Skip to content

Unbeatable encounter after exiting nashkel mines.

2»

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    Pingwin said:

A few general tips...
    6. Buy your paladin some full plate armour as soon as you can. It might seem insanely expensive the first time you see it for sale (about 9000 GP) but you can get the required gold a lot quicker than you expect, especially once you start finding magic weapons that aren't suitable for your party as you can sell them for a small fortune. Prices drop as your reputation increases as well.

There is also some equivalent armour that can be found lying around if you know where to look. I won't mention what it actually is or where you find it in case you'd rather not cheese your game too much.
    jackjack
  • AZHAZH Member Posts: 4
    After reading the replies i think the real problem is that I am treating this game like an rpg just because it has a good story and interesting characters. Its not an rpg its more like diablo with dice rolls.

A dozen people have told me to go here, that's where the good equipment is. The problem is that it makes no sense to wander about looking for magical items when i have just agreed to help jaheira and khalid investigate the nashkel mines. on the way minsc begged us for help in rescuing dynaheir from gnolls and being the heroic paladin i am i agreed. but to aimlessly wander about for no reason than to find better loot is completely out of character.

That's my main gripe i am being punished for roleplaying in a damn roleplaying game. The problem is not equipment or tactics, Its just a very poorly designed campaign. I'n not even 1/10 through the campaign and the developers expect me to have ground out over 15,000 exp per character already? in a game where even the toughest boss fight only nets you 500 exp spread over six characters?

It makes no damn sense for me to travel west out the mine exit when i am heading north. this bugs me. It shouldn't maybe but it does. immensely so. I am being forced to "game the system" because the developer is the worst DM ever.

Dont take it personally it is nice that people tried to help, but the approach a lot of you describe sounds more akin to playing diablo or world of warcraft than any D&D roleplaying session i have ever participated in.

I think ill have to do the same thing i did with BG2 and just use some cheats. i thoroughly enjoy the story and characters i have seen so far, but the gameplay in this series is a massive dud. so i'll play to the game's strengths.

I had heard BG 1 was less broken but those were lies. instead of "hello every mage you fight is level 20 and casts 4 high level buffs instantaneously, then in the same turn casts an extra long time stop and three level 8 spells." I get "Every encounter is with 5th level clerics and mages whose fear/hold/cham/confuse spells are not only nearly impossible to interrupt but also, you will never make a save" same #$^$ different face.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited January 2015
    Just a thought - do you have everyone in your party who can wear a helmet wearing one? If you're having trouble meleeing kobolds and xvarts, it sounds like you might be getting critical hit to death by way of not wearing helmets.

Your melee fighters will get better, but their main role at low levels is to act as "tanks", holding enemy aggression just long enough for your archers and casters to do their thing.

There's no shame in "kiting" large creatures like ogres that can kill with a single hit. Have one party member attract its attention and then run it around in circles while the rest of the party kills it with slings and arrows. This also can work against ghouls and other dangerous monsters with paralyzing touch/bite.

The best level one mage spell is sleep. It will take out an entire troop of enemies level 4 or lower, though it won't work on the amazons.

You're too low level to be fighting the amazons. Retreat from encounters that are obviously beyond your level.

The best way I've found to beat the amazons is to cast a web spell (or two) on them, then kill them with bows and fireballs (from a wand, or a potion.) Bows alone will do it.

Some hold persons combined with the webs are also good.

But, you need level three or higher casters with access to their level two spells, and maybe a wand of fire. As many others have said, come back when you're higher level and better equipped.

Baldur's Gate does not hold your hand or divide the map into "zones" that are color-coded, labeled, and leveled for your convenience. Every map has easy encounters and hard encounters. While exploring, you will often find yourself in way over your head. You're supposed to know when to run. Keep exploring, so you can find encounters you can handle. The experience and the levels will come.

Oh, also, make sure you're talking to all the npc's in the towns, because you might be missing side quests. They don't have floating question marks over their heads, so you have to do a lot of clicking and talking to random people on the street and in inns. Sometimes I almost wish they had the floating question marks. :)

EDIT: While you were down below ground in the mines, you worked your way east. Look at the world map again. If you were roleplaying that you wanted to report back to the mayor of Nashkel, it is to the west of where you came out, not north.
    JLeeMerinaJuliusBorisov
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited January 2015
    Bg1 can not duplicate a d&d tabletop experience. The dm can adjust the difficulty of the encounters on the fly, and can arrange sessions where not even a single combat dice is rolled, if that's what players prefer. Bg is a computer game, but incorporates d&d rules to a game engine as best as it can, and it offers a big world, thriving with adventure and danger, interesting locales, people, npcs to interact with, dungeons to plunder, monsters to kill, treasures to be found. And an interesting and unique story.

It is an open world game and if you go to a place that is not suitable for your level and party, you will have a hard time. You can save and load and discover areas to your hearts content, thats what you can't do in a pnp tabletop game. Bg may be similiar to diablo in the case of 'kill monster, loot treasure!' But diablo puts emphasis on pure action and mouse-keyboard usage while you are railroaded to a destination and encounter npcs that are not very lively. Bg is a living world with tons of encounters and quests from small to grand. Diablo does not feel like that, at least to me.
    BelgarathMTHJLeejackjack
    AZH said:

That's my main gripe i am being punished for roleplaying in a damn roleplaying game. The problem is not equipment or tactics, Its just a very poorly designed campaign. I'n not even 1/10 through the campaign and the developers expect me to have ground out over 15,000 exp per character already? in a game where even the toughest boss fight only nets you 500 exp spread over six characters?

The game doesn't expect you to have 15000 xp per character, you're supposed to be around level 3 when you face the amazons (4000 xp for a fighter, though expect your mage to be a level behind everyone else at the start of the game).

The following strategy will defeat most enemies(you might need to tweak it for each specific battle but in general this will work):
    1. Equip everyone with missile weapons(preferably the ones they're proficient in).
    2. Find which of your fighter types is your tank (this needs to be the guy with the highest health and lowest armour class).
    3. Ensure your Mage has as many magic missiles memorized as possible. *SPOILER*
    4. Turn on auto pause on enemy sight in settings(means that you almost always get to hit first)
    5. Order your entire party (including tank) to fire at the most damaging enemy you can see, generally mage or cleric though anything using poison is high on the list.
    6. Next switch your tank to his melee weapon and send him to attack the same target.( though any enemy that doesn't target the tank should become his target so he can aggro them and protect everyone else).
    7. Also send your tank to melee any enemies using missile weapons (this will switch them to using their melee weapons which are much worse)
    7. Get your mage to cast a magic missile ONLY when an enemy starts to cast (magic missile is faster than almost any other spell in the game and is a guaranteed hit and will disrupt most spells)
    8. Keep chucking missiles at the mage/cleric.
    9. The first enemy should go down very quickly, move your focus onto the next most damaging enemy.
    10. if there are many enemies you might want to send in a second tank ( either to manage pesky enemies that slip through your lines or to take the pressure off your other guy).
    11. Repeat steps 5 through 9.

*SPOILER*
    Go to the friendly arm inn. walk east until you come across an evergreen tree. hold tab and you should see something to loot, do so and you'll find a ring which when identified and equipped will double your level 1 mage spells.

BelgarathMTHJuliusBorisov
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    AZH, honestly, you're just bitching now. If you expected a tabletop-like experience, I'm sorry, but no solo crpg will give you that. As Lunar said, the game doesn't have a game master to help the player. It gives other tools to avoid the frustration of a death though. Most notably : you can save and reload. You can't do that in pnp (or in diablo, or world of warcraft, to be fair). But don't be ashamed of doing so.

If you've already been a GM, you've probably seen your players step in the very wrong place and bailed them out because no one wants the entire party to be wiped. The game can't do that, but it let's you reload. You took what seemed like the logical path, roleplaying wise, and you died? Well, maybe you didn't use the powers at your hand at their best. Or maybe, just maybe, the guys who made the scenario didn't thought you'd be here so fast and you're facing things that are too strong for you.

In that case, are you really being punished? The Amazons, if you go straight to them, are conveniently located right after a save point. You won't lose anything by just reloading that and taking another path.
    lunarBelgarathMTHwubbleSkatan
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579
    edited January 2015
    AZH said:

After reading the replies i think the real problem is that I am treating this game like an rpg just because it has a good story and interesting characters. Its not an rpg its more like diablo with dice rolls.

A dozen people have told me to go here, that's where the good equipment is. The problem is that it makes no sense to wander about looking for magical items when i have just agreed to help jaheira and khalid investigate the nashkel mines. on the way minsc begged us for help in rescuing dynaheir from gnolls and being the heroic paladin i am i agreed. but to aimlessly wander about for no reason than to find better loot is completely out of character.

It makes no damn sense for me to travel west out the mine exit when i am heading north. this bugs me. It shouldn't maybe but it does. immensely so. I am being forced to "game the system" because the developer is the worst DM ever.

Dont take it personally it is nice that people tried to help, but the approach a lot of you describe sounds more akin to playing diablo or world of warcraft than any D&D roleplaying session i have ever participated in.

I think ill have to do the same thing i did with BG2 and just use some cheats. i thoroughly enjoy the story and characters i have seen so far, but the gameplay in this series is a massive dud. so i'll play to the game's strengths.

I had heard BG 1 was less broken but those were lies. instead of "hello every mage you fight is level 20 and casts 4 high level buffs instantaneously, then in the same turn casts an extra long time stop and three level 8 spells." I get "Every encounter is with 5th level clerics and mages whose fear/hold/cham/confuse spells are not only nearly impossible to interrupt but also, you will never make a save" same #$^$ different face.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that it doesn't make sense for you to randomly wander around unless specifically directed to go somewhere by a quest, and in fact, I feel that some of the advice that you've been given in this thread has been somewhat inaccurate or misleading.

I actually just completed a playthrough (the one that the screenshots I posted are from, in fact) in which I basically stuck to the beaten path for most of the game and did a minimal amount of wandering, and it worked out great. I know that several posts here have told you that the game "rewards exploration," but I think that the opposite may also be true - one of the very first people that you meet after leaving Candlekeep advises you to "stay close to the roads" because it will give you the least amount of trouble. The great thing about BG1 is that, unlike BG2, it can be played using a variety of approaches (RPing, powergaming, or a mix of both) and you can be equally successful at it.

I think that the problem in your case is that, in order to have uncovered the secret passage out of the Nashkel mines that led you to the Amazons, then you must've gone off the beaten path and wandered around, meaning that you contradicted your own playing style. If you were truly RPing, then once you killed Mulahey, you should've backtracked out of the mines following the same route that you entered, so you could advise the guy standing outside the mine entrance of what you've just done.

Also, as someone else suggested, if you're having this much trouble with kobolds even at this early stage of the game, then you're probably doing something strategically wrong, although it's impossible to tell exactly what that might be just from reading your posts.

And I disagree that it doesn't make sense for you to leave west out of the secret passage - IMO, that's the way that it seems to make the most sense for you to leave, since your location is far east of the mines area.

BelgarathMTH
  • MerinaMerina Member Posts: 303
    AZH said:

It makes no damn sense for me to travel west out the mine exit

Now wait a mo... Of course it does!

Let me explain:

Why did you take the back exit instead of returning to the front, the safe main entrance? The back exit is even protected by monsters. Isn't that suspicious? You don't know where that way ends. What if it's a way to enter the cellar of a stronghold? What if it leads deeper into enemy territory?

If you're really into role-playing, decide carefully where to move and when to move.

I really don't understand why you insist on entering unknown territory before returning to Nashkel to report your findings. You've learned that defeating Mulahey has ended your Nashkel quest.

When I found the back exit the first time I played BGEE, I thought twice and decide against taking it.
    AZH said:

when i am heading north.

You head north in an unexplored area where you hope for Nashkel to be near. What if north lead to just another unknown area?

You're way too easily frustrated. Not funny. :neutral_face: If there were no way to continue the game at that point, I would understand it. But it won't be the only enemy that is a surprise. You can enter a tavern and will be attacked right at the door. Just don't listen to all the heroes who claim they never run away or they play "blind" as if they haven't seen parts of the game before. You surely cannot buff/prepare yourself in front of every door your want to open. :wink:
    BelgarathMTHwubble
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    It makes perfect sense to go out the back exit from the mines. First time I played the game, I assumed I would come out somewhere closer to Nashkell than I actually came out. And I got killed by the amazons if I recall correctly. There is plenty more that can kill off an unwary party in that area too.

BG is one of those games where you have to get used to the quirks of the combat/magic system and also learn which areas are good to explore and which should be left till later. If you want to find out for yourself rather than reading walkthrus, you will get killed a lot.

wubble
    Merina said:

Just don't listen to all the heroes who claim they never run away or they play "blind" as if they haven't seen parts of the game before. You surely cannot buff/prepare yourself in front of every door your want to open. :wink:

I resolutely refuse to metagame no matter how many times that I play the game. However, I believe (and my experiences have supported this) that the game was deliberately structured in such a way so that a person who sticks to the beaten path will generally avoid the kinds of "unbeatable" situations that the TS is describing, and the game itself continually urges you to follow that path. For example, the guy that you meet after recruiting Imoen explicitly advises you to stick to the roads, while people who tell you about Firewine or Durlag's will clearly indicate that only a more experienced adventurer should go there. By contrast, a low level party who decides to head north from the FAI, when the game is clearly directing you to travel south, will get its ass kicked.

Just like in real life, traveling off the beaten path is a double-edged sword - you may find some surprising rewards, as others here have noted, or you may find yourself completely overwhelmed, such as when you stumble upon a spawning point for vampiric wolves. The Amazon encounter (and the Amazon area as a whole, for that matter) is an example of the latter.
  • Dream TheoryDream Theory Member Posts: 1
    I have not read all of the suggestions above, so forgive me if this has already been suggested. You can inch up to an enemy party. In this game, as in most games there is a limit to how far you can "see," but this also applies to the bad guys. Use the map reveal as a strategy. If you don't see them, they don't see you. as soon as the first enemy is revealed, pull your guys back. The enemy will step forward into your spotlight/ radius of vision, and your team can pick them off one at a time. The space bar can slow your advance down to small steps if necessary. Happy hunting!
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited January 2015
    Turn the difficulty slider down a notch? Change your tactics, you are clearly so set in your ways that you aren't considering every spell in your arsenal - You have an arcane caster, perhaps you should TRY a sleep spell (granted that Dynaheir is not able to cast it, but if I remember correctly you did just come out of a mine where a certain depressed wizard just was) OR cast Horror should you have access to level 2 spells. Buy a damned scroll from high hedge I really don't care, you aren't doing yourself any favours by holding this "I must be logical therefore I cannot walk westwards I must walk north as such my logic dictates".

The story first of all implies that you RETURN to Nashkel and claim that the mine is safe THEN go to Beregost - not the other way around. But heck you'd probably find Nimble hard to deal with too.

You have been told many reasonable alternatives as to how to deal with this encounter, and yet you are still hung up?

For the record, (roleplaying aside) you can do this encounter as a level 1 mage on insane difficulty (Infact it would take you exactly 1 spell to cast) - if you know what you are doing encounters like these are fairly trivial. Alveus Malcanter would approve of such a hearty feat.

Post edited by DetectiveMittens on
    I read the entire second half of that in Irenicus' voice.
    JuliusBorisovlunar
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    Merina said:

Buy a damned scroll from high hedge

High Hedge ... it assumes that the party explores in and around Beregost as well. That won't work for parties, who are not curious enough ... and who run to Nashkel with haste. You need to cross several maps with no idea what you will find in Nashkel. If you stay on the road, you run into enemies, ... but you can complete minor quests that way, too. If you avoid the road, you can avoid enemies, ... but not gain XP.
    One assumes one spends satisfactory amounts of time in Beregost - one would therefore be inclined to travel west of Beregost to re-obtain Perdue's Sword, and thusly stumble upon Thalantyr in residence, save the game and try to murder him (unsuccessfully), before realizing he is much better off left alive.
    Merina said:

The story first of all implies that you RETURN to Nashkel and claim that the mine is safe THEN go to Beregost - not the other way around. But heck you'd probably find Nimble hard to deal with too.

Nimbul ... earlier: Karlat and Neira (not Neera!). Worse: Karlat's replacement for higher level parties, who have avoided him early.
    Karlat has a replacement D:?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

Merina said:

Buy a damned scroll from high hedge

High Hedge ... it assumes that the party explores in and around Beregost as well. That won't work for parties, who are not curious enough ... and who run to Nashkel with haste. You need to cross several maps with no idea what you will find in Nashkel. If you stay on the road, you run into enemies, ... but you can complete minor quests that way, too. If you avoid the road, you can avoid enemies, ... but not gain XP.
    One assumes one spends satisfactory amounts of time in Beregost - one would therefore be inclined to travel west of Beregost to re-obtain Perdue's Sword, and thusly stumble upon Thalantyr in residence, save the game and try to murder him (unsuccessfully), before realizing he is much better off left alive.
    Merina said:

Nimbul ... earlier: Karlat and Neira (not Neera!). Worse: Karlat's replacement for higher level parties, who have avoided him early.
    Karlat has a replacement D:?
    Whoa I never knew Karlat got replacement neither! Who/what is it?
    JLee
    edited January 2015
    Merina said:

I resolutely refuse to metagame no matter how many times that I play the game.

Which basically means that you need to Find Traps always, because even outside there are areas with web traps.
    That's precisely what I do, in fact.
    Merina said:

As a thief you don't know whether you can disarm a trap. If your skill is too low, you take damage. You don't drink a potion before every trap.

I send my thief to disarm every trap that I come across. Not every trap gives damage if you fail to disarm, and if it does, I just accept the outcome. For the sake of RPing, I'll even send my thief to try to disarm one of the skull traps in the final encounter with Sarevok, even though I know that they'll fail.

Merina said:

What if it's a Death trap?

I'm actually not familiar with those, so I have no reason to fear what I don't know.

Having said all that, I actually have to go back and amend my original statement for one particular exception:

That sirine that you meet who insta-kills you with a kiss.

Normally, I would never initiate a dialogue with anyone other than my charname, but this encounter is structured so that I have no choice.

On the flipside, if I'm sticking to the beaten path in the manner that I described earlier, I don't come across this encounter anyway.

I would go out on a limb and say that I've completed playthroughs that were virtually 100% metagame free. My actions were guided entirely by either suggestions/hints/advice provided to me by my journal entries or in-game characters, or my own learning experiences over the course of the game.

Every time that I play BG1, I like to feel like I'm exploring the game for the very first time - and that's surprisingly easy for me to do, since it's easy to lose track of where things are located in the vast world (for example, I can never quite remember exactly where Bassilus and Drizzt are, and I can never remember exactly how many Cloakwood areas there are and in what order they're arranged).

lunar said:

Whoa I never knew Karlat got replacement neither! Who/what is it?

Our "scribe" is on vacation ... need to ask him for details, news ... I remember an Ogre/Berserker similar to the Ogre in Blade & Stars inn in Baldur's Gate, just that you can't talk him into leaving. We had been to Durlag's Tower before Baldur's Gate.

Red Sheaf inn is easy to forget ... one place you don't need to enter. No interesting things in there except for Perdue or the hints from Raleo Windspear for newbies.

I send my thief to disarm every trap that I come across.

But do you really explore carefully everything around Friendly Arm Inn, too? Everytime you replay BG? And on the way south to Nashkel? Even with a thief, the party then cannot move at normal speed. The thief must be at the front to find traps reliably.

Do you forcefully erase the Everymemory Ring or the Ankheg Plate from your memory? Once you know where to find it, you can simulate finding it again ... as if it were the first time ... but is it worthwhile? You know there's nothing else of interest in that area, so walking a long way in Find Traps mode is just a waste of time.

Talkin' bout thieves... stealing and pickpocketing suffers from a similar problem. Someone playing a thief might try stealing from everyone you meet. That's the only way to find out who owns something valuable. But you never know how skilled you need to be. Is 75 enough for Algemon? 85 is. It's easy to forget about the minimum skill. Eventually you've made the experience ... and then you try to become a better thief with specific goals and targets. Why would you enter Thunderhammer's shop at night? Okay, sometimes it just happens when you return from another area. The shop is not locked. The chests are. But if you always visit the shop only during opening hours, you will never find out what's in the chests.

I don't know every house in Beregost either. And for some houses, it's easy to forget whether one can unlock all doors/chests very early without casting Knock or buffing strength. The pros know where to find wands upstairs in some commoner's house. They also know/remember whether strength 18/75 is enough to break a lock or whether it must be strength 21. Exploring every house again and again would take hours. One would also need to create a list of which places to revisit later.

Not every trap gives damage if you fail to disarm, and if it does, I just accept the outcome. For the sake of RPing, I'll even send my thief to try to disarm one of the skull traps in the final encounter with Sarevok, even though I know that they'll fail.

Those are details that increase the fun for me, too. I don't wanna write a walkthrough about all such things. When I remember the traps, I don't remember whether they can be disarmed. Sometimes I vaguely remember they are dangerous ones, ... and the incentive to drink a potion or cast protection spells is higher, but only for the current playthrough. Next game I decide again what to do.

And I always forget about the many bats, too, ... they make it harder to set skull traps.

Shoal the Nereid ...
    instant death? ... Only if you choose to kiss her. And why would you do that? She's a hostile witch. Helping her? Okay, the party may look into that. But kissing her? Come on! It makes no sense. You get more XP if you don't take such a risk and kill her. If you hope for an unknown reward, you experiment. Or you've done it before and remember the outcome.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Merina said:

Shoal the Nereid ...

instant death? ... Only if you choose to kiss her. And why would you do that? She's a hostile witch. Helping her? Okay, the party may look into that. But kissing her? Come on! It makes no sense. You get more XP if you don't take such a risk and kill her. If you hope for an unknown reward, you experiment. Or you've done it before and remember the outcome.
    Shoal literally forces a kiss on whoever is talking to her. If you refuse, she responds by 'insisting'. Death screen. Seriously, it's impossible not to metagame her, unless you use an NPC as your party's face.
    Attacking her without talking to her is also metagaming, as she's not hostile and has a name, which anyone who hasn't played before would assume means that she has a quest or is part of a quest, so naturally they'll want to talk to her (assuming that non-metagaming is like playing for the first time).

Merina
  • ScourgeScourge Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2015
    You know what. People call bg hard. But bg is not that hard.

People call Dark souls hard. But two generations ago, the difficulty you can met in Dark souls was a 'stable' theme amongst games.

Dark souls is not that hard. It's just that comparing the good gamers we had once, with the shit gamers we got now, people like to call it 'hard'

Nowadays we got games like oblivion and Skyrim that pose no difficulty, no threat, nothing at all. And there are still people blaming they are too hard.

Edit: you are lucky you aren't playing ToB with SCS. Because you fear kobolds, but I assure you, kobolds are nothing compared to the people you are going to meet there with that mod.

Nimran said:

Shoal literally forces a kiss on whoever is talking to her. If you refuse, she responds by 'insisting'. Death screen. Seriously, it's impossible not to metagame her, unless you use an NPC as your party's face.
    Attacking her without talking to her is also metagaming, as she's not hostile and has a name, which anyone who hasn't played before would assume means that she has a quest or is part of a quest, so naturally they'll want to talk to her (assuming that non-metagaming is like playing for the first time).

You are correct. :blush: That's how memory plays tricks on me... most recent has been a Sorceress solo run. No way I could have survived Shoal then. I only remember I rejected her and got 5,000 XP for killing her. Perhaps a fault of rushing through the game. Solo is boring. Only real goal was to finish the game and import into BG2EE.
    Nimran
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    I have a real problem bashing Baldur's Gate for not being roleplaying realistic because it places a hard encounter on a natural path of your character and you don't want to run and hide. Why do I think you would be slaughtered by the Nazgul at the beginning of the Lord of the Rings and then complaining about how the story isn't worthy of tabletop roleplaying because you couldn't handle the encounter that early?

Think of LOTR for a worthy story driven roleplaying simulation. There were plenty of side quests, running away when discretion was the better part of valor, etc. Many encounters were only winnable because of growth and item collecting done by the characters earlier in the story (think the spiders and Frodo with the ring and Sting).

If the game set nothing but low level encounters for you on the most natural path then it would not be the dangerous setting that it is supposed to be. It is an expected part of the game that you will get beat sometimes and have to reload. If you expect a no reload experience with no metagaming then you are never going to be satisfied.

There is nothing wrong with how you have played but take what comes, reload and work your way around it. You don't have to keep attacking the Nazgul everytime you see them!
    JLeejackjackAstroBryGuywubble
    edited January 2015
    Merina said:

But do you really explore carefully everything around Friendly Arm Inn, too? Everytime you replay BG? And on the way south to Nashkel? Even with a thief, the party then cannot move at normal speed. The thief must be at the front to find traps reliably.

Do you forcefully erase the Everymemory Ring or the Ankheg Plate from your memory? Once you know where to find it, you can simulate finding it again ... as if it were the first time ... but is it worthwhile? You know there's nothing else of interest in that area, so walking a long way in Find Traps mode is just a waste of time.

Speaking personally, I like to take my time when playing BG1 and appreciate my surroundings, so moving slowly while my thief detects traps (usually from the 3rd position in the party, behind 2 meatshields - I've generally found that to be reliable) is fairly consistent with how I like to play anyway. And I usually hit the "tab" key periodically as my party moves along, to uncover any "hidden" treasures.

If I'm genuinely RPing, then I will usually explore a non-city area only until I've reached an intended destination or achieved a particular goal (for example, during my most recent playthrough, I only explored the gnoll fortress area until I found Dynaheir, and then left). In cities, I usually try to explore them in their entirety, but if I'm RPing a good-aligned character, then I will only enter houses with unlocked doors and never steal from someone else's property. Of course, playing in this manner will mean that I will miss out on some noteworthy loot and maybe even NPCs (for example, during my most recent playthrough, I never came across Coran, and only came upon just one of the game's several tomes), but I find that this also makes the gameplay more unique and immersive.

So yes, maybe it is "just a waste of time" - but I feel that that's partly the point of RPGs, to immerse yourself into a world rather than just continually seek instant gratification. If you just want straightforward hacking, slashing, and loot-grabbing, play Diablo (or BG2, unfortunately).
    BelgarathMTHArcanis
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Xan. Only 1 amazon turns them hostile. Slowly approach, charm one and bring her back alone. Surround the charmed amazon and kill her. As she is charmed you can switch her to using fists to make it easier. Carefully repeat, pulling amazons off the edge until they are down to 1 or 2. Then go for the eyes!
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    You are in an open map. Walk the other way.

Or Kite them one at a time to you. Keep your party position behind entrance and have your thief stealth up until the first one and only that one is in sight and ping it at range and then quickly retreat back to the enterance.
    jackjack
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Personally i would avoid color spray. You may want to go back to this fight later. Having more wands and higher level characters will help.In the meantime do what quests you can manage around beregost and nashkel.