Skip to content

How many hours of your life would you estimate have gone into the BG saga?

StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
I have put about 1100 hours into the saga (based on Steam), but a good part of that was probably spent rerolling. However, I still am nowhere near as good or as knowledgeable as some of the guys on this forum - which led me to wonder just how much time some of you guys have put into this saga ...estimated of course.

Comments

• ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    edited December 2014
    lol I can't really say as I don't have steam to count and I do a bad job of keeping track of how much time I put into something. heck, I wouldn't even think I already spent over 100 hours on my first DAI playthrough so far, but my save says so and Origin itself says I've put 123 hours into that. for BG I remember I beat BG1 twice full before the EE, and also had each of them go into an unfinished BG2 playthrough. the first I got stuck by going into the planar sphere early (only did Umar Hills before, where I found Valygar) and the second I went to spellhold pretty much as soon as I could and was getting owned by pirates. since those games luckily I learned to keep multiple saves, especially one before going into a mission lol. anyway, after the EE came out I played BG1 once at launch, again before BG2EE's release, then I played BG2EE once with my insane/SCS/ascension run which would likely take longer than a normal run seeing as I greatly upped the difficulty. my other experiences in BG is when I did the randomly rolled party no reload challenge for a while, as well as my current MP playthrough that finished BG1 and we are done about half of the content available in chapter 2 (probably a bit more than half).

that is about as close as I could get to saying how much time I've put into BG unfortunately. maybe I should just time my next playthrough and consider that they took around that long (a bit longer when I was learning however)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited December 2014
    Playing the game... A lot... Modding the game... Three times what what I played at least.
    (It took me around 100 hours on my first playthrough, around 70 on the second one and (already familiar with the game and stuff, but did all the quests) around 65 hours on the third one... Then, after 1 party run and 2 solo runs that are the only ones I have taken record of (in screenshots) I played around 20 or more solo runs (reloading and vanilla) until I got to BG2... Where after 1 party run, I played like 2 or 3 more solo runs and then played another party run in BG2:EE, which I still have to finish, because by that time I re-installed BG2 and then gave BGT a try. Since then I'm playing solo no-reload with lots of difficulty mods... In my current install (2 runs so far, one dead by some bandits in BG1, the other one still has to clear the Nashkel Mines) I haven't beaten the game yet, but in the previous one I had beaten BG1 twice (Fighter->Cleric and Assassin/Wizard Slayer) and BG2 once (without going through BG1 actually) with a Morninglady of Lathander->Mage (character which I had earlier played in BGEE with), but that run was super easy and I did less then the half of the total missions.
    And then... Since december last year, when i started modding, there haven't been a period longer than a week where I didn't do something related to modding (while the last time I played BGT was on september... LOL, but I played BGEE one my iPad yesterday).

Edit: i sign this off with: its 2am and I'm writing wall of text yahooo!
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'v been playing it for 10 years, so if I estimate 30 minutes a day that would be 1827 hours...
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    I would say between 150-200 hours
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798
    edited December 2014
    I really don't want to know. I know I've gone through the first two games with every basic character type at least once. Have probably also beaten ToB about 6+ times. Idk, hopefully not too much more than 1000 hours or so. Crikey, I could've become fluent in Mandarin or something instead.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    edited December 2014
    I know what you mean, booinyoureyes.

Here is a snip of my playing time on Steam - and this is the first game alone (don't know how long I put into BG2EE as my version of that one is on the Beamdog launcher):

I gave the BG saga a break after putting so much time into it. But a few days ago I got in the mood to give the new Icewind Dale a whirl. I even created a thread here asking if it was worth purchasing. Well, I will have to get my money's worth out of that one some other time. All it did was make me want to go back to Baldur's Gate!!!

The Bhaalspawn has me in his clutches yet again.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Did you leave it on and running for a few weeks @Stormvessel‌ ? I feel like a baby compared to you guys. For BG1 & 2 I've played through both a couple times and played some multiplayer through the years, but I'm going to be on the lower end of the scale here ;-)
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    CoryNewb said:

Did you leave it on and running for a few weeks @Stormvessel‌ ? I feel like a baby compared to you guys. For BG1 & 2 I've played through both a couple times and played some multiplayer through the years, but I'm going to be on the lower end of the scale here ;-)

No, but a couple of times I used the autoroller utility and left it on overnight. But that would at most contribute to 8 or so hours per instance. I only did that with a few characters. I could be extreme and say that 200 hours was spent rolling and autorolling - which would still leave almost a thousand hours - but that wouldn't be entirely accurate. I have spent nowhere near that much time clicking reroll - not necessary. The autoroller gets you a fine roll within minutes. The truth is, I have played the hell out of this game.

And yet, I still don't know half as much about the game as most of the regulars on this forum.

But I do pause it a lot to check forums and go the the bathroom, outside to smoke, etc.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I don't know how to begin to calculate it. I've played it at least 3-4 months out of the year, every day in those months, since 1998.

Play time on play days ranges anywhere from 4 hours to 8 hours plus, depending on work schedule.

I'm sure it's got to be over 1000 hours. Probably a lot more than that.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    bengoshi said:

Yeah, spread the word, @BelgarathMTH‌ ! Students should know that not only them but also teachers themselves play the game.

BG. Uniting students&teachers since 1998.

I wasn't even in school yet in 1998
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I would estimate it adds up to more than one year.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I think mummification is the only way. No need to eat, sleep, defecate or breath. Plus the loss of a couple of decades is not the end of the world.

I must be approaching a year of play...
  • At least 1200 hours, I never stopt playing for long periods.