Skip to content

Grum's Magnificent Trainwreck - RP-No Reload Attempts

Comments

• hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    So no chance you'll recruit a band of mercenaries to go in and put to rest Durak's kinfolk's spirits to rest?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    @Blackraven: aye, I'm glad he left too. There are several places in that tower which are downright deadly. The tower is doable, but for a warrior no-reload? Too risky.

@hispls: I've actually already finished the run, and am going back to my screenshots to write this up. So no, he won't be returning. Now, if the game have him a dwarven thief NPC to join with? Then the tower would have happened, no doubt about it!

Grum said:

Now, if the game have him a dwarven thief NPC to join with? Then the tower would have happened, no doubt about it!

We should have multiplayered this. Glorydd would have joined Durak... ;)
    It'd be a dream come true. :)

But I'd have driven you crazy with how slowly I type on my iphone and my inability to play for more than 30 min at a time... :(
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I too would have loved it. :smiley: I've got little experience with multiplayer gaming, but I found it a lot of fun. Slow typing wouldn't be a huge deal for me (I find it impressive enough that people are even capable of playing this game on a phone). Finding the time to play and lags due to connection problems are common issues though.

Early congrats btw for having completed the game :wink:
    Looking forward to reading the details, and I hope we'll see more of Durak in Amn.
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Grum said:

@Blackraven: aye, I'm glad he left too. There are several places in that tower which are downright deadly. The tower is doable, but for a warrior no-reload? Too risky.

@hispls: I've actually already finished the run, and am going back to my screenshots to write this up. So no, he won't be returning. Now, if the game have him a dwarven thief NPC to join with? Then the tower would have happened, no doubt about it!

Really? You can't think of a popular story where some dwarven fighters and say.... for example.... a wizard and a Halfling thief go on an epic quest to reclaim a long fallen dwarven city? Do us a favor and pull a close-to-the-end save game recruit a team, and do the WHOLE TOWER. I'll even allow you 3 reloads if needed for the sake of adding to this grand tale.

Thanks for taking the time to post this though. A fine read.

Wow! A slight, interesting change of perspective there. And what a battle that must have been on the roof of the Iron Throne building... The shield icon in Durak's portrait, was that from a potion or is that Dwarven Defender stance? Do you have the Claw of Kazgaroth? I'm amazed Durak survived that. What a badass!
    Excellent roleplaying there my friend!
    Bravo @Grum! A more than fine read, and an impressive performance.
    Did you melee Sarevok? That would be very impressive my friend!

Like @semiticgod I'd also like to see Durak's tale continue in BG2 :)
    @

Indeed I meleed Sarevok. Drizzt too. Dwarven Defenders are absolute beasts in CC. Take a look at his equipment loadout and stats at the end. He was hitting like a truck and soaking up damage like he was in SoA already.

So, Semicicgod and Blackraven, what party should I use in BG2? I'm not nearly confident enough to do a no-reload solo run with a melee class. I mean...a fighter/thief can get UAI, to get around most of the game's problems. But a pure fighter can't. Many fights you can't melee unless you at least have 'breach.'

What I'm thinking...

(1) Durak
    (2-3) Minsc and Jaheira. Meet them in the dungeons, and each have a need for vengeance. 'fair nuff....kind of hard to kick someone out when they have a burning desire to kill the same person as you.
    (4) Korgan. Because it'd be a dwarven defender and a dwarven battlerager in the same party. That's 2x the amount of dwarven buttkicking!
    (5) Imoen. Because obviously leaving her with Jaheira and Khalid didn't work out so well last time.
    (6) Everyone else!

That is, everyone else gets to stay in only so long as they are needed.

Ex: Do the trademeet quests, and keep Cernd until his personal quest is done.

----

Then again...I'm also itching to try another run which I have planned. Which is what I call the 'shorty run.'

Dwarven Fighter/Cleric
    Jan (thief/mage)
    Korgan battle rager)
    Mazzy (paladin-lite)

2 dwarfs, a gnome and a halfling. Comes with enough thief/mage/cleric power to keep the party going, and enough front liners to not crumble like wet tissue paper.
    Aye, -8 AC wasn't the best when fighting Sarevok. As I hinted in the write up, I had to use invisibility to get away, heal up, and go again. Without defensive stance Durak would have been paste. A berserker solo might well have ended there!

As for the fire resistance, I had memories of Angelo burning parties to a crisp with his arrows. The two rings and helm were insurance against that. Though in hindsight, I indeed could have switched things around after killing him.

---

I'll give it some thought before I start anything. Really plan it out before I start, lest it ends prematurely.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    A party of gnomes, dwarves, and halflings should be quite resistant to magic on its own, particularly if you have Korgan with his excellent immunities. Otherwise I strongly recommend including a couple of clerics (Jaheira and Aerie are quite versatile) for access to Remove Fear, Death Ward, and Chaotic Commands, which I would consider a requirement for a no-reload run without subzero saves across the board.

If you have no such cleric, though, then you might consider allowing one tall person to join your group: Keldorn, since his Dispel Magic will be safer and more flexible if your party isn't using many buffs, and since his MR with Carsomyr will make him almost as hard to disable as your other party members.

Either way, it's a good idea to plan things out first.