Skip to content

Romance Restrictions

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
This discussion was created from comments split from: Romance with Viconia De Vir in BG2 EE..

I split this off from the original thread because OP asked a specific question about Viconia in BG2:EE, and I didn't want to flood him/her with notifications of a more generalised discussion.
kcwiseRavenslightlolienJuliusBorisov

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Heindrich that is a good point, but from a developer's standpoint I don't see the point of applying such racial restrictions... and the fact that there was no one whatsoever for a dwarf? What is the point of that? If you are going to put romances in the game why make your characters so shallow?
    kcwise
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    hmm, I'm curious now. everything seems to be biologically compatible with humans, but is there precedence for other races? A kender/gnome combo would be terrifying.
    Ravenslight[Deleted User]kcwise
    I once heard that dragons could breed with any creature... I don't remember where though...
    wubblekcwisebooinyoureyes
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    yes, dragons can shapeshift, can't they?
    kcwisebooinyoureyes
    Dying here... What is nsfw?
    kcwiseRavenslightlolien
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    I actually feel alignment is pretty important. We all know opposites attract, but I think at least one match on the alignment scale is going to help in a romance.

Lawful Good Gnomeo hates it when Chaotic Good Dwarffette scatters her axes across the bedroom... But Gnomeo loves her good and gentle heart and forgives her foibles...

As for race restrictions. Disgusting really. Love should have no boundaries. Especially between the player races. What is a Dwarf, On the outside, but a short fat version of a human. And if a human thinks this (Although I'm not selling the love here) what does a Dwarf look to a Gnome then...

Preference should be considered. If you like men. Your not going to suddenly like women even with that 25 in charisma.

I feel the romance options should be tweaked in game but the only thing I can think of is something like Charisma having an effect (Viconia will only romance you with a charisma of 19 as you are a dwarf and Chaotic evil aligned)

So hard to solve...
    booinyoureyes
  • kcwisekcwise Member Posts: 2,287
    Helm of Opposite Romantic Interest!
    RavenslightbooinyoureyesButtercheese
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Tresset said:

from a developer's standpoint I don't see the point of applying such racial restrictions...

Perhaps the same reason that you can't have all the strongholds in one playthrough. It gives the game replay value variety for different race/classe/companion combinations.

Of course if you create a character he or she can be attracted to whomever you chose and the people who designed the NPCs didn't envision them falling for a Dwarf.
    kcwisebooinyoureyes
  • hisplshispls Member Posts: 166
    Tresset said:

I once heard that dragons could breed with any creature... I don't remember where though...

Which IMO likely stems from terribly misguided fan-fiction in order to justify some PC playing a half-dragon to break the game.

Considering how haughty and conceited dragons are supposed to be, why in the 9 hells would one stoop to breeding with a human? Barring some really twisted bestiality fetish...
    kcwise
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    hispls said:

Tresset said:

Which IMO likely stems from terribly misguided fan-fiction in order to justify some PC playing a half-dragon to break the game.

Considering how haughty and conceited dragons are supposed to be, why in the 9 hells would one stoop to breeding with a human? Barring some really twisted bestiality fetish...
    Because certain dragons find humans amusing, or perhaps breeding half dragons is a long term project . Maybe the dragon fell in love with a priestess of his patron deity, or perhaps the dragon likes to seduce mortals ...
    TressetkcwiseSmilingSwordButtercheese
    hispls said:

Tresset said:

from a developer's standpoint I don't see the point of applying such racial restrictions...

Perhaps the same reason that you can't have all the strongholds in one playthrough.
    Totally missed my point.

Whatever guys... I get that it makes sense from a realistic standpoint that the NPCs be picky about who they romance... I am just saying that if I were a dev I would follow the path that the EE devs obviously have and make romances not depend on race. If you are going to put content in a game you should make it available to all players. I am not saying make everyone romancable by everyone. That would be stupid. What I am saying is that if you are going to include a specific facet in your content (romances or strongholds, for example) then you should make at least a portion of that facet available to all players. Everyone can get a stronghold. Not everyone can get a romance. @Ravenslight gets where I am coming from at least.
    RavenslightkcwiseJuliusBorisov
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited March 2015
    Tresset said:

hispls said:

Tresset said:

Perhaps the same reason that you can't have all the strongholds in one playthrough.
    Totally missed my point.

Whatever guys... I get that it makes sense from a realistic standpoint that the NPCs be picky about who they romance... I am just saying that if I were a dev I would follow the path that the EE devs obviously have and make romances not depend on race. If you are going to put content in a game you should make it available to all players. I am not saying make everyone romancable by everyone. That would be stupid. What I am saying is that if you are going to include a specific facet in your content (romances or strongholds, for example) then you should make at least a portion of that facet available to all players. Everyone can get a stronghold. Not everyone can get a romance. @Ravenslight gets where I am coming from at least.
    But... even half orcs and dwarves can get a romance - why are you saying that not everyone can get a romance?

I mean, from a roleplaying point of view, it is perfectly understandable why Aerie , Anomen or Viconia won't date all races.
    Post edited by DJKajuru on
    RavenslightkcwiseSmilingSword
    DJKajuru said:

Tresset said:

hispls said:

Tresset said:

Totally missed my point.

But... even half orcs and dwarves can get a romance - why are you saying that not everyone can get a romance?

I mean, from a roleplaying point of view, it is perfectly understandable why Aerie , Anomen or Viconia won't date all races.
    @DJKajuru I was referring to the way it was in vBG2. Dwarves could not romance anyone back then if I understood @Jalily correctly. Obviously the new romances are open to just about everyone, but the old romances remain restricted even in EE.
    DJKajurukcwise
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Tresset said:

What I am saying is that if you are going to include a specific facet in your content (romances or strongholds, for example) then you should make at least a portion of that facet available to all players. Everyone can get a stronghold. Not everyone can get a romance.

Even looking at it from a developer-efficiency viewpoint (i.e. setting aside the immersion-enhancing credibilty of characters having definite and plausible preferences), I think you're missing a key point.

Developers don't merely want customers to play their game, they want customers to re-play it. All of the romances (like all of the strongholds) are available to all players ... but not all in one run. You've got to play through numerous times to sample all the possibilities, and multiple re-plays is what an RPG-dev wants to encourage.

kcwiseSmilingSwordButtercheese
  • HerrderGezeitenHerrderGezeiten Member Posts: 139

[This image is clean, by the way]

I'm not sure how reliable of a source this is, especially since I found a D&D cross-species that was incorrect according to this chart, but it's a nice general idea I suppose!
    About this chart -> [Y]es, [N]o, [M],......??? Maybe?
    kcwisebooinyoureyesJuliusBorisov
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    kcwiseVallmyrNonnahswriterJuliusBorisov
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    I prefer to have all romanceables unrestricted completely. If you feel like the character wouldn't romance your character, then don't romance them. Have romances player-initiated. Everyone plays RPGs their own way and I think it's better than the player decides for themselves what does and doesn't make sense to them. The beauty of gaming over movies or most books is that you have agency in the story and a say in what happens and how it happens.
    kcwise