Skip to content

You've just started out on your journey from Candlekeep. The question is however...

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
Do you take Imoen with you?
  1. You've just started out on your journey from Candlekeep. The question is however...100 votes
    1. She'll join but not for long! She just happens to die from the first wolf encountered. The fact that she was barefisted while fighting it surely had no bearing on her chance of survival.
        4.00%
    2. Of course! She's my childhood companion after all!
      65.00%
    3. I run the moment I hear "Heya, its me Imoen!"
        3.00%
    4. She'll join my group. But then I'll take all her stuff and kick her out.
      18.00%
    5. Other
      10.00%

Comments

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Imoen is the only NPC that is a consistent staple of all my BG1 playthroughs.
  • CaeDaresCaeDares Member Posts: 182
    Never played with Imoen, never plan on it. But I do love playing through the beginning of the game with those Healing Potions, that Oil of Speed, and the wand of missiles she has. Very nifty!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    She stays until she dies and, to everyone's surprise, her body disintegrates (no resurrection for Bhaalspawn!) or until she loses her usefulness. Either way, she's rarely in my party by the time we arrive in Nashkel.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    There is no reason for her to be killed by a wolf. She's a good archer and you can easily equip her with a short bow and some arrows. She snipes away at the wolf while your (hopefully better armored) self runs interference. Not to mention you can get leather armor for her at the site of Gorion's body. Or you can keep to the road and recruit those two evil goobers (Xar and whazzisname) before heading to Gorion's resting place; they can be fed to the wolves if needed.

Also, she (and Neera, once you get her) can both be temporarily parked at the FA if desired, without them getting huffy and leaving for good. Getting Imoen at level 1 lets you shape her training totally. I train her in both short sword and wakizashi for backstab attacks, and also get her trap disarming ability to maximum by level 7. That way, you can easily dual her over to mage at level 7 if that's what you want. I seriously see no reason NOT to keep her around. Not to mention that you get her a s a mage/thief in BG2, like it or not :P
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356

I could never leave her out in the wilderness alone. At the very least I see her safely to the Friendly Arms. From there it depends on my protagonist’s story for that game.

Yeah, unless one's PC is CE, NE, or CN, I can't really see any RP justification for leaving her stranded out in the wild, especially since she went out of her way to help the PC.
  • NoonNoon Member Posts: 202
    I wanted to vote "other". I usually keep her until i find another thief (safana or coran).
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Huh
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    For me it all depends on the conversation in Candlekeep and your choice of dialogue options at that point (which in turn depends on your alignment/attitude).

If I had previously made it clear to her that I didn't want any company on my travels then I would feel perfectly justified in saying to her: "Move in the general direction of away and leave me alone!" (or words to that effect).

In fact that whole conversion with Imoen in Candlekeep is rather pointless as none of the dialogue options you choose make the slightest bit of difference to what happens later.
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    I usually go for Xzar and Monty in my party so there is no space for Imoen. She comes as far as the FAI and gets dropped off there. She generously gives her potions and magic missile wand to charname though.

I'd keep her if I was going for good characters.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I never grew out of that rebellious anti-authority phase. I'm being told that Imoen is my char's best friend and we grew up together? Ok. As a player I don't know anything about her. Ergo I don't care. Thanks for the potions and sod off.

Of course, this makes BG2 kind of problematic story-wise. Oh well. Everything has flaws.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Honestly, there are so many other interesting options for thieves in BG, I'd rather take any of them over Imoen. When it comes to Imoen and Tiax, the choice is made for me.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Normally she sticks with me. My last play through I wanted something a little different, so I decided she and Khalid would have a little affair and left them to shack up in Joia's house.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited March 2015
    I like to play as a stealthy backstabber so for about 60% of my runs my character is at least partly a thief. In this setup I normally don't have a place for her. And when I don't make Charname a thieving beast, I usually take NPCs that reflect the same concept. I would take Montaron and Shar-Teel for backstabbing fun. Imoen just don't have high STR right away.

Also, I like Tiax a lot. I like his personality, his voice-over and his class combination.

So, nearly every time I start a new game, I just don't see Imoen fit my group.

As for a dualling her right away option, I prefer my mages to be of a certain school for additional +1 spells.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited March 2015
    I almost never bring her along permanently. She's usually part of my inner circle though as long as I'm not playing a psycho (different from evil, I prefer playing evil characters as flawed rather than chaotic stupid) and she's usually in the FAI or Nashkel with Khalid and Jaheira.
    I like to think that my PC keeps them updated about important events and visits them often for drinks/to check how they're doing/to swap info/to creep them out with stories of the bloody outcome of selfish decisions. As much as I prefer having just about any other NPC besides these three my party, the arrangement is strictly business. Also ties in well with the start of BG2 (gives them various reasons to stick around even after Sarevok dies and your old party disbands) and whatever I decide to do with them afterwards.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,154
    Imoen is the one NPC I consider essential. I have never played the game (and I mean all the way through ToB) without her in my party. She's sort of synonymous with BG to me!
    Even the very first time I played I thought of her as little sister before I even knew that she really was.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I always at least take her somewhere safe. If I'm playing an evil party or I realllly just want to change things up I'll leave her in Beregost or the Friendly Arms Inn. Sometimes I'll summon up Aurora and dual Imoen super-early or just replace her outright. Or if I'm trying an evil run I'll replace her with someone else with a quickness.