Skip to content

Devs -- Please restore spell 'Emotion'

Dear devs,

Please restore the Bioware version of the spell 'Emotion'. Enemies should remain prone for the duration of the spell. The current version of the spell is now weaker than 'Hold Person'.

From http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Emotion-Hopelessness

Emotion-Hopelessness is a 4th wizard enchantment spell which causes victims to lie down where they stand and cease any movement as effect of losing the will to live if the save vs. spell, fails in their favor.

This spell has a second effect; it instills courage in the caster, restoring lost morale and removing fear effects as well as preventing them from working on the caster for as long as the spell lasts. Magic resistance and other such things affects this part of the spell.

Comments

• WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Please don't change it. It was on overly strong spell so it's nice to see it balanced.

Don't suggest that I should change the game via mods as I'm playing on ipad where modding is very difficult.

The best way for Beamdog to make the EEs a success is to make them a balanced and challenging series without the need for mods (though of course mods will always be a big part of the game).
    elminster said:

It was not an overly strong spell before because it had no saving throw bonus and plenty of enemies (namely undead) were immune to it anyways. Its strong against weaker enemies, like Sleep in BGEE, but with this change its actually probably worse than Horror.

Changing stuff like this a year or more after the game is released would just be bad form on their part. An adjustable change (via an ini file or in game setting) would be one thing, but given that this is a change that is not mentioned in the release notes, not mentioned in the spells description, and not mentioned in the manual it would not be a good idea to proceed with it as it currently stands (its bound to upset people when people just want their games to be patched for bugs, without new inconsistencies being created between spells and their descriptions). Same goes for backporting this into BGEE in a future patch.

In IWDee Symbol: Hopelessness does basically the same but is level 7 which is more appropriate.

Just use Confusion instead, it's a much more balanced spell for the level as enemies will still hit back.

End of the day there are just too many spells in BG which make other spells completely obsolete.

This is a sensible change that will make the game better and more balanced overall and that's a good thing for new players unfamiliar with the franchise.

Veterans who like it the old way can mod their game. New players on tablets can't. Think about the bottom line.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

I've been working 7 days a week, so I haven't kept up. What happened to the spell? :/

Apparently enemies wake up when they are hit. Is this the same with the sleep spell? I think sleeping enemies should wake when you hurt them, but emotion spell is a much more powerful effect:they are weeping and crying in terror, curled up like a fetus, on the floor. If you hit such a hopeless person he should not just stand up and fight back.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Hmm, this is rather huge change for not even being mentioned anywhere. They seem to have changed the "sleep" opcode, which E:H is also using. The new effect is surely intended for the Sleep spell but may be an oversight in case of Emotion:Hopelessness.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i still can't find anywhere the rationale for making the change. was it even done consciously?
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    It appears the change was consciously made for spells like Sleep (which brings the spell in line with its pnp mechanics, and is imo a substantial improvement), but accidentally ported to other spells (Emotion and Greater Command, I think) that use the same code.
    ok so this is obviously a bug. anyone willing to report it? i don't have the game installed right now so i feel like i'm not the right person to do it.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Should be simple enough to run a search function for any ability(both item and spell abilities) that uses the Sleep opcode without the Elf and Half-elf Immunities. If its not a true sleep effect, they won't have their 30/90% immunity to it.
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    While this change was nowhere necessary (emotion being a rather standard save or else spell), i feel that changing the way the sleep effect works is a rather good idea.
    I would welcome the same kind of change in BGEE sleep.

Regarding the spell changes, have they changed mordy sword to copy the effect of the icewind dale version?
    Now, that would be a major change (from a very OP summon to a crappy spell).
    mumumomo said:

While this change was nowhere necessary (emotion being a rather standard save or else spell), i feel that changing the way the sleep effect works is a rather good idea.
    I would welcome the same kind of change in BGEE sleep.

Regarding the spell changes, have they changed mordy sword to copy the effect of the icewind dale version?

I haven't had a chance to test my theory yet but I'm very optimistic about mord sword on my mislead casting FMT, ranged backstabs on a high base damage weapon? Yes please!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Dee These spells.

Earthquake (SPPR702)
    Dragon's Breath (SPWI922)
    Comet (SPWI925)
    mumumomo said:

No its still the same old BG2 spell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2015
    I don't usually play characters that primarily use Wizard spells, so I don't know exactly what the change affected, but how does the present state of the Sleep spell compare to the spell description?

Page 138 of the 2nd Edition AD&D Player's Handbook; top of the 1st column, 3rd paragraph of the spell description: "Slapping or wounding awakens affected creatures but normal noise does not. Awakening requires one entire round."

The Hopelessness effect - Page 157; top of the 1st column, 6th complete paragraph: "7. Hopelessness: The affected creatures submit to the demands of any opponent: surrender, get out, etc. Otherwise, the creatures are 25% likely to do nothing in a round, and 25% likely to turn back or retreat. It counters (and is countered by) hope."

The entire spell descriptions for context:

Sleep (Enchantment/Charm)
    Range: 30 yards
    Components: V, S, M
    Duration: 5 rounds/level
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: Special
    Saving Throw: None

When a wizard casts a sleep spell, he causes a comatose slumber to come upon one or more creatures (other than undead and certain other creatures specifically excluded from the spell’s effects). All creatures to be affected by the sleep spell must be within 30 feet of each other. The number of creatures that can be affected is a function of Hit Dice or levels. The spell affects 2d4 Hit Dice of monsters. Monsters with 4 + 3 Hit Dice (4 Hit Dice plus 3 hit points) or more are unaffected. The center of the area of effect is determined by the spellcaster. The creatures with the least Hit Dice are affected first, and partial effects are ignored.

For example, a wizard casts sleep at three kobolds, two gnolls, and an ogre. The roll (2d4) result is 4. All the kobolds and one gnoll are affected (1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 2 = 3 1/2 Hit Dice). Note that the remainder is not enough to affect the last gnoll or the ogre.

Slapping or wounding awakens affected creatures but normal noise does not. Awakening requires one entire round. Magically sleeping opponents can be attacked with substantial bonuses (see Combat, page 90).

The material component for this spell is a pinch of fine sand, rose petals, or a live cricket.

Emotion (Enchantment/Charm)
    Range: 10 yards/level
    Components: V, S
    Duration Special
    Casting Time: 4
    Area of Effect: 20-foot cube
    Saving Throw: Neg.

When this spell is cast, the wizard can create a single emotional reaction in the subject creatures. The following are typical:

1. Courage: This emotion causes the creatures affected to become berserk, fighting with a +1 bonus to the attack dice, causing +3 points of damage, and temporarily gaining 5 hit points. The recipients fight without shield, and regardless of life, never checking morale. This spell counters (and is countered by) fear.

2. Fear: The affected creatures flee in panic for 2d4 rounds. It counters (and is countered by) courage.

3. Friendship: The affected creatures react more positively (e.g., tolerance becomes goodwill). It counters (and is countered by) hate.

4. Happiness: This effect creates joy and of a feeling of complacent well-being, adding +4 to all reaction rolls and making attack unlikely unless the creatures are subject to extreme provocation. It counters (and is countered by) sadness.

5. Hate: The affected creatures react more negatively (e.g., tolerance becomes negative neutrality). It counters (and is countered by) friendship.

6. Hope: The effect of hope is to raise morale, saving throw rolls, attack rolls, and damage caused by +2. It counters (and is countered by) hopelessness.

7. Hopelessness: The affected creatures submit to the demands of any opponent: surrender, get out, etc. Otherwise, the creatures are 25% likely to do nothing in a round, and 25% likely to turn back or retreat. It counters (and is countered by) hope.

8. Sadness: This creates unhappiness and a tendency toward maudlin introspection. This emotion increases chances of being surprised by -1 and adds +1 to initiative rolls. It counters (and is countered by) happiness.

All creatures in the area at the instant the spell is cast are affected unless successful saving throws vs. spell are made, adjusted for Wisdom. The spell lasts as long as the wizard continues to concentrate on projecting the chosen emotion. Those who fail the saving throw against fear must roll a new saving throw if they return to the affected area.

The relevant portion of Combat, page 90:

Table 51: COMBAT MODIFIERS
    Situation Attack Roll Modifier
    Attacker on higher ground +1
    Defender invisible -4
    Defender off-balance +2
    Defender sleeping or held Automatic*
    Defender stunned or prone +4
    Defender surprised +1
    Missile fire, long range -5
    Missile fire, medium range -2
    Rear attack +2

*If the defender is attacked during the course of a normal melee, the attack automatically hits and causes normal damage. If no other fighting is going on (i.e., all others have been slain or driven off), the defender can be slain automatically.
    Post edited by ValamirCleaver on
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I think this is a bad change for both sleep and emotion. With sleep enemies waking up does make sense, but not without coup de grace implemented. Melee attacks on sleeping enemies should be auto kills if they do any damage. Even the old gold box games managed to implement this.

As for balance, there are still equally powrful alternatives around. All this change does is reducing choice.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    Sleep (1st level spell) & Emotion: Hopelessness (4th level spell) shouldn't be de facto insta-kill spells, reread the spell descriptions. Slay Living is 5th level Cleric & Necromantic. Death Fog, Death Spell & Disintegrate are 6th level. Destruction is 7th level Cleric & Necromantic.

There was no "coup de grace" rule in 2nd Edition. Sleep is still extremely powerful because it effectively allows for 2 rounds of attacks before the target can meaningfully react.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @ValamirCleaver: For what it's worth, a lot of stuff in BG2 is not in 2nd edition. I don't think sorcerers existed at all.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297

Sleep (1st level spell) & Emotion: Hopelessness (4th level spell) shouldn't be de facto insta-kill spells, reread the spell descriptions. Slay Living is 5th level Cleric & Necromantic. Death Fog, Death Spell & Disintegrate are 6th level. Destruction is 7th level Cleric & Necromantic.

There was no "coup de grace" rule in 2nd Edition. Sleep is still extremely powerful because it effectively allows for 2 rounds of attacks before the target can meaningfully react.

It was not called coup-de-grace, but the rules you yourself quoted are essentially a coup-de-grace system.

No other enemies fighting & asleep -> instant kill.

When I use sleep, it often affects all enemies anyway. If not, I kill all other enemies before going after the sleeping ones, anyway. Effectively the old sleep spell was a hell of a lot closer to the intent of the original 2nd edition rules. Especially since the one round rule to awake is also not correctly implemented.

For Emotion in particular, I think the best solution would be to think outside the box a bit: use the new, "wake-on-hit" functionality but make it such that even if/when enemies do awaken, they are still sluggish and less effective.

Simple solution: combine the effects of Sleep and Slow in a single spell. It is higher level than both, so this would be a nice power-up... but it would not be a save-or-die spell like it used to be.

For other effects like Earthquake or Wing Buffet etc., they should be dealt with on a case-by case basis.

not a bad idea

but a simpler solution to make it morebalanced is just shortening the duration, for example 1 round +1 every three levels of caster
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    If Beamdog wants to change the spell from the way has been for the last 15 years it can but I think the change should be an .ini edit.

I thought and think that the 'don't awaken' was already weaker than the helpless enemy = instant kill. And for some reason armor class, damage reduction and like still protect the helpless opponent / npc. As it is, emotion is now weaker than hold person, confusion and chaos.

Each of the specialty wizards has its big spell (except diviner) and 'emotion' makes the enchanter a class worth playing.

And in any case, I'll take fun over balance any day -- the IWD versions of horrid wilting, sunbeam, Mordenkainen's Sword and the like are well balanced but the BG2 versions are a lot more fun. I've used this combo on dragons with a solo sorcerer: chain contingency-helpless with horrid wilting, mordenkainen's sword and fireshield. It worked and it was fun. Wouldn't work with the IWD versions of the spells.

If beamdog wants to nerf those spells it can -- but please retain the originals make the changes optional.