Skip to content

What are your feelings about EE classes?

Namely:
Dwarven Defender
Shadowdancer
Blackguard
Sun soul monk
Dark moon monk
Dragon disciple

My opinion:
Shadowdancer is decent if you dual class him. Otherwise it is pretty bad. Like all thief kits though. As a dual class, it is strong when dualed with any other class. Permabackstab due to HIPS is strong as priest for priest has nice buffs (namely Righteous magic). I am still experimenting Shadowdancer/Mage. Looks to be quite good as well due to strong backstabbing with BBoD. However its low THAC0 makes it really dependent on Tenser. Shadowdancer/Fighter is strong as well (HLA shadow dancer ability which is an enhanced hardiness makes it really strong).

Blackguard: Its abilities are great (poison weapon on a warrior is insane), its disadvantages are not that annoying. Great character overall. The only unfortunate thing about it is that its unholy reaver is not even close to carsomyr (It still is decent thanks to dispel though). But it still is a very solid pick.

Sun soul monk: weaker than Dark Moon monk IMO. It is still a monk and therefore it is still strong (stronger than in the original game due to new monk items) , but dark moon monk is stronger.

Dark Moon Monk: really strong, its abilities are very very good for a monk: blur does get you quite low AC-wise (on a base -10 (monk base AC+18dex, with ring of gaxx, Ring of protection +3, dark moon cloak, some AC headgear, you are down to -21AC which is interesting even for ToB). Mirror image+ this is just insane, your enemy will need a long long time before starting to even hit you - long enough for you to kill them. Your cold touch is just a bread and butter ability. It is stackable, you have loads of uses. Of course it bypasses stoneskin. IMO dark moon monks really are the best new kit (considering new monk items)

Dragon disciple: much of a disappointment: I feel really short on spell all time. Their breath attack is good only for it bypasses magic resist. Meaning it is good only if you do not use the dragon breath spell. Who doesn't, except those who find it too cheesy? Its AC bonus are useless. A mage usually gets like -5AC. They get -9. Great, but it makes 0 difference for most enemies will hit you either way, and no one relies on AC as a mage. Fire resistance is not that interesting. I mean, if need be, you have tons of items to provide you fire resistance. Constitution only gives regeneration at a 1hp/turn rate. Basically useless (Except that rather than "slept for 24 days and 16hours till fully healed" you will have "slept for 1 day till fully healed"). None of this compensate the loss of one spellcast per spell level.

I have not tested dwarven defender. From what I have seen, it is quite strong.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I haven't used any of these yet , but if I ever do it will probably be the shadow dancer , for roleplaying reasons.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited March 2015
    Ehh...the shadowdancer is the only one that I would say is noticeably weaker than its base class. Its sort of funny too. It can make encounters in BGEE that would normally be difficult pretty easy, just because you can stop casters from successfully casting their spells, but it loses that strategy against a lot of the better spellcasters in BG2EE. It also requires too much micromanagement in my books to be the type of kit I would recommend in a party larger than 4.

I've played through the series with a Dragon Disciple for instance and I really didn't notice much of a difference with a vanilla sorcerer either way. Especially once you consider all the items you are granted (as well as HLA's I suppose) to boost the number of spells you can cast particularly in BG2EE. Also prior to you getting Improve Alacrity you are limited to one spell a round anyways and most places (especially in BG2EE) let you rest without having to worry about interruption (so access to spells isn't an issue). Once you can cast a single Time Stop and an Improved Alacrity any battle pretty much ends before an enemy is able to respond anyways, regardless of whether you are playing as a sorcerer or dragon disciple.

Ohh and the advantage with Breath Weapon is that you can use it to quickly disrupt magic resistant spellcasters long before you'll get access to Dragon's Breath and without worrying about them being immune to the spell (since it counts as a level 0 spell). Its especially useful against Liches as you can use it to stop them from using Time Stop. Due to an engine limitation technically even spellcasters who are immune to fire damage can have their spellcasting disrupted by it.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited March 2015
    Level 0 effects are so powerful. The only way to get immunity to them is with Otiluke's Resilient Sphere. And after testing the spell, I don't think you can actually use it on your own party and have any effect.
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,212
    They are for the most part interesting, but often too cute for my taste. I do not value utility very highly, and usually just go for brute force - and they do not beat the old and trusted class combinations in that respect.

The one new class/kit that is arguably the strongest is Blackguard. They are in fact at least some competition for the old guard, with some fairly strong effects. Sadly, they cannot use the ONE reason to take a Paladin along: Carsomyr. They get their own version, yes, but it is not as good nor as easily accessible. A pity. Still, I'll give ol' Blacky another go or two.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    In fact the only thing Dragon disciple really lacks IMO is additionnal uses of Breath Weapon. By the way I may have misformulated my opinions on this class. It is not bad, as it is still sorceror.
    @Lord_Tansheron : are you so sure about that? Is there anything that can outDPS a monk with righteous magic (which they can get now)? I really can't think of anything as strong as this.
  • MykraMykra Member Posts: 252
    I'd say I'm about 50/50 on them. To be fair, that would put them in-line with what I think of original Bioware kits, so I'd say they did a good job.

Dwarven Defender: This thing is just a munchkin kit. Let's take a Fighter, give him a Barbarian's HP's, and then make him even tankier and harder to kill. For downsides, you lose one pip in hammers and such. It's more of a downside than Bioware gave some classes, but this kit is just wonk.

Blackguard: I really like this kit. I'd never play it though because Dorn is my favorite of the EE introduced characters and fit's the kit perfectly. Plus, Inquisitor or bust when it comes to Paladin kits. (With SCS rebalancing or Kit Revisions. Vanilla Inquisitor is as bent as the D.Defender.) If I did make a Charname from the new classes, I'd probably go this way. Doesn't hurt that Item Revisions made the Unholy Reaver basically the Evil Carsomyr, so I'd have that going for me.

Shadowdancer: Incredibly interesting translation from PnP to video game, with interesting HLA's and Shadowstep is fun to play with. The class overall isn't that great, and begs to be dual'd out of pretty much costing you the neat HLA's, and leaving you as a limited assassin with neat-o Shadow powers twice(ish) a day. I don't like using Shadowkeeper for anything but bugs, so going a Shadowdancer/Other multi-class just isn't in the cards for me, even though it would fix a lot of it's problems. I should do a start-to-finish run of the trilogy as this and see if my opinion changes as I really want to like this kit.

Dragon Disciple: Not worth it imo. Sorc is my favorite class in the game and I was so psyched to see we were finally getting a kit for them. I have no desire to play this kit. I don't like the implementation of Dragon Disciple into the game, and what I have to trade spell-slots for doesn't interest me at all. I do like the theme of a Dragonblooded Bhaalspawn PC, I just don't like this kit. Maybe there's some mods that would change my opinion on it.

Monks: I've never been a fan of Monks in PnP or video games. It's nothing against what Beamdog did, it's just not for me personally. I know they have a good fanbase in the BG series, I'm just not one of them so I didn't enjoy this class in BG1 at all (I especially didn't like how they just loaded up Rasaad with gear to cover up how crap Monks are at low-level) and I've had no desire to try them in BG2.

So I like the Blackguard and Shadowdancer. Not a fan of the DDis and DDef, and have nothing (good or bad) to say on Monks as they just aren't for me.
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    IMO the Shadowdancer is the cheesiest and most overpowered kit of all times. HiPS alone will completely break all BG1, like a "disable AI" cheat code, and it will also destroy 95% of BG2.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    I like them! The more kits there're available, the more choices for a character I have. This is actually a very good thing when taking into account the number of runs through the series I've got.

And I want more. Additional kits in the Adventure Y. And I mean not only Priest of Tempus and Priest of Tyr from IWDEE but actual new kits. Something for a bard or for a druid.
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    I really love the Shadowdancer kit but it suffers from the same base problem as the Assassin kit, which is low Thac0 at high levels. So it really needs dualing one way or the other. Unlike the assassin kit however, shadowdancer offers utility to other classes besides fighter. HiPS allows some great combinations, and management, to mages fe..

Both the monk kits are great but they aren't all that more powerful than the standard monk. Their abilities are good trade-offs. Monks get an ability bonus of 14 more AC at lvl 35 anyway. Which is mentined nowhere but it happens nevertheless. So you can get your monk to -20 AC even without any gear.

Dragon Disciple is awesome. You get more hp (hit dice is d6 instead of d4 on the standard sorc), more AC, more Con (up to 23 I think, with hell trials and MoLtM), a breath weapon and a Fire immunity. This leaves you more open on gear choices. So what if there's 9 less total spell uses per day?
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    The design of the EE kits is rather questionable, from ridiculously powerful Blackguard to the incredibly dull, gimpy (unless we take into account breaking the AI scripts with Shadow Step, that is) Shadowdancer. Then again, many vanilla kits have even less to offer, balance-wise (e. g.: consider Beastmaster, Wizard Slayer, or non-Blade bards vs the likes of Inquisitor or Blade), so they are fine considering the larger context, I guess. Could be better designed, sure enough, but they definitely do their job by adding more flavor/variety to the game.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    @Tisamon

If we're going to talk about overpowered, the vanilla Sorcerer is number one, since day one of BG2 too.
    This own doesn't even need a casting stat, unlike 3E.

While the Blackguard is powerful, the Inquisitor destroys mages, paired with Carsormyr. His Dispel is actually even more powerful than in PnP.
    In ADnD it's supposed to be only 1.5x, not 2x.

By the way, the Shadowdancer is a defensive class in 3E and it's a defensive class here.
    It doesn't have Poison Weapon or tons of Backstab or THAC0 bonuses like the Swashbuckler.
    But it can survive better than them.

He can Hide in Plain Sight all the time, making it a great survivalist or scout or thief or even backstabber that instead of doing one huge backstab, it delivers it in parts and he can do that all day.
    Plus Shadow Jump which puts him out of harm's way.

In 3E, the Shadowdancer gets no Sneak Attack (Backstab) bonus. It is used purely for evasion, stealth and getting you out of trouble.

• YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    Archaos said:

In 3E, the Shadowdancer gets no Sneak Attack (Backstab) bonus. It is used purely for evasion, stealth and getting you out of trouble.

Isn't Shadowdancer a prestige class in 3E? So that if you are a lvl 1 Shadowdancer, you alrdy need to have levels in another class, a thief for example? So while a Shadowdancer doesn't Sneak Attack, you already get it from the other class. Atleast that's how it was in NwN.
  • TisamonTisamon Member Posts: 209
    @Archaos

>If we're going to talk about overpowered, the vanilla Sorcerer is number one, since day one of BG2 too.

Well, yes, probably it can be phrased this way as well (though I'd prefer something along the lines of: "the limitations of Infinity Engine games are such that arcane casters generally perform much better than any other class"). That wasn't my point anyway, though.
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    Yannir said:

Isn't Shadowdancer a prestige class in 3E? So that if you are a lvl 1 Shadowdancer, you alrdy need to have levels in another class, a thief for example? So while a Shadowdancer doesn't Sneak Attack, you already get it from the other class. Atleast that's how it was in NwN.

Yes, it's a prestige class which can be unlocked by any class that gets stealth.

You can be a Rogue (Thief) Shadowdancer, a Monk Shadowdancer, a Ranger Shadowdancer or even Bard Shadowdancer.

But the class itself has no offensive abilities. No sneak attack or offensive spells. Just Hide in Plain Sight, illusions etc.
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Shadowdancer
    edited March 2015
    Arunsun said:

@Lord_Tansheron : are you so sure about that? Is there anything that can outDPS a monk with righteous magic (which they can get now)? I really can't think of anything as strong as this.

Kensai -> Mage? Aren't monks immune to Improved Haste? It's been a while since I last played one, did the EE change that? Them not having IH essentially cuts their damage in half. Terrible :(

Not to mention that their fist damage is somewhat deceptive. 1d20 looks like a lot, but it's actually only 1.5 average damage points higher than a +5 longsword (11 avg dmg vs. 9.5). And then there's the weapon proficiency bonuses, which push things even further.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Arunsun said:

Is there anything that can outDPS a monk with righteous magic (which they can get now)

Monks can use strength potions and other items to increase their strength. However, unless you are using a kit mod though I'm not aware of there isn't any monk kit that grants Righteous Magic.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    No Improved Haste = no deal. Who needs AC anyway, ToB enemy THAC0s are beyond ridiculous.
    It's worth pointing out that the Monk doesn't need Improved Haste if it uses Greater Whirlwind Attack.

And it's worth pointing out that the Monk has to sacrifice Hardiness to get GWW.

But it's also worth pointing out that not casting IH on a Monk frees up a 6th-level spell slot for PFMW, Pierce Magic, or IH on another character.

There are tradeoffs all over the place. Monks are hard to compare with fighters, since their powers are so dissimilar. I'd say Monks are simply the more defensive option: they do less damage, but they're less likely to get disabled or die.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440
    Dwarven defenders are unreal. It is by far the best kit addition to the game. Whenever I make a dwarven fighter, I use axes and hammers. So why not pick a class that is a perfectly useful alternative for the stereotypical dwarf fighter?
    I've never played a Dwarven Defender, but based on what I've heard about Defensive Stance, the kit really seems game-breaking if you give it Defender of Easthaven. Do EE enemies have the AI to target other characters, or stand back from the invincible dwarf? The fact that a dwarf gets save bonuses means it also has excellent resistance to magic as well.

Letting some enemies kite a DD in Defensive Stance would make the kit more balanced. But then, if we're going to balance out the kits, I usually prefer to strengthen weak classes rather than weaken strong classes. And it wouldn't be much fun to get kited by faster characters.
    DD sounds very strong, but almost overkill. And let's face it, the trusted fighter/mage dual is also virtually unkillable if you like it to be, while retaining weapon type flexibility (terrible axes for the most part) and grandmastery. Shorty saving throws are much more important in BG1, in BG2 you very quickly reach very high levels with good enough saves on any race.
  • dockaboomskidockaboomski Member Posts: 440

Do EE enemies have the AI to target other characters, or stand back from the invincible dwarf?

I doubt the vanilla EE has it, but with SCS or other AI mods that might happen.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    @Lord_Tansheron
    Hmm, may I remind you of the HLAs that grant you 10APR for one round? As you will need no other abilities ( critical strike would be less worth, and ( @semiticgod ) hardiness unneeded as you won't ever be hit) you will have a fair amount of these
    By the way read to the end: Enemy lowest THAC0 is -8, maybe a bit lower for some enemy archer, but you do have a natural trumendous bonus against missile weapon as a monk . I must agree that having an AC between -10 and -20 will not actually change a lot of things. But beyond -20 it does matter, it really does. Like I said, no enemy is able to hit you even with their "ridiculously low THAC0", just because your AC is beyond ridiculously low.

Dwarven Defender (I suggest we shorten them with DDef rathar than just DD not to confuse with Dragon Disciple) are certainly outrageously strong for BG1 and quite a big part of SoA, but as it has already been said, in the end mages can be more tanky, and even DDef apparently huge tankiness may appear not to be that good in ToB.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    Well, the Improved Hasted dual wielding fighter/mage has no need for GWW so Critical Strike here we come ;)

As an alternative to dual classed kensai->mage ;)
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I would also mention that the monk can use one of the girdles for additional defense vs blunt, slashing or piercing to push their effective AC even lower against the applicable attack type.
    Yes, you can push your AC to outrageous levels, and yes, that'll stop hits even from the ToB sillies. However, AC has other problems that make it less valuable. For once, it doesn't work at all while under most CC effects, stun, timestop, etc. all make AC useless. But the much bigger factor is that most of the damage you take is either a) avoidable in some other way (e.g. not standing in the wrong place) or b) magical. That last one especially is a HUGE part of ToB, particularly with SCS & friends. Actually getting clobbered by things is usually not a big issue, actually. Getting pelted with terrible spells IS. And AC does absolutely nothing against that.

As for the GWW debate: sure you can use GWW to push your APR. You lose out on another HLA and an action for the turn you activate it, plus you're limited by the uses you have available. IH on the other hand lasts MUCH longer and can be combined with other HLAs for even MORE effect (Critical Strike mostly, which will increase damage even against crit-immune enemies by granting 100% hit chance). And that's just the APR side of things, and not talking about weapon effects like the +STR bonuses of CFae or Angurvadal, elemental damage to pierce SS, etc. Not to mention that a Fighter hybrid will also have a tremendous advantage over a Monk because of the second class, whatever it be.

I'm not saying Monks are "bad" or anything like that. I don't like to make blanket judgments. It's just that for a physical melee DPS, they have less throughput and less utility than alternatives.
    @Arunsun: Yes, you WILL get hit. A Monk's AC can be pretty great, but this isn't IWD2, when you can get 95% miss chance on a properly built character. No character is going to going to avoid ever getting hit unless it is a mage with PFMW. Many characters in TOB have negative THAC0 (Melissan has -14) and your AC caps out at -24. Even with damage-specific AC modifiers, the enemy has a reliable chance of hitting you by the time you get Hardiness. Only PFMW, or always staying out of range, forever, will prevent hits entirely. And we're talking about Hardiness, which is only available to fighters in the first place. The only fighter that won't benefit greatly from Hardiness is a Fighter/Mage. And I don't believe anybody in this thread has brought up the example of Fighter/Mages anyway, as this is a discussion of EE classes. So PFMW is not even an option for the classes we're discussing.

Two castings of GWW can give you an extra 10 APR over 2 rounds. That's not bad. But two castings of Hardiness will make any fighter nearly invincible, for 9 rounds. Since that allows you to live longer and continue fighting longer, that translates to an extra 27-45 APR.

GWW is excellent at breaking through Stoneskin and interrupting spells. But Hardiness is an extremely useful ability, and though I agree AC is indeed underrated among the BG2 community, it's not going to negate the utility of Hardiness. Hardiness is still a big deal.