Skip to content

Eve of War [Abandoned]

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    So, it means that if I wait for your mod till Saturday or Sunday, I'll be able to go through SoD with a dwarf in the party?! ;)

That's... super awesome! How much content does he has?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    His content (beyond what was already there) is fairly limited at the moment. I'll have to add more. In general I've tried to keep the same style as Andrew Foley's writing, but he's a much better writer :)

Some examples (of my writing) being
    Feh, I reckon me kin rarely speak o'dwarven ways. Verminatin least o'all. There be nothin good said of dwarves who can nae hold their keep. Least of all one close t'fallin to creepy-crawlies and such. Vermin-slayin be'in what it is, few o'me kind will admit to needin it.

(an example of banter)

Safana: So I hear you have a love of gold. Would you care to share yours around?

Daran: Any gold I be hold'in be fer me home n'kin. You be welcome to anything left after they be through with it.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    elminster wrote: »
    Update: With SoDs release around the corner my goal is to release Eve of War sometime this Saturday or sunday everything that has been done by that point anyways)

Oh wow, I'm pretty impressed this'll be so soon. Can't wait to give it a look since I plan to do a full series playthrough a bit after the expansion release :)
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    edited March 2016
    Are the new NPC's mandatory for some of the new quests?
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited March 2016
    elminster wrote: »
    Some examples (of my writing) being
    Feh, I reckon me kin rarely speak o'dwarven ways. Verminatin least o'all. There be nothin good said of dwarves who can nae hold their keep. Least of all one close t'fallin to creepy-crawlies and such. Vermin-slayin be'in what it is, few o'me kind will admit to needin it.

Any gold I be hold'in be fer me home n'kin. You be welcome to anything left after they be through with it.
    As if I can hear you saying it out loud with scottish accent.
    AKrugBier wrote: »
    Are the new NPC's mandatory for some of the new quests?

There is only one quest that requires the npc. That is a quest involving Yeorg. Otherwise none of the other quests require you to take an NPC.
    edited April 2016
    The following involves a significant spoiler regarding the availability of NPC's in SoD.

Components of this mod will also allow you to acquire Shar-Teel in the prologue (before you leave Baldur's Gate). You will also be able to acquire Tiax in chapter 1.

The following is a spoiler in the sense that it tells you where you won't travel in (unmodified) SoD

One component of the mod for Siege of Dragonspear adds a new town called Serpent's Cowl

As with the other NPC mods for SoD I've mentioned at the moment there is very little dialog with these characters. But they will be made available as an option (if only for people who are interested in this kind of thing). At a later point I hope to flesh them out some more.
    Post edited by elminster on
    edited April 2016
    Sad new I'm afraid. This isn't an april fools day joke either (though I did actually initially plan to release a joke version of Eve of War as one...and actually finished the joke version too).

At the moment I think that I'm going to be prioritizing getting bugs reported this weekend. Most of the bugs being reported aren't crash bugs, but given that a number of the bugs I'm dealing with are actually caused by mods (either by the mods themselves or by the update happening when the mods were installed) I'm going to hold off on releasing this. Maybe for like a week. We'll see how things go.
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    Good things take time :) No sense to rush something that you're not 100% comfortable with releasing.
  • nomadmercnomadmerc Member Posts: 48
    Eagerly looking forward to it, kudos ahead of time for the amazing efforts put into it.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    edited April 2016
    Just postpone the release until SoD has been fixed. Might take a while though (some weeks / month). Gives you at least some time to bughunt YOUR mod. xD

edit: And write some NPC reactions / dialogue / banter!
  • illathidillathid Member Posts: 320
    Excited to see how this turns out!
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Just wondering - would it be possible to have an option with Shar-Teel where you can install her either as a Fighter or (as so many players like to do) dualled to Thief at some point?
    Will there be lich encounters in the mod?
    edited April 2016

God I hope not.

I hate how BG2 throws like 8 severely nerfed liches at you, like they're gnolls or something.

At least IWDEE respects the player enough to explain why the lich is nerfed. And hold true to the idea that you haven't killed a lich until you've destroyed their phylactery.

Maybe as an optional boss or the one you have to gain some levels to tackle it.
    Post edited by brus on
    edited April 2016
    shawne said:

Just wondering - would it be possible to have an option with Shar-Teel where you can install her either as a Fighter or (as so many players like to do) dualled to Thief at some point?

I'll probably just be looking into making it so that she'll do what other NPC's do. So she'll get an amount of experience (to be roughly equal to your parties experience) and you can dual class her and be able to pick out thieving skills. I haven't really looked much into this aspect at the moment. I've been more working on the writing and setting things in place for you to pick her up.
  • VfleetVfleet Member Posts: 15
    I see you on the forums all the time. Seem like a cool dude, seems like a cool mod.
  • nomadmercnomadmerc Member Posts: 48
    Seeing a new post in this thread is exciting ...and more exciting when I read that it is ready! Success to ya Elminster.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211
    I am sorry if this has already been asked, but is this mod compatible with EET, and when should it be installed vis a vis other mods like item revisions, spell revisions, scales of balance and SCS?
    Update: I haven't had time to do anything regarding this mod for the last several weeks. Partly due to the launch of Dragonspear and partly due to school. School is winding down on my end however. So I would say in a weeks time I can get back to this.
  • flow2flow2 Member Posts: 4
    Ardul said:

I am sorry if this has already been asked, but is this mod compatible with EET, and when should it be installed vis a vis other mods like item revisions, spell revisions, scales of balance and SCS?

Would like to know that too.

edited April 2016
    Using the general mod install order

1) non-weidu mods
    2) story mods
    3) NPC mods
    4) item mods
    5) kit mods
    6) BG2Tweaks
    7) other tweak/overhaul mods (for example SCALES of BALANCE)
    8) SCS
    9) aTweaks

I would (preliminarily) say it should be installed before BG2Tweaks and after any non-weidu mods.

Obviously its reputation component isn't going to be compatible with anything else that affects how the game handles reputation.

Likewise there is one optional component that offers an alternative to one of the components of SCS when it comes to how the bandit camp situation occurs (rather than him entering the tent you are approached from the outside by the leader of the Black Talons).

The only other situation I can think of where it would come into conflict with SCS would be another optional component for the final battle. This component basically makes Sarevok to be more like a level 15 fighter equipment and stats wise to what you could have by that point in BG2EE. But all that is doing is changing Sarevok's creature file and introducing some new items. SCS would override his creature file anyways so it shouldn't be an issue.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Oh, that jab at Corwin is good. :)

"It does not matter now, now does it?" reads a bit awkwardly, though.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Elminster, I just wanted to say: you rock and I eagerly await the release of both mods.
  • ZansoZanso Member Posts: 136
    elminster said:

Pecca said:

elminster said:

Update: I haven't had time to do anything regarding this mod for the last several weeks. Partly due to the launch of Dragonspear and partly due to school. School is winding down on my end however. So I would say in a weeks time I can get back to this.

You're going to school? I always pictured you as a 60-70 years old dude, haha. :)
    I once knew an 89 year old going to school for a degree in Environmental Studies. Sometimes age is just an excuse (and of course sometimes it isn't). That said...who is to say what my real age is....1000? 1001? Hard to say :)
    @elminster According to Forgotten Realms wiki you were born in year 212 DR, so that would make you 1156 years old. Everyone lives in Baldur's Gate timeline, right? :p What's your secret? Turnip juice? :smiley: