Skip to content

How important are voice actors to a computer RPG?

DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
It may sound silly but , have you ever noticed that certain games could have been much better if the npc's were better voiced?

Neverwinter Nights 2 is an example (my opinion, though) : Everyone has a strong american accent, and while I have nothing against it, it could have sounded better if different races and humans from different regions spoke with distinct intonations.

I believe that BG and IWD had excellent voice actors , their voices were completely part of the character, and not just a "female voice to match the subtitle".

In BG we can clearly realise that Jaheira , Edwin and Dynaheir come from different places, and it makes them more interesting. In IWD you can almost believe that Hrotgar is there beside you, and the sadness in Everard's voice is almost real.

So here's the question - how have felt towards character's voices in RPG games, both positively or negatively?

Comments

• the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Although I enjoy actually HEARING what is said, I often find that game voice actors use hokey accents to represent different stereotypes. On the other hand, it is a distinct pleasure to hear David Warner voice Irenicus. His voice is so perfect for that role.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    As a corollary, I would also ask if there's a discernible benefit or detriment between having voice-overs at all and not have any. It's certainly an interesting question.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Dee said:

As a corollary, I would also ask if there's a discernible benefit or detriment between having voice-overs at all and not have any. It's certainly an interesting question.

I believe that joinable NPC's and plot characters should be voiced by very good actors.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Voice actors are indeed important. Not only for RPG's, mind you, but for a much wider range of genres as well. As a rule of thumb, voices gain in importance the thicker/longer the plot gets and the more complex the dialogues between characters are.

Another very important thing of note is the quality of the voice acting.
    While everyone can grab a mic, it takes far more than that to successfully pull off a character's "voice".
    Be it voice tuning to better fit a written character's image, the fluent usage of numerous accents, multilingualism, or any other verbal techniques for that matter. There's a good reason as to why professionals in this field attended several years in voice acting schools after all.

Needless to say, this applies to any spoken languages. More than once I played games which originally had "good" native voice acting (be it English, German, or Japanese), but failed miserable in other languages. This can happens because the developers themselves are unable to verify the quality of a language they themselves cannot understand. Then they end up picking the nearest speaker at their disposal. Whenever the person in question also has talent sadly doesn't matter in this scenario.
    My personal take on @Dee's question is that it probably like this. Like the others here, I've played a fair few games without it and loved them. Heck, I played Zork, so.... I'd rate it as a nice to have an nothing more.

On the other hand, I've seen a fair few games get low reviews (and therefore lower sales) for the simple reason that they didn't have V/O as part of the package. The newer generation of gamers appear to want stuff like Dragon Age. A lack of Voice over in a game like that would absolutely be critically reviewed for that reason alone. Lower reviews DO lead to fewer sales, it's a fact.

So it comes down to the numbers and your target market. I'd say that most fans of a game like BG (and probably more the older crowd) probably wouldn't let that make or break the game, but "Most" is not "all". And some of the newer crowd WILL put a higher emphasis on having it there.

"Go not to the elves for advice for they will say both no and yes. - Frodo Baggins. The Fellowship of the ring."

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Overall, I'm pretty ambivalent about the topic. I never thought voiced games, even with corny accents or long pauses in places that didn't make any sense (like foreign language dubbing, but that's not entirely the actor's fault), were all that bad. Having grown up on early dubbed Japanese games, I never minded it too much. That said, I also don't mind reading text or subtitles while a voice actor speaks in a language I can't understand (though I don't know if they're really saying what's on the screen, or if they're calling me a moron for not knowing the language), nor do I mind silent games.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I'd rather have more unvoiced dialog than less but voiced.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Too much voiceover = bad;
    No voice over = game might lack depth;
    Some lines are voice, some aren't = good.

I like BG's approach, important lines are voiced, others aren't, but I can enjoy a text cRPG just the same if it offers a good writing (or one wit ASCII chars as graphics that is as addictive as Angband or NetHack).
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    ToEE had horrible voice acting to the point where it effected it negatively in my eyes.

Good voice acting is paramount to add substance, believably and immersion to a game.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    The problem with voicing RPGs is that the player meets a lot of characters on their path, and at some point the game runs out of voice actors and you start hearing the same voices over and over again, even if the actors are good at changing their voice, intonations and imitating accents. Sometimes this spoils the immersion. There is also the problem with ambient dialogue/party banter. In Dragon Age for example, if you pass some location where dialogue is present, Morrigan stops teasing Alistair (or whatever else have you) to let you hear what those chaps are talking about. In BG such a problem could not happen by definition, since every dialogue is a separate entity and can't overlap the other. Anyway, I still like it when the dialogues are voiced, as a good voice actor can really make a character stand out. The suave intonations of Sand and the hilariously brutish manners of Khelgar in NWN2, the metallic voice of Malak in Kotor, Morrigan, brilliantly played by Claudia Black, Irenicus, as mentioned above, and many others just made their respective games feel right.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Two words...
    "Metal Gear?!"
  • skinnydragonskinnydragon Member Posts: 110
    @Squire. Actually in my case it's "Montaron, I *pause* I never loved you" for Xzar but I get your point
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Important. One thing I found annoying about Fallout 3 is the same people doing voices for various characters. At least get someone who can add an accent or change their voice for a different character.
  • CrowseyeCrowseye Member Posts: 28
    Look up Grey DeLisle, Kevin Michael Richardson, Tony Jay, or Tara Strong and tell me these people have not brought joy into your life through their talent.

Good voice work can absolutely enhance a character and contribute to the game's atmosphere. Even if not every line is voiced, once you are familiar with the tone and cadence you can "hear" the characters speaking the lines in your head as you read them.

The most significant problem IMO is finding the sweet spot between conveying information and natural dialogue. People don't speak the way they write, so having somebody straight up read the lines of, say, Planescape: Torment is not making proper use of voice overs as a game component. At the same time, the depth of the writing gets short-changed when it is completely dialogue focused.

For RPGs, using voiceovers primarily to highlight key moments or key conversations that convey character is the way to go IMO.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Grey's sexy voice of Jeanette from Vampire Bloodlines. Kevin and his famous, You must gather your party before venturing forth. Tony Jay another who has a distinctive voice, Kressleck.
  • Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Now that I'm writing for video games, I'm seeing how important voice acting is. If you'd asked me before I'd say I could take it or leave it, but a lot of lines we write have notations on how the dialogue should be delivered. The inflection can change the whole meaning of a sentence. Often it's not critical (as in, the player will still understand the quest or whatever without VO) but nuance is lost.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156

Important. One thing I found annoying about Fallout 3 is the same people doing voices for various characters. At least get someone who can add an accent or change their voice for a different character.

Yeah but then you realise that half the old men in Skyrim are actually Minsc and that's just awesome.
    Squire said:

I'd say it was quite important, when you consider that what most of us remember about the characters from the Baldur's Gate games isn't the many text dialogues that we read, but the voices. "...so I kicked him in the head till he was dead! Hahaha!" is far more memorable to most of us than, say, the long dialogue you have with Sarevok at the end. Most people remember Jaheira by "Yes omnipresent authority figure?" more than the many lines of romantic dialogue in BG2, and what's the first thing we think of when we think of Xzar? I'll bet that in most cases, it's "Montaron! You are so aggravating!!".

With respect, and not to knock the importance of voice acting, I think we remember a lot of those for the simple reason that we hear them over and over AND OVER again. After a while they become part of the background of the game itself.

I'd ask the question, if you turned off the sound or disabled your sound card and played the game, would you still enjoy the experience?
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    i honestly think that when I am playing a 3d game I NEED voice acting. in 3d I can see their lips and when they are saying dialogue I expect them to move and words to come out. If I played Dragon Age Inquisition and turns the sound off and just read sub titles the experience would be much worse imo. Even in DAO I hated saying dialogue and just then getting a response without my character saying anything, but then I find that a bit more acceptable because it is the main character that I am controlling so I can give them the voice I want and read out the dialogue to myself, and then the NPCs will respond to me in full voice. The only thing really missing for me there is I don't see him actually saying anything.

Then we have BG, which I feel does things right for it's own way. You wouldn't be able to possibly see them talking on screen, as the only place to see their face is the portrait, so it doesn't feel like it is detracting from the situation given what is available. They still supply you with some voiced lines, and these lines work well to give you a voice for the characters and then you can read the rest of the dialogue in that voice. Generally also a lot of the really emotional or important lines are voiced to express the character's feelings.

There is also the case of bad voice acting, in which case of course I can agree I would rather not even hear that. That and there are stuff like the Elder Scrolls games that reuse voices. I'll admit I can deal with reused voices, but mostly for totally non important characters, not when you put a single voice on a single race/gender option. Unfortunately Bethesda games all do really bad at this. You meet a major character and then some random guy sounds just like him. I can, however, get around Bioware's way of doing it with the additional voices that act out a bunch of random eavesdrop conversations and minor quest givers. In that case it is a forgetable or even no name character that I won't think back to when I hear that voice again.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I feel it depends on the game. Voice acting (even limited voice acting like BG has, with only some lines voiced) makes you get a better feel for the characters and brings a lot of character to the NPCs. I mean, even Imoen, whose character and voice were added at the last minute, I feel she has a *lot* of character due to her voice-acted lines. I actually look forward, when starting a new game to that, "Heyya, It's me, Imoen!" line, I'd actually miss it if it wasn't there. Same with characters like Ajantis (even though I've only recruited him on "No NPC Resurrecting" Runs) and Alora. (I almost never recruit evil characters, being as I usually play good or at best neutral characters.) But, like @skinnydragon, I remember Xzar's "Montaron, I… I never loved you!" more than his initial line. Even his "I want my mommy!" is more memorable to me.

For other games, where voice is less important, I can see with not having any (like Roguelikes, of which I occasionally play Angband, and Spiderweb Software Games like Exile/Avernum, Nethergate, Geneforge, and so on). I don't think I have ever played a fully voiced game (off the top of my head, I can't remember any), so I haven't had time to get used to that. I do get, though, that even in fully voiced games, sometimes, the dialogue options you pick are only the gist of what you say (and the actual voiced lines differ, which can be annoying) and most players don't listen to them, anyhow, forwarding through the conversation to get to the "good bits" (Quest, reward, whatever).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.