Skip to content

What is your favourite alignment group to play in Baldur's Gate?

1234568»

Comments

• AnduineAnduine Member Posts: 416
    edited August 2012

Anduine said:

Funny. My Paladin's god is Tyr, and if he didn't approve of killing evil in a game, then he would strip me of my powers. I again remind you that I have not been stripped of my abilities. My alignment started and ended with Lawful Good, my reputation is pristine, having never lost a point, and while you do not share this, I see a massive gap between Baldur's Gate, limited by programming, and the pen and paper game, limited only by the DM and the potential of the human mind.

I again offer to provide you with a screenshot displaying my alignment and reputation, and you did not seem interested in the first time I offered this. Your opinion of "would/should" has no weight, as it is not a part of the Baldur's Gate series. Everything I've posted here is strictly following the programming of Baldur's Gate, and I have yet to set foot in the "proper" way to play pen and paper, which I *again* mention that I play in a very different way.

Would you like me to repeat myself again, or will this suffice?

I'm trying to have a discussion about alignments in the D&D system in general, and I don't understand why you don't want to make this a mutual exchange on that topic. If you play P&P differently than you play BG, then illuminate me as to how differently. BG handles alignments in such a limited and flawed way, so confining the breadth of our discussion to it seems arbitrary and not conducive to a good dialogue.
    I think that's our difference here. I'm not trying to have a discussion about the alignments in the overall D&D system. I have no interest in doing such a thing. It's a game and I have no intentions of butchering each alignment class, digging like a dog gone mad in order to locate each "shade of gray" as if it were a long lost bone.

The name of this thread is "What is your favourite alignment group to play in Baldur's Gate?" I believe that was sufficient in dictating my stance on this, but I suppose that was an incorrect assumption on my part. My choices here and all of my posts have always ever been bound by the rules and mechanics of the Baldur's Gate series, and it is an unfortunate mistake if I have lead you or anyone else to believe otherwise.

I was not actually interested in pursuing a "good dialogue" in this particular case, but more defending my stance against assault/disagreement. I suppose I could mention how I play the pen and paper game differently, but I'd rather not, for two reasons.

A: It would negate everything that we have posted, as I would be taking an entirely different stance dictated by an entirely and *drastically* different set of rules, not bound by programming or any laws in a video game.

B: It would not fit in the category that this thread was designed to fill. If you are sincerely interested in learning how I play the pen and paper game (though I tend to question any sincerity in that regard), then I believe it would be best accomplished via private messaging. I prefer to keep my threads on track and in category, whereas private messaging can be shared with far less boundaries, and all comments posted are not diluted or overlooked by the posts of others not taking part in that particular conversation, as there would be no "others" in the first place.

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @immagikman While I agree with you that paladins are often the "Sword of the Faith" I disagree with your statement that I'm more of a cleric than a paladin.

If I am sent on a specific mission by the church (for example when you provide protection to someone in the docks district, the person who comes to pick her up requires you to cast detect evil. If he glows evil (when you know the actual person should be a former paladin of high standing), then you're suppose to not let her come down and kill him.

But if I'm sent on a mission by the church or my deity itself I will act as the part of the "Sword" within the bounds of local law and my faith.

If you look at the major paladin Deities from the Time of Troubles (The Triad and Helm) we can view their portfolios of the time.

Helm: Law, Planning, Protection, Strength
    Tyr: Good, Knowledge, Law, Retribution, War
    Torm: Good, Healing, Law, Protection, Strength, Civilization, Justice, Protection
    Ilmater: Good, Healing, Law, Strength, Suffering, Freedom, Hope

By the way I got all these from the forgottenrealms.wikia.com

I feel with this, even with both of our views that Paladins are more often the Swords of the Faith, that removing all evil by swordpoint must be tempered by law. There are few places in the realms which will take the word of a paladin as enough justification as why someone had to die.

That said, it's these differences that show the difficulty that the infinity engine has and how essential an actual DM is in determining whether or not you lose your paladinhood in a given situation.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    @Anduine
    Very well then. If you don't want to have an open discourse, I will leave you to that. But, now, I am bored, and done with this thread, because I don't have any interest in talking about how Lawful Good everyone's murdering, thieving bandit paladins are.