Skip to content

20 Constitution

Comments

• SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    @Humanoid_Taifun: I think he knows. I think he's more commenting that Coran doesn't do much damage in melee on his own. :)

@Quartz: Minsc has 16 DEX/CON in BG2 and in mods of BG1. In vanilla, he had 15 DEX/15 CON.

@sandmanCCL: If you get to Shar-teel early, or you mod her proficiencies, I totally agree with you. Otherwise it takes work to get her those two pips in bows, as Quartz said.

Viconia in BG2/BG1tutu is much more powerful than her vanilla incarnation. In vanilla, her magic resistance did not discriminate between 'positive' and 'negative' spells. So while Viconia could resist a magic missile, she could also resist a Cure Light Wounds or a Strength spell. This made her an annoying character in the vanilla. But I can see your argument as to why Viconia has the edge in BG1tutu.

As for thieves, I can see Montaron being useful. I always felt Imoen was better because I prefer thieves as archers. Monty's HP really makes me lack confidence in his tanking. :(

I guess my point is that it is really close, at least in the vanilla game. With minor tweaking, I think the advantage favours evil.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited August 2012
    Silence said:

@Humanoid_Taifun: I think he knows. I think he's more commenting that Coran doesn't do much damage in melee on his own. :)

I was thinking of BG2, where you have to have an 18 strength to fire a Composite. Oopsie.
    Silence said:

@Quartz: Minsc has 16 DEX/CON in BG2 and in mods of BG1. In vanilla, he had 15 DEX/15 CON.

MY BG1 isn't modded. D: I have ToTSC, maybe they buffed it there, or maybe I'm crazy. I don't really care, because I despise Minsc as a character and I only think he's decent to play, so I hardly want to defend him.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Quartz said:

Silence said:

I was thinking of BG2, where you have to have an 18 strength to fire a Composite. Oopsie.
    Silence said:

MY BG1 isn't modded. D: I have ToTSC, maybe they buffed it there, or maybe I'm crazy. I don't really care, because I despise Minsc as a character and I only think he's decent to play, so I hardly want to defend him.
    ...What is this heresy?

Quartz said:

Silence said:

Silence said:

...What is this heresy?
    I think it mostly has to do with 1. I don't enjoy him, which leaves me with a neutral stand-point, and then 2. everyone else acts like he is the best character ever in the history ever, and that leaves me sick to my stomach. :)
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Quartz I don't know if I'd say he's the best character ever (I mean there IS Garrus in the mass effect games). But I always found Minsc rather humorous in his own way. Not to mention we all know Minsc was just shell that Boo used to tell us how awesome he was.
    I wasn't gaga for Minsc either, but I understand his appeal. He's the comic relief in a dark and bloody world. Or maybe it's more then that. We had "why do you hate Khalid thread" we should have a "why do you like Minsc thread."

I personally was sad more of the BG1 characters did not survive to BG2. Coran and Kivan both could have been great.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Quartz said:

Kagain. He regenerates. He has a ton of hit points. I completely agree that other characters can tank; Minsc, Shar-Teel, Khalid, Ajantis; but from all my experimenting, he *does it best.* Yes, better than your precious little Minsc. On the contrary, come BG2 Minsc kicks the @#%$ out of Korgan. But Korgan sucks, so no bitterness here.

Man I love me some Minsc but he doesn't even compare to Korgan. To start, Korgan's got slightly better stats. That's not a huge deal, aside from the non-trivial HP bonus from 19 CON, but he's also got GM (a real potential in BG2) and those huge Dwarf saving throws, on top of the Enrage ability (I'm assuming Minsc's is similar to what the Berserker gets, I don't think a description of Minsc's is ever given).

As far as personalities go, Minsc is more enjoyable. But man, he doesn't even match up to Korgan.

And why all the hate for Xzar? The man's got some decent stats (16 DEX is some nice extra AC and 17 INT makes him a great spellcaster) and really the only thing I can think of to hold against him is that he's not as good as Edwin. While his stats are inferior to Xan's, numbers don't matter too much for Mages and the fact that his school is less restrictive makes him a better mage than both Xan and Dynaheir IMHO (living without Illusion is easier than living without Conjuration or Evocation).

In reality, I would say that the edge Xzar has over Xan and Dynaheir is negligible, but it's there, so I don't get the dislike for him.
    @MilesBeyond Except that mirror image has always been an amazing spell in the BG games

@MilesBeyond Except that mirror image has always been an amazing spell in the BG games

So has Fireball, Flame Arrow, Magic Missile, Monster Summoning (well, back before the summon limit LOL), etc. I agree that living without Mirror Image is a pain, but it's nothing worse, IMHO, than what Xan and Dyna have to endure.

At least they all still get Stoneskin, lol

Really, most of the handy Illusion spells are level 1 and 2. Spook, Reflect Image, Blindness, Blur, Mirror Image, Invisibility... But with fun things like Magic Missile, Sleep, Chromatic Orb, Colour Spray, Melf's Acid Arrow, Horror, Stinking Cloud, Agannazar's Scorcher, and Strength still available, you won't miss them TOO much. Past level 2? No real losses.

Now, in BG2, it'd be a different story, but since Project Image and Simulacrum probably won't see much use in BG1, Necromancers aren't too shabby at all.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Quartz said:

I think it mostly has to do with 1. I don't enjoy him, which leaves me with a neutral stand-point, and then 2. everyone else acts like he is the best character ever in the history ever, and that leaves me sick to my stomach. :)

I'm...confused. I don't understand how you can dislike Minsc and Korgan. Explain.
    edited August 2012

And why all the hate for Xzar? The man's got some decent stats (16 DEX is some nice extra AC and 17 INT makes him a great spellcaster) and really the only thing I can think of to hold against him is that he's not as good as Edwin. While his stats are inferior to Xan's, numbers don't matter too much for Mages and the fact that his school is less restrictive makes him a better mage than both Xan and Dynaheir IMHO (living without Illusion is easier than living without Conjuration or Evocation).

In reality, I would say that the edge Xzar has over Xan and Dynaheir is negligible, but it's there, so I don't get the dislike for him.

Xzar is hilarious, and yeah he's not bad. I really enjoy his awesome ability to dual-class if you give him Tomes. You know, either Dex or Wis and you can make him a Thief or Cleric. Pretty spiffy! Makes a better Mage/Cleric than Quayle ever did.

And I agree that his opposition school, while a bit sad, isn't the end of the world. Not like Xan. I like Xan, but let's face it, if you pick him up you had better have another spellcaster or a Bard who can bring up the Evocation. So he's totally manageable, and he encourages you to experiment, but he can't hold his own as the only mage very well.

And Dynaheir ... yes, blech. She is awful.

I'm...confused. I don't understand how you can dislike Minsc and Korgan. Explain.

Minsc just grows old on me. He is decently amusing, but that "dumb but heroic and lovable" personality has been done a lot, to the point where it's almost sort of a cliché. I definitely like him a lot more in BG2 than BG1; he got stat buffs and his voice acting was far more suited to his personality. In BG1, he sounded too gruff for his silliness. Others may like that, and that's legitimate; I just didn't. He's always shouting at you and sometimes he's just too oblivious for my liking. Oh, and then there's Boo. While the "giant miniature space hamster" thing is amusing, and definitely something someone who had taken a few blows to the head would say, it too grows old. Especially when people make the same jokes over and over again about Boo. And honestly, people are totally allowed to think that's funny. I have no quarrel with that. But, you asked me, so I'm letting you know.
    So overall, I'm rather neutral about him. But after being subject to people going Minsc this, Minsc that (or worse; Boo this, Boo that) when they could add something more engaging or interesting to a thread, it just tires me. Again, I'm cool with people liking him, but mass amounts of people loving him and obsessing over him has caused me to hate him. *Shrug* I'm too contrary of a person sometimes, I know.

Disliking Korgan mostly has to do with bitterness. Since they are both dwarven warriors, and both have absurd Constitutions, Korgan and Kagain are very frequently compared (even confused with one another, haha!). A lot of people seem to favor Korgan for his personality, which irks me because I just love Kagain's personality, and playing him is a blast for me. It makes me sad that Kagain was so blatantly replaced, when they could've simply continued Kagain's existence into BG2. That would've been nice.

Any time I have tried to pick up Korgan, he has started all manner of fights in the party, even to the point of attacking my PC on one occasion because I dared to tell him that he wasn't some sort of incredible, amazing warrior. My PC wasn't about to tell him he was awesome, and so I have to ... kill him? Uhh, what? That both baffled and amused me. So I have always had to boot him out, because as per my roleplaying my PC has been protective of Aerie, Viconia, or him/herself. In short, I have not had a ton of experience with him. I understand he's a pretty formidable warrior though, it's very interesting seeing people say that on here so I may have to ATTEMPT to experiment with him more. For the fourth time. >_>
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    @Silence: I thought they fixed the magic resist negating buff/healing spells in TotSC? I recall it was that way in vanilla and it made her a liability.

I don't quite get all this Xan hate. I've always loved Xan. He's easily one of the best buff targets in the game. Ever have him guzzle a strength potion and watched him wreck faces off in melee? Yeah he's got HP issues but you can turn any mage with level 4 spells near invincible between stoneskin and mirror image.

I mostly use my wizards as buffers, honestly. Fireballs are handy when there's a lot of weak creatures and you want to take them out quickly, but I can live without it.

The only spells you really lose out on are:

-Magic Missile. Not that big a deal because Sleep is a better spell for 3/4ths of the game and you can still use Larloch's Minor Drain to good effect seeing as how he often finds himself using that Moonblade to good effect

-Web. Admittedly a big loss as Web is easily the best level 2 spell. BUT you can make better use of Blur than most wizards on Xan, or can just load up on Invisibility spells to quickly run in and out of battle. Or help your teammates do that.

-Fireball/Lightning Bolt. Never really considered losing them a big deal, because wands. I am a wand fiend. You guys have no idea. I spend pretty much all my gold in the game on wands, because wands. Also, Skull Trap is pretty much just as good as an AOE spell plus you can kite enemies into it. AND you still have Flame Arrow if you need raw damage, but it is only against a single target so that kind of sucks.

-No level 4 spells. There is not a single evocation for that level at least in vanilla. If they add in BG2 spells, losing out on Minor Sequencer kind of sucks, but not really because you won't have magic missiles to really make use of it anyway, and fireshield while nice is not really the most important 4th level spell out there.

-Cloudkill. Yes, a big loss here. But animate dead, monster summon 3, or domination are all pretty awesome spells in and of their own right.

Yes, invocations are good. Yes, losing out on them is a bummer. No, it's really not that big a deal. People get caught up in the belief that Fireball is just the greatest thing since sliced bread without realizing there's a necromancy spell OF THE SAME LEVEL that basically serves the same function, AND you can just use wands to supplement your inability to cast it from memory.

Personally I hope Xan is playable in BG2. Just imaging going to town on things with his Moonblade after casting Tenser's Transformation.
    Quartz said:

Any time I have tried to pick up Korgan, he has started all manner of fights in the party, even to the point of attacking my PC on one occasion because I dared to tell him that he wasn't some sort of incredible, amazing warrior. My PC wasn't about to tell him he was awesome, and so I have to ... kill him? Uhh, what? That both baffled and amused me. So I have always had to boot him out, because as per my roleplaying my PC has been protective of Aerie, Viconia, or him/herself. In short, I have not had a ton of experience with him. I understand he's a pretty formidable warrior though, it's very interesting seeing people say that on here so I may have to ATTEMPT to experiment with him more. For the fourth time. >_>

But that's his ineffable charm! He hates almost everyone! Watching him pick on Aerie is always a joy.

If you're wondering, he does seem to get along well with other diminutive people. IIRC Korgan likes Jan (he thinks he's hilarious) and he and Mazzy have a very healthy respect for one another that almost borders on camaraderie.
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,063
    @MilesBeyond On the subject of Minsc vs Korgan.
    Don't forget that Minsc has up to 65% innate physical resistance. With the Defender of Easthaven, that's 85%. Yes, Korgan is stronger and all, but so long as this resistance is not dispelled, Minsc will be the better tank.
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    @Quarts SO you hate what everyone else loves...so your like the hipster of our community :P

<.< Got any Edwin issues? better yet, do you like Anomen because everyone else hates him? >.>
    Which mage is best probably depends more on your playstyle. Barring Edwin, all mages are close in ability.

If you're a high-damage, micro-management type of player, then you prefer a mage like Dynaheir. All you really care about is magic missile.

If you're more of a controller and strategist, someone like Xan is great. Hold person is a wonderful spell. I strongly prefer it to charm spells. Despite his whining, his good CHA score makes him a decent party leader.

It might be important to distinguish between vanilla BG and BGtutu/BGT. In the former, spells like stoneskin aren't available. :(
    @LordsDarkKnight185

The only reason I dislike Anomen as a character is because he's such a blatant misogynist. It really drives me insane. But usually I take him along (repeatedly putting him back in his place) because I enjoy his banter with Keldorn.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    I find it hilarious that this discussion was initially named "20 constitution". :)
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615

@LordsDarkKnight185

The only reason I dislike Anomen as a character is because he's such a blatant misogynist. It really drives me insane. But usually I take him along (repeatedly putting him back in his place) because I enjoy his banter with Keldorn.

please dont get me wrong, i HEAVILY dislike Anomen for the exact same reasons, i was simply being a smartass.

@Quarts SO you hate what everyone else loves...so your like the hipster of our community :P

<.< Got any Edwin issues? better yet, do you like Anomen because everyone else hates him? >.>

>Edwin's awesome. Anomen is alright, I'm fairly neutral on him. He's a very believable, very human character and I like that. But I mean, of course he gets on my nerves a little, like everyone else; he's supposed to.
    please dont get me wrong, i HEAVILY dislike Anomen for the exact same reasons, i was simply being a smartass.
    Yes, yes you were. And for all that you can't even spell my disgustingly simple username correctly. Ahh well.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Quartz Maybe he thinks you are full of something... liquid? Milk, perhaps?
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Anomen is pretty funny. But i didnt like his mistrust. You know what they say "With enemies you know where they stand but with Neutrals, who knows? It sickens me" So i kicked him.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Anomen from a meta-gaming standpoint is incredible. Easily the best tank in BG2 because while he lacks Korgan's saving throws, he makes up for it in self-buffs. His stats are borderline perfect once he gets knighted, too.

He's also voiced by Rob Paulsen, so he gets mad cred from me for that fact alone. Maybe I should mod it so Anomen yells "Narf!" on crits?

@Silence: Coran IS in Baldur's Gate 2. If I recall, Safana kills him as part of a werewolf plot in one of the un-named areas that open up after you get out of the Underdark.

Also I don't believe Kivan is mentioned in Baldur's Gate 2 at all. Considering they didn't exactly finish his questline in BG1 vanilla, I'd love it for the BG:EE team to finish his quest proper-like and then make it tie into having him at least make a cameo in BG2.

He's also voiced by Rob Paulsen, so he gets mad cred from me for that fact alone. Maybe I should mod it so Anomen yells "Narf!" on crits?

ROFL, well played sir.

@Silence: Coran IS in Baldur's Gate 2. If I recall, Safana kills him as part of a werewolf plot in one of the un-named areas that open up after you get out of the Underdark.

This is correct. I like to pretend that doesn't happen because it seems really stupid and OOC. (out-of-character ... they both act nothing like their characters in that awful cameo)

Also I don't believe Kivan is mentioned in Baldur's Gate 2 at all. Considering they didn't exactly finish his questline in BG1 vanilla, I'd love it for the BG:EE team to finish his quest proper-like and then make it tie into having him at least make a cameo in BG2.

Yeah, if only, yeesh. It would be perfect, too; he's finally finished his revenge so he could begin coming out of his shell again and be a more friendly fellow, slowly of course but yeah. There is a ton of room to expand his character, I was soooo sad he wasn't in BGII, it seemed like a perfect choice.

Easily the best tank in BG2

Personally, I prefer to use people for this position who have arcane magic at their disposal.
    Haer'Dalis' only problem as a tank is that enemy mages tend to ignore him since they can't target him.

@Silence: Coran IS in Baldur's Gate 2. If I recall, Safana kills him

You mean you didn't save him?
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    huh why cant mages target Haer'Dalis, he does have a lot of extras, but being untargetable is not the one i know of.
    edited August 2012
    Improved Invisibility + Spell Immunity: Divination + Spell Immunity: Abjuration foils all spells that require a target*, Dispel Magic and True Seeing.

Note that this is of course unmodded behavior. SCS (2) and Spell Revisions add a little area of effect to most anti-magic spells, so that it's possible to get through this trinity. With SCS the enemy is also smart enough to use them.

*unless the caster can see through invisibility
    edited August 2012
    Anomen's problem is not his stats. He's pompous and degrading.

@SandmanCCL: lol, Coran is in BG2 for like 5 seconds. I meant he is not available as a party member. He isn't even equipped with any items. :( No magic bow off his dead body.

My observation: in BG1, fighter-tanks tend to be most powerful. In BG2, caster-hybrid tanks tend to be most useful, due to the availability of spells like stoneskin, iron skin, draw upon holy might, tenser's transformation, mirror image, etc. etc.....

I do not include improved invisibility in this list. You don't need to be a caster-hybrid to benefit from invisibility as the spell can be cast on you by another mage.
    Post edited by Silence on
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited August 2012
    My half-orc berseker will have 20 CON and 20 STR by the time I get back out of Candlekeep in my BGTutu run. So there!
    edited August 2012

@MilesBeyond On the subject of Minsc vs Korgan.
    Don't forget that Minsc has up to 65% innate physical resistance. With the Defender of Easthaven, that's 85%. Yes, Korgan is stronger and all, but so long as this resistance is not dispelled, Minsc will be the better tank.

Really? What are you talking about? If you're referring to Armor of Faith, that makes sense. But since you said innate, are you talking about some ability he has that I am unaware of?

It wouldn't change my opinion, since spellcasting enemies are far more dangerous, so Korgan still has the edge, but man, that would be cool.

Also, Defender of Easthaven? You need the Pre-order bonus CD for that one, which, I mean, how many people have?