Skip to content

Drizzt has the Eye of Ra

Greetings

So anyway im having a pop at Drizzt, cheesin a bit using invis potions to block him. He can see straight through that though? really? Lured him to the island where Dorn was eager to mash him up, with Eldoth ready invis blocking half the way, my PC playing bait blocks, pops invis pot, and Drizzt is like "nice trick" wallop, wallop, eldoth and me takin hits.

Felt like a Marvel villain, having my plans destroyed so easily.... :-S

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    It wasn't always thus, I believe he's been upgraded to foil attempts based on that kind of approach.
  • TheGraveDiggerTheGraveDigger Member Posts: 336
    Wow that's cheesy... all the more reason to CTRL+Y him.
  • Cal_ElCal_El Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2014
    no XP for the mighty CTRL +Y though nar?

Anyway rocked him with my party of level 2's and 3's. Monty laid 5 traps(cheddar) then i went in, hasted Dorn, poison weapon, told Drizzt I aint helping, while he busy fighting the Gnolls first we going HAM, and Dorn gets his poison through. Once all Gnolls are dead I back everyone away except my PC(shorty saves) hope he saves against spells... got charmed, so made Dorn lead him to traps... 'Near Death' = Absorb health = Thank you Lord.

Suprised though that my CN F/I could only use one Scimitar though... oh well
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2014
    Shin said:

It wasn't always thus, I believe he's been upgraded to foil attempts based on that kind of approach.

It was done to address this bug

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/26750/drizzt-doesn-t-feel-the-pain
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    What a silly fix though.
    Well as he can see the unseen like an Etheric being I no longer feel like I grated his cheese. Its a bit dodgy though letting him see you invis. Im no technilogical script writer though ....
    Cal_El said:

Anyway rocked him with my party of level 2's and 3's. Monty laid 5 traps(cheddar) then i went in, hasted Dorn, poison weapon, told Drizzt I aint helping, while he busy fighting the Gnolls first we going HAM, and Dorn gets his poison through. Once all Gnolls are dead I back everyone away except my PC(shorty saves) hope he saves against spells... got charmed, so made Dorn lead him to traps... 'Near Death' = Absorb health = Thank you Lord.

Nah, I never really use CTRL+Y unless I'm testing a mod. My usual tactic is a bit like yours, though I usually use more cheddar.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903

Cal_El said:

Nah, I never really use CTRL+Y unless I'm testing a mod. My usual tactic is a bit like yours, though I usually use more cheddar.
    Me too. 7 traps has insta killed him in the fast, not sure about the new Drizz't.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited October 2014
    It's hilarious that a game actually has a fight where the point of the fight is to find a way to cheese it. Whether it's to fake-talk him, kite him, use cheats to instakill him, steal his stuff from him, spam Mirror Image and Stoneskin on a fighter/mage, make him unable to feel the pain, or surround him on all sides with invisible characters so that the gnolls can hit him but he can't hit them (this still works), the battle with Drizzt is very unique to say the least. Too bad you can't do many of these exploits anymore.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Well, IE has many, many cheesey options... cut off one cheese string, and two more take it's place!

realisticly, killing Drizzt with a low level party is silly anyways, so meh.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723

Too bad you can't do many of these exploits anymore.

When we lose Parmesan we still have some Camembert

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i can still kill drizzt with a level 1 party without cheatin' , but of coarse i will not say how because they will find a way to fix that (although mayhaps i might have said before how i do it) luckily for drizzt most of the time i don't proficient myself in his gear since i always import to the 2nd game, and scimitar is kinda a wonky choice for SoA if you are a fighter type, i prefer longswords, axes and katanas
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The only way to make this encounter a non-diary product one is to vastly nerf Drizzt by giving him his official AD&D stats. Never understood why Black Isle didn't do this in the first place. Or even better, remove that abomination & Co. altogether from the games. It's not like the fallen drow encounters added anything useful anyway. Now, if he'd wielded enchanted clubs on the other hand...
  • GeronGeron Member Posts: 16
    You guys want to kill Drizzt??? :O
  • PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Everybody wants to kill Drizzt in this forum :D
    Finding a new way to cheese-kill him is one of the most funny things to do in BG :D
    That's why I like the new see-invisibility skill of Drizzt, soon we'll find a new cheese, and the devs will need to find a new cheese-ability for Drizzt. This will make their work a never-ending job :D
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Geron said:

You guys want to kill Drizzt??? :O

He is a drow. On the surface. Obviously his presence is a precursor to a larger raid on a nearby settlement. Probably Beregost.

By killing this solitary drow scout we surface dwellers inhibit the reconnaissance capability of the forthcoming drow raiders, potentially saving dozens (hundreds?) of surfacer lives.
  • GeronGeron Member Posts: 16
    MERLANCE said:

He is a drow. On the surface. Obviously his presence is a precursor to a larger raid on a nearby settlement. Probably Beregost.

By killing this solitary drow scout we surface dwellers inhibit the reconnaissance capability of the forthcoming drow raiders, potentially saving dozens (hundreds?) of surfacer lives.

See, i'm a monk, so i try to avoid violence whenever it's possible. I often cast sleep, web and friendship at first and try to leave the scene without harming anyone or anything. It's not always possible but it's what a true monk does.

I even finished the Tazok mission without touching anyone. Might've lost many xps and items that way, but it puts my mind at ease.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Geron said:

MERLANCE said:

See, i'm a monk, so i try to avoid violence whenever it's possible. I often cast sleep, web and friendship at first and try to leave the scene without harming anyone or anything. It's not always possible but it's what a true monk does.

I even finished the Tazok mission without touching anyone. Might've lost many xps and items that way, but it puts my mind at ease.
    Does not compute. It's like you're dreaming of gorgonzola when it's clearly brie time baby. Brie time.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    bengoshi said:

Baldur's Gate fans. Killing Drizzt since November, 30, 1998.

21 December... 26 in my case ;-)
    kcwise said:

While the changes to Drizzt were made for non story reasons, in this case I think it makes more sense rather than less. For one, Drizzt is trained to fight completely blind using his other senses. Just because someone is invisible doesn't mean they are silent as well. Second, do you really think anyone would bump into an invisible person and then... just stand there while someone on the other side fills them with arrows and spells? Don't you think it more likely that just about anyone would start smacking the invisible obstacle in their way? Or at the very least shove their way through?

I think it would be more fun if Drizzt's abilities and weaknesses were random. Sometimes he's invincible, sometimes he is as vulnerable as in the vanilla game, and sometimes he drops NWN hellballs on any who dare attack him. Mix it up, give the players variety with their assassination fun!

So on one hand give him something that makes sense... and then something that don't? Like being invincible? lol would be interesting though, wailing on Drizzt near death for eternity while each member gets put into a grey portrait of doom plus a decaying hand....
    Taken from the Forgotten Realms wiki...

"The Hunter

On relatively rare occasions, Drizzt regressed into a bestial and instinctive state of mind that he identified as the "Hunter". The first time this happened was after Drizzt had fled from Menzoberranzan and was living in the wilds of the Underdark. For those ten years, he came close to being completely overwhelmed by this animalistic personality, but began learning to master it when he came close to harming some svirfneblin children. In the heat of battle, when his friends seemed to be in great danger or when he was alone in the wilderness, Drizzt would occasionally lose control over himself or give in to the urges of the Hunter, such as when he went back to his homeland to prevent harm from coming to his friends. Another example was when, during the war with King Obould Many-Arrows and his horde of orcs, Drizzt had thought Bruenor dead, and wasn't certain if his other friends were alive.

When Drizzt was the Hunter, he reached his physical apex, his skills honed to their utmost peak. His scimitars were like extensions of his own arms, and his senses were heightened beyond their normal capacity."
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    kcwise said:

Second, do you really think anyone would bump into an invisible person and then... just stand there while someone on the other side fills them with arrows and spells? Don't you think it more likely that just about anyone would start smacking the invisible obstacle in their way? Or at the very least shove their way through?

More likely is that all those invisible people would form a helpful human shield against any arrows/spells which might otherwise hit Drizzt :)