Skip to content

Mordenkainen's sword

Does anybody know where to find a Mordenkainen's sword scroll in Soa? I have completed almost all the quests and I am yet to find this treasure.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,739
    It's actually a somewhat common randomly-dropped scroll.

You can always find it in the Spellhold in a room near the Lich (same area as the Vampire and the Kobolds).

You can buy it in the Underdark: Carlig (a duergar merchant) sells it. Also, you can buy it in Throne of Bhaal in Saradush: Lazarus Librarus sells it after you return his spellbook to him.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think you have to be a drow to get it from Carlig. Carlig's inventory changes if you're in drow form, and visiting him after Adalon gives you access to some extra items.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    If you have EE, go check one of the barrels of the hidden refuge, I think one contains the spell.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Arunsun said:

If you have EE, go check one of the barrels of the hidden refuge, I think one contains the spell.

That stuff is all random.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266

I think you have to be a drow to get it from Carlig. Carlig's inventory changes if you're in drow form, and visiting him after Adalon gives you access to some extra items.

Never noticed his store changed... Probably because it didn't add anything significant.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,266
    bengoshi said:

You can always find it in the Spellhold in a room near the Lich (same area as the Vampire and the Kobolds).

That is random stuff too.

But there is one that always appears in a chest in the Thayvian Enclave in Waukeen's Promenade. This is a part of Neera's SoA quest.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    elminster said:

Arunsun said:

That stuff is all random.
    Is it? Twice I picked Neera and twice I had Mordenkainen Sword in the same barrel. Maybe it was just a coincidence, never mind my comment then.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2015
    Big, bad Skeleton warriors tend to drop one as a random loot, sometimes. They have also dropped ruby ray, sequencer, and horrid wilting scrolls in my games. Or Laeral's tears necklaces which are really worth the trouble of storing inside the gem bag and selling for quick gold. (Sells for 1800 gp or so)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Spell Trigger is also random loot, unfortunately, at least until TOB and Lazarus Librarus. I just came across a Spell Trigger scroll, though... in an all-Archer run, where nobody can use it.