Skip to content

New Beamdog Logo

TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
Hey everyone. We're looking at revising our logo to better reflect our status as a game developer. Along those lines we've started a contest on 99 Designs to try and find a new look which best fits us. Here's a poll to offer your feedback on the concepts: http://99designs.ca/logo-business-card-design/vote-mvph21

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    edited December 2014
    Said my peace to Trent O myself.

None of those selections received anything higher than :star::star::star: and everything else only :star:.

As brave warrior @Heindrich added, the selections are far too modern or console-like for my tastes, and does not reflect the style of games Beamdog has come to be known to enhance.

Good luck to the entries! I do hope those 7 are not the final selections. :broken_heart:

Hrm. Looks like they're in the final stages of selection.

http://99designs.ca/logo-business-card-design/contests/create-logo-beamdog-veteran-rpg-video-game-studio-440508/designers

@TrentOster,

EDIT: Okay, now I understand how they have become the final choices to vote on. Reviewing Beamdog's requirements -

"We'd like a simple clean layout for cards, big on the logo/wordmark or whatever we end up with. We'd like a font that suggests a heritage without sacrificing readability or clarity."

So that would explain some of the fonts used and their changing direction. I only found this after looking around at their details page. Knowing that before going to the direct vote page would have made me examine the logos differently, rather than being so harsh with my star votes. :broken_heart:
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Knowing that before going to the direct vote page would have made me examine the logos differently, rather than being so harsh with my star votes. :broken_heart:

I just voted on which looked the coolest but still kept with the RPG developer theme.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    wubble said:

Knowing that before going to the direct vote page would have made me examine the logos differently, rather than being so harsh with my star votes. :broken_heart:

I just voted on which looked the coolest but still kept with the RPG developer theme.
    The logo with the dragon eye as the letter O eventually got my highest vote, even though I don't care for the blood on the font itself. It reminds me of the blood used in the Dragon Age font too much.

wubble said:

The logo with the dragon eye as the letter O eventually got my highest vote, even though I don't care for the blood on the font itself. It reminds me of the blood used in the Dragon Age font too much.

the blood isn't great but the rest of the logo is awesome
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    It's very nice that you've asked the community, Trent!

Personally I can recommend to go through the book of Russian designer http://www.artlebedev.com/mandership/ There're lots of good tips there, all of them are easy to understand and they are very compact.

For e.g.:

"The customer doesn’t have to be a design guru or connoisseur, therefore in all likelihood he wants something that he has already seen somewhere: “The N Corporation has a pretty logo, I want you to make something like that for me”. However, to make “something like that”, one needs to know at least why N made it this particular way, what it had in mind in the beginning and what sort of mistakes it had avoided."

“A good logo should be simple enough for anyone to draw from memory.”

The tip I find the most useful is here: http://www.artlebedev.com/mandership/137/ it is about the emotion matrix.

The sum of the up and forward vectors points to the right upper corner. This is the most “positive” moving direction in the 2-dimensional space. Its opposite is therefore the most “negative” direction. So, heading towards the left upper corner may be seen as going astray even though it is an upward movement. And the moving towards the right lower corners is thus the way to failure. If an object is put in the center, it is, as a rule, neutral and supports symmetry of the composition.

Basing my view on everything I know I vote for this option:

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Out of the short listed ones:

is the one I like the most but only after fixing the B so the middle line isn't visible through the arrow.
    I am not a fan all cap logos, but the name Beamdog makes anything but tricky.

On the linked page #339 with the fireball O is the best of the bunch. It's clean, well spaced and the fireball gives it just a hint of playfulness needed for a gaming logo while still being unique. I believe it should be the winner.

#333 has too much going on in it, especially in the O. The designer should have chosen one break, either the eye or spikes, and gone with it.

#343 reminds me too much of relay gates from Mass Effect

#330 and #348 are probably my second choice. The waves in #348 breaks up the blocking nicely.

#344 is a mess and #352 is ok, but not as well put together as 339.
  • djcdjc Member Posts: 76
    Speaking purely as a graphic designer, I'd go with #343. However, although all the entries do have their own merits, none of those is obviously better than the current logo.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    I like the one on the top here.

For this one the needs to be a sword running through it or along the bottom like the enhanced edition logos have. That would make my vote.
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    deltago said:

Out of the short listed ones:

It reminds me a bit of IGNs logo both in color and shape. Absolutely hated the dragon one though, looks like yet another of those "shady site" logos.

Also did my voting and these are my favorites. I think they look reliable and modern.
    imageimage
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Shouldn't the logo include beams - and dogs?

How about a dog balancing on a beam?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Fardragon said:

Shouldn't the logo include beams - and dogs?

How about a dog balancing on a beam?

Actually, the demands of this contest say there should be no dogs on the logo. http://99designs.com/logo-business-card-design/contests/create-logo-beamdog-veteran-rpg-video-game-studio-440508/brief

They would like to move on from "dogs". As Trent says, the original concept behind the name was "transfer companion", but they've moved on to become a game developer.

They'd like to better reflect the new direction of quality games by seasoned veteran developers.

If the dog is awesome, they'll let it slide, but so far it has been a major distraction from the core business.

http://99designs.com/logo-business-card-design/contests/create-logo-beamdog-veteran-rpg-video-game-studio-440508/announcements
  • dibdib Member Posts: 384
    I'd like a bad ass wolf shooting a laser beam out of its mouth.
    brendox is a lucky guy! To create a logo for Beamdog! I would be very proud: )
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Good choice there, Trent : )
  • FalkonSwiftbladeFalkonSwiftblade Member Posts: 51
    aw dang, I just found out about this and I'm a designer and would've liked to create a logo. Maybe I'll still do one for grins. Although out of what was shown, I would've also gone with the one they used.
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    ban serif fonts
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    SERIF 4 LYFE
    ?
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    I didn't know until this post that Phil was against serif. Times New Roman is my favorite font. I use Arial at work because it's the default but now I want to sneak in serif fonts here and there, like little presents for him.

Maybe @AndrewFoley should weigh in too...