Skip to content

Grum's Magnificent Trainwreck - RP-No Reload Attempts

Comments

• MhamzaMhamza Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2015
    Good luck with Thorek. After reading through Durak's tale, I can't wait for Thorek's own, particularly his interactions with Yeslick considering their similar classes.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Shadowdancers are indeed awesome, you can also do this trick by clicking on your weapon slot.
    The goal is to start the "Leaving Shadows" message, which starts the cooldown before hiding becomes available again (6 seconds) but you becomes visible after a bit longer (about 15 seconds). This way you can be permanently invisible and backstabing every round forever.

Good luck with your next attempt !
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    I have updated the previous post, and will be starting a BG2 writeup. A novel take on the Blackguard class. For my enjoyment, I am using the Vhalior voice set from planescape torment.

What would be the best weapon for him to have? He'll get some more proficiency points soon. I'm thinking of going for halberds, but I'm not sure. Thoughts?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Nice to see a new character! Good luck to Godric.

@Gotural runs a Blackguard now and I'm sure he's got some ideas about the optimal proficiencies for this kit for BG2.

I see you've gone for two-handed weapons and already cover a sword and a quaterstaff. I think that later in the game, a spear may be a good choice because of the Impaler. But there're excellent late-game halberds as well. As for the ranged weapon, maybe a crossbow would also be an option so that you could use poisoning bolts as an addtion to your arrows. The Firetooth crossbow is not very far if you want, so...
  • ArnaeusArnaeus Member Posts: 90
    Love it. I've never really been a fan of the evil for the sake of evil so I find your take on the alignment refreshing
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    edited April 2015
    Hi @Grum ! To my mind Blackguards can be powerful with any weapon, this is something I like about Paladins, Rangers and multiclassed Fighters in general, the fact they can only put two pips in any weapon makes them able to use a good variety of weapons instead of focusing on one or two for Grandmastery.

Still, since Poison Weapon is an elemental on-hit effect (and a very lethal one !), it is best combined with a high number of APR. I would advice the classic dual wielding path with an APR weapon in off-hand for damage, or DoE for tanking, or you can also use a Bow and be in my opinion an even better Archer than the Archer kit itself.

But anything will be good, really. A Blackguard using Poison Weapon + GWW with Staff of the Ram +6 or The Ravager +6 is a very, very fearsome sight.

Excellent writing as always, another playthrough I'll follow, good luck !
  • DemonicDemonic Member Posts: 75
    Great story, nice to see a new point of view on those evil alignments.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Godric rocks! If you're using Vhailor's voiceset, I'd go with Axes. That way lines like "I'm your fate and fate carries an executioner's axe" make more sense. My Vhailor-voiced LN Half-Orc Barbarian Styn uses axes as well: )

I agree with Gotural though that poison and APR make a very good combination...
    Aye...I've decided to go halberds and to think of them as a two handed axe. Because as you say, the voice does say that.

Also, Gotural is so right about poison and speed. Godric is currently going strong, having just finished Neera's quest list. A mage fight ended quite quickly because a well placed arrow applied poison. And then the second did as well. And the third. Which, as you may have guessed, means for a very, very, very dead mage.
    edited May 2015
    "All good peoples hang their head in shame! Another comrade has fallen... there shall be a mighty reckoning for this!!"

Godric had to admit, that this was a fairly ominous start. Khalid was missing. Dyhaneir was dead. Jaheira...she had just stopped twitching. She had been fighting a Duergar clan chieftain. The dwarf had split her from sternum to leg with one blow of his axe. It was most upsetting, as there were few warriors who even came close to sharing his particular notion of justice. Fewer still who had the power to heal.

For that was the problem. He trusted the Gods as much as he trusted the demons of the Abyss. Cowards and hypocrites above, rank evil below. The followers of the Gods were just as bad, never willing to do what was necessary to end the forces of evil once and for all. He *needed* her back...and yet, the only one with the power to bring her back was her.

"Our jailer will pay for this Minsc. I *swear* it." He all but whispered it. It was an oath, one that he meant with all of his dark, damned soul. He would have Irenicus' head for this.

"Then say it louder! We must inspire fear in evil! Quiet tales of hamsters are foolish, but a man and his hamster that tear evil limb from limb? That's scary!"

Imoen followed numbly behind the two warriors, babbling something about candlekeep and its books as they walked. Godric wasn't listening to her, nor was he listening to Minsc. His head pounded. Nothing made sense. What was he doing here? Where was he? And who was this 'Irenicus', this elven mage who had abducted them?

So lost in his thoughts was he, that he paid no true mind to friend or foe alike. A cambion fell beneath his blade. Minsc, in his kindness, promised to aid a group of trapped dryads. Imoen freed a djinn slaves. He...he found what was left of Khalid. Imoen said something about watching the warrior be dissected...

-------------------------

To be continued. Maybe. Sorry, but I have 160 screenshots from Godric's adventures. But when I uploaded them, they all got jumbled up. I was trying to write this up (he is in Watcher's Keep now!), but it takes so long to figure out where each one is. Gah!

Post edited by Grum on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    RIP, Godric!

I too usually have a lot of screenshots and the site works the way that you can't see BMP thumbnails.

I use a BMP-JPEG converter (easy and fast), for ex., http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-jpg, and after the converting process it's easy for me to operate with the attached files.

So maybe you can do the same:)
    I got so frustrated with the images that I went to another saved game...and forgot to make my usual backup. Meaning that my last save for Godric is in SoA. So...yeah. That is not going to fly.

Remember! Don't play past 1am! You make mistakes...
    Ok, I have an itch to continue a write up. But I lost Godric at Watcher's Keep, having already beaten SoA (poison, immune to level drain...backed up by very liberal castings of horrid wilting from party members) let him wreck everything that came close. His only close call was with mind flayers and the cambion with the deck of many things (saved by mordakin's sword tanking).

So yeah. Bummed. For a write up, here are my options:

1) I've got a fighter/cleric ready to do SoA. I'd change the backstory of the write up so that he isn't Gorion's Ward, for a change of pace. (Hint: A dwarf priest of Moradin from a hold that appears in ToB)
    2) An elven archer in BG1 (crossbows...as part of the watchers he trained in the use of a non-elven weapon)
    3) Another shot at a paladin (a cavalier with a hero complex. He and his squire, Garick, would go on a naive quest to bring light to the sword coast)

Of the three, is there any that someone hear would want to read?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Grum said:

1) I've got a fighter/cleric ready to do SoA. I'd change the backstory of the write up so that he isn't Gorion's Ward, for a change of pace. (Hint: A dwarf priest of Moradin from a hold that appears in ToB)

This, because it seems like something completely different.

Sorry about the loss of pics and saves. Godric was an interresting character concept, one which I had hoped would live on for a long time and give me an interresting read.
    edited August 2015
    deleted because reasons...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Grum said:

3) Another shot at a paladin (a cavalier with a hero complex. He and his squire, Garick, would go on a naive quest to bring light to the sword coast)

Of the three, is there any that someone hear would want to read?

That sounds hilarious. Just don't name him "Brave Sir Robin".
    edited August 2015
    And thus begins a new RP playthrough! I haven't totally decided as of yet whether it will be solo or not...

<20 years ago>

"I will not allow it! I will not taint these hallowed halls with this...this filth!"

Ulraunt pointed an accusatory finger at the small, green, child which was playing near the pond. The child was obviously of some orc-ish descent. The green skin was a dead giveaway.

Gorion, a mage already past his middle years, shook his head sadly. "It is but a child! You cannot condemn him merely because of his heritage."

"I can and I have. You know where you found *it*. You know what *it* can become."

"One is not born evil. Evil is created."

"I wash my hands of this! That child will be the death of you. I say this now and you will know it to be true."

Ulraunt stormed off into the main library, leaving Gorion and his ward behind. The young child stared at the crow with its skeletal feet and smiled.

Grum's life was not what one would call easy. Then again, by the standards of most in the realms, it wasn't what you would call hard either.

The half-orc had but one dream, and that was to be a mage like his foster-father. It was a dream which was never to be fulfilled. None of the tutors within the keep would take him on as an apprentice, not even his own foster-father. Whenever he asked, he always received the same answer. "Some things are just not meant to be." And always it came with that same sad smile which he had grown so accustomed too.

Instead, he was given to the Watchers, for it was decided that defending the keep through martial endeavors was more to his strengths. Grum did not take kindly to this, for he saw it as an insult. A rebellious youth, he resisted the discipline and regimented lifestyle of the Watchers. And for every infraction, he heard the same whispered, or stated, remarks. 'Well of course he would act like that. Just look at him!' Everyone thought of him as a brute based on his skin and his tusks. Eventually even the Watchers had enough of him, when he injured Jondalar while sparring.

Many within the keep called for him to be thrown out. And he would have been if not for Gorion's influence. That, and Winthrop. The innkeeper declared that he needed someone like Grum to run the inn, pointing to the half-orc's prodigious strength and endurance.

And that, as it was, became his life. It was there in the Candlekeep Inn that he found the only people in his life who seemed to accept him for who he was. There was Imoen, a girl just about his age, who helped Winthrop run the inn, and old Winthrop himself. A fat, content, cheerful man who always had a joke ready without regard of to whom he told it to or what the occasion. And as such, the years rolled by. With Imoen serving drinks and making beds, Grum tending the stables and lifting goods, and Winthrop happily overseeing it all.

It was a hard life, but there were many who had it worse. Yet for Grum, living in Candlekeep...he was always in the shadow of his dream. Knowing that someone out there had decided that half-orcs couldn't be mages, regardless of their ability, passion or drive. He knew, deep down, that he was worth more than what everyone thought of him. That he was more than a beast of burden. And the anger...it grew, and it boiled inside of him.

Day by day the injustices grated on him. When a delegation of paladins and knights from the most holy order of the Flaming Fist came to deliver a single, sacred tome, he nearly strangled a squire who loudly asked why nobody had put down the beast in the stables. It was Imoen who had calmed him, with jokes about what was in the tome that they had brought and the dubious nature of its contents.

He despised the visiting scholars, mages and nobles, and how at best they looked at him with pity. Most looked at him the way they looked at their horses. The worst insisted that Winthrop remove him from their sight.

And through it all, he yearned...to leave.

And now we'll have a chance to read your view on a half-orc. Looks new and promising!

So glad that you've decided to make a new attempt. Let's hope it will be more than "deleted because reasons..." :)
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Great @Grum!
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Very readable. Thanks.
    @Grum I can't see images in both your posts. Maybe you can attach an image to your new post then insert it into the post, copy the code and paste it into the previous 2 posts :)
    bengoshi said:

@Grum I can't see images in both your posts. Maybe you can attach an image to your new post then insert it into the post, copy the code and paste it into the previous 2 posts :)

I no longer have the images...which is less than ideal. I'll find a different place to upload them.

Also as a note...I realized that I made a mistake. I gave Grum ** in single weapon fighting instead of dual wielding. Argh! Well...the show must go on. I suppose it just goes to show how little formal education he got in fighting.

--------------

Despite his bravado, Grum soon found himself lost. Not in a literal sense, the sword coast was mapped out well enough. But he knew not where to go or what to do. His skills, such as they were, lended himself to manual labor, but he had done enough of that in Candlekeep to last him a lifetime. So he did the only thing he could think of...he went to the nearest town (Beregost) and decided to drink away his problems.

It, like most things in his life, did not go quite as planned. A local by the name of Marl took one look at him and pushed his way through the crowd.

"I don't like your type around here."

He was a big man, easily the same size as Grum, which was saying something. He had a simple leather jerkin on which barely contained his large frame. A look of anger was clearly written on his face. Behind him, a much smaller man cheered him on. "You tell him Marl!"

Grum sneered at him and started walking towards the bar, determined to not let himself be bullied out of what was rightfully his. Marl grabbed Grum by the shoulder and spun him around.

"Hey! I told you to get lost! Ain't no room here for ye troublemakin' strangers!"

"I'll go where I like pal! You got a problem with that?!"

Grum could feel his anger rising. It was a problem of his, he knew. A murderous rage which bubbled up from inside his heart. When it erupted he knew neither fear nor pain. There was just a red mist and the desire to tear the target of his ire apart. He blamed it on his orcish heritage.

"You're threatening me?! Practically where I live and you threaten me?! You sure must think you're tought with a blade on your belt! Why don't ya drop that armory you're carrying and put your hide where you mouth is!?"

With that Marl took a swing, hitting Grum squarely in the nose, while the smaller man gave a whistle and a cheer. Grum staggered back a step...and completely lost it. With a roar he surged forward and headbutted Marl in the face. It was an unsporting move, to be fair, given that Grum was wearing a steel helmet. He heard something break. Marl stumbled backwards, his face splattered with blood. A woman screamed, but she sounded distant. All of Grum's anger surged forth like a tidal wave. He threw a clumsy punch which Marl ducked beneath. The man's fist hit Grum squarely beneath the jaw, jerking his head back violently. Marl followed it up with a second punch, but punching scale armor is rarely a good idea. Grum didn't feel the pain, but he felt the anger. With a roar of anger he grabbed Marl and threw him into a table. It broke under the man's weight, and before he could rise the half-orc was on him. Pinning him down with his legs, Grum rained blow upon blow upon Marl. The man tried throwing him off, but the half-orc weighed far too much. He tried punching his way out of the situation, but he was the one on his back and the half-orc was far beyond feeling pain anyways.

As blow after blow landed images flashed before Grum's eyes. Gorion dead. The armored figure standing victoriously over his foster father's corpse. The look on Imoen's face. And years upon years of pent up frustration and aggression came loose like a broken dam. Every sneer that came his way, every sideways glance, every piteous comment towards his appearance, all of it was focused on Marl.

When the haze finally lifted the bar was silent. The man who had egged Marl on yelled at him "You murderous bastard! The flaming fist will get you for this!"

Grum didn't care. He just felt tired. Exhausted, both physically and mentally. And to his surprise, he felt good. He walked over to the man who instinctively took a step back.

"Hey, don't click me. I don't want any trouble!"

"No. You don't. You just enjoy seeing strangers get attacked, don't you? Well I suggest you take your friend to the temple. And remember this. The next time a stranger walks into your 'home, don't start something that you can't finish."

If the man had a retort he wisely kept it to himself. Grum walked out of the bar, feeling both satisfied and somehow ashamed at the same time.
    Well-written as always, @Grum!

Even though it doesn't really matter for the story, I would like to see a pic of the character screen, stats etc. Was that the pic which disappeared?
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    @Grum I have read as far as Durak first reaching Baldur's Gate. Way beyond first-class and a gift to us all. Making a comment mostly so this will show up in my "Participated" log.

I kinda wished you had kept Yeslick though...gets harder and harder for me to imagine RP of a solo playthrough without Mage or Cleric. Wand of the Heavens can be a great asset even if Healing is not all that great an asset for a small party. I really had a surge of empathy as the dwarves came together in that much abused mine.

But then I have always played with Charname +3-4NPCs. Particularly liked the motif of letters being decoded by Xan as story for delay of immediate Bandit Camp.

@Grum I have read as far as Durak first reaching Baldur's Gate. Way beyond first-class and a gift to us all. Making a comment mostly so this will show up in my "Participated" log.

I kinda wished you had kept Yeslick though...gets harder and harder for me to imagine RP of a solo playthrough without Mage or Cleric. Wand of the Heavens can be a great asset even if Healing is not all that great an asset for a small party. I really had a surge of empathy as the dwarves came together in that much abused mine.

But then I have always played with Charname +3-4NPCs. Particularly liked the motif of letters being decoded by Xan as story for delay of immediate Bandit Camp.

It is a welcome surprise, and I dare say an honor, to find that may writing is being read and enjoyed. Thank you for the comment!

Indeed I wanted more characters along. Xan was unexpectedly fun to write and Yeslick was a natural choice. But this was a challenge to have a solo game (or as close as RP would allow). Maybe I'll try again with a non solo run (several ideas have tempted me, but this is a big time commitment that I haven't been ready to make)
  • Eadwyn_G8keeperEadwyn_G8keeper Member Posts: 541
    edited February 2016
    The time commitment is definitely intense for a well-written story with interesting character ~ and much appreciated. Amazing how your outbursts of dialect [Scottish or Irish?] almost always rang true. This coming from a straight-laced academic type who has hardly uttered more than a handful of swear-words in his entire life.

What I generally find more effective are your garden-variety Black Magic rituals stealing hours from the lifestream of anyone or thing that offends me.... Unfortunately, since the election of George Bush, I will probably now live long after the Earth has turned into a Venusian Hell of methane gas and several billion miserable GHOSTS!! ~Cheers~ :)
  • LoldrupLoldrup Member Posts: 291
    How does one add this thread as a favorite thread, such that I will be notified on new postings?
    In the upper right corner, to the right from the thread's topic title, there's a star that you can click. This will put the thread in your "my bookmarks" section. I don't think you will get a note though.

But as a FYI - this thread in particular have not been updated in a loooong time :) I myself had it bookmarked from the very start.