Skip to content

Who is the best archer in Baldur's Gate?

SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
Kivan or Coran?
  1. Who is the best archer in Baldur's Gate?235 votes
    1. Kivan
      54.04%
    2. Coran
      45.96%

Comments

• SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    No contest.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    For the stats, Coran is better then Kivan (20 dex, +++ in long bow), but for some reason Kivan always did more kills when I had them both in my party. And as a fighter, when for some reason they can't use bows, Kivan has better strenght. I don't know, who is your favourite?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Coran is a womanising pleasure seeker you could take to the pub.

Kivan is a miserable, bandit hater you would struggle to have a conversation with.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    There was a massive thread about this on game FAQs, I'm not a number cruncher myself but the answer was Coran (despite the Kivan's portrait suggesting otherwise).
    The problem with Coran (not related to this poll, just a thought) is that you find him later in the game, Kivan on the other hand is easy to find really soon so you can "build him up" more
  • Corto81Corto81 Member Posts: 18
    Kivan.

His portrait has a dude aiming with a bow.
    Auto-win.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    That is, of course, assuming that you haven't modded Kivan as an Archer. Then, of course, he easily takes the lead.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Sure, I'm talking vanilla.
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    Kivan. So much so that I've never adventured with Coran O.o Need to remedy that...
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324
    Surprised that Kivan's got so many votes. @Moomintroll demonstrated pretty well that Coran gets the edge.

I guess Kivan's more common, and I suppose you could make the argument for him being the more useful archer because he's around earlier and so can be used to cheese difficult battles at low level (he can ice those Sirines and probably even the Flesh Golems pretty early, provided he's got people to block them, which is a metric ton of XP at that point in the game)
    edited August 2012

Couldn't find the thread I was after, here are some numbers from CFM at gamebanshee however.

Kivan at 161xp: level 8 warrior
    13 Base THAC0,
    +2 bonus Missile THAC0 from Dex 17,
    +1 bonus THAC0 from Bow Specialization.
    This equals an Adjusted THAC0 of 7 with a bow.

Coran at 161xp: level 7 warrior multi-class
    14 Base THAC0,
    +3 bonus Missile THAC0 from Dex 20,
    +3 bonus THAC0 from Bow Mastery.
    This equals an Adjusted THAC0 of 5 with a bow.

Although, being a single-class warrior, Kivan would get increases in Base THAC0 just a little quicker throughout the game. But, Coran also gets a +3 damage bonus from Bow Mastery, whereas Kivan only gets a +2 damage bonus from Bow Specialization.

Thank you for posting this, I remembered only a few of these specifics. Then Coran wins hands down :)
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Coran is a better NPC loaded with features, aside from being a better archer, but he comes too late in the game to be a reliable pick. Same problems with many other NPC's, like Alora, a halfling thief with 19 dex, by far the best thief in the game.
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    Interestingly I have never used Coran (maybe 8 playthroughs of BG1) . . .

Kivan has a better portrait.

Always go with the potrait, who cares if he's a dour elf. His portrait is Badass gentlemen.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    I've tried plenty of both, and in the end Kivan just gets more damn kills. Thank you MoominTroll for posting those stats.

Coran irks me with his seemingly useless Thief class, to be honest. I don't like him hogging experience towards something that to me means very little. He just doesn't seem to be that good of a thief, especially since you pick him up late and he's bound to have a bunch of skills you don't care about. He may as well be a Fighter.

While Coran is excellent with a bow Kivan can hold his own a lot better in many different situations. And theoretically so could Coran, but once again he always has heinous skills you likely don't want. (For instance, far too much put into Hide In Shadows when that can be remedied with the many Boots of Stealth and/or Shadow Armor. And his Find Traps? Awful.)

Oh, and since BG:EE will use the BG2 engine, that means Coran won't be able to wield a Composite. Kivan wins now. ;D
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    Coran also gets another -1 Thac0 from 21 dex which widens the gap even further.

As for damage, some bows and arrows were bugged and applied STR bonus to bows. that would explain the seemingly wrong statistics.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Kivan. Coran is badass too, though. They make a formidable team. Pair them up and between them they can probably get 90% of the kills.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Kivan is a thousand times a better archer than Coran.

Why? 18 strength, therefore the ability to use Composite Long Bows.
    Quartz said:

Oh, and since BG:EE will use the BG2 engine, that means Coran won't be able to wield a Composite. Kivan wins now. ;D

I haven't thought about that! That will make a big difference, I think I'll choose Kivan in bgee...
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    No Shar-Teel or Khalid options?
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    decado said:

No Shar-Teel or Khalid options?

Thank God, no. I'm not going to lie, I get a little tired of people telling me they're better archers. Technically yes, if you pick them up ASAP and spend the entire rest of the game trying to get them as good, then by the end of the game, they will be better. ...And then what do you have left, Durlag's Tower. I just don't see the point, that's all.
    @Quartz I was going to answer exactly like you did, ready to post Khalid and Shar-teel proficiencies and stats, but you made the point fair enought, Lol ^^
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    edited August 2012
    Kivan's portrait is better for an archer, but Coran's dex is higher than Kivan's. I like Kivan more but Coran seems to be more precise with a bow, however, i choose Kivan.
    Post edited by Djimmy on
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    Both are exellent. In the end Kivan is more effective but Coran is just more fun.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    edited August 2012
    Quartz said:

Thank God, no. I'm not going to lie, I get a little tired of people telling me they're better archers. Technically yes, if you pick them up ASAP and spend the entire rest of the game trying to get them as good, then by the end of the game, they will be better. ...And then what do you have left, Durlag's Tower. I just don't see the point, that's all.

Ah, so we mean who is the most playable rather than who is the best. Fair enough.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Aenor said:

Both are exellent. In the end Kivan is more effective but Coran is just more fun.

Coran's quest is pretty darn good, actually.
  • PhælinPhælin Member Posts: 316
    edited August 2012
    Kivan is your typical elven archer - just what you would expect in a fantasy world. Coran, on the other hand, may be original, but he really (and I mean it) really gets less frags when both of them are together. Stats and numbers are fun, but the practical use will unveil the truth. Plus, Coran looks like a hobo - truly the ugliest elf of all.
  • SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    I always take Kivan early.

I've used Coran maybe twice.
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    Definitely Coran unless you make Kivan an archer via Tutu or BGT. ;)
  • SallparadiseSallparadise Member Posts: 94
    I've used both, and both are good but....

It's Coran. 20 Dexterity and 3 points in Bow. Simple as that.