Skip to content

Where are all the spears ?

Currently I took the one from poor Poe (+1) as he decided to help me fight some fights and found his demise .

Where else can I get some spear-weapons in BG1EE?

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited December 2014
    The only spear available in BG1 is a regular spear and a Spear +1 that I recall.

BGEE did add a Spear +2 though and you can find that in Baldur's Gate North, on the Merchant's League Doorman.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    there aren't many, as far as i know the only named spear hurts you as well as your enemy. theres a +2 around somewhere but I can't remember exactly. unfortunately spears aren't really a good choice as they have low damage for a two handed weapon and magical versions are few and far between :(
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Jarrakul said:

The good news is that once you get to BG2, the most damaging weapon in the pre-expansion game is a spear. But in BG1, they kind of shafted.

unfortunately that's pretty late in the game and piercing damage is the most resisted physical damage :(
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    How late it is depends on when you go to rescue Imoen, and there are a couple decent spears available before that. It is missable, though, which is unfortunate.

Piercing is definitely the most resisted damage type, though. Fortunately, the Impaler will still out-damage most weapons in spite of that, because 1d6+13 is a lot. Can't do much against enemies immune to piercing, though. Clay golems and mustard jellies, I think? Very annoying, that.
    Yes I realized that pun as I was typing. I saw fit to let it lie unacknowledged. Kind of wish it'd stayed that way, to be honest.

And yeah, "spear" seems to be used exclusively for the 2-handed variety, which is odd since historically there were both one- and two-handed spears (the Greek Dory vs the Macedonian Sarissa, for example), but BG only uses the two-handed variety. Even more strangely, they use the damage stats for the one-handed variety from 2E D&D. Very strange indeed.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    edited December 2014
    Nimran said:

Jarrakul said:

The good news is that once you get to BG2, the most damaging weapon in the pre-expansion game is a spear. But in BG1, they kind of shafted.

They're spears. They always get shafted. You know, because of the shafts?

But yeh, spears kinda suck in BG. Why, oh why, was there no additional spear made in the EE?!
    Don't like editing my posts after they were responded to, but I should clarify that when I typed the 'no spear' question I meant in SoA/ToB. Obviously, the BGEE did add a +2 spear, as previously posted.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited December 2014
    Where are all the spears? In stores, of course! Or stuck in the hearts of your enemies. Too bad most of the spears aren't magical.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    All the spears are taslois'!
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    CrevsDaak said:

I'm currently working on a Tweak pack, and one of the components is to raise Spears' damage to 1d8. When that component installs fine I'll post a link if you like.

Yes please. Are you doing this for both BG1 & 2 EE ?
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    edited December 2014
    Here's a few -

[spoiler=SpearsPlus1]
    3rd Level Cloakwood Mine in Hobgoblin area
    Seven Suns Basement (South-West Baldur's Gate)
    Paladin Phandalyn in Tavern South West of Flaming Fist HQ (South-West Baldur's Gate)[/spoiler]

[spoiler=SpearPlus2]
    Merchant's League guard (North-East Baldur's Gate)[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Other]
    Spear +3, Backbiter (cursed) can be found in the Larswood on a deranged druid

The weapon delivers 3 damage to the wielder on each succesful hit. I wonder if the +3 spear could be managed with something like armor of faith or kits with damage resistance. It might make the weapon viable if the damage can be nullified.[/spoiler]
    This is where my Ferret Spear +3 would come in handy. A spear that steals a random item from an enemy's inventory each time it hits would be great, and not too OP since enemies don't usually carry items in their inventories, they always just wear them, or have them in quick item slots. Inspired, of course, by my ferret, Neilah, who likes to steal cookies from my hand.
    edited December 2014
    That spear would be quite entertaining, but its ability would be almost totally useless in practice. Still, that means fewer balance concerns, so maybe that's okay.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Nimran said:

This is where my Ferret Spear +3 would come in handy. A spear that steals a random item from an enemy's inventory each time it hits would be great, and not too OP since enemies don't usually carry items in their inventories, they always just wear them, or have them in quick item slots. Inspired, of course, by my ferret, Neilah, who likes to steal cookies from my hand.

It would be great for getting things from people who you're not supposed to kill and/or who are immortal.
    Jarrakul said:

That spear would be quite entertaining, but its ability would be almost totally useless in practice. Still, that means fewer balance concerns, so maybe that's okay.

Balance is important.

Nimran said:

It would be great for getting things from people who you're not supposed to kill and/or who are immortal.
    Exactly right! All two of those guys will know to fear the spear!
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    edited December 2014

I have been modding around with spears, javelins, one-handed spears. But I don't have time to finish it. If someone wants to take over, let me know!

Wow, this actually works! I remember that the game always used to crash when there were missing animations, so simply unchecking the Two-Handed flag would not work. Now the weapon simply becomes "invisible" when you make an attack which kinda sucks but I think I can live with it just to have one-handed spears for my barb.

[spoiler=SpearPlus2]

I can't locate this one, neither in BG-North (as written in the wiki) or NE

turned over the whole guild house as per Mendas' request, no one carried this weapon neither was it hidden away.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Yamcha said:

[spoiler=SpearPlus2]

I can't locate this one, neither in BG-North (as written in the wiki) or NE

turned over the whole guild house as per Mendas' request, no one carried this weapon neither was it hidden away.

I just found it on Jacil no problem.
    Merchant Leauge - Counting House ?
    edited December 2014
    Yep ar0307 to be precise
    Must be a bug with the NPC Project or SCS, because I never met Jacil (his dialoge hints that he should be in front of the building)

I got him via console though - and his spear. Also we feasted on dogmeat ;)

Thanks elminster
    edited December 2014
    He is inside the building. First floor.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The fact @Yamcha‌ didn't get the spear and Jacil didn't spawn is explained Yamcha went to the Merchant Leauge building AFTER the Mendas' request.

You can get the Jacil encounter and thus the spear +2 if you visit the Merchant Leauge building on your own, before getting the quest from Mendas. As soon as you get the quest, it changes.