Skip to content

Imoen Romance V3.0 Release

Comments

• amberCoffeeCatamberCoffeeCat Member Posts: 90
    You're doing okay. It most certainly DOES continue in ToB, so don't worry. You and Imoen just enjoy some relative tranquility for now :-)
  • munimuni Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

I have a situation of sorts with v4.0. Despite getting it on with Aerie and staying just friends with Imoen in SoA, something starts brewing between the two of them in ToB regardless. I'm near the end of it - when they consider making a Wish - and it just looks inconsistent with Aerie's lovetalks.

I've looked into dialogues/TOB/ImoenAerie/ImoenAerie.d and to my understanding, there is no way out of it starting to develop in such situation, which breaks immersion a fair bit. Am I correct or maybe something went wrong?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    something bugged out. that romance is not supposed to play out unless your not romancing either.
  • Hyena_PrincessHyena_Princess Member Posts: 2
    I don't have any bugs or anything to report, I just wanted to say I got to play this mod for the first time recently and it was done so wonderfully. It was so fun and much more wholesome than I honestly expected, loved it. ^_^
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I wonder if renaming it Imoen Expansion would help - from the title, it sounds like it is merely a romance mod for Imoen.
    i agree this needs a rename. it does not help this mod has a very bad reputation that has not been a thing since it was rewritten.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I certainly find the name off-putting. But then, in Baldur's Gate as in life, I think romance is best avoided.
  • Hyena_PrincessHyena_Princess Member Posts: 2
    A name change may not be a bad idea all things considered, but I do want to say that the romance is very very good.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    A name change may not be a bad idea all things considered, but I do want to say that the romance is very very good.

Indeed. :) I never did play the original version that garnered all of the negative reactions, but I found the revamped romance to be quite realistic, plausible and more or less exactly what I had in mind for my original vision of Imoen way back in BG1 before it was revealed she was a fellow Bhaalspawn; two childhood friends protecting and supporting each other as they take their first steps out into the world, and that friendship winds up becoming something more.
    I played the original. And actually... the premise that Zaxares described above was exactly the same back then. Writing was worse, sure, there was a number of cringy dialogues, but I don't think it really deserved that much backlash to begin with.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I played the original. And actually... the premise that Zaxares described above was exactly the same back then. Writing was worse, sure, there was a number of cringy dialogues, but I don't think it really deserved that much backlash to begin with.

It had some troubling content. Real edgelord stuff.

alot of the evil options got removed. those were where alot of the backlash came from.
    Ah, that makes more sense. I haven't explored those.
    I certainly find the name off-putting. But then, in Baldur's Gate as in life, I think romance is best avoided.

i personally find the romances baldurs gate to be fine. unlike most games they feel alot more natural.
  • mademan2mademan2 Member Posts: 54
    I had some issues with running it in the past but on my second playthrough it all went relatively smoothly once I stopped stressing over everything :D
    And yea, its got to be one of the most involved and well written romances I have played in any game, absolutely loved the mod. Ill be doing a second playthrough shortly and then possibly a friendship playthrough before putting BG 2 aside for a couple of years again, so I was thinking of maybe writing a short guide for the romance, since there are many moments where players can get stuck.

Regardless, big thanks to the creators and personally I dont mind the name at all, thats what helped me find the mod, I never even heard about the bad rep till I read about it here and I bet that majority of players nowadays wont remember a mod from 2003 or whenever it was, its just on the forum itself that people remember :)
  • JarveyJarvey Member Posts: 31
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i personally find the romances baldurs gate to be fine. unlike most games they feel alot more natural.

While I don't find the vanilla romances to be anything special from a writing standpoint, they feel more natural because they don't follow a strict formula like later RPG's do.

From a development perspective it makes sense why formulas exists; romance plots exist more for roleplaying purposes than anything deeper, and when a game has 4 or more options to appeal to different player tastes, it speeds development to make them isolated in story and repeatable in mechanics. It's not ideal of course, but considering the hectic pace of game development and focus on a grand journey, it's easy to see why they so often feel like frivolous and even distracting additions.

This mod had the luxury of focusing all its efforts on one character, and had the good fortune that character was tied to the main quest and left with unrealized potential. It proved to me there's lots of untapped potential in RPG romance plots, even if a real RPG game probably couldn't get away with featuring only one no matter how deep or well-written. Big numbers are always going to be more immediately appealing over potentially hollow promises of depth.
    a problem with newer rpgs is as everyone in the party can be romanced for the most part that becomes the main reason they exist and takes up most of thier content.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited November 2020
    Hell yes, I've been lobbying for a name change for ages.

@Jarvey Agreed, an emotionally touching romance has to be woven into the story. Ps:T had those, I'd argue even Mass Effect did (although it also had its formulaic options).
  • mademan2mademan2 Member Posts: 54
    Hi, I have a question about how this mod works with the Kelsey mod. I read both readme's and thought I installed it correctly but no conversations are triggering between Imoen and Kelsey. I wanted to introduce some more drama into the romance and see what all the hubub with Kelsey is about but while he has some interventions here and there and a small quest, it feels like very little and of course absolutely nothign when it comes to Imoen. Can someone give me a tip as to how to get it working?
    Thanks.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2020
    mademan2 wrote: »
    I had some issues with running it in the past but on my second playthrough it all went relatively smoothly once I stopped stressing over everything :D
    And yea, its got to be one of the most involved and well written romances I have played in any game, absolutely loved the mod. Ill be doing a second playthrough shortly and then possibly a friendship playthrough before putting BG 2 aside for a couple of years again, so I was thinking of maybe writing a short guide for the romance, since there are many moments where players can get stuck.

Regardless, big thanks to the creators and personally I dont mind the name at all, thats what helped me find the mod, I never even heard about the bad rep till I read about it here and I bet that majority of players nowadays wont remember a mod from 2003 or whenever it was, its just on the forum itself that people remember :)

There was a guide on the Imoen Romance forum, but unfortunately nobody seems to have saved a copy of the forum... @vanatos ?

@mademan2 : Kelsey's romance with Imoen isn't all that involved, if I recall correctly. Just a few banters in ToB.
  • Sarevok08Sarevok08 Member Posts: 78
    @mademan2 @Isewein
    Hey, I had a trawl through the forum posts I got from the forum admin a while ago, and this is the post that seemed to be referenced the most:
    This thread is just generally for people who get stuck in the romance and aren't sure what to do, the romance is pretty straightfoward but just in case.

This won't deal with all the extra miscellaneous stuff (unless people really want to know) but specifically what is needed to romance imoen.

1. Dreams
    First dream occurs one-day in-game time (ie you can inn sleep to push it foward) after the 2nd jon irenicus dream.
    ImoenDreamRomance1 is the global timer
    HadImoenDreamRomance1 =1 when the dream finishes

Second dream occurs roughly 3.5 in-game time days after the first dream.
    ImoenDreamRomance2 is the global timer
    HadImoenDreamRomance2 =1 when the dream finishes
    The second dream is necessary to occur for the romance to actually kick off

Third dream occurs roughly 4 in-game time days after the first dream.
    ImoenDreamRomance3 is the global timer
    HadImoenDreamRomance3 =1 when the dream finishes

2. Imoen Rejoins
    After imoen rejoins, she has her intro talk with you, here you basically just have to not piss her off.

3. Lovetalks
    The first occurs 20 seconds after imoen rejoins.
    the rest occur 40 minutes real-game time (as in the amount of time you actually play, inn-sleeping wont do anything) after each other.

There are 6 love-talks prior to the romance concluding that need to be seen, and 1 after that is optional.
    The globals are
    MRLoveTalk=1,3,5,7,9,11
    MRImoenLovetalkTimer is the global timer
    No lovetalks occur during the sahuagin city but they do occur everywhere else that isn't a dungeon (including the underdark, which is flagged as a dungeon).

All these talks if you pick the wrong option, ImoenRomanceActive gets set to 3 (so you failed the romance) it should always be 1 here.

4. Underdark Exit
    Depending on how far you are on Lovetalks either you aren't ready for the campfire scene or you are (depends if its higher then 9).

If not you can just continue playing the game and once you've had enough lovetalks Imoen will prompt you to camp.

At the end, this global should be set MRSleptImoen=1, if not you failed the event here

5. After one in-game day of bodhi being killed, she will talk to you to be alone, basically send all your other npc's away from Line of sight and force talk her.

This is the last step and ImoenRomanceActive=2 means you succeeded.

After this, flirts will be activated and you can talk to Imoen and do random stuff.
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Does the infinity project installer only work with github hosted mods? Tried adding the imoen mod from the traditional folder + weidu exe found from the websitr to the infinity download folder and it didn't end up installing the mod
  • rossbach451rossbach451 Member Posts: 168
    edited January 2021
    OK, so when I get to the campfire scene, Imoen wakes me up with the water. I give chase, but when I catch her the dialogue discusses the MC having turned into the Slayer. Then the scene is over. I can't force talk, and there is no indication in the global that the right scene played out.
    Post edited by rossbach451 on
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    OK, so when I get to the campfire scene, Imoen wakes me up with the water. I give chase, but when I catch her the dialogue discusses the MC having turned into the Slayer. Then the scene is over. I can't force talk, and there is no indication in the global that the right scene played out.

I'm no modder, but that sounds like some sort of mod conflict. It's probably calling the wrong dialogue file, or some variable hasn't been set properly. Do you have any other mods installed that affect Imoen's dialogue files?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Zaxares wrote: »

I'm no modder, but that sounds like some sort of mod conflict. It's probably calling the wrong dialogue file, or some variable hasn't been set properly. Do you have any other mods installed that affect Imoen's dialogue files?

Or a messed up Dialog file.

Perhaps the various friendship mods (Korgan, Haer Dalis, etc), but otherwise I can't see an obvious conflict.
    ThacoBell wrote: »

Or a messed up Dialog file.

How would I deal with that?
    Try to initiate dialog with Imoen before setting camp. If that triggers the Slayer talk, it will change the necessary variable and the camp scene should fire as intended after.
    Try to initiate dialog with Imoen before setting camp. If that triggers the Slayer talk, it will change the necessary variable and the camp scene should fire as intended after.

I am playing from an earlier save, and I noticed the first time through I did not get the right dialogues after the first Slayer transformation (with Bodhi in Spellhold). I made sure to get that this time, might be a difference maker. I will also look for your suggestion as well.Thanks!
    If you got the correct dialog, all should go well from this point now.