of CON < 20 : No Regen.
    20: 1 hp/60 sec (1 hp/turn)
    21: 1 hp/50 sec
    22: 1 hp/40 sec
    23: 1 hp/30 sec (1 hp/5 rounds)
    24: 1 hp/20 sec
    25: 1 hp/10 sec
    If Baldur's Gate were to follow PnP

REGENERATION_RATE should be

Con:
    20 = 360
    21 = 300
    22 = 240
    23 = 180
    24 = 120
    25 = 60

Should we bug this?
    Post edited by bigdogchris on
    @bigdogchris: gonna test this out tonight, I might have been wrong with the 1 hp/6 turns. although... even with 1 hp/60 sec is ridiculously low, it would take nearly a full hour for a lvl 4 warrior to regenerate from 1 hp to max - a clearly remember I chose Yeslick as my frontliner instead of Kagain for this very reason, his healing beat out regeneration every step of the way. (plus going with 19-20 str when buffed with strength and DUHM certainly helps)
    1 every 60 seconds = 1 every 10 rounds. BG treats 6 seconds as a round.
    edited November 2012
    decado said:

1 every 60 seconds = 1 every 10 rounds. BG treats 6 seconds as a round.

Yes, but look at the .2DA from BG. At 25 it is listed as 10. Is that 10 second or 1.0 rounds? From another thread, Cam and someone else said it's seconds.

tested it out, bigdogchris' numbers are correct, it's 1 hp every 60 seconds (30, if you're playing with 60 FPS) at 20 CON, going all the way up to 1 hp/10 seconds at 25 CON.
    edited November 2012

tested it out, bigdogchris' numbers are correct, it's 1 hp every 60 seconds (30, if you're playing with 60 FPS) at 20 CON, going all the way up to 1 hp/10 seconds at 25 CON.

I appreciate you doing that. Cam's interpretation was right.

That said, the regeneration rate is 6x faster than PnP. The question remains, should it be changed to PnP rules? I always felt regeneration items in BG2 were way overpowered ...

• CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    My first response is that BG is not PnP, so what the source books say really isn't relevant.

Next, those regen rates are 1 hp per X seconds.
  • WulfyWulfy Member Posts: 32

Hah, I actually did an evil playthrough where I intentionally assembled and kept the Wave Halberd with him in mind, as something to tide him over until the Ravager appears.

Heh. I see what you did there. The Wave to "tide" him over? Nice. :D
    edited November 2012
    CamDawg said:

My first response is that BG is not PnP, so what the source books say really isn't relevant.

Agreed, and thank you for the confirmation.

Where do you draw the line of PnP and video game? Some things obviously cannot be put into the game and some things had to be changed. However, something like regeneration is neither restricted by being a video game nor being held back by non-interoperability.

If the rest of the included CON bonuses follow PnP, why is regeneration different?

CamDawg said:

Agreed, and thank you for the confirmation.

Where do you draw the line of PnP and video game? Some things obviously cannot be put into the game and some things had to be changed. However, something like regeneration is neither restricted by being a video game nor being held back by non-interoperability.

If the rest of the included CON bonuses follow PnP, why is regeneration different?

because in pnp, during a turn only one minute passes, and a nice 60 turns would be one hours in game... in BG, time goes by much more quickly according to the clock in the corner, so I guess this is why they sped up CON-based regeneration.