Skip to content

Opinion on Staves?

I'm curious as to the general opinion of the quarterstaff as a weapon. Not for mages but for a fighter or a paladin. Is there anything about it that makes it more worthwhile than a greatsword or longsword?

Comments

• meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Yes. awesome. 5 stars.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    For paladins, as mentioned, Carsomyr is by far the best 2h choice. Not even a question, that weapon is absurd.

As for staves, they are alright. Only 1d6 on a 2h is a bit of a downer, but they do come with a fairly high enchantment level fairly quickly. It's great in BG1, giving you access to a very fast +3 weapon, but in BG2 the lower damage and the 2h nature quickly become an issue.

The remedy, of course, is Staff of the Ram. It has a HUGE static modifier, and is one of the most damaging weapons in the game. It may very well be the best 2h weapon (with the exception of Carsomyr, which is pala/UAI-only). The downside is that you need to be in ToB to craft it, and by then half the game is over; there are staff options for SoA, but despite the quick +4 it's just not very good ones (for damage). As a fighter, investing 5 pips for a sub-par weapon just to eventually get something worthwile in ToB seems a bit of a chore. Sure, SoRam is strong, but not screw-SoA-completely strong. Of course, you could always start off with using something else, and build towards having 2 x 5 pips once ToB rolls around. I could see that, I suppose.

I should also mention that SoRam is the best backstabbing weapon in the game. People tend to overlook the option of backstabbing with staves, it really does work (staves that can be naturally used by thieves anyway; sorry, Staff of the Magi!).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited October 2014
    There are way more casting and casting related staves in BG2 than there are staves focussed on dishing out melee damage.

Summoning staffs include: Staff of Air, Staff of Fire, Staff of Earth, and Staff of the Woodlands

Staffs for casting other spells: Staff of Power, Staff of Curing, Staff of the Magi and the Staff of Thunder and Lightning.

Than of course there is the Staff of Arundel (which grants additional level 5 and 6 druid spells among other things).

Of course some of these staffs do more than one thing. But the point is more that apart from the Staff of Striking and the Staff of the Ram staves tend to focus on doing things other than on-hit damage.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    edited October 2014

Plus, they make great walking sticks. :P

Awesome, that means if you ever visit Edoras, they'll let you keep your weapon!

By the way, what early +3 staff are you guys referring to? The one in Ulgoth's Beard doesn't strike me as especially "early" in BG1. Is there another I'm not aware of?

Oh, and for the record, I despise Clay Golems with a passion, so anything that takes them out quickly gets an endorsement from me.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

Plus, they make great walking sticks. :P

Awesome, that means if you ever visit Edoras, they'll let you keep your weapon!

By the way, what early +3 staff are you guys referring to? The one in Ulgoth's Beard doesn't strike me as especially "early" in BG1. Is there another I'm not aware of?

Oh, and for the record, I despise Clay Golems with a passion, so anything that takes them out quickly gets an endorsement from me.
    I think people do mean th Ulgoth's Beard Staff, and I would indeed call that one an early option: go north from FAI, in the Ankheg area stay close to the water (the beasties won't attack there), and then in the the Bridge to Baldur's Gate area you can continue your way north to unlock Ulgoth's Beard.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

I think people do mean th Ulgoth's Beard Staff, and I would indeed call that one an early option: go north from FAI, in the Ankheg area stay close to the water (the beasties won't attack there), and then in the the Bridge to Baldur's Gate area you can continue your way north to unlock Ulgoth's Beard.

Huh. I thought you couldn't go there until after Cloakwood. Good to know that isn't the case.
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 904
    edited October 2014
    Even a low-enchantment item makes a difference.

Silky drops a +1 staff, which you can get as a level 1 character and it's free!

I like to have a staff as a backup weapon for a warrior that uses a pointy two handed weapon most of the time.

It's rare that I'll make the staff the primary weapon for a warrior (probably because of the low 1d6 damage base), but I always aim to have a blunt option with all characters.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    Klorox said:

I wouldn't go against Silky as a level 1 character. It will drop +1 reload
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I think the real problem with staves is that they are 2h weapons. Which obviously means you can't dual wield them, nor use a shield (very useful in BG1, less so in BG2).

Carsomyr is about the only 2h melee weapon I ever use because it's just that good (and available very early in BG2).
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited October 2014

The +3 staff is pricey, though? It's 2000-5000gp? So you need to save up for the first few levels then buy it with a high CHA character. Also, you may need to run past the Ankheg at the top of the BG Bridge area.

Even so, for a +3 weapon it comes very early in the game! :)

If you go kill Bassilus at level 1 and go cash in the reward at temple (5000 gold iirc). Plus a War Hammer +2 is not too shabby for a *very* easy fight. Gold shouldn't be an issue if you know where to look (Ring of Evermemory is also 9000 gold, and the diamond East of Candle Keep.)
    bengoshi said:

Klorox said:

I wouldn't go against Silky as a level 1 character. It will drop +1 reload
    Definitely not worth it, she is possible to solo at level 1 if you force-talk the crap out of her. Or happen to get a lucky crit. The potion is more useful than the QS+1.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    In SoA you also get the Staff Spear & the Staff Mace, which adds a bit of versatility to your pips. And there's a mod which gives missile staffs for mages... That's quite alot of bang for your buck.
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    Has anyone tried to get around the 2-handed limitation of Staves by also equipping Darts... Seems to me that it should be possible to fire off a dart, pause, switch to Staff and as soon as you see the swing, Pause, switch to Darts... This ought to result in extra APRs !!

That +3Quarterstaff and Greenstone Amulet, plus a certain ring which can be pilfered in the Ulgoth's Beard map, definitely make the place worth an early visit even if it requires some creative RP ideas. But the Staff would largely be an RP choice -imho- for BG1 since Ashideena and a certain awesome Mace are available very early in BGEE without the high GP expense.

But I don't think either of them works for Backstab. Whistling Sword and Dagger of Venom are another matter though. Choice Thief weapons.

Another early cash source if you need to keep "Evermemory" in play are 2 items which can be "liberated" in Beregost: A +1 Bastard Sword [fairly high degree of difficulty] and a Wand of Lightning [Piece-a-cake] . Both of these exploits however should be off-limits, imho, to any NPC of Good Alignment

One of those two locations is clearly an example of something Bioware developers originally imagined to be of a more substantial importance that was never fully developed. Just begging for a Mod quest of some sort...
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Staff is a great weapon choice for any character that can backstab. I prefer to always have a thief that can backstab with pip(s) in staff and 2 handed weapon style.

As soon as speed weapons and improved haste become available 2 handed weapon style falls so far behind without considering a sub par weapon choice. Staves don't have on hit elemental damage to disrupt mages either as far as I'm aware.

I first completed bg2 with a fighter/Mage/thief with proficiency in 2 handed swords and staves. Great for backstabbing with staff and using carsomyr with Mage defences.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    edited October 2014
    My Opinion on Staves:

They provide superb acoustic folk rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvtT8i8rOJY
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    karnor00 said:

I think the real problem with staves is that they are 2h weapons. Which obviously means you can't dual wield them, nor use a shield (very useful in BG1, less so in BG2)..

Dual wielding Quarterstaves, that would be awesome! Get them spinning like propellers. :)
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    kcwise said:

karnor00 said:

I think the real problem with staves is that they are 2h weapons. Which obviously means you can't dual wield them, nor use a shield (very useful in BG1, less so in BG2)..

Dual wielding Quarterstaves, that would be awesome! Get them spinning like propellers. :)
    Maybe Aerie should give it a try.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    bengoshi said:

My Opinion on Staves:

They provide superb acoustic folk rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvtT8i8rOJY

All kidding aside, that is a great song (and video).
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Staves are probably most vicious in the hands of someone like a cleric/thief or a fighter/mage. Multi-purpose and good on damage. Cleric/Thieves would get the benefit of buffed-up backstabs (they have a spell similar to a kensai's Kai ability, in fact), and Fighter/Mages can get all the nice thac0 bonuses on top of simply utilizing the special abilities that many staves have.

Of course, some bold fighters could just go crazy and decide to grandmaster quarterstaves with 2 pips in two-handed weapon fighting, which (without mods), would be your only form of 2h crushing weapons.

Also want to point out that any specialization in BG1 regarding quarterstaves isn't a bad idea, since they are not only the cheapest basic weapon in the game, you do in fact start with a quarterstaff +0.